Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Dude looks like your standard movie version of a corrupt and wealthy senator's son.

Like he could deffo get away with killing at least one hooker with no consequence.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tochiazuma posted:

Over Dykstra? Whoa

And why do you think the ONDP are going to take that seat?

Process of elimination, mostly. Hudak didn't run particularly strong in the riding even when he was leader, the OLP is the OLP, the ONDP has surprising strength in the Niagara region, and the PCs nominated a literal child whose main claim to fame is really disliking that women have agency.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Can't wait for that kid to be our premier before he hits age 30

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Pinterest Mom posted:

Process of elimination, mostly. Hudak didn't run particularly strong in the riding even when he was leader, the OLP is the OLP, the ONDP has surprising strength in the Niagara region, and the PCs nominated a literal child whose main claim to fame is really disliking that women have agency.

Yeah Niagara, especially Welland is strong NDP turf, a lot of people there are still in unions or were within the last 10 years.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
He's pretty cute, shame about his politics though.

Between JT and this guy I wonder if the NDP could learn something about taking advantage of being well-presented :v:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Sam Oosterhoff, 19, has won the PC nomination in Niagara West–Glanbrook, Tim Hudak's seat. Looks like he won thanks to support from the anti-choice lobby.

(ONDP's going to win it)

That's some pretty spot-on How I Met Your Mother cosplay.

Maybe we can get Jason Segel to slap him.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That guy makes me want to re-read basically anything from Bret Easton Ellis, he's got that bleakly shallow vibe going on.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Hating on John A Macdonald for his drinking rather than his handling of the western rebellions seems like such a dumb monocle drop thing.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

On the other hand, the riding is a hole in the ground and the child Ceausescu will absolutely win.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Three Hole Punk posted:

Yeah Niagara, especially Welland is strong NDP turf, a lot of people there are still in unions or were within the last 10 years.

Which would be great if the riding included Welland, but this is the Grimsby/Fonthill/West Lincoln etc. conglomeration we're talking about

I would not be at all surprised if that little drip is elected.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Predictably, the diesel spill response was a joke with them deploying booms that couldn't handle typical west coast conditions.

World class.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/community-in-state-of-shock-after-diesel-spill-booms-fail-1.3817560

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Mr_Roke posted:

There are a few problems with that piece:

1) The Feds aren't cutting health transfers, they're cutting the rate of growth of transfer from 6% to a minimum of 3%1.
2) Greenhouse gas emissions from the oil sands in 2014 were 67.8 million tonnes2 , California's total emissions that year were 441.5 million tonnes3 so no, the oil sands do not have greater emissions than California
3) If Canada's still basing our economy on fossil fuels we're doing a lovely job of it if we compared to say, Norway. Oil and gas accounts for 22% of GDP4 while the entirety of oil and gas extraction, mining, and quarrying is 8.1% of GDP5 (I couldn't find just oil & gas figures although I saw a few tweets on Twitter saying it was about 4%).
4) The Northwest Mounted Police/RCMP used horses before the 1930s, come on.

I was posting the article more for the very particular tone of irritation it conveys toward Canada's projected self image. If you've read this thread for any amount of time then there's something distinctly familiar about Brown's tone and the general areas that he fixates on, right down to mentioning the infamous fruit machine.

Your points here are well made (though your citation style means half the people reading your post probably didn't even notice you included sources, you might want to just hyper link actual words next time) though I think the quibbling over the rhetoric surrounding the healthcare reduction is kind of foolish. Everything about public spending is already so obscured in a fog of misinformation, general public indifference and misleading PR-speak phrasing that for me at least I think the distinction between telling the public there's going to be cuts to healthcare spending vs. telling the public that there's going to be a large reduction in annual increases despite costs being projected to rise faster than in the past is really minimal. In terms of how Canadian citizens will experience the public healthcare system, all else remaining equal, they are likely to face greater barriers to access if the spending reductions go through so calling them "cuts" might not be as misleading as Emmet Macfarlane suggests.

quote:

The annoying thing is I think the premise of the article is reasonable, Canada's not all sunshine and sunny ways and there are some things that are horrible (living conditions and treatment of the indigenous peoples being the biggest one) and other things that should also be better. You don't have to make stuff up to make that case but Brown went ahead and did that.

And then when it's pointed out to him on Twitter by people who know their stuff like Andrew Leach (on the emissions) or Emmett Macfarlane (on the health care "cuts") he completely ignores them while mocking absurd critics like Ezra Levant. I would think somebody who fancies themselves a media critic would be able to take and respond to reasonable criticism.

(I didn't look for all those figures for this thread... I sent an email to the Guardian's Readers' Editor which I guess makes me only slightly less unhinged).

Well, personally I'd zero in more specifically on the way that the election of Trudeau completely squandered the momentum of a lot of progressive or left leaning causes. It's not just that we're overly optimistic or that we treat our indigenous people badly. The fact is that if you despised the Harper government as much as a lot of Canadians did but you love Trudeau as much as many of the same Canadians do then it does suggest an underlying kind of incoherence or enthusiasm for style over substance.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I'm stuck in Saskatoon for the day with nothing to do. Really, nothing. The listed attractions on trip advisor and in google are all closed Sundays.

The whole city is a loving ghetto ghost town. I'm not usually one to complain about a lack of traffic but it honestly feels like I'm driving around in the middle of the night.

gently caress the prairies.

Also why the gently caress are these digital billboards as bright as they are? Are they trying to light the way to Regina?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tochiazuma posted:

Over Dykstra? Whoa

Whoa is right. Rick Dykstra was also running for the nomination and is the current President of the PCPO. I guess Patrick Brown doesn't like him? I dunno.

e:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulmcleod/conservative-mp-rick-dykstra-was-pictured-drinking-with-unde#.rwxppn0vl

quote:

Incumbent Conservative MP Rick Dykstra was photographed drinking with multiple high school-aged girls at a nightclub last month. One girl, who was 16 at the time, now says she was offered VIP service if she claimed it never happened.

Maybe he reminds Brown too much of himself lol

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Helsing posted:

The fact is that if you despised the Harper government as much as a lot of Canadians did but you love Trudeau as much as many of the same Canadians do then it does suggest an underlying kind of incoherence or enthusiasm for style over substance.

Trudeau seems to be a perfect storm of:
1) Harper hate
2) style over substance (i.e. people thinking Trudeau is so dreamy :swoon: and voting for him like they're choosing a prom king)
3) a concerted "strategic voting" effort that skewed Liberal, hard (anyone who checked any of the sites promoting this would know)
4) real lack of scrutiny over the Liberal platform (middle class tax break? :lol:)
4b) the whole "we're going to go into debt to build infrastructure" serving to distract from the rest of their platform, but also getting the attention of aggrieved parties who didn't see any/enough Economic Action Plan™ money i.e. any ridings that hadn't elected tories

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
In Toronto news, the mayor that is ideologically committed to privatizing everything has hired some old friends to tell him that it makes sense to privatize Toronto Hydro. Only two years after running against a candidate who proposed exactly the same plan and had it thoroughly debunked as a long term loss for the city.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

cowofwar posted:

Predictably, the diesel spill response was a joke with them deploying booms that couldn't handle typical west coast conditions.

World class.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/community-in-state-of-shock-after-diesel-spill-booms-fail-1.3817560

Looking west from those rocks it's a straight shot to Japan. Multiple storms have come through, and while the tag end of a typhoon is a little unusual the rest aren't and it's only going to get worse through November. (There's a reason no one in their right mind is out there at this time of year unless the pay is good.) Do they even make booms that could contain spills under those conditions?

The only people who think a winter spill can be managed in those waters are working in land-locked offices back east. Better kick more money into the advertising kitty.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Hiring the professional conservative ratfucker pollster and campaign guru who got you elected to take big sums of money advising you on the privatization of a public utility is such a perfect distillation of how Canadian politics works.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Are there still people who think politics and campaigning are different things?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Math You posted:

Also why the gently caress are these digital billboards as bright as they are? Are they trying to light the way to Regina?

Don't worry they're bright as gently caress here too. They take advantage of the flat land and crank up the brightness to increase visibility, you can see some of them from the U.S. border.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Helsing posted:

Hiring the professional conservative ratfucker pollster and campaign guru who got you elected to take big sums of money advising you on the privatization of a public utility is such a perfect distillation of how Canadian politics works.

I feel odd sitting next Ikantski in the "I told you fuckers this was going to happen" box, but here we are, and no one wanted to listen back in 2014 with the specter of another Ford mayoralty haunting us.

Bonus: This is the lobbying/consulting dream team that enabled Uber to buy their own legislation in Toronto.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Helsing posted:

Hey, some traditions deserve to be honoured.

Maybe it'd be better if we just had open patronage again so we wouldn't have to pretend that the system was anything but.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines posted:

I feel odd sitting next Ikantski in the "I told you fuckers this was going to happen" box, but here we are, and no one wanted to listen back in 2014 with the specter of another Ford mayoralty haunting us.

Bonus: This is the lobbying/consulting dream team that enabled Uber to buy their own legislation in Toronto.

I spent hours convincing friends that strategically voting for Tory would be worse than another term of Ford. I'm not sure how many listened but man, being right sucks sometimes.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Humble Bundle has a "Hacking Capitalism" deal going on for a bunch on titles if, like me, you've been thinking about reading "This Changes Everything" or "The New Confessions of an Economic Hit Man".

Nothing about how to sharpen machetes, so I assume the hacking is all metaphorical.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos Olivia Chow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Three Hole Punk posted:

I spent hours convincing friends that strategically voting for Tory would be worse than another term of Ford. I'm not sure how many listened but man, being right sucks sometimes.

The hit to the public perception of municipal politics would have been worth it just to have a populist demagogue who actively alienated any allies and incited revulsion in everyone else, rather than an bland, milquetoast executive with the connections to actually accomplish the same agenda.

vyelkin posted:

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos Olivia Chow

Ah yes, the reluctant candidate. She tried, sorta.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Hexigrammus posted:

Humble Bundle has a "Hacking Capitalism" deal going on for a bunch on titles if, like me, you've been thinking about reading "This Changes Everything" or "The New Confessions of an Economic Hit Man".

Nothing about how to sharpen machetes, so I assume the hacking is all metaphorical.

You missed the best title: "How the Poor Can Save Capitalism"

Stockholm syndrome at its finest.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh hey look, a terrible judge in my terrible province has made another embarrassingly lovely and ignorant ruling:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/judges-order-4-year-old-boy-not-to-wear-girl-clothes-in-southeastern-alberta-town-1.3816829

Boy, Alberta is full of loving idiots, I'll tell you what!

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Helsing posted:

It's a short article so why don't you go back and read it and then respond to it? I was going to reply to the rest of your post but frankly most of what you said is addressed in my response to Dreyland and besides when somebody combines a bunch sarcastic dismissals with a "tl;dr" it kinda dampens my enthusiasm for typing out a more thoughtful or in depth reply.

Well sorry for the sarcasm but you're just coming at the issue from a really weird, oblique angle and spending way too many words to get from some OECD study (that isn't about immigration) to criticize the government's immigration policy.

The government doesn't use immigration just to grow the population, although they ARE worried about our aging demographics. The rationale for taking more immigrants is addressing skills shortages for businesses.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Better start building more bridges and tunnels

quote:

The 14-member council was assembled by Finance Minister Bill Morneau to provide "bold" advice on how best to guide Canada's struggling economy out of its slow-growth rut.

One of their first recommendations, released last week, called for a gradual increase in permanent immigration to 450,000 people a year by 2021 -- with a focus on top business talent and international students. That would be a 50-per-cent hike from the current level of about 300,000.

The council members -- along with many others, including Economic Development Minister Navdeep Bains -- argue that opening Canada's doors to more newcomers is a crucial ingredient for expanding growth in the future.

They say it's particularly important as more and more of the country's baby boomers enter their golden years, which eats away at the workforce.

The conviction to bring in more immigrants is especially significant for at least two of the people around the advisory team's table.

The Century Initiative, a five-year-old effort by well-known Canadians, is focused on seeing the country of 36 million grow to 100 million by 2100.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/key-advisers-to-morneau-want-100-million-canadians-by-2100-1.3127759

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

Oh hey look, a terrible judge in my terrible province has made another embarrassingly lovely and ignorant ruling:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/calgary/judges-order-4-year-old-boy-not-to-wear-girl-clothes-in-southeastern-alberta-town-1.3816829

I'm curious to read the judges' reasoning.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the trump tutelage posted:

I'm curious to read the judges' reasoning.

quote:

Smith and the child's father are separated and share custody.

Smith says she told the father what had happened and about her decision to support their child. Weeks later he served her with papers seeking primary custody, blaming Smith for the child's gender confusion and anxiety.

When the two went to family court in Medicine Hat in December, 2015, Judge D.G. Redman kept Smith as primary caregiver, but in his interim order, said the child will not be permitted to wear clearly female clothes in public, but if he chooses, he could do so in private.

Then earlier this year in February, the case went before Judge F.C. Fisher and in his interim order, he again stated the clothing restriction and granted primary custody to the father. Smith was given limited access

Kid has gender dysphoria, father blames the mother for it and isn't entertaining it, making the kid act and dress like a boy seems to be part of the family court's deference to the father's transphobia or something? At least they came to the right decision eventually

quote:

By this past September, the interim clothing order was revised by a third provincial court judge. Judge G.K Krinke said after consulting with a parenting expert, the parents must provide both boy and girl clothing options and the child can then choose from those options.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Do we think the kid might be faking it in order to get an NDP nomination?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

In fairness it's not just Alberta that's lovely about this kind of thing. I could see this ruling happening in Prince George just as easily.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Well sorry for the sarcasm but you're just coming at the issue from a really weird, oblique angle and spending way too many words to get from some OECD study (that isn't about immigration) to criticize the government's immigration policy.

The government doesn't use immigration just to grow the population, although they ARE worried about our aging demographics. The rationale for taking more immigrants is addressing skills shortages for businesses.

Advisers who are close to the government actually are seriously discussing the idea of using immigration to help substantially increase the size of the Canadian population above it's estimated trend. While it's doubtful the government is going to adopt the most extreme proposals being discussed it's still worth dissecting the underlying premise here, which would seem to clearly go beyond filling skills shortages:

quote:

Influential Liberal advisers want Canadian population to triple by 2100

By Andy Blatchford The Canadian Press

OTTAWA – Imagine Canada with a population of 100 million — roughly triple its current size.

For two of the most prominent voices inside the Trudeau government’s influential council of economic advisers, it’s much more than a passing fancy.

It’s a target.

The 14-member council was assembled by Finance Minister Bill Morneau to provide “bold” advice on how best to guide Canada’s struggling economy out of its slow-growth rut.

One of their first recommendations, released last week, called for a gradual increase in permanent immigration to 450,000 people a year by 2021 — with a focus on top business talent and international students. That would be a 50-per-cent hike from the current level of about 300,000.

The council members — along with many others, including Economic Development Minister Navdeep Bains — argue that opening Canada’s doors to more newcomers is a crucial ingredient for expanding growth in the future.

They say it’s particularly important as more and more of the country’s baby boomers enter their golden years, which eats away at the workforce.

The conviction to bring in more immigrants is especially significant for at least two of the people around the advisory team’s table.

Growth council chair Dominic Barton, the powerful global managing director of consulting firm McKinsey & Co., and Mark Wiseman, a senior managing director for investment management giant BlackRock Inc., are among the founders of a group dedicated to seeing the country responsibly expand its population as a way to help drive its economic potential.

The Century Initiative, a five-year-old effort by well-known Canadians, is focused on seeing the country of 36 million grow to 100 million by 2100.

Without significant policy changes on immigration, the current demographic trajectory has Canada’s population on track to reach 53 million people by the end of the century, the group says on its website. That would place it outside the top 45 nations in population size, it says.

Barton believes the demographic challenge will make Canada increasingly irrelevant over time, particularly given its already-small population size.

“Relevance is not just determined by your population, but it’s a factor given all the strengths we have,” Barton, a sought-after expert who has consulted government and business leaders around the world, said in an interview.

“Why wouldn’t we make that a strength if our diversity and multiculturalism is a strength, but it’s winnowing away as we’re getting older? Why wouldn’t we do the opposite and goose it?”

He believes Canada’s international influence would grow considerably with a bigger population. On top of that, Barton said the world would benefit from having a larger version of Canada’s stable, diversified democracy and economy.

“It’s a big number — to me, it’s more of an aspirational number,” he said when asked about the group’s goal.

The discussions that eventually blossomed into Century Initiative began in 2011 during a weekend gathering of friends at Barton’s cottage in Ontario’s Muskoka region, north of Toronto.

Sitting near the edge of Lake of Bays, surrounded by the Canadian Shield, they started brainstorming about the best ways to shelter the country’s economy from the gathering, predictable demographic storm.

Barton said the first informal get-together was followed by a few other meetings, including two group treks into the High Arctic.

The idea evolved and the group hired staffers and started funding research into the topic.

Barton sees a dovetail between some of the ideas behind the Century Initiative and the growth council, but he says they are separate.

In fact, behind the closed doors of the growth council meetings, Barton said the Century Initiative’s 100-million goal didn’t come up.

He did acknowledge that he and Wiseman were among the biggest proponents behind the immigration-boosting idea that the group presented to Morneau.

“Probably because Mark and I have been in (Century Initiative) we’re obviously more naturally bullish towards it,” said Barton, who also noted that there was a lot of debate on the scope of the immigration proposal.

Some people in the room wanted a more-aggressive approach, while others were “nervous” about moving too quickly, he added.

The Liberal government has committed to increasing immigration, but the cabinet minister in charge of the dossier has indicated that raising it to 450,000 in five years is likely too ambitious.

“We have an aging population, we have labour shortages, but there are also constraints,” John McCallum, who will announce Ottawa’s 2017 target on Nov. 1, said last week.

His cabinet colleague, Bains, recently told a policy conference that the government is encountering public “pushback” on its immigration plans from Canadians who fear for their jobs.

Bains urged the mostly business and academic crowd to help sell the idea of increasing immigration as a driver of prosperity and opportunity.

Barton said while there’s still nearly a full century to hit the 100-million mark, he stressed the country needs get started soon.

“You read about (former prime minister Wilfrid) Laurier — it was supposed to be Canada’s century,” Barton said of the 1900s.

“Canada did pretty well, but I don’t think we can say it was Canada’s century.”

Now if you read the text of this article carefully then it's true that nowhere does anyone explicitly say that increasing immigration will increase income or gdp per capita (they keep is vague, saying how increased population can "expand our economic potential"). However, when you hear them talking about a "brewing demographic storm" necessitating a massive increase in immigration I think it should be clear that they're not just talking about filling in skills gaps. In fact they're quite open about the fact that they think a larger population would give Canada more "influence" on the global stage and that if only Canada had let in more immigrants in the last century then this could have been "Canada's century". I'll agree that exactly why all this is supposed to be good for us is never spelled out explicitly, but it's very clear the policy being advocated here goes way beyond a targeted policy intended to fill some skills gasps.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Tripling the population in a country that can't keep bridges from falling on people is a great idea and I look forward to seeing it in action.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Another part of the proposal is getting other people to lend us money to build new bridges, which we'll repay with user fees.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
"The babiesCanadians look unhappy."

"Add more ballsimmigrants."

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

The discussions that eventually blossomed into Century Initiative began in 2011 during a weekend gathering of friends at Barton’s cottage in Ontario’s Muskoka region, north of Toronto.

Sitting near the edge of Lake of Bays, surrounded by the Canadian Shield, they started brainstorming about the best ways to shelter the country’s economy from the gathering, predictable demographic storm.

"How hard are cottage prices going to crash when all the boomers die?" is surprisingly common dock conversation, good on these guys for working towards a solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Are there still people who think politics and campaigning are different things?

If you spend any time at all working in politics you'll see that the people who get hired for caucus/government jobs are invariably the ones who are good at helping to win elections, because really that's the only thing which matters.

Should you be decent at elections you'll probably be easy enough to train into other things, the only issue is your morals/worldview.