Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The song itself is just too fast for a 90s/00s star trek theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I replaced it once with a segment from Holst's Jupiter and it worked well, had a good Trek feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq3YDm6fV-c

Countdown to someone posting the Don't Stop Me Now version.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 22, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MikeJF posted:

I'll do you one better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P4IlgtwHmA

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

If anything that's proof that any upbeat music syncs with that intro

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I think it's more proof that the Perfect Strangers theme is the best opening for any show.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If I ever got time to chat with a DS9 writer, I'd ask them if there had been an argument over whether O'Brien and Bashir should have actually hooked up and destroyed his marriage.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fister Roboto posted:

If I ever got time to chat with a DS9 writer, I'd ask them if there had been an argument over whether O'Brien and Bashir should have actually hooked up and destroyed his marriage.

My reasoning is that that's what they were doing in the holosuites anyway. They wore the costumes because that's their joint fetish. Keiko just turned a blind eye because it kept Miles happy/out of her hair, and she's not into dressing up like a Viking wench.

~*~enlightened 24th century values~*~

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Watching "The Enterprise Incident" on BBCA and it's a dramatic change from the previous week's "Spock's Brain".

Kirk is really Shatnering here:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

My reasoning is that that's what they were doing in the holosuites anyway. They wore the costumes because that's their joint fetish. Keiko just turned a blind eye because it kept Miles happy/out of her hair, and she's not into dressing up like a Viking wench.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

MikeJF posted:

I replaced it once with a segment from Holst's Jupiter and it worked well, had a good Trek feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq3YDm6fV-c

Hey now, retiming the video is cheating!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Watching "The Enterprise Incident" on BBCA and it's a dramatic change from the previous week's "Spock's Brain".

Kirk is really Shatnering here:

All time peak Shatner moment in this episode. I'LL.....KILL YOU!!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If I ever got time to chat with a DS9 writer, I'd ask them if there had been an argument over whether O'Brien and Kira should have actually hooked up and destroyed his marriage.

Call me naive but I think it's possible for two men to have a platonic friendship.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Arglebargle III posted:

Call me naive but I think it's possible for two men to have a platonic friendship.

Next you'll be saying a guy can have a platonic relationship with a female who hasn't friendzoned him *tips fedora*.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Besides, we all know Bashir and Garak are the true couple

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

The_Doctor posted:

Arglebargle III posted:

If they confine it to the holosuite, isn't it more of a photonic relationship?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Finally made it through my first watch of TOS. "Turnabout Intruder" was not as bad as I feared.

Now I have to convince my girlfriend to watch the movies. I poisoned the well by informing her of the even-odd rule. I also need to figure out what exactly is the best version of each of these dang movies.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

CPColin posted:

I also need to figure out what exactly is the best version of each of these dang movies.

For The Motion Picture it's undoubtedly the director's edition (only on DVD.) Its one of the few times that a director's cut ends up SHORTER than the theatrical, and boy was that needed. The whole edit is a lot tighter, even if the plot still plods.

Wrath of Khan is also better in Directors cut form. They give more backstory to Scotty that makes some things in the film resonate better. The new bluray release of it is good.

The only other film that's had alternate editions released is ST6: Undiscovered Country. I actually think the directors cut of that one doesn't really add anything of substance to the film, but doesn't detract from it either. I say go with whatever version you have available and not worry about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The home video version of TUC has some extra stuff at the end that helps parts of the ending make more sense. For whatever reason they left that out of the theatrical version.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

macnbc posted:

For The Motion Picture it's undoubtedly the director's edition (only on DVD.) Its one of the few times that a director's cut ends up SHORTER than the theatrical, and boy was that needed. The whole edit is a lot tighter, even if the plot still plods.

Sadly, though, TMP is really brought together by the incredible detail of V'Ger which is only visible in HD.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The home video version of TUC has some extra stuff at the end that helps parts of the ending make more sense. For whatever reason they left that out of the theatrical version.

All the versions up on streaming appear to be the theatrical which is LAME.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I really can't hate any of the original cast films. Even V is entirely watchable due to the trinity.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Streaming services should really start adding director's commentaries and such.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nerdman42 posted:

Streaming services should really start adding director's commentaries and such.

Netflix probably won't, it would make buying physical media worthless.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Netflix probably won't, it would make buying physical media worthless.

What's the loss to them?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

What's the loss to them?

Nothing but it probably violates their contract with the film studios.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah it's not so much that Netflix wouldn't as it is that the studios probably wouldn't license the commentary material to them.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

macnbc posted:

I stand by the best cut of TMP being the ABC-TV released for VHS "special longer version."

The directors cut DVD is ruined by all the soundtrack changes--the original alert sounds and computer voice warnings are mostly stripped out.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Honestly, the best Trek movie on Netflix is Galaxy Quest.

Just rewatched it yesterday and :allears:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Number_6 posted:

I stand by the best cut of TMP being the ABC-TV released for VHS "special longer version."

The directors cut DVD is ruined by all the soundtrack changes--the original alert sounds and computer voice warnings are mostly stripped out.

You mean the version that has Kirk departing from an open soundstage instead of the Enterprise because the shot was never finished and nobody seemed to notice? I have to disagree with you.

Bear in mind those sound effects were supposed to be temporary but ended up becoming final. The computer voices were also removed because they made a point in the Directors Cut to SHOW rather than NARRATE things via computer voice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pikestaff posted:

Honestly, the best Trek movie on Netflix is Galaxy Quest.

Just rewatched it yesterday and :allears:

I maintain that the best way to approach a sequel would be with a "Next Generation/reboot" version in the offing, and riffing on the tension between casts. Tim Allen being threatened by a sexy young replacement in the captain's chair (or a veteran Shakespearean Real Actor making him feel self-conscious about his ham) and poo poo.

Of course, by Grapthar's Hammer, one of the best parts of that cast can't reprise his role. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Of course, by Grapthar's Hammer, one of the best parts of that cast can't reprise his role. :smith:

Get Benedict Cumberbatch.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/789928570957209600

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

macnbc posted:

You mean the version that has Kirk departing from an open soundstage instead of the Enterprise because the shot was never finished and nobody seemed to notice? I have to disagree with you.

Bear in mind those sound effects were supposed to be temporary but ended up becoming final. The computer voices were also removed because they made a point in the Directors Cut to SHOW rather than NARRATE things via computer voice.

That's better than the version that trims the Klingon attack on V'ger for no discernible reason.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

macnbc posted:

Bear in mind those sound effects were supposed to be temporary but ended up becoming final.

Still better than what got inserted in the Directors Cut.

But then, I don't really like the direction they took sound effects post-TNG.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Went to a model show today; a few of the participants were doin' the trek thang:

The first thing that caught my eye was this foamcore Defiant:

Despite the colors being a little bright, dude really got the details:

The same modeller also did a BOP:

(the lighting was sort of lovely there, this is the only shot that really turned out.)

Dude also super-detailed this Lost in Space pod:

There was also this polar lights lit up Enterprise, with the warp nacelles having moving lights inside them. The effect was sorta spoiled, though, as one of the engines was making a lot of noise, which reminded me of one of those horrible "Snoring Sanda" motorized thingys.

I participated in the raffle draw, and made out like a bandit:

Russian jet bomber, German stuff, whatev. Lurking in both draw piles was one of these:

Comes with glop bucket! sleeping vessel:

e2: it was packaged in 1995, which means poor Odo was unsold for 20 years.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 23, 2016

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Comes with glop bucket!

The way you've angled this photo makes it look like he's detective Baby Legs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o0Qp5J_Oo8

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The way you've angled this photo makes it look like he's detective Baby Legs

Or he's about to take a dump.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Or he's about to take a dump.
He does not DUMP, he does not BLOW rear end, he does not DROP THE PAKLEDS OFF AT THE POOL, he does - not - have - a digestive tract!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Does Odo ever even use a phaser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He actually makes a huge deal about never using one.