Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Psion posted:

technical_debt.txt

When I wrote lua to edit weapon values, I just changed it and the inventory updated correctly after the ingame stats -- there's gotta be something going on when actually editing the base values instead of using tweak_data that's different :shrug:

my guess is someone made a decision in 2008 that's making things inordinately complicated and they'll never get out from under it until they make Payday 3

Development for Payday 3 begins when the DLC contract for Payday 2 stops, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Psion posted:

I can see the logic behind demanding headshots when trying to punch through a presumably bulletproof shield instead of just casually bodyshotting them en masse, but the out of balance headshot multipliers combined with the larger health pool is a real problem. Shields, perhaps, could stand to have a higher headshot multiplier like cloakers do. Or just reduce that ridiculous pen DR, which would be an effective buff without changing any numbers.

HE vs. shields would need some attention also, though HE could use some attention beyond just shields.

alternately, in my opinion, snipers are in a bad enough place that I'd support a global buff to them regardless. The new sniper rifle, with frenzy and suppressor skills, was serviceably mediocre on Mayhem, and I'd never take it to anything higher.

You can adjust headshot multipliers on a per-cop basis, I think. Of course, then you might as well take Body Expertise and flank the Shield or use the Shield-staggering skill to get the squishy bits. I'd rather just eliminate the DR, I think.

Snipers are in a bad spot, and I don't know if they can actually be meaningfully fixed. You could draw a line and say that only snipers (and maybe a select group of other weapons) can one-shot specials. That would carve out a niche. But would it ultimately just frustrate people? Would it actually be enough to make a difference? If it only takes me an additional shot with a DMR, maybe I'd still prefer the DMR.

The Sharpshooter tree also complicates this a bunch by compressing the sorts of roles you can develop for snipers. You could come up with some snipers that hit breakpoints that allow you to bodyshot some subset of cops. You'd basically trade ammo/pickup rate/mag size, etc. for the ability to just click a man and have that man die. With Sharpshooter, though, the emphasis in on headshots. Stylistically, it makes sense, but those skills feel like poo poo given how many points you have to invest and what you could otherwise get with those points. Why would I gently caress around with difficult-to-conceal, low-ammo, low-pickup snipers that require some amount of aim to work when I can just charge around with a shotgun and auto DMR?

I'm also talking about this in terms of a how the highest difficulties look. It makes sense for all this to be more flexible on lower difficulties.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
New Death Vox unit change ideas workshopping:
  • Medi-Dozers: They spawn in pairs?
  • Add two medic+dozer spawngroup
  • Add 2 taser-dozer spawngroup
  • Medic has multi-target AoE effect? creates unwinnable scenarios
  • Medic armor?
  • DWTaser wears tan-style body armor, requiring headshots?
  • DW Taser uses a shield nah.
  • Enemy is able to use concussion grenades in addition to flashbangs and smoke
  • Disconnect cloakers spawned from hiding spawn mechanism from the cloaker cap
  • Armored Snipers Too many scenarios where they're virtually unhittable
  • Remove explosive stun from winters unit
  • All normal SWAT units on DW have tan-style body armor

Skill change ideas:
  • Nerf Body Expertise to 50-75% of headshot damage
  • Reverse joker/domination effect changes

edit: ha, the fbi files mention that snipers actually have Gewehr 3 rifles now.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Remember when snipers were king and DMRs a joke?

Also nobody's mentioned it so far but the Minigun is Good poo poo on Mayhem, I'm getting better use out of it than the KSP. Not sure about higher difficulties because I am a coward.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Overkill does a good enough job of nerfing Body Expertise on their own when they keep loving up the math formula on it, I don't know why you feel that it needs to be worse.

It also only has real benefits for guns that have trouble nailing headshots to begin with; it's an absolute waste of points otherwise.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Discendo Vox posted:

New Death Vox unit change ideas workshopping:

:chloe:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
New post for info on recent heists from Frank's payday 2 mechanics group. This info is more tentative and limited, but should be valid. I'm rewriting these a bit, since the author's English isn't' great. I'm also cutting some info/strategy we all know (i.e. good defense points are far from enemy spawns).

Panic Room
  • No assault can occur until Chavez dies. There's basically no reason to not secure all the loot in the map at this point.
  • Chavez always spawns on one of the upper floors, hiding behind a closed door for a mini-"ambush".
  • The diff is set to only .25 until the 4th saw is placed. The author recommends letting 3 of the saws finish before setting the fourth, but that seems like a waste of time.
  • It is possible to use gangsters as the first line of defence, because on higher difficulties they're a serious threat to the police during the early .25 diff phase.
  • Cops don't break the saws. The saws aren't effected by kickstarter.
  • The Sniper Event starts after Bile says "Ok, I'm in the area, ..." or "All right, I'm close now...". The first sniper spawns immediately. After the first spawn all subsequent spawns happens with a cooldown of 12-15 seconds.
  • The event has a fixed number of snipers depending on difficulty. For N+H/VH+OVK/MH+DW+OD is 7/10/15. This means waiting about 4 minutes for all snipers to spawn on MH+.
  • There are 15 sniper locations around the roof. During the event, the max number of simultaneous snipers is the total number of snipers for the event. During the event, other non-event snipers won't spawn.

Biker Heist

Day 1
You can anticipate the tasks you need to do by checking the bike model (my translation may be a bit rocky here). These tasks are divided into easy and hard. There is always one easy task and two hard ones. The easy task always happens first.
EASY:
-If there's no gas tank/exhaust pipes, that means you have to get them from the garage.
-If there's no engine, that means objective to search it inside the house in wooden cargo.
-If neither of the above are missing, that means you will have to find the tools in garage.

HARD
-If there's no chrome skull, that means blowtorching the door inside the house and drilling the safe.
-If there's no seat, that means going to the bunker.
-If only one of the above is missing, you will have to protect the mechanic inside the garage.
  • The soda task is separate and random. I'm unclear on if it replaces the other tasks, or is an additional task. It seems rare, but I don't have exact odds.
  • An infinite assault starts when someone gets on Rust's bike.
  • Snipers: There are 6 spawn points: 2 at the roof of garage, 2 at the upper bridge, 1 on the roof of the building between the garage and bridge, and at the roof of the building after the bridge, near entrance of escape zone. Snipers start to spawn at beginning second assault.
  • Turret: Spawn chance on higher difficulties - about 75%. Appears during lead-in to the first assault. Spawns a black dozer out of the back.
Day 2
  • The whole day is infinite assault.
    The train consists of 8 railcars The first and last are constants, of course-the other 6 are random.
    -Low railcar with coal
    -Low railcar with barrels
    -Middle railcar with either a ladder in it, gates, open doors, or some combo thereof.
    -High railcar (no interior, so you have to climb it and cross the top)
    -The "most deadliest hardcore solid railcar with tank fuel" (exact quote). I personally (me, Vox) find the coal railcar worst because it's exposed from a ton of angles, you often have to climb ladders to cross it, and choppers can land on it.
  • The reward for loot, from an XP perspective, is a garbage 500 points. Really not worth it.
  • The whole day uses some sort of complex dynamic spawn system that tries to keep enemies spawning 2 traincars away from players. This has the effect of causing enemies to spawn much closer to players if the team is spread out. The exception is helicopter drop-off spawns.
  • Pickup trucks can be made to crash by shooting the driver in head.
  • Turret truck and helicopter spawn chances are evaluated at the start of the heist. There's limited detail on this, but the helicopter turret appears to try to keep a strict distance from players that is also partly a function of what traincar they are on. This bugs the gently caress out if the team spreads out, and can result in the chopper flying into the scenery.
  • When you throw mission bag into helicopter, be careful! If the bag falls off the train, it will spawn back at the furthest railcar.
Slaughterhouse
On higher difficulties there are always 3 cans of gas and 1 keycard.
8 gas spawn locations:
-After blowing the door, near the vending machine.
-Inside the superstructure in the middle of the slaughterhouse. 1st floor, under the table.
-In the main room, under the ladder to second floor, near the doorway to butcher room (back left corner on entering room).
-In the main room, near the electric generators (immediate right corner on entering room).
-On the second floor, in corridor near the vending machine.
-On the second floor, in front of locker room, near the table.
-In between the spawn gates and the nearby conveyor belt, on the left, on the hall you move the gold down.
-In front of the nearest conveyor, inside the second of the second refrigerator room. (I think he means one of the side rooms in the hall you move the gold down)

There are 8 keycard spawn locations:
-Inside the superstructure in the middle of the slaughterhouse. 1st floor, on locker box in right side of table.
-Inside the superstructure in the middle of the slaughterhouse. 2nd floor, on table.
-Inside the butcher room a side-room in the hallway you move the gold down- this room has a bunch of carcasses in it).
-Inside bathroom on second floor.
-Inside locker room on second floor.
-On second floor in corridor on printer.
-On second floor inside dining room. On dining table.
-On second floor inside dining room. On kitchen table.
  • For anyone who doesn't know, you can repair the drill/retrieve gold through the side of the truck.
  • There is no xp reward for getting Vlad's pig.
  • The countdown to sniper spawn starts when the first player leaves the double doors at the end of the conveyor hall.
  • Endless assault starts 2 minutes after using the crane the second time.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Overkill does a good enough job of nerfing Body Expertise on their own when they keep loving up the math formula on it, I don't know why you feel that it needs to be worse.
It also only has real benefits for guns that have trouble nailing headshots to begin with; it's an absolute waste of points otherwise.

My apologies, the power of BE was overstated to me earlier. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the synergy between that skill and the one that penetrates armor. There was a point where it was somehow outstripping headshots because of multiplier stacking.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 21, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the synergy between that skill and the one that penetrates armor.

You're an idiot.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Vox is secretly Jules!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Vox is secretly Jules!

?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Someone found a new track in the files.

Direct your ears to the following link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvcHn5352Qg

(It's pretty great, although it definately reminds me of something...)

EDIT: the last bit reminds me of the song from the Mortal Kombat movie.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 21, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Main riff reminds me of No Mercy's music.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 22, 2016

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Drewjitsu posted:

Someone found a new track in the files.

Direct your ears to the following link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvcHn5352Qg

(It's pretty great, although it definately reminds me of something...)

EDIT: the last bit reminds me of the song from the Mortal Kombat movie.

Came here to post this! This track is really great.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Plan Z posted:

The reddit dorks were also thinking that + there's an upcoming Halloween heist...

No mercy remake confirmed! :swoon:

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Really? I listened to this and Code Silver somewhat simultaneously and I didn't notice much similarity. Like, if you toss all the hospital-ish sounds out of Code Silver, I can hear a somewhat similar stealth beat, but as soon as it goes loud I really don't notice any similarity to Code Silver at all.

e: If anything this sounds like Stone Cold 2016 (Green Bridge) but it's probably just its own thing for a Halloween special this year.

ClonedPickle fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 22, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Drewjitsu posted:

The reddit dorks were also thinking that + there's an upcoming Halloween heist...

No mercy remake confirmed! :swoon:

It'd be the perfect time to implement it, but I am not looking to safe house nightmare one down.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
Two bank heists in a row I was able to kill the tellers and not alert the lobby, and in one of those I sprinted across the room to kill the people closest to the back alarm. Never knew that could happen. I also failed a bushido run because I forgot you can't jump directly off the 2F balcony, but completed it 2 runs later thanks to a murky that decided to just stare in shock at the vault rather than do anything.

I want a hiester that has an inspire res shout of "The power of hiest compels you!", and I still want Jackets mask-up to be "Do you want to make more money? Sure, we all do!"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Shadowed Bacon posted:

Two bank heists in a row I was able to kill the tellers and not alert the lobby, and in one of those I sprinted across the room to kill the people closest to the back alarm. Never knew that could happen. I also failed a bushido run because I forgot you can't jump directly off the 2F balcony, but completed it 2 runs later thanks to a murky that decided to just stare in shock at the vault rather than do anything.

I want a hiester that has an inspire res shout of "The power of hiest compels you!", and I still want Jackets mask-up to be "Do you want to make more money? Sure, we all do!"

For the next best thing, you can have Jacket say a few other lines preview: here more of this type: here

I use them all, and it's pretty great, update immune and haven't got boring yet. Plus it does fit the character.

EDIT: Or you can just go the complete opposite direction and get this. But I never used it so I have no idea how it exactly works.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ClonedPickle posted:

Really? I listened to this and Code Silver somewhat simultaneously and I didn't notice much similarity. Like, if you toss all the hospital-ish sounds out of Code Silver, I can hear a somewhat similar stealth beat, but as soon as it goes loud I really don't notice any similarity to Code Silver at all.

e: If anything this sounds like Stone Cold 2016 (Green Bridge) but it's probably just its own thing for a Halloween special this year.

There's a recurring rhythm in BS that reminds me of the main riff in the leaked track. It's hard to point out, but it's a variation on a ten-note riff that kind of sounds Mortal Kombaty when I hum it out loud.

It starts here in Code Silver and Blood Spillage (both are listed as the heist's song and I don't know which one it is I'm guessing it's Silver):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA3I6TGJNZc&t=40s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhaA_0i97MY&t=104s

Then here in the leaked track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvcHn5352Qg&t=178s

It sounds like it got a key change and more of a back-beat if it is the same. If I'm wrong I'm wrong and I can definitely see how, but I can't really pick out Payday 1 music in my head as easily as 2, so it seemed weird to me that the similarity popped into my head so quickly.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I last played in '14, right before Clover was introduced. Back then the meta was 40 damage, as much accuracy and as little recoil as possible. From reading, I hear that's different now? What sort of stuff should I be building to be effective? I forget whether I was going pistolmind at that point or going back to enforcer.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if you've been away for 2 years, the best suggestion is to just boot up the game, build something that you think looks fun with the new skill trees, and have fun on Overkill difficulty for a bit. the new stuff should be familiar enough to old players that you do not need to read a novella just to get going. further, the game is currently in a pretty volatile state where the high end meta is changing rapidly, so anything you are told today could be irrelevant tomorrow. just boot up, mess around with what's there, have some fun, and then come back after you've had a good few evenings of play and ask some more specific questions than 'tell me everything'.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. I just realized my question sounded more general than I meant. I was more specifically thinking of weapon stats and breakpoints, but it did sound like I was asking about everything.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay. I just realized my question sounded more general than I meant. I was more specifically thinking of weapon stats and breakpoints, but it did sound like I was asking about everything.

On Overkill, 40 damage should still serve you reasonably well for assault rifles, I think. Generally, higher accuracy and stability are better, but it's honestly better to just try different weapons and see how they feel.

The more important part is probably having a good build in terms of skills. Invest in skills that help the weapon you're using, and make sure to pick an appropriate set of "defensive" skills, so either dodge or ICTV.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
So is there any hidden trophy/reward for maxing your safehouse or is it just the satisfaction in grinding way too many continental coins?

Soral
May 30, 2009

yeah the reward is i beat you up and give you a swirly for being such a nerd that you grinded for fake video game home renovations that serve no functional purpose

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Soral posted:

yeah the reward is i beat you up and give you a swirly for being such a nerd that you grinded for fake video game home renovations that serve no functional purpose

just like space station 13!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
That takes me back.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jesus, builds and gun loadouts seem like a nightmare ever since I left. Was literally every gun nerfed?

I can't find any dodge loadout that feels as good as Clarion/Judge, Light Crossbow/Deagle, Grenade Launcher/LEO, etc. used to. Best thing I've come up with was akimbo interceptors and Pistol Crossbow and lord it's disappointing.

I tried a Gambler deck build akin to the old Masterforcers and I feel so weak and terrible.

In summary it feels like everything is way better at killing me and I am way worse at killing anything. What the hell?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shotguns are both cool and good.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Soral posted:

i'm asking in advance of me being such a nerd, but now I know never to admit it later!!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Jesus, builds and gun loadouts seem like a nightmare ever since I left. Was literally every gun nerfed?

I can't find any dodge loadout that feels as good as Clarion/Judge, Light Crossbow/Deagle, Grenade Launcher/LEO, etc. used to. Best thing I've come up with was akimbo interceptors and Pistol Crossbow and lord it's disappointing.

I tried a Gambler deck build akin to the old Masterforcers and I feel so weak and terrible.

In summary it feels like everything is way better at killing me and I am way worse at killing anything. What the hell?

Git gud?

All joking aside, try out the m308 and the China puff. That's a pretty good gold standard for an ICTV masterforcer. LMG'S and body Expertise is also a blast

For a dodge build, look into running the micro Uzi. When you couple in body Expertise and crits, it does the job quite admirably.

Perk decks for ovk in this brave new world are muscle for armor based classes, and ex-pres for dodge builds.

If you want me to throw a build together, let me know.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ex-presidents seems pretty slick in armor so far too but I've only given it a couple runs. Ghosted out Eagle Heavy and Kross Vertex feel excellent.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DMR's are in a particularly good spot right now.

See how you like the m308. Especially when you have sure fire (?) basic for the extra 15 bullets in the mag. It owns and is a 100 acc/stab rifle.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Only do DMR with full auto guns :kheldragar:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Minigun honestly feels really good on the mayhem+ environment. China Puff is incredible right now.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Goddamn that leaked track is so good, I can't stop listening to it.
Come on and update the soundtrack already Simon :argh:

Gabe!!
Oct 13, 2016

I was wondering if you were going to show up.

:smugdog:

Kikas posted:

Goddamn that leaked track is so good, I can't stop listening to it.
Come on and update the soundtrack already Simon :argh:

Somebody already modded it into game if you're impatient like me. Here ya go.

On a related note, it seems Simon didn't do the music for this track, I wonder who did?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

You have all probably already noticed, but, yeah, snipers are in fact supposed to respawn on the safehouse raid. Once you kill the first one, others fail to spawn. Whatever's causing this might be inflating the length of waves.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

You have all probably already noticed, but, yeah, snipers are in fact supposed to respawn on the safehouse raid. Once you kill the first one, others fail to spawn. Whatever's causing this might be inflating the length of waves.

You finally learned how to make descriptions of spawn mechanics interesting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The FBI files have been updated to include Geneva convention violations for killing Medics (It wouldn't technically apply because the medics are combatants, but whatevs), as well as some traffic violations.

Some more words on safehouse raid: the whole thing is really, really hacky.

There are files and voicelines left ingame indicating that the bag defense was going to be more complex, possibly with players switching between defending amounts of money in different parts of the safehouse. There are lines for defending from 1 to 10 bags, lines referencing up to 10 assault waves, and lines from Aldstone through an intercom complaining about the mess you're making during the defense. The layout of the safehouse, especially the curved corridor going to the vault and the basement's dual route layout, suggest that the original plan was some sort of ascending multi-wave defense that was going to take up the whole map.

By contrast, the actual map uses a flat cycling assault built on a flat number of enemy spawns per wave. It's actually endless; the game just terminates the heist during the break after the third wave, often while new enemies begin to spawn in.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 23, 2016