Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Louisiana has a jungle election system where November 8 is the primary election and then the top two vote getters have a runoff election December 10th, unless one candidate gets over 50% on November 8th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

That really depends on your perspective and priorities, but I'd generally say quite excellent, but with certain very negative externalities.

Look, I'm no Iron Rose but I do think that US military dominance plays a role in guaranteeing world stability that many who view it as self-evident graft take for granted. And I also think that posters of the JFairfax persuasion, who want to use past atrocities as a bludgeon against even discussing how US political power, including military capability, can be used as a force for good, need to be called out as the obstructionist, equivocating, facile hacks they are (As an aside, it's also always interesting to see what examples they pick and choose from US history--tankies never seem to care about Patrice Lumumba :().

If you fundamentally disagree with that stance then yeah spend it all on massive over-engineered public art megaprojects or something, sure.

Please defend the money spent on the F-35 as better invested there, instead of into art, or megaprojects like bridge-repair, road maintenance, or dam maintenance

I don't have an issue with US military capability. I have an issue with the relentless masturbatory money-funnel that hurls taxpayer money at Boeing and Northrop-Grummond instead of at schools.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Pakled posted:

The debate is four Republicans (including Duke) and two Democrats.

Duke is running as a republican?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bassetking posted:

Please defend the money spent on the F-35 as better invested there, instead of into art, or megaprojects like bridge-repair, road maintenance, or dam maintenance

I don't have an issue with US military capability. I have an issue with the relentless masturbatory money-funnel that hurls taxpayer money at Boeing and Northrop-Grummond instead of at schools.

If it makes you feel better, it's probably not an "X or Y'. It's "X or nothing".

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Complaint Compilation posted:

Duke is running as a republican?

is that really a surprise at this point?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you fundamentally disagree with that stance then yeah spend it all on massive over-engineered public art megaprojects or something, sure.

Yeah, those are the only options. Reckless military spending or public art projects. God for-loving-bid we invest in schools or public health or infrastructure or anything else.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

is that really a surprise at this point?

Can't the LAGOP forbid him from running as one?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bassetking posted:

First, you'll have to get the land to make those units. Good loving luck doing that without eminent domain, or going so far away from where the people would be living otherwise that you'd need to also build and maintain high-speed light-rail in order for them to get to and from work.

High-speed rail and light rail are generally opposite things yo - high speed rail is large heavy rail vehicles traveling long distances (because otherwise you spend very little time at the high speed instead of in speeding up and slowing down), light rail generally doesn't travel faster than like 70 mph because it's serving multiple close together stops in a local area. That aside, many of the places that need public housing most badly actually have a lot of semi-empty rundown areas that it wouldn't cost much to simply buy out as normal, rather than enforce the buy-out via eminent domain.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Barbe Rouge posted:

This is what I was wondering, is there a concrete political equivalent of the phrase "No. gently caress you?"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

there wolf posted:

But how good of one?

The US military I hear is actually fairly effective at being an anti-poverty measure because of the job training aspects that open up doors and avenues for prosperity once you get out.

But you know, if we had like a one world government we wouldn't need to have a military except as Just In Case for Aliens, disaster relief, and whatever rebels and insurrectionists resisting the world government happen to be running around. A huge sum of money is spent on maintaining nuclear stockpiles for example, that isn't needed.

Keeping some military craft in working order just to keep certain skill sets from dying out I don't object to of course but once the entire world is your oyster you just have so much excess that could be more efficiently redirected and used to solve real world problems.

How serious is development on arcologies for instance? Do we have plans for adding another 3 billion people? Where will there live? Do we start colonizing the ocean with those underwater skyscrappers? I feel like the funds are there once you stop worrying about some countries lobbing nukes at you.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

freckle posted:

Louisiana can't sink into the sea fast enough.

Good call, it was definitely white folks that suffered the last time that happened.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Public housing is politically toxic to a lot of politicians and voters because if you build public houses you might start to depricate the value of all the houses people own, thus scuppering the Thatcherite dream that is buying a house and it magically accruing value forever with no negative consequences for the rest of the economy.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

High-speed rail and light rail are generally opposite things yo - high speed rail is large heavy rail vehicles traveling long distances (because otherwise you spend very little time at the high speed instead of in speeding up and slowing down), light rail generally doesn't travel faster than like 70 mph because it's serving multiple close together stops in a local area. That aside, many of the places that need public housing most badly actually have a lot of semi-empty rundown areas that it wouldn't cost much to simply buy out as normal, rather than enforce the buy-out via eminent domain.

Those areas have cash strapped local governments that have trouble keeping things like the streets paved and the lights on, so there would have to be a steady long term federal government source of funding that can't be easily hosed with for the public housing to succeed

e: if we got rid of the mortgage interest tax deduction for people making over like $100k and took that money and put it in a federal public housing program would that be enough money on its own?

rscott fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 22, 2016

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/cher/status/789898335104622593
The best secret follows of this election are Cher, John Dingell, and Bill Mitchell.

Haha I love that she dropped into non-caps for that.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/vaughnhillyard/status/789909745717112832

What are the issues this man is referring to? Does it involve people that are not white?

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

big money big clit posted:

Good call, it was definitely white folks that suffered the last time that happened.

Yes thats what I meant.

And not the fact that global warming with have a good chunk of it under water in at least a century.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Barbe Rouge posted:

Complaint Compilation posted:

This is what I was wondering, is there a concrete political equivalent of the phrase "No. gently caress you?"

No. When Duke ran for governor and got the nomination, the state GOP endorsed his opponent with the tagline "Vote for the Crook -- It's Important".

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

What are the issues this man is referring to? Does it involve people that are not white?

Conservative economic policies are weirdly popular when polled in isolation, but still wouldn't help Trump win.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mr Hootington posted:

Much like during September I wished it was the heady days of August and the seemingly ever-growing landslide to come, here in October (and soon to be November) the Trump Voter dreams of the days when they were almost maybe sorta tied.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Teddybear posted:

No. When Duke ran for governor and got the nomination, the state GOP endorsed his opponent with the tagline "Vote for the Crook -- It's Important".

Yeah, I read about that. The "wizards under the sheets" quote is pure gold.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

That really depends on your perspective and priorities, but I'd generally say quite excellent, but with certain very negative externalities.

Look, I'm no Iron Rose but I do think that US military dominance plays a role in guaranteeing world stability that many who view it as self-evident graft take for granted. And I also think that posters of the JFairfax persuasion, who want to use past atrocities as a bludgeon against even discussing how US political power, including military capability, can be used as a force for good, need to be called out as the obstructionist, equivocating, facile hacks they are (As an aside, it's also always interesting to see what examples they pick and choose from US history--tankies never seem to care about Patrice Lumumba :().

If you fundamentally disagree with that stance then yeah spend it all on massive over-engineered public art megaprojects or something, sure. Whatever can generate around a million jobs and retain the services of enough advanced engineering and manufacturing firms to keep that whole sector alive. Also there would be some internal economic displacement from base closures.

I'm really just interested in how effective the military is at employing people and having them move on to something better after they leave since I've never known anyone who stayed in the service till retirement age and then just sat back and collected a pension.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

That makes sense to me. In my defense, I've never been to NYC, and the parts of US cities I've seen were very segregated.

NYC is absolutely not segregated like that. In fact where the show is set is an ethnic neighborhood with tons and tons of minorities, even more than white people, so it makes it especially heinous. You'd be shocked about how many white people come to Brooklyn and are surprised it's mostly black and brown people considering tv shows set in Brooklyn feature nothing but white people (except Brooklyn Nine Nine).

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Teddybear posted:

I don't think that slogan came from the GOP, and don't think there was an actual endorsement from the state party. Buddy Roemer endorsed Edwards though, as did George HW Bush.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Just saw a Pro-Trump PAC Bengazi commercial on TV that had pictures of Vilerat and had his mom talking about all the poo poo and it just made me furious. Please let this election season end :smith:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Please don't bully the F-35, they're almost done with the firmware update that will let it use its guns.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

speng31b posted:

Conservative economic policies are weirdly popular when polled in isolation, but still wouldn't help Trump win.

:ssh: People are very FYGM.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
*still falls out of the air for no reason, can get owned by a guy in a hang glider with an 22LR*

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

freckle posted:

Yes thats what I meant.

And not the fact that global warming with have a good chunk of it under water in at least a century.

Yea, it's going to be very good when all of the poor and heavily black parts of the state are underwater. Good call. That'll show those people who voted for David Duke!

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Phone posted:

*still falls out of the air for no reason, can get owned by a guy in a hang glider with an 22LR*

"Because it crosses the international date line" is actually funnier than "for no reason"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

gfsincere posted:

NYC is absolutely not segregated like that. In fact where the show is set is an ethnic neighborhood with tons and tons of minorities, even more than white people, so it makes it especially heinous. You'd be shocked about how many white people come to Brooklyn and are surprised it's mostly black and brown people considering tv shows set in Brooklyn feature nothing but white people (except Brooklyn Nine Nine).

I'm reminded of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUc0vbSlanM

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yea, it's going to be very good when all of the poor and heavily black parts of the state are underwater. Good call. That'll show those people who voted for David Duke!

I apologize for my flippant post.

freckle fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 22, 2016

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Let me tell you about Denham Springs, and why its white majority (78%) deserved to be flooded.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

speng31b posted:

Conservative economic principles are weirdly popular, but conservative economic policies are not.

Do you want smaller government with fewer services or bigger government with more services?

Smaller government wins by double digits.

What parts of the federal government should we spend more on? What should we spend less on?

Every single category of spending, except for foreign aid, people want more spending on.

Defense, education, healthcare, welfare, police, infrastructure, and literally everything else has majority support for more spending.

Bootstraps polls extremely well, but people also think that the system is rigged when they are disadvantaged.

People really like the idea of small government, individual responsibility, and bootstraps. But when you ask them to adopt specific policies to support those ideas, they hate it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What is the best jet? It is the F-15C Eagle. For more information, see Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

"Because it crosses the international date line" is actually funnier than "for no reason"

*falls out of the sky for multiple reasons, can still get out outmaneuvered by a guy in a hang glider with a 22LR*

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mr Hootington posted:

literally depressed voter turnout dot vid

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Volcott posted:

What is the best jet? It is the F-15C Eagle. For more information, see Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.

Fun fact: I rented that at Blockbuster when I was younger and I misread the title as "The Balkan War" so I thought I'd be flying missions over Kosovo or something like that but nope.
It was a great game though

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Volcott posted:

Please don't bully the F-35, they're almost done with the firmware update that will let it use its guns.

It still cant fly in the winter months, which is doubly funny when they continue to try to get Canada back on board with buying it. Please buy this expensive plane that will only work for 6 months of the year. :v:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

skylined! posted:

literally depressed voter turnout dot vid

Is it cruel of me to hope for a super cut video of just sad people in MAGA hats standing in line to vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Bassetking posted:

First, you'll have to get the land to make those units. Good loving luck doing that without eminent domain, or going so far away from where the people would be living otherwise that you'd need to also build and maintain high-speed light-rail in order for them to get to and from work.

Second, once you've cleared those massive logistical hurdles, you now have two further issues staring at you. If you went way-the-gently caress out of the city in order to build homes for people, congrats, you just displaced a population from their communities and culture in favor of white people with money. OR you've enraged the white people with money by telling them no, and by building housing for poors near their nice new gentrification-zones, and we'll see White-Flight rear its head once again.

You then also have the hideous shadowy specter of Big Government interfering with The Invisible Hand Of The Market Place by setting affordable rent for poor people, when upstanding white hard working Americans are denied that opportunity.

It boils down to "You'd need a poo poo-ton of political capital to get this done, and we're having to spend exorbitant amounts just to fill potholes, and keep the homeless from being hunted for sport."

I see.

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

public housing's been a thing for nearly a century

while it's largely shifted to private management (section 8) there's still pockets of government-run public housing

I mean having public housing be a huge force in general that just doesn't focus on poor residents. Like a city where the government rents out 33% of all apartments or more.

pumpinglemma posted:

BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE COMMUNISM. (We did this in the UK for quite a long time, it worked well, then Thatcher pretty much sold the lot and banned councils from building more. Now most of the old council houses are being rented out to the next generation at extortionate prices.)

Sad.

• Locked thread