Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Apraxin posted:

One of the great joys of the Great Benghazi Scandal is that it's so nebulous that you can just say 'I hate Hillary Clinton for Benghazi' and people who believe 20 different things about it will agree with you.

It goes all the way from a standard political scandal like 'the State Dept. missed warning signs of the attack, then said it was spontaneously motivated by anger at that pastor's anti-Muslim video to cover their asses' up to full-blown Infowars insanity: 'a team of brave Marines was ready to fly out and save the embassy staff, but Obama ordered them to stand down because as a secret Muslim he revels in the death of Americans, and then Hillary flew to the base and personally spat in the face of each Marine while stamping on the American flag'.

This like conspiracy 101. One of the first major things that got me reading debunking books was when in one of the conspiracy books I was reading, the JFK conspiracy coverage involved such things as the magic bullet, the grassy knoll, JFK not really being dead, JFK's coffin being way too heavy to be filled with just a body, etc. I wanted to be informed about such things, but I was lucky enough that my brain was willing to go one step further than most conspiracy theorists, in that while I didn't just want to accept the official story, I also wasn't willing to accept poo poo that didn't make sense from sources that disputed it. I wish I would have read debunking stuff first, it would have saved me some embarrassment in my youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kro-Bar posted:

ATM machine.

PIN number.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

GalacticAcid posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress is this from

https://twitter.com/molcandr/status/790142667002904576

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I find so confusing about Benghazi is how comparatively petty it is. (I know, a goon died.) 9/11 trutherism is a conspiracy at a massive scale: 3000 Americans died, wars were started. So that was Bush. Clinton? Oh, she and her co-demon Hussein Obama and a bunch of other guys at state dept were partially to blame for - not even intentionally killed, but were not sufficiently vigilant in preventing - the death of 4 Americans.

Birtherism is at least super simple. 1. to become president, you have to be born in the US. 2. Obama is president. 3. Obama was not born in the US. Benghazi is all over the place.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress is this from

The original came from Russian Embassy UK Twitter account.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Kro-Bar posted:

ATM machine.

PIN number.

Edit: Jesus... 3rd time I've gotten beaten on this thread today. I should just put the phone down. :(

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 23, 2016

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/LukeBrinker/status/790216973057654784

What a pretty map. :allears:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cingulate posted:

One thing I find so confusing about Benghazi is how comparatively petty it is. (I know, a goon died.) 9/11 trutherism is a conspiracy at a massive scale: 3000 Americans died, wars were started. So that was Bush. Clinton? Oh, she and her co-demon Hussein Obama and a bunch of other guys at state dept were partially to blame for - not even intentionally killed, but were not sufficiently vigilant in preventing - the death of 4 Americans.

Birtherism is at least super simple. 1. to become president, you have to be born in the US. 2. Obama is president. 3. Obama was not born in the US. Benghazi is all over the place.

A lot of it was given an initial big push because it happened during an election cycle and the Republicans were desperate for anything to discredit Obama's relative success in Libya. Then it went self replicating once it was it hit critical mass.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing with Benghazi and the email bullshit is that it is the best they got. That's it. That's why it is a big deal, because it is the best thing they have. So it has to be super-important (even if similar things weren't super important when Republicans did them) because otherwise they have nothing of any value to attack Hillary Clinton on.

This is also why the "Hillary Clinton is the most corrupt person ever" stuff is kind of tedious. She's been on politics for 30 years and the best attacks anyone can line up are "wasn't as good at email security as she should have been" "Said the wrong thing after an attack on an embarassy" "Her charity" and "Her husband cheated on her." If she is so loving good at being corrupt that the best you got is that then you're already hosed.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

PIN number.

JEB Bush

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Kro-Bar posted:

Pretty accurate as I understand it, except that it was a Consulate and not an Embassy. The latter would have had more built-in protection, I believe.

Yeah, that

But yeah, it's pretty much been milked into a Republican dream because they can alter it to be whatever they want.
The few I've seen that actually listened to the actual details just believe we should have released the military and that's plenty of reason to make it all Obama/Hillary's fault...you know, aside from paradropping hundreds of troops and tons of equipment in a foreign country comes off more as an illegal invasion than a covert action to save a few people and would have kicked off some relation nightmares in an unstable, volatile section of the world

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, that

But yeah, it's pretty much been milked into a Republican dream because they can alter it to be whatever they want.
The few I've seen that actually listened to the actual details just believe we should have released the military and that's plenty of reason to make it all Obama/Hillary's fault...you know, aside from paradropping hundreds of troops and tons of equipment in a foreign country comes off more as an illegal invasion than a covert action to save a few people and would have kicked off some relation nightmares in an unstable, volatile section of the world

Ive talked to people who legit belive that with all the security requests it should of set off a red alarm that had US military forces move in to protect our assets in Libya. During a civil war. I dont think there is a :wtf: big enough.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Kro-Bar posted:

So in other words your interpretation of the Benghazi scandal is *wet fart*

I just don't see what's so scandalous about either scenario, i.e. whether or not the CIA were arming rebel factions. It wouldn't be the first time they did in any case.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

With au jus

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Just chiming in because I broke down and put up fivebux for an avatar; but more importantly, bad hombres

But even more importantly, go over to the RAINN thread and donate. Because they help people and you need redemption you awful piece of goon poo poo.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794070

skylined! fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 23, 2016

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Cingulate posted:

It's incredibly petty. I really think some people have just been aching for something negative to happen for a while so that thier predictions of "Obama cannot keep us safe!!!! Look what happens when democrats are responsible for defense!!!" will have some credibility, even a little, because that was a massive reason that was fielded against him, in both elections. Something terrible happened, americans died = validation of the dire warnings.
It's also affected Clinton because it happened when she was sec. of state. Hillary is to blame because - well there just about as many theories as to why she failed, intentionally or out of incompetence, as there are theories that the U.S. government covers up space aliens.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Minnesota also a toss up?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
So, this may be putting too much thought and/or logic into it, but why do right wing nuts think the mainstream media is left-leaning? Like, is the assumption that the massive media corporations are owned by billionaires who are secret liberals and trying to corrupt the public? Because I was looking at it as said nuts assume media supported liberal policies sell better to a naive public, but then that'd just be a reflection both of a liberal majority in the public, and that the free market is speaking loud and clear, neither of which the right would concede.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rated PG-34 posted:

I just don't see what's so scandalous about either scenario, i.e. whether or not the CIA were arming rebel factions. It wouldn't be the first time they did in any case.

Rebel factions against who? Are you being confused by the fact that the rebellion had recently won the country, and of course they would still receive assistance?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Did they make Minnesota tossup just so Clinton wouldn't be at 270? And Oregon is only lean Dem? :psyduck:

Edit: And Connecticut? The more I look at this map the crazier it is.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

If Texas flips I'm going to get so many complaints from neighbors for blasting "Deep in the Heart of Texas" on repeat. Worth it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

SocketWrench posted:

Basically Al Quaeda planned out anniversary attacks for 9/11 and one of those attacks was the Embassy in Benghazi. Attack started, people notified Washington DC. A drone was sent over to confirm and then action was taken. Unfortunately the closest unit around available to get moving was a small team of operatives that had to commandeer a plane to get there. By the time they did the compound had been overrun.
Later Hillary and Obama blamed a video that someone released to upset Muslims when it was known it was just another planned terrorism.

Republicans spun the gently caress out of it because anything to dethrone the black man and his white bitch underling

My parents 100% hate the whole video misreport/lie (i don't know enough to determine which one it was), and firmly believe it was a lie because the election was near.
(Though they also believe the klintons killed Foster, so :shrug:)

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Thaddius the Large posted:

So, this may be putting too much thought and/or logic into it, but why do right wing nuts think the mainstream media is left-leaning? Like, is the assumption that the massive media corporations are owned by billionaires who are secret liberals and trying to corrupt the public? Because I was looking at it as said nuts assume media supported liberal policies sell better to a naive public, but then that'd just be a reflection both of a liberal majority in the public, and that the free market is speaking loud and clear, neither of which the right would concede.

Because why else would their lovely opinions and policies be wrong?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

My parents 100% hate the whole video misreport/lie (i don't know enough to determine which one it was), and firmly believe it was a lie because the election was near.
(Though they also believe the klintons killed Foster, so :shrug:)

bad news

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BrainMeats posted:

Minnesota also a toss up?

If it's within 5 pts it's a tossup. Clinton has +4.8, similar to Trumps 4.7 in Texas.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

My personal favourite is from here:

code:
              Clinton  Trump	Margin
Trump Best	272	266	Clinton by 6 EV
Expected	334	204	Clinton by 130 EV
Clinton Best	410	128	Clinton by 282 EV
Trump's best case scenario: a 6 EV loss

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

I fear it may be terminal :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rated PG-34 posted:

While it's definitely the sort of thing the CIA has done in the past, there's no evidence that they were involved in any sort of Libyan coup. I get where you're coming from - it's not like the CIA hasn't been involved in Middle East "regime change" before - but there's genuinely no evidence of that happening here, or even really much in the way of CIA motive in Libya post-Gaddhafi. It wasn't even a unique attack, plenty of embassies were attacked in the Bush years, and even a few others in the Obama years as I recall.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

If it's within 5 pts it's a tossup. Clinton has +4.8, similar to Trumps 4.7 in Texas.

What polling are they looking at that has it redder than Wisconsin though? It's pretty consistently +1-2 more D.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Alot of it has to do with the name 'mainstream media.' They are outsider who are in the enlightened group, not part of the easily tricked masses.
And also, yes this-

skylined! posted:

Because why else would their lovely opinions and policies be wrong?

Nobody likes being called an rear end in a top hat, even when they are acting like an rear end in a top hat.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

SocketWrench posted:

That whole skit was amazing. Baldwin is perfect, and if there was any reason I'd want to see Trump stick around and not fade into a poor obscurity it's so Baldwin could continue to mock him

I find it funny that Baldwin's son supports The Cheeto. (also whew my keyboard still works after spilling water on it and having to take it apart and shake it dry)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Journalists tend to be highly educated and thus, as a group, are more liberal than the general population. The thinking of the right is that the personal slant of most journalists overpowers the generally right-wing corporate interests of the news media (or they just ignore the corporate interests entirely).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Maybe when the Democrats own both houses we can get some congressional committees devoted to looking at why Reagan let terrorists blow up an Embassy and kill hundreds of marines in their barracks in Lebanon and then turned tail and ran like a coward rather than doing anything about it. Hell, let's try him posthumously as a traitor.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Agrajag posted:

I find it funny that Baldwin's son supports The Cheeto. (also whew my keyboard still works after spilling water on it and having to take it apart and shake it dry)

Do you mean his brother, Stephen? Alec Baldwin's oldest son is about a year old so it'd be odd if he had a political opinion one way or the other.

Kro-Bar fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 23, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Instant Sunrise posted:

Karl Rove looked at this outfit and said "yes, I will wear this on national tv"

M'LADY

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Kro-Bar posted:

Do you mean his brother, Stephen? Alec Baldwin's oldest son is about a year old so it'd be odd if he had a political opinion one way or the other.

oh it's his brother? i thought the dude was his son.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

:burger:

Agrajag posted:

oh it's his brother? i thought the dude was his son.

No, Stephen is probably the most discounted of the Baldwins.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Liberal elites who live in New York and Control the Media and aren't considered "Real Americans" is, to me, a more sanitized version of whole "The Jews Control the Media and Banks" narrative, and with the right wing nuts they are DEFINITELY still holding to that, if the alt-right's relationship with (((The Media))) is anything to go by.

However, for your average Republican who might not be aware of that being a thing, I think it comes more from how the media doesn't focus on or care about rural areas,, and then the Republicans in charge, or talk radio hosts, or Fox News, pick your poison, actively plays into that resentment and encourages it. Not to say that they don't also take advantage of and encourage racism, sexism, homophobia, and the like because they do, but I think a major point that they start with that's glossed over is appealing to rural America when the "Mainstream Media", by and large, doesn't really seem to do that.

I would like to look into this kind of thing more, though, if anyone has any literature about it, since I'm honestly just intuiting this, but I'd really like to read more about this and see if that's actually a thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FactsAreUseless posted:

While it's definitely the sort of thing the CIA has done in the past, there's no evidence that they were involved in any sort of Libyan coup. I get where you're coming from - it's not like the CIA hasn't been involved in Middle East "regime change" before - but there's genuinely no evidence of that happening here, or even really much in the way of CIA motive in Libya post-Gaddhafi. It wasn't even a unique attack, plenty of embassies were attacked in the Bush years, and even a few others in the Obama years as I recall.
If there isn't some nebulous constellation of horrible motives at work in the Benghazi situation, why do I keep insisting that there is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Bip Roberts posted:

No, Stephen is probably the most discounted of the Baldwins.

Almost like starring in Biodome and going on to be BFFs with Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort might create some distance between Stephen and the rest of the Baldwins.

• Locked thread