Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Quest For Glory II posted:

when are you gonna start!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahaha

february 20th 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Games Chat Thread October: Nintendo Presents Switch.avi

Chomp8645 posted:

Today I'm gonna tell the Gamestop clerk that I would like a copy of the fifth Battlefield game on the third Xbox, both of which can be found labelled "one".

I played it for the first time and it's an interesting break from the Call of Duty series, which is all I had played until now.
I killed a man with a flare gun :whatup:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oddium posted:

february 20th 2006
*family feud family claps* good answer! good answer

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Nine more days...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rexroom posted:

Nine more days...

Blazblue hype!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm playing the sabateur on 360 currently and the game is really funny in the way that player health is balanced around the janky controls, stealth system, etc. sean takes so many bullets and can fall from like 100 feet in the air its crazy but it really helps when you are trying to do some action and the game just won't understand what you want or a nazi sees you in cover despite facing the other way entirely from you. games a lot of fun too. the missions feel a lot different than the usual open world ones but its still early goings.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I know I'm a bit late with the reaction but I'm really bummed about United Front closing because of how much I liked Sleeping Dogs. It scratched a lot of itches:

- A triad centered game with a kung fu bent (I love HK action films). Plus, as a guy who misses side-scrolling beat 'em ups this game felt like one during certain segments of gameplay, especially when you'd spot suspicious activity on your in-game GPS. And the on-foot chase scenes RULE.

-While a lot of it feels like a cliche checklist, the characterization in this game is cool, and I love how much of a badass Grandma Chu is. And Jackie, unlike a lot of sidekicks, is pretty likable.

-The way you learn new moves is awesome. Actually provides a reason to find hidden stuff!

-Even the quick time events are tolerable.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'm replaying this now too and i also love the chases. who is the pony tail guy coldcocking wei all the time with all these honey pot girlfriend traps?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm replaying this now too and i also love the chases. who is the pony tail guy coldcocking wei all the time with all these honey pot girlfriend traps?

I think you kill that guy eventually, don't remember

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Video on old rear end gaming channels that fell from grace.

Man I had no idea how far the GameLife love had spread in the industry a decade ago.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Video on old rear end gaming channels that fell from grace.

Man I had no idea how far the GameLife love had spread in the industry a decade ago.

guru larry rules

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't get the appeal of doomsaying a new system. Like Xbone's many pre-launch mess-ups were funny but I figured they'd get it sorted out eventually.

If it turns out to be bad and you're right you get to save money by not buying it

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Mentioning side scrolling beat 'em ups reminds me, have there been any good ones recently, other than DD Neon?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I know I'm a bit late with the reaction but I'm really bummed about United Front closing because of how much I liked Sleeping Dogs. It scratched a lot of itches:

- A triad centered game with a kung fu bent (I love HK action films). Plus, as a guy who misses side-scrolling beat 'em ups this game felt like one during certain segments of gameplay, especially when you'd spot suspicious activity on your in-game GPS. And the on-foot chase scenes RULE.

-While a lot of it feels like a cliche checklist, the characterization in this game is cool, and I love how much of a badass Grandma Chu is. And Jackie, unlike a lot of sidekicks, is pretty likable.

-The way you learn new moves is awesome. Actually provides a reason to find hidden stuff!

-Even the quick time events are tolerable.

I just found out about this :( I really loved Sleeping Dogs, it's probably one of my favorite games of its type. I'm glad I got it on steam so I can play through it again

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mentioning side scrolling beat 'em ups reminds me, have there been any good ones recently, other than DD Neon?

Depending on how recent you consider 'recently' Dragon's Crown is pretty good. They also did ports of the Capcom DnD games a couple of years ago. If you're looking for anything more recent than that, eh.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Blazblue hype!

Could someone breakdown the appeal of BlazBlue that is more than just squirrel tits? To me, it plays like a really bad version of Guilty Gear.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I like beat'em ups but I find the best beat'em ups have a system of character progression. I am on record of loving the D&D arcade titles, and I think Dragon's Crown was great in spite of the anatomy issues. Scott Pilgrim, Castle Crashers, and DD Neon occupy the indie throne, and there's Phantom Breaker on Steam that has a level up system. The spiritual sequel to River City Ransom should be coming out sometime soon. Even the old arcade game Knights of the Round had a system where your character's weapon and armor would become more embellished based on your score, and that was enough of a carrot to pull me through. I feel like the formula for the next great beat'em up is out there, it just hasn't found a developer willing to invest themselves in it.

Really, if a Dragon's Crown 2 was announced I'd be over the moon.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

that mother russia bleeds game that devolver just put out got some good press. haven't played it myself.

dragons crown is ok. i liked muramasa and odin sphere way better. all vanillaware games are style over substance but dragon's crown adds even more repetition and item management to the mix in ways that kinda make it tedious for me. also the action gets too unreadable for me when poo poo gets crazy

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Could someone breakdown the appeal of BlazBlue that is more than just squirrel tits? To me, it plays like a really bad version of Guilty Gear.

the newer games have created more of a difference than the earlier ones which were absolutely just guilty gear cause the devs didn't have the license at that point.

its just a fun fighter now with more than 20 unique feeling characters and hours and hours of single player stuff. idk.

Guilty is still cooler and better but having played the demo for bbcf, its totally worth people's time and money if they like fighting.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 22, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LawfulWaffle posted:

I like beat'em ups but I find the best beat'em ups have a system of character progression. I am on record of loving the D&D arcade titles, and I think Dragon's Crown was great in spite of the anatomy issues. Scott Pilgrim, Castle Crashers, and DD Neon occupy the indie throne, and there's Phantom Breaker on Steam that has a level up system. The spiritual sequel to River City Ransom should be coming out sometime soon. Even the old arcade game Knights of the Round had a system where your character's weapon and armor would become more embellished based on your score, and that was enough of a carrot to pull me through. I feel like the formula for the next great beat'em up is out there, it just hasn't found a developer willing to invest themselves in it.

Really, if a Dragon's Crown 2 was announced I'd be over the moon.

Oh yeah that reminds me River City: Tokyo Rumble came out last month and is supposed to be good, though it's more like 2D Yakuza than a straight beat em up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thanks i missed that one. loved rcr

also shantae 3 is delayed again until december 13th now according to amazon.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Taokaka's pretty cool?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm playing the sabateur on 360 currently and the game is really funny in the way that player health is balanced around the janky controls, stealth system, etc. sean takes so many bullets and can fall from like 100 feet in the air its crazy but it really helps when you are trying to do some action and the game just won't understand what you want or a nazi sees you in cover despite facing the other way entirely from you. games a lot of fun too. the missions feel a lot different than the usual open world ones but its still early goings.

saboteur is good as hell bro

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Trailer for God of War movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rylS-X0s-KM

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
That thing they do with the music in The Saboteur where when you get into a car it's tinny 1940s car radio quality for a few seconds before fading into crystal-clear modern audio...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If it turns out to be bad and you're right you get to save money by not buying it

You can do that without climbing on a rock and declaring the company to be doomed, tho.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i love the music effects. i don't know about the black and white effects yet. they are kinda annoying but maybe they'll grow on me.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Lurdiak posted:

You can do that without climbing on a rock and declaring the company to be doomed, tho.

It's a long-standing tradition dating back to the release of the Sega Genesis, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I really enjoy "The Video Game Historian". It's a good youtube show!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Real hurthling! posted:

i love the music effects. i don't know about the black and white effects yet. they are kinda annoying but maybe they'll grow on me.

The black and white filter disappears as you clear parts of the city. I liked how it looked.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIc1jfOE01U

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

its black and white because of NAZIS

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

saboteur is good as hell bro

It's a contender for "most underrated game of the PS3/360 era"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i did however many missions it takes to get remote controlled tnt and then just spent the rest of the time sneaking around and destroying areas in one go. good stuff

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

RIP IndieGala Store, they were good once but just now they charged me twice for a game that I didn't even get.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

lol is that Josh from Continue Show

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
no mans daikatana lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I been playing Kirby's Dream Land tonight and I wish more games used the design of X areas and X bosses, the last level is a rehash of each area but harder. I know it's probably the most common design pattern in platforming games (probably because of Mega Man) but it seems to have fallen out of favor in recent years

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCN-a0NsNk

• Locked thread