Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like his art or not, there's no denying he as a giant in this industry and will absolutely be missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

That's way too young.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jeeze people, if you don't have anything nice to say...

Hey, death sucks, but you gotta be honest. Whatever the case:

Rhyno posted:

Like his art or not, there's no denying he as a giant in this industry and will absolutely be missed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You don't have to pretend, but you also don't NEED to declare uncomplimentary thoughts on the announcement of someone's death.

e: But arguing on that occasion is even grosser, so never mind.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 23, 2016

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'll miss him and his tendency to make every man, woman, and child look like Frank Castle. I thought it was really funny :(

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

De mortuis nil nisi bonum

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Steve Dillon was the artist on a lot of comics I liked, and had many friends among the industry. 54 is too young for anyone to die, let alone someone so loved.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sorry y'all didn't think my post would get that much reaction. I'm sure he was a good guy and 54 is way too young that's some bullshit.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/22/comics-people-remember-steve-dillon/

Here’s my story. I’ve known Steve for decades but this is a more recent one. Of late, there had been a meme regarding what was described as “Frank Face”, based on Steve Dillon’s inclination to draw this psychopathic murderer with the exact same expression from panel to panel, and to find it on other characters as well.

I remember chatting with Steve at the MCM London Comic Con bar last year (lemonades all round) to find that a) not only was he very familiar with the meme but that b) was putting in examples of the expression on purpose into everthing he did, just to feed it further.

Goodbye Steve.

This is brilliant. RIP Dillon, you and Ennis were my intro to non-cape comics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
See, it was all part of his reputation for better or worse, and in retrospect I'll miss rolling my eyes in somewhat comedic anticipation of Frank Face whenever he's announced for something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barbe Rouge posted:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/22/comics-people-remember-steve-dillon/

Here’s my story. I’ve known Steve for decades but this is a more recent one. Of late, there had been a meme regarding what was described as “Frank Face”, based on Steve Dillon’s inclination to draw this psychopathic murderer with the exact same expression from panel to panel, and to find it on other characters as well.

I remember chatting with Steve at the MCM London Comic Con bar last year (lemonades all round) to find that a) not only was he very familiar with the meme but that b) was putting in examples of the expression on purpose into everthing he did, just to feed it further.

Goodbye Steve.

This is brilliant. RIP Dillon, you and Ennis were my intro to non-cape comics.

He was the puppet master all along.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Now I'm even sadder. He probably had an endgame for that and now we'll never get to see it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair he was probably lying.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If it wasn't a face, he could draw any loving thing you wanted him to, especially if it it was graphic violence. Even beyond Preacher and Punisher, his work on Hellblazer with Ennis was loving amazing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In other dying news, AT&T is buying Time Warner I guess.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was weird through eulogies hearing both Tom King and Gerard Way talk about intern jobs photocopying Steve Dillon pages.
Way needs to start balding and wearing a beard like a real 40 year old comic professional.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Someone gimme ideas for a Steve Dillon inspired tattoo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A full facial tattoo of

duh,

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

A full facial tattoo of

duh,

That obviously goes on my belly so I can make him talk by alternating sucking in and letting out my gut.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

SO far BSS hasn't been the cause of death of anyone. TFR on the other hand...

None confirmed Ha! TCC are still the reigning champs.

purple death ray posted:

*crosses TFR off of list of forums WickedHate is allowed to post in*

Then why is he over here asking stupid poo poo?

Skwirl posted:

Just the Title card for preacher. Or that spaceman he drew when he was 9

Okay real talk which thread do I use to help me find the comics that my child brain barely remembers but my adult brain wants to read for nostalgia?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I know that's from Preacher and not Hellblazer, but it makes me want to dig through Hellblazer for something similar, because that's my prefered Ennis/Dillon joint.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Okay real talk which thread do I use to help me find the comics that my child brain barely remembers but my adult brain wants to read for nostalgia?

This one or the Q and A thread probably.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wait, apparently Steve Dillon helped create Dog Welder, so there's a new contender for first prize.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Wait, apparently Steve Dillon helped create Dog Welder, so there's a new contender for first prize.

The story is they were in a pub throwing out the most insane names they could think of for super heroes and Steve tossed out Dog Welder and it stuck in the back of Garth's head for a decade or so.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

This one or the Q and A thread probably.

Thank you

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Skwirl posted:

At the moment I'm leaning towards Cassidy in profile with a cigarette, but I'm probably going to plow through both Preacher and Hellblazer to see if something else jumps out at me. Also realized I never read the PunisherMAX run written by Jason Aaron so I'll try and get to that, but I'm not putting anything from Punisher on my body.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aaron's Punisher Max is pretty drat close to Ennis' run in quality.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Skwirl posted:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just watched An Open Secret. Never want to watch anything having to do with Bryan Singer again. What a scum sucking piece of poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Just watched An Open Secret. Never want to watch anything having to do with Bryan Singer again. What a scum sucking piece of poo poo.

Is that about how he had Brad Renfrow murdered?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Is that about how he had Brad Renfrow murdered?

It's about the culture of child abuse in Hollywood, and it names names. He's front and center, and it talks about how he employed a convicted sex offender who used to work at Nickelodeon for abusing kids on X-Men. I think he may have sued over the movie, I know he sued somebody over accusations. At one point they do mention the threat of murder as a coercion tactic but don't mention him specifically in that section.

The damning part for Singer, aside from the employing of a convicted sex offender, is that he helped fund some half-assed attempt at re-creating MTV on the web before the web could really handle it called DEN (Digital Entertainment Network)that was very much presented as a way to attract young boys to the people who were behind it.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 24, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's about the culture of child abuse in Hollywood, and it names names. He's front and center, and it talks about how he employed a convicted sex offender who used to work at Nickelodeon for abusing kids on X-Men. I think he may have sued over the movie, I know he sued somebody over the accusations. At one point they do mention the threat of murder as a coercion tactic but don't mention him specifically in that section.

I'll have to watch it. Even though they retracted the accusation Renfro's family was pretty sure Singer was involved in his death.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I'll have to watch it. Even though they retracted the accusation Renfro's family was pretty sure Singer was involved in his death.

It's on Youtube for free https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfWFjWnuCQE

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nice, thanks for the link. I'll watch it after Westworld!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

But he's never been legally convicted of child abuse! That means you should completely disregard all the evidence and accusations and give him your money. :downs:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, at least my choice to boycott Days of Futures Past is validated now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh yeah you don't want people associating the name WickedHate with pedophilia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol at the walking dead tv show

• Locked thread