Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leos Klein
Mar 11, 2011

ALL HAIL CARDIEL

:colbert:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

5 gems aquired. Yeah buddy. I still have to play this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I wasn't aware of this card. That's ridiculous.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's good, umi is good. A shame people don't like umi.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 21, 2016

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I checked to see if I had that Umi and I don't. I have the one Pure SR Umi that increases score when you Perfect a star icon. The event for that one was stupidly hard

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Umi got all the weird appeals for some reason.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Since we have folks who are only now starting to pay attention to School Idol Skills, I'm going to repost this:

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

More napkin math time!

My Victorian Nozomi's skill is "For every 27 perfects, there is a 41% chance of increasing player's score by 620 points." She has the Empress Charm SI skill, giving a 2.5x bonus to that. In our FC Perfect 400-note song, that's 14 chances to trigger, for 14*.41*620*1.5 = 5338.2 extra points from the SI skill.

If I gave her a Cool Cross [3rd Year] (which I don't have) and a Cool Kiss, that'd give her an extra 5520*.16+200 = 1083.2 Cool points, which by my previous math gives 7463 extra points.

My Kunoichi Nico's skill is "For every 15 notes, there is a 16% chance of recovering player's HP by 5." If I had an Princess Heal to give her, it would turn into 1350 points when it triggered, for 16*.16*1350 = 3456 points during our 400-note song.

Smile Cross [3rd Year] + Smile Kiss gives her an extra 5880*.16+200 = 1140.8 Smile points, for 7860 extra points.

That's a blowout for better stats SI skills over the gimmick skill alteration SI skills.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

For the sake of completeness:

July Maki is a Perfect Locker with "For every 20 notes, there is a 36% chance of turning all goods and greats in the next 3.5 seconds into perfects." Overlooking the fact that while it's active the note counter isn't running, we have 19 chances for it to trigger in a helpful way, i.e. not at the very end, for 19*.36*3.5 ≈ 24 seconds of lock. Let's say... 20% of the song covered by this? Sure, why not. 80 notes covered, then.

If she has an Empress Trick, then at level 80 and 5800 Cool points we're looking at 58*1.72*80*.25 = 1995.2 extra points.

I'm not even going to bother to calc the exacts from a stats kit, it's going to be multiple times that.

tl;dr: the gimmick skills (Charm, Heal, and Trick) aren't very good, and Heal and Trick are just terrible.

The only real exception is that Umi I posted above, who becomes broken with a Charm and a high level appeal.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Iirc this umi plus-

Oh wait you posted it already.

Someone on another forum I'm on said that to get a full team of this Umi would take $4k.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

graybook posted:

Iirc this umi plus-

Oh wait you posted it already.

Someone on another forum I'm on said that to get a full team of this Umi would take $4k.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
loving ridiculous
I wanna see a video of it though.

I feel like my Cool team is still pretty weak but I've managed to tweak it up enough and land myself a score that... might actually get me song t1 this time around.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sylphid posted:

Aside from, I'm guessing, Nana's voice actor in the back with the bunny ears and P-chan, I wish I could put names to the real lifedols.

Upon closer inspection, I can also ID New Gens in the middle there, mainly because Rin's VA looks like an 30-year old Rin. Oh, and Miku, but that's too easy.

HELLO I AM CREEPY POWERFUL ENOUGH TO HELP OUT WITH THIS. LET US BEGIN FROM THE LOWER LEFT CORNER

Saori Hayami (Kaede)
Haruka Yoshimura (Mika)
Kiyono Yasuno (Natsuki)
CANDY ISLAND Naomi Oozora, Hiromi Igarashi, and Yuka Ootsubo (Chieri, Anzu, and Kanako)
Nao Touyama (Mizuki)

Middle row: DECORATION Nozomi Yamamoto, Rei Matsuzaki, and Tomoyo Kurosawa (Rika, Kirari, and Miria)
NEW GENS Ayaka Fukuhara, Ayaka Ohashi, and Sayuri Hara (Rin, Uzuki, and Mio)
REST OF TRIAD PRIMUS Eriko Matsui and Mai Fuchigami (Nao and Karen)

Back row: Marie Miyake (Nana)
ASTERISK Ruriko Aoki and Natsumi Takamori (Riina and Miku)
LOVE LAIKA Aya Suzaki & Sumire Uesaka & Maaya Uchida (Minami, Anya, and honorary member Ranko)
Best Girl TakeP

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 21, 2016

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

This owns

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Is that actually good? I kinda dismissed it because "eh score up" and I haven't actually paid enough attention to the skills in SIF to know if that's really a disgusting number.

Or is that "it's a perfectly fine number, but then you add these extra skills (do they all just give you points for existing/using skills?) it gets loving absurd?"

I guess maybe I should look at those extra skills sometime.

In the meantime here is a sachiko who seems to be stuck in the game
https://twitter.com/chochoske/status/787493837606227968

Also some sweets
https://twitter.com/pandaoishi/status/789445860375482368
https://twitter.com/krsk_/status/788747286813642752

I want a cake.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Zenostein posted:

Is that actually good? I kinda dismissed it because "eh score up" and I haven't actually paid enough attention to the skills in SIF to know if that's really a disgusting number.

Or is that "it's a perfectly fine number, but then you add these extra skills (do they all just give you points for existing/using skills?) it gets loving absurd?"

I guess maybe I should look at those extra skills sometime.

Score up cards are generally the best unless you need a healer or are making a Perfect Lock team. That one in particular is, by itself, before calculating any additional levels in the skill or attached SI skills, a .97% boost to your total song score. At max level, her skill is a 2.2% boost to your score. with an Angel Charm, that becomes a 5.6% boost, and that's multiplicative with multiples on a team. A ridiculous team of 8 of her with max skills and Charms (I'm pretty sure you'd still want your center to be a UR that boosts 2nd years or Lily White with probably a Veil) is together a 54.1% boost. That's... really good.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Can't believe someone has skill voices on

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Is there a rip of that audio somewhere? I want to hear it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Is there a rip of that audio somewhere? I want to hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrtFxhd3Hfo

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
nice. thanks

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Polsy posted:

Can't believe someone has skill voices on

I think SS is the only one I have them turned off in, actually. I guess they get turned off with the skill cut-in? Everything else has idols constantly shouting at me, but either without a cutin or it's significantly less noticeable (like in tokyo 7th, where the cut-in actually replaces the background video. Too bad that only really works because of the two-note circle thing — if anything else just kept switching the background like that it'd be super annoying.)

I kinda want to turn them all on now, watching that video lol

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Score up cards are generally the best unless you need a healer or are making a Perfect Lock team. That one in particular is, by itself, before calculating any additional levels in the skill or attached SI skills, a .97% boost to your total song score. At max level, her skill is a 2.2% boost to your score. with an Angel Charm, that becomes a 5.6% boost, and that's multiplicative with multiples on a team. A ridiculous team of 8 of her with max skills and Charms (I'm pretty sure you'd still want your center to be a UR that boosts 2nd years or Lily White with probably a Veil) is together a 54.1% boost. That's... really good.

Ah, if only I didn't constantly see notes fly past where I thought I'd tapped out of the corner of my eye, I could have all the score~

Although now that I think of it, except for my bond+ teams, everything's just "biggest numbers of type, with extra weight to perfect locks." Turns out that's the 9th strongest Pure I have anyway, at least until I get around to leveling up that Hanayo…also not counting that fake ur kotori because haha timer charm

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

I think SS is the only one I have them turned off in, actually. I guess they get turned off with the skill cut-in? Everything else has idols constantly shouting at me, but either without a cutin or it's significantly less noticeable (like in tokyo 7th, where the cut-in actually replaces the background video. Too bad that only really works because of the two-note circle thing — if anything else just kept switching the background like that it'd be super annoying.)

I kinda want to turn them all on now, watching that video lol

Yeah, even though I say that I never bothered to turn them off in Girl Friend Note (which actually has some mildly distracting cut-ins, specifically one that jumps up from the bottom instead of sliding in from the side), so I'm not that fundamentally opposed. Voices are a separate option to the cut-in but as far as I remember it defaults off in the first place so chances are by the time you feel like exploring the options menu you're already used to them not being there.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Polsy posted:

Yeah, even though I say that I never bothered to turn them off in Girl Friend Note (which actually has some mildly distracting cut-ins, specifically one that jumps up from the bottom instead of sliding in from the side), so I'm not that fundamentally opposed. Voices are a separate option to the cut-in but as far as I remember it defaults off in the first place so chances are by the time you feel like exploring the options menu you're already used to them not being there.

Are they? I can't actually find the option to turn them on — the obvious one is the voice volume slider, but that stays greyed out. Oh after turning on cut-ins, the mute button for voice actually works. Sneaky.

However, I did find the option to turn off automatic rotation, which is cool. It's under システム設定 > 「画面表示設定」 自動 is auto-rotate, the one beginning 左側 is right-side (of your device) is up, and 右側 is left-side up.

Hey they say more than one thing! That's a surprisingly nice feature!

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 22, 2016

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
The thing about Cheerleader Umi which is nuts is that you don't even really need to be that good at a song for a full team of Umi's to completely break your score since it's got a positive feedback loop going on. By itself it's about as strong as a normal scorer UR. Which is already pretty crazy to think about since it's an SR.

I kinda expect when the solo boxes come out that Umi will be whale day. It might be better odds to wait for a box with the cheerleader set, but I haven't actually run any numbers.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I should try turning on the cut-ins to spice things up a bit. Maybe switch to moving 2D instead of static 2D as well.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Sonata Mused posted:

I should try turning on the cut-ins to spice things up a bit. Maybe switch to moving 2D instead of static 2D as well.

wowee, lookit who's got processing power to spare

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Sonata Mused posted:

That's what I did. But I've also more or less just been clearing out unplayed crap on easy and normal… not sure how well I could tolerate all that crap moving around with all the extra notes.

But the real drawback is that the cutins cover up your center, so you can't watch her hop around. I guess it's fine if your idol's skills are all at 1, but none of mine are so…
If only you could leave cutins off but keep the voices. :sigh:

Speaking of cutins, I wanna see a 0-combo clear video with the cutins on. That must be utter chaos. :devil:

graybook posted:

wowee, lookit who's got processing power to spare

Hey, he said cut-ins, not :sparkles: effects :sparkles:

e. it has just occurred to me that the chieri and rika srs from that event last month are basically low-rent ssrs, since they're in the red plaid already. speaking of 3d-only stuff, I am slightly disappointed you don't get the full cut-in in 3d mode. That would've been pretty terrible and really should be an option…

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 22, 2016

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, I've always had moving 2D unless I'm really trying to save battery. All the pro play videos have it on static and I guess if you're trying to minimise distractions you should but it's really dull and it doesn't make any difference to whether I miss the end of a slide or whatever. I mostly don't have any skill levels above 3 (I had to rerecord that video because the first time Sachiko didn't go off for the entire song) but I guess the cut-ins might get a bit much at 10.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Static 2d also has better contrast, which I think helps. The moving one has some lighting effects that make it a bit hard to pick out notes, especially if you were to use one of the first two note-themes, because those already blend into the background (since they match type).

I make every SR's skill ~4, because that's about where the cost gets obscene. Well, except the level 8 combo-saving anya. It can't actually get too crazy, though. I don't think I've seen a skill with an activation time of less than 6s, and even those are pretty rare, I think. But more importantly, if a skill gets triggered while a cut-in is up, it won't display a cut-in. It's not like SIF or GF where you have multiple soundbytes layering on each other or anything. It's a surprisingly reasonable system!

5 dailies on debut are all I have left [today] to get rid of that goddamn [new] badge in SS. Well, that and the event song on debut/regular, but that's probably not worth the effort at all.

Oh. :v: with the cutins and vaguely distracting moving 2d I managed to go from a c to a combo on the event song lol thanks anya~

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Yeah, 4 is a pretty good level to try for, but I do attempt to get my combo boosters to 7 or higher since that's where I get most of my score increasing from.

I stay static 2d though.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Hmm, maybe I should look at the numbers again. I'm not made of veteran trainer tickets, but I'm not too short either.

Zenostein posted:

But more importantly, if a skill gets triggered while a cut-in is up, it won't display a cut-in. It's not like SIF or GF where you have multiple soundbytes layering on each other or anything. It's a surprisingly reasonable system!

Well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQTzTquQUSQ

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Polsy posted:

Hmm, maybe I should look at the numbers again. I'm not made of veteran trainer tickets, but I'm not too short either.

Well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQTzTquQUSQ

No way.

I'm pretty sure that didn't happen to me, so I'm going to assume that is 100% just kawaii boku. Amazing

Also yes, I once had quite a few silver trainer tickets. Once. For some reason I can't really bring myself to use the gold ones, plus they sorta feel like they don't raise the chance terribly much either. Really, I just keep a few dropped R's around: 2–4 should be good enough for 1->2 or 2->3 if you use them at a great success % up time, especially if they're the same type. And I mean, what else are you gonna do with your 30th [that one idol you keep getting]?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Here's episode 1 (no subs, unless you turn on youtube auto-subtitles+auto-translate, which is its own reward in a way), Girl Friend Note fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjNyt80_BRM

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Ooh, fun. I wonder how much I'll remember even though I never actually got to read the story past "principal JoJo entered the school in a contest".

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I tend to make more mistakes on moving 2D because I'm watching the cute puchis...

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Usually I play moving 2D if I don't particularly care about the outcome of a song, or I've already FC'd the song and am just running up the Times Played counter. Static 2D is usually reserved for when I think I have a shot at the FC and I don't have it already. Moving 2D sometimes skips a little, which is unacceptable.

I think the ultimate in terms of being hard to see / hard song in general is Hotel Moonside Master on 3D mode.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

3D is definitely a step too far if I'm concerned about doing well, especially with the recent increase in camera shifts/angles. At least I can mostly mentally filter out 2D mode as necessary.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I still only play in 3d

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Allarion posted:

I still only play in 3d

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Polsy posted:

3D is definitely a step too far if I'm concerned about doing well, especially with the recent increase in camera shifts/angles. At least I can mostly mentally filter out 2D mode as necessary.

I have no idea how you could possibly ignore the camera zipping around and the sharp lighting changes that they're adding in. But I do like to put 3d on for the commu songs.

I also don't bother hitting any notes in those. Really, I kinda wish they'd just plonk in the MV instead of 'hi play this on debut at the slowest possible speed its fine' That'd be just fine, really.

Also hello 250 gems for 400 days~

Sonata Mused posted:

I tend to make more mistakes on moving 2D because I'm watching the cute puchis...

Luckily, the cutins get in the way, so instead you're distracted by a huge aiko or whatever.

:/ Aiko stop telling me to calm down I am trying to rhythm game here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I like motion 2D but wish there was* a brightness setting just for the background so I could make out the colors better.

*(there might be, I can barely pick through the menus)