Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The one true Kirbey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

as i was playing through Dream Land 1 I came across this:

In Training posted:

Wtf... Blue is me, red is an Enemy Kirby (!?)

I wonder if original plans were for there to be a bunch of Kirbys

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dqb's combat would be more better if enemies didn't hurt you for touching them. your swing is so short and you can't move and attack so you bump hitboxes a bit too much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

as i was playing through Dream Land 1 I came across this:

I wonder if original plans were for there to be a bunch of Kirbys

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

hmm

do i want to buy civ 6 or xcom 2????

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

hmm

do i want to buy civ 6 or xcom 2????

XCOM 2. It's cheaper by now and you're not going to be stucking getting in during the early days of bugs and patches.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It's cheaper

Did it launch at more than $60?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Did it launch at more than $60?

No but I can't imagine it would be hard to find it somewhere less than full price and it's gone on sale a few times for crazy cheap.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

buy it on ps4 and tell me of it's worth getting

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

It's worth getting if it is the only version of XCOM 2 you can play but if there's even a remote chance your PC can run XCOM 2 you shouldn't bother.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

I've already got $15 sitting in my Steam wallet, so I'd rather have my next purchase be on Steam

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Civ vi is v fun

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm kinda leaning towards Civ 6 what with how hard the first XCOM was...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They're both good and fun !!!! I don't envy your decision

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i would say xcom 2 easily but i haven't played either

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Then why comment ????

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

Then why comment ????

Civ's got a bad record of needing patches and fixes at launch, and apparently the game gets better once the first expansions start rolling out.

XCOM 2 meanwhile goes on deep sales on a regular basis, has had its round of patches and mods and so on, and has glowing reviews from a plethora of sources.

I haven't played either, but those would be factors heavily tilting me towards XCOM 2, or at least into waiting for Civ to improve. :shrug:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Having played both: video games are good

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

Having played both: video games are good

:same:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I should say most of what I didn't like about XCOM the First was that one mission with the whale. Made me quit outright.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The only whales in Civ vi are +1 food +1gold

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah but I mean will XCOM 2 spring a mission that will punch you in the face like that?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yeah but I mean will XCOM 2 spring a mission that will punch you in the face like that?

nearly every mission in xcom2 is a pain in the rear end timed affair with mind control enemies abound

but :xcom:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
XCOM 2 hates you and will try really really hard to make sure you don't have fun playing it, but it is still fun regardless of said attempts

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Possibly the greatest opening of all time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

Possibly the greatest opening of all time

I've been loving the game as well. The power up variety is cool, the art is some of the best I've seen on the NES, every level has a new enemy and the bosses are fun and challenging. It's a wonderful game

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Transformers Devastation looked pretty fun in the trailers and gameplay videos but it's even more fun to play. This is such a rad game to have gotten free this month.

I haven't played a game that needed combo memorization in quite a long time but so far I'm getting by okay not knowing a ton of them. Combat just feels so good -not surprised Platinum makes fighting mechanics that are this tight- and I'm glad the vehicle forms and transformations were integrated so well.

Shame about the level design, though. Feels cheap and samey.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I got Civ 6.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:toot:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lizard Wizard posted:

I got Civ 6.

Have fun!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Transformers Devastation looked pretty fun in the trailers and gameplay videos but it's even more fun to play. This is such a rad game to have gotten free this month.

I haven't played a game that needed combo memorization in quite a long time but so far I'm getting by okay not knowing a ton of them. Combat just feels so good -not surprised Platinum makes fighting mechanics that are this tight- and I'm glad the vehicle forms and transformations were integrated so well.

Shame about the level design, though. Feels cheap and samey.

Yeah I'm really loving it.

The weapon loot-rolling thing is kind of a weird choice, but it's not a big deal.

The level design actually seems pretty good so far. I'm not very good at the game, so I'm not really taking advantage of a lot of the mobility features well. I like that they just give you arenas to fight in. You are almost never fighting the terrain and are always fighting the enemy. The softlock style aiming system feels really smooth. The combos are a really good fit for me, because I don't do well with complex combos, but this game gives a good mix of easy, repetitive combos, and more advanced combos that aren't too difficult.

It's a game that let's you learn the ins and out of combat with combos likes Triangle->Triangle->Triangle and Square->Square->Square->Square, but when you develop confidence in when to apply them, you can start mixing in combos like square->square->square->triangle->triangle->triangle.

The gameplay is really, really good, and the visual style is pretty great as well.

I do feel like some of the level design is just padding. And I'm torn on that, because while I feel like the game would be better with less of that, some people are quick to criticize a game that's too small, or just a boss rush.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

In Training posted:

I've been loving the game as well. The power up variety is cool, the art is some of the best I've seen on the NES, every level has a new enemy and the bosses are fun and challenging. It's a wonderful game

And it gave us Meta-Knight, the best knight in video games.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Okay, it's a November game, but they just released the system requirements for Watch Dogs 2 on PC and apparently it's going to support the XB1 and DS4 controllers but no mention of the 360 controller. Okay, not a huge deal for me, because whereas I've exclusively used a wireless 360 controller on PC up until now, I do have a couple of DS4s (but no adapter for PC on account of not having needed one yet). I guess it makes sense that PC games would eventually require the XB1 or DS4 gamepads over the 360 or whatever else, so maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get that DS4 adapter.

My question is: does the DS4's charging cable work on XB1 controllers? I'd assume it does because it's just basically a micro-USB cable, but just wanted to make sure, especially seeing as Googling such an apparently easy-to-answer question returns every answer from "yes" to "no" and everything in between. Thanks, internet. I just want a straight answer from someone who knows rather than a 12 year-old on GameFAQs making a wild guess.

Also, how's the battery life on the XB1 controller vs. the DS4? The DS4's pretty terrible, barely lasting more than about 4-6 hours on a full charge. "Say goodbye to AA batteries!" boasts the Microsoft web site regarding the XB1 controller. Yeah, well my wireless 360 controller lasts over a month on just a couple of AAs, thankyouverymuch Microsoft. Not exactly something I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to if the new, improved alternative can only be measured in hours.

I'm not in any rush to grab an XB1 controller if I already have a DS4 that just needs a PC adapter, but if the XB1 controller's battery life is significantly better than the DS4's then I may want to consider one of those instead.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

wait on civ 6 until patches come out and then buy the bundle. get xcom 2

I don't know if it was just me but xcom 1 felt pissed easy, build a good sniper and dumpster everything in the game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Video games = good ?????
Need verification

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I forgot about choice paralysis, which Civ games hit hard for me. Think I'm gonna refund Civ 6 and just get XCOM 2 tomorrow. :sweatdrop:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Video games = good ?????
Need verification

:yeah:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Retroblique posted:

so many words

uhh your 360 controller will work on a pc game i'm more than sure.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My first experience with a Kirby game was last year in March when I got my WiiU.

Actually, the day I got my WiiUI was the beginning of my great era of gaming because I got to experience a ton of games I'd never had access to.

I am a big fan of Kirby!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i now have played the betas for all the big shooters and since i don't play many mp focused shooters here's my thoughts

cod is bad. i don't really play cod but i hope they are usually better than this one. death is too fast for my taste, and the guns all feel bad. i'll wait for the remaster to be separate i guess.

bf1 is more battlefield. it seems pretty good vs the other similar dice game i played a beta for, battlefront, with real vehicles on the map and some cool poo poo going on but i dont know how to live for more than 2 seconds so i found it the most frustrating to play of the 3

tf2 is very fun. death comes at what feels like the right amount of time. traversal feels great too. the main beta mode was the one with ai enemies so even scrubs like me feel like they are contributing. of all the games this one felt the most like a game i would play but mp might be dead soon after launch

I don't think i'll get any of them but it was nice of EA and Activsn to help me make that decision with free betas

• Locked thread