Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I mean conceptually.

I was making a pun, or a play on words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oh, well uh I guess I'm an idiot then. :smith:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Is it just me or do they give the Federation mobile suits really early on in Origin?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Panzeh posted:

Is it just me or do they give the Federation mobile suits really early on in Origin?

They do, but the suits are also poo poo because they've been playing catch up with Zeon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's one of the things I liked about Origin actually.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xarbala posted:

That's one of the things I liked about Origin actually.

Yeah, I'm fine with the Gundam being their first good Mobile Suit, instead of just getting there from nothing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panzeh posted:

They do but it makes a lot more sense. The early prototype mobile suits are very crappy and where Zeon excels isn't in creating mobile suits but making the first real war-ready ones. It makes more sense technology-wise and helps explain why Zeon's blitzkrieg tactics were so important.

The Guntank being the lovely prototype rather than one of the three top-of-the-line suits also makes a lot more sense.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
drat, the two parter "rescue" of Leina in ZZ is intense. It's up there with the best of Zeta.

Roux is the best: "Stop being such a wimp! If you wallow in sentiment, you'll be the next to die! That would make Leina's death completely meaningless."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

drat, the two parter "rescue" of Leina in ZZ is intense. It's up there with the best of Zeta.

Roux is the best: "Stop being such a wimp! If you wallow in sentiment, you'll be the next to die! That would make Leina's death completely meaningless."

I also like how the rest of the series keeps making it more and more impressive that Judau managed to do that to Haman.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Roux feels like a Zeta character who accidentally ended up in ZZ instead.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's a pity how much damage one little line manages to do to her character, though. "I'll never forget that you loved me." Goddamnit, Tomino, a girl finally getting to obliterate the megalomaniac paedophile who's been stalking her for most of the series is not a tragedy. Stop trying to make it one.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I mean....if hitler was in love with you, and you absolutely despised him, and you got to blow him up, I figure that would be pretty memorable.

I simply interpret the scene a smidge differently, and it makes it a lot better. And more :godwin:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah I kinda read her saying that as a one last "gently caress you" in a way

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah I kinda read her saying that as a one last "gently caress you" in a way

That'd be nice, but the tone of her voice just doesn't fit for that. Kind of like how the tone of Haman's voice (in the Japanese audio, at least, the dub is quite another story) makes it clear that when Mashmyre dies, she's trying hard to convince herself it's no big deal and not really succeeding.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Hey y'all could you identify this gundam for me. I found It cleaning out my garage and can't figure out which anime its from. I also found the heavy weapons guy from gundam wing and the shining gundam from the fighting tournament one. This one is definitely the highest quality out of several

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Pookum posted:

Hey y'all could you identify this gundam for me. I found It cleaning out my garage and can't figure out which anime its from. I also found the heavy weapons guy from gundam wing and the shining gundam from the fighting tournament one. This one is definitely the highest quality out of several http://imgur.com/tmlrezy
http://imgur.com/sIZdot9

It's the EZ-8 from gundam 08th ms team

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

Droyer posted:

It's the EZ-8 from gundam 08th ms team

Thanks that's bad rear end man, replied before I could even fix the IMG tags. Is that one worth watching?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Looks like a Ground Gundam from 08th MS but you may want to pose it on a flat surface under bright lights and take a picture from the front, without a cat as a mount. :v:

e;fb and it was the Ez-8.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life

drat the only accessory I still have is his jetpack.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Pookum posted:

Thanks that's bad rear end man, replied before I could even fix the IMG tags. Is that one worth watching?

It's pretty good, has some problems but I like it. It's the most "grounded" (if you'll excuse the pun) gundam gets, with the possible exception of the currently airing show. If you like the idea of ordinary soldiers trying to make it out of the war alive then i'd say it's worth checking out.

Also you still haven't fixed the img tags.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Grounded sounds good. I liked gundam wing and the fighting tournament one but they had some out there moments. I saw all them as a child so I may be misremembering, although that does give me an excuse to go back and watch them all!!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Pookum posted:

Grounded sounds good. I liked gundam wing and the fighting tournament one but they had some out there moments. I saw all them as a child so I may be misremembering, although that does give me an excuse to go back and watch them all!!

G Gundam is good, Wing not so much. If you do rewatch it and end up liking G I suggest you check out the director's other stuff. He's really good in general.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EZ-8 is the chilliest robot name

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
The first half of 08th MS Team is fantastic, the second is pretty meh. The action is excellent the whole way through though and it's pretty short.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
What would be the best way to stream G Gundam and 8th MS? I'm just phone searching now and the links I'm finding don't look all that legitimate.

Well looks like g gundam is on YouTube at least

Pookum fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 22, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pookum posted:

What would be the best way to stream G Gundam and 8th MS? I'm just phone searching now and the links I'm finding don't look all that legitimate.

Well looks like g gundam is on YouTube at least

I see a bunch of YouTube playlists for G.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
08th ms team suffers from a poor antagonist, a rocky second half and ends on an episode that should not exist

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How is Gundam Thunderbolt for someone that hasn't seen Gundam, goons

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

TheKingofSprings posted:

Very good and self contained. You just need to know that Zeon are space Nazis and the Earth Federation are space Allies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One caveat - Thunderbolt has issues with its female characters, and they're most apparent in the arc that the anime covers. So hope you don't find that too offputting.

Also, watch December Sky, not the shorts. It blends them all together into a single narrative and adds new footage.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

My hot take is, it'd be better to pick 0080 instead.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Thunderbolt has issues with its female characters, and they're most apparent in the arc that the anime covers. So hope you don't find that too offputting.

How so? I dunno anything about Thunderbolt beyond the premise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

How so? I dunno anything about Thunderbolt beyond the premise.

Neither of the female leads has much agency, meaning they mostly exist to be weepy and questionably competent before something bad can happen to them so their male love interests feel bad. Everyone gets poo poo on in Thunderbolt, but those two only exist to get poo poo on, if you catch my drift.

I can't help but feel that the simple expedient of making Darryl's grizzled old buddy who saves the fleet a woman would have improved the story no end. You could keep everything else the same, and Claudia and Karla would suddently have way less uncomfortable implications because they're no longer part of such a clear pattern.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I showed gundam thunderbolt to a friend of mine who barely knew what gundam was and she loved it. It helps a lot that things like "is zeon the bad guy or is the federation the bad guy?" And "why are these two sides at war?" Kind of really aren't The Point, and at the level of an individual soldier in a contained little pocket of a larger conflict, really don't matter.

The female character problem isn't a big deal imo, more worth bringing up in a critical discussion of thunderbolt than in a recommendation. It's not as good as it could be with the female characters but nothing bizarrely gross or weird happen with them, from a critical standpoint the lack of Strong Female Characters is just the closest thing to a major shortcoming that thunderbolt really has.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

Neither of the female leads has much agency, meaning they mostly exist to be weepy and questionably competent before something bad can happen to them so their male love interests feel bad. Everyone gets poo poo on in Thunderbolt, but those two only exist to get poo poo on, if you catch my drift.

Do the male leads have much more agency than the female leads?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

EZ-8 is the chilliest robot name

its a tank name first

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

8th a3 sherman variant got a new suspension so they called it the easy eight

comfy tanks

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sharkopath posted:

8th a3 sherman variant got a new suspension so they called it the easy eight

comfy tanks

Technically it's because it was the M4A3E8 and before we started using the NATO reporting alphabet, the US phonetic E was "easy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do the male leads have much more agency than the female leads?

sorta? they certainly use their agency way more.

i mean one of the female leads is the commander of the ship so i guess it kinda depends on what you mean by "agency." her plotline is about how she can't handle the pressure of being the leader. the other female lead is a scientist who's plot is about how she's betraying her most close held morals in the face of the pressure of war.

both of the male leads are thematically about being totally consumed by war, body and mind.

the male leads certainly feel a lot more "in control" of their actions, in that neither of them are really getting emotionally torn up over their decisions the way the female leads are, while the female leads are both thematically about doing things that they don't want to do