Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
You are chill, but there are many of us. I just try to ignore KS I have backed so I don't get all wound up over delays. If you forget long enough, they just show up one day and it's a great surprise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Yeah I am the opposite of surprised that there are production delays.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The only delayed KS I've gotten worked up over is Robotech, and there's a drat good reason to get angry over that one.

Also, if you spend $40 at Reaper this month you get 3 free paints (fresh blood, vampiric skin, and breast cancer awareness pink), a random spooky mini, and some Halloween candy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Robotech (and similar things) are justified, and I even understood people who got irked at Bones I because, well, they didn't realize what they might be getting in for. But at this stage its Bones III and I figure you should know that 1) this process has lots of delays they can't control and 2) Reaper will actually come through and make good on it.

I guess that it helps that if I was suddenly filled with a burning fire to paint 100 random models, I have more than that glaring at me accusingly from storage.

Indolent Bastard posted:

You are chill, but there are many of us. I just try to ignore KS I have backed so I don't get all wound up over delays. If you forget long enough, they just show up one day and it's a great surprise!

That's not a bad idea, but then I wouldn't know how rad Brain-in-a-Jar guy is!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Yeah Reaper are learning that unless you are physically colocated with your offshore suppliers random poo poo like this happens all the time.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

a random spooky mini

I got a rock.

And yeah, not much Reaper could've done to help the delay. At best, they might've learned about it sooner, but it sounds like it was buried in the notes on the invoice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
totally expected, totally fine

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A couple times I sent them encouraging notes or thank yous for a job well-done under the circumstances, in order to offset the raging neckbeards spewing vitriol.

Also, according to the packing slip, Channing Tatum fulfilled my Bones I order, so that was pretty cool.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

JackMann posted:

I got a rock.

You lucky bastard. All I got was a skeleton holding an axe :sigh:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm 100% chill. My painting backlog is never ever getting cleared unless I go part time and get an airbrush, so gently caress it, it'll come when it comes and it'll sit around unpainted when it gets here :commissar:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I am part time and have an airbrush, and mine is never getting cleared either. My big box of Bones 2 has mostly served as a convenient, always there source of cheap minis for Kings of War :master: ideas I occasionally have, and otherwise fun thing to paint for Oath thread challenges.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 14, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I went in fairly big (core + some expansions) on all three Bones and I have painted a grand total of two (2) of my bones figures.

So yeah I don't care if there are delays. Anyway I'm getting my conan boardgame stuff this winter and it's gonna be a bunch of figures to paint, plus I have the piles of minis from the dungeon saga kickstarter. So basically I'm swimming in unpainted minis, and have hundreds more due to arrive, so gently caress it whatever.

That said: it actually is somewhat predictable that chinese manufacturers fail to adequately communicate their production delays. I've seen that across too many kickstarters (and non-kickstarter one-off productions), it's not just a pattern at this point, it's basically a given. There are language and cultural barriers that still present impediments to smooth on-time production. The only times I've seen things go perfectly well are when the contracting org has a chinese-speaking person on-site in China to manage the process. Other factors that make things easier are when it's a one-off order that is ready to be placed and filled at the moment you're requesting quotes from manufacturers, so you can go with whoever says "we can make that immediately and ship it next week;" when you're a giant corporation with one or a handful of factories that always do your work for you, so they highly prioritize your work over their other customers; or when the thing you're having them make is extremely simple, like just half a million of a single plastic object.

Miniatures and games never fit any of those criteria. They're usually one-offs, they're usually getting quotes long before the product's ready for production or even review prototypes to be run, they're usually not from companies based in China, and they're usually a bunch of different components that all have to be containerized or assembled or both.

Given all that: Reaper should be making their best guess as to a shipping date and then adding nine months. I think they add maybe two months. That's their fault. Buuuut, I don't really care, I'm getting piles of very cheap plastic minis eventually and it's not like I had some specific game or project I needed them for that I'm unable to do until they get here.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I wonder how many dorks will use the opt out option given to them?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
By the way, ReaperCon's next weekend. I'll be going.

I'm horribly tempted by Resin Ma'al Drakar, though hopefully not enough to actually lay down five hundred bucks for him.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

I as well have hundreds of unpainted bones 1&2 and am super chill about 3. It doesn't help my bones backlog that I took on painting a friend's Dread Fleet (my lord so many ships that have to be painted pre-assembly).

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I'm only annoyed about the delivery of the painting DVDs being delayed. Was looking forward to finally getting those.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I've managed to glue together most of my Bones 2 and that's it, so 3 can take as much time as it likes.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
This is the first Bones I've backed, so I don't have a huge backlog, and I was looking forward to adding a bunch of undead stuff to my KoW army, so that project is postponed as well. So I am slightly annoyed at the delay, but the reason is understandable and it's obvious that the delivery will be fulfilled.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, I'm currently at Reapercon.

Some of this may be relevant to your interests.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Oh god, I need that walrus man immediately.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cyberia posted:

Oh god, I need that walrus man immediately.

His name is Bob Ridolfi :colbert:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dang. I'm gonna have to try to make it to one of those reapercons some day. I'd love to meet Julie Guthrie and some of the other legendary sculptors they've got there.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Julie Guthrie and Bob Ridolfi look exactly like I imagined them, right down to their concerned expressions.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Bones IV was announced today. Spring 2017 timeframe, once they have Bones III fulfilled. I'll try to get some pictures of the sculpts for the new models. You already saw the sea turtle in my earlier picture.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think I'm going to have to draw the line. I need to paint at least 1% of my already purchased Bones before buying any more.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I think 1% of Bones painted will be a tad optimistic for me :)

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Look at you people, making rational decisions.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'll do what I did for 3 - just buy the stuff I think is really super-cool and cringe at my lack of an airbrush.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
More Pictures!

First part of the album are pictures of the new sculpts for Bones IV, with a couple of Con pictures and some pictures from the Factory Tour, if you were aching to see Reaper's factory cat.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Welp that first picture alone has me convinced to back, that hut looks awesome.

I hope they leave the legs unattached (with plug & socket arrangement) so it can be used as normal scenery too without having to saw em off.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Was Dragons Don't Share Bones 2?

That was awesome. I still haven't done anything with the dragon or the mans, but that ruined tower has made a great Frostgrave centerpiece. I used melted flight stand pegs to make icicles on it. I'm down for some Bonesium buildings and terrain.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah it was, and still painting mine right now, by which I mean I'm absolutely working on a Uni assignment due tomorrow.

The crypt and other graveyard bits are coming with Bones 3 too, and they're made out of a harder plastic formulation.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

I'll do what I did for 3 - just buy the stuff I think is really super-cool and cringe at my lack of an airbrush.

A passable airbrush setup costs about as much as a semi-loaded out boner pledge. Just sayin

Felime fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 23, 2016

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm too lazy to take proper care of an airbrush. Cleaning the whole thing out just to swap colors? Ugh.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I'm too lazy to take proper care of an airbrush. Cleaning the whole thing out just to swap colors? Ugh.

Generally cleaning it out in that sense just means a minute or two blowing water and cleaner through until you're satisfied, unless you've been spraying something strong and the next color is an easily tinted pigment like white (And you need it to be pure white).

Generally I only disassemble mine every couple uses, or after I've been spraying varnish. Varnish is a pain and a half to get out once it's dried.

IMO not really much more cleaning than really thoroughly cleaning nice brushes, generally. And if you gently caress up with brushes you can't disassemble them and soak them in airbrush cleaner overnight to fix them.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

As Felime said, cleaning an airbrush isn't terribly difficult. In fact, all you really need is water and airbrush cleaner (which in my case is just glass cleaner) and running it through a couple of times to flush out whatever colors you used. Maybe take out the needle and wipe it down with a clean cloth, but a good airbrush requires minimal care to keep it going. The Patriot 105 is especially good for this, as that thing is the AK-47 of goddamn airbrushes; it'll work through virtually any abuse you put it through, and any it can't, Badger's got a limited lifetime warranty.

The REAL problem* with airbrushing, really, is finding a proper place to use it. Having a place to ventilate the air is pretty important (though I've gotten away with just using the basement), especially if you or someone you're living with is susceptible to airborne particles. A respirator will run you maybe $30 and will keep your throat from being ravaged by whatever noxious poo poo you blow out into the air; combine it with a ventilation box and airbrushing becomes pretty safe.

Absolutely the biggest advantages to airbrushing is priming, base-coating, and varnishing. Even if all you use it is for is those reasons, you're cutting out a lot of time and energy, and the up-front cost saves you a lot in the long run. Being able to prime and varnish at any time of the year is incredibly useful.

* The other problem is of course, learning how to thin paint down to the proper consistency. I can't be assed most of the time and just use ready-made paints like Vallejo and Minitaire, but if there's custom colors you want to use, you'll have to learn it the hard way.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Felime posted:

A passable airbrush setup costs about as much as a semi-loaded out boner pledge. Just sayin

I don't have room for a proper spray booth anywhere and I'm not spraying indoors without one. Both I and my wife have iffy lungs.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

I don't have room for a proper spray booth anywhere and I'm not spraying indoors without one. Both I and my wife have iffy lungs.

That's a fair enough reason. They do make collapsible ones, but they still take up room when set up.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Have you ever started painting a fallen banner only to go "Oh, that's flayed skin" when you reach the hand on the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why can't it be both?

• Locked thread