Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Tim DeRuyter out at Fresno http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/10/23/13373004/tim-deruyter-fired-fresno-state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

So Tom Herman's been imploding

He should go to Purdue

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Herman's agent needs to tell him to get of the phone with him and back to the team to start winning some games before his price tag gets any lower.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Keep losing Herminator. Maybe LSU won't want you.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Wanvig posted:

Herman's agent needs to tell him to get of the phone with him and back to the team to start winning some games before his price tag gets any lower.

It's a way to drum up even more interest...now every middling P5 can afford to have their very own Tom Herman! In fact, he should take a leave of absence til maybe December so he can hit the road and really sell!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sab0921 posted:

Keep losing Herminator. Maybe LSU won't want you.

He's just making himself a little more affordable for us.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Texas might as well fire Charlie Strong now and hire Herman, just so save us all the months of speculation.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

James Franklin most certainly saved his job last night

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

He was a cool DC. I was cheering for him :/

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

big money big clit posted:

He's just making himself a little more affordable for us.

I dunno, Coach O is making his case. The things that got Les fired are the things that Orgeron seems to be fixing. The offense isn't one dimensional any more, and the team makes very obvious adjustments during the game. Between Houston's swoon and Coach O's winning, the LSU AD ought not to make pursuing Herman it's sole focus. I mean, if they think he's their guy, buy all means put together a package and woo him, but they might have a replacement in house.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I have a feeling LSU is holding out for Chip

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Between Odom and Claeys there are a lot of wannabe Kyle Floods out there. I guess Helfrich and especially Shaw don't really count. And Lovie Smith is really bad as well but in a different way.

Hoke was a good assistant, and he was a good mid major coach. Is it just that he is a fit for the Big Ten boring style, and can't comprehend the forward pass? Even today Michigan fans give him credit for being a great DL coach. I have trouble believing people could fall off THAT much. But then again, Greg Robinson.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Well you see you just can't keep the same system that sent like 25 people to the NFL, gotta control those gaps.

He probably gets a pass for at least 2 years because of the system change unless Odom's job is in trouble somehow, realistically.
I think we're looking at a two win season this year. I mean honestly, Odom's job should be in jeopardy.

But, MU is sinking a lot of money into upgrading facilities and I can't imagine them eating all but one year of his contract. Especially right now.

I felt like I was maybe too negative about the Odom hire at the start, but holy hell maybe I wasn't negative enough about it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Benne posted:

....Kelly??

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

A.o.D. posted:

....Kelly??

It's not like his NFL career is going anywhere, and I can't see him sticking around for a multi-year rebuild in San Francisco if there's a good college job open right now.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Harbaugh leaving the 49ers when he did was even more inexplicable than Chip Kelly leaving them now so I'm willing to believe it's possible.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Pakled posted:

Harbaugh leaving the 49ers when he did was even more inexplicable than Chip Kelly leaving them now so I'm willing to believe it's possible.

Harbaugh got pushed out the door in a power struggle during the peak of their contention window. Kelly inherited the least-talented team in the league that's not going to win anytime soon. Oh, and they still employ the lovely GM who created that roster. It's not a long-term situation and I'm pretty sure Chip knows that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

From what I remember it wasn't all that inexplicable, didn't Harbaugh butt heads with York and the SF front office a lot?

E: BENNE :doom:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Kim Jong Il posted:

Between Odom and Claeys there are a lot of wannabe Kyle Floods out there. I guess Helfrich and especially Shaw don't really count. And Lovie Smith is really bad as well but in a different way.

Hoke was a good assistant, and he was a good mid major coach. Is it just that he is a fit for the Big Ten boring style, and can't comprehend the forward pass? Even today Michigan fans give him credit for being a great DL coach. I have trouble believing people could fall off THAT much. But then again, Greg Robinson.

Hoke was a very good DL coach in the late 1990s, who knows if he still would be. He's never shown much of anything as a Head Coach and this was his first time being a DC.

I mean his track record is 'being mediocre at Ball State and slightly above average at San Diego State and then horrible at Michigan'

I feel like he'd be a good hire as either a D-Line coach or a recruiting coordinator type, but he's never shown any real aptitude for xs-os coaching in his entire career

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oh man, I really don't want Chip Kelly in Baton Rouge.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

A.o.D. posted:

I don't either... Chip Kelly, with LSU's athletes?! They'd be putting up 100 points a game

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

A.o.D. posted:

:stonk:

That is a goddamned terrifying thought.

Or at Texas. Imagine all though spread athletes rolling into Austin w Kelly gatdamn.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

You all misunderstand. I don't like the guy, and don't want to cheer for a team he coaches.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I want Kelly at LSU if for no other reason than for someone to compete with Alabama.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I believe that he'd get exposed as a fraud against Saban.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

A.o.D. posted:

I dunno, Coach O is making his case. The things that got Les fired are the things that Orgeron seems to be fixing. The offense isn't one dimensional any more, and the team makes very obvious adjustments during the game. Between Houston's swoon and Coach O's winning, the LSU AD ought not to make pursuing Herman it's sole focus. I mean, if they think he's their guy, buy all means put together a package and woo him, but they might have a replacement in house.

He's improved the offense because it would be almost impossible for it to have gotten worse. They are running a new scheme that teams have very little tape on and have had limited time to prepare for, so they are doing very well, particularly given the low level of competition they've faced so far.

I'm not really prepared to hand the keys to the kingdom to a guy based on three games (or even a half a season) when his last head coaching stint was such a disaster. I'd like a coach that has proven that they can handle the requirements of being a head coach at some level, meaning all of the requirements. Recruiting, assembling a staff, keeping players motivated for a whole year, etc...

It's pretty naive to think that the right guy was secretly there all along, right under our noses. When has a mid season interim/turned full head coach actually not ended in mediocrity?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Benne posted:

I hope that's just gas.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

big money big clit posted:

He's improved the offense because it would be almost impossible for it to have gotten worse. They are running a new scheme that teams have very little tape on and have had limited time to prepare for, so they are doing very well, particularly given the low level of competition they've faced so far.

I'm not really prepared to hand the keys to the kingdom to a guy based on three games (or even a half a season) when his last head coaching stint was such a disaster. I'd like a coach that has proven that they can handle the requirements of being a head coach at some level, meaning all of the requirements. Recruiting, assembling a staff, keeping players motivated for a whole year, etc...

It's pretty naive to think that the right guy was secretly there all along, right under our noses. When has a mid season interim/turned full head coach actually not ended in mediocrity?

I agree with everything you wrote. LSU didn't get rid of a coach who brought them a national championship just to go the budget route and keep Orgeron. They're going to spend big money on a name hire.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

A.o.D. posted:

I believe that he'd get exposed as a fraud against Saban.

Yeah Kelly's system has like 3 or 4 base plays which are basically chosen by algorithm, you can't be that predictable against a saban defense

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
This season is lost but Odom can stop the bleeding a little bit if he steps in and takes control of the defense from Cross. Which he probably won't.

We lost Coach Kool for this. Well done Mizzou. :thumbsup:

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Korranus posted:

It's a way to drum up even more interest...now every middling P5 can afford to have their very own Tom Herman! In fact, he should take a leave of absence til maybe December so he can hit the road and really sell!

So he's all but out the door already, right? And our LB's are punching each other in the face and the whole team has collapsed in every aspect of the game because they see it coming?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

James Franklin most certainly saved his job last night

The rest of the schedule looks winnable, really, so...a 10-2 season even with a loss to Pitt and getting ground into a fine paste by Michigan bought him a lot of time.

Lose a nonsense loss to Rutgers or something and you'll piss away the Ohio State good vibes instantly.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Since I'm not sleeping anytime soon after that glorious SNF debacle, a review of where I had the hotseat coaches:

ACC: Doeren almost had the job saver with the upset over Clemson, but at 4-3 and two winnable games (BC/Cuse) on the schedule I think he's gone and doesn't make a bowl; maybe 5-7 and a bowl bid saves him but I dunno. Clawson's finally got Wake going in the right direction so he's safe, and if Addazio doesn't win a conference he has to be gone; remaining games are @NCST/LOU/@FSU/@WF so there'll be a new coach next season.

B1G: Kevin Wilson may have bumblefucked himself to a 5-7 year and needing an APR bye to make a bowl, he's not safe at all. Mike Riley, however, is quite safe, and so's James Franklin after the Ohio State win. RIP Darrell Hazell.

B12: At some point Kliffy's gotta beat somebody, scoring a billion points don't count when you give up a trillion, and beating Texas won't count. Grobe's just at Baylor to ride out the season, Strong's all but fired, and Holgo's got all the leverage over WVU now; they have to offer him an extension to save face but if he wants to go somewhere while his value's high (Holgo The Magnificent to LSU start the rumor mill now dammit) I wouldn't blame him.

P12: Oregon State is still pretty bad so Gary Andersen isn't safe, and I think he needs to win the Civil War to either save his job or not enter 2017 firmly on the hot seat. Mike MacIntyre is firmly off the hot seat, and Mark Helfrich can take his place.

SEC: Malzahn and Sumlin are very safe. Stoops saves his job if Kentucky makes a bowl, and Mason looks like he'll get another year. Smart will stay in Heating Up because Georgia is full of idiots cheered for by morons, Butch Jones might be gone if Florida wins the East, and Muschamp won't be canned, yet, but isn't safe at all. Put bert down in here after that he got his fat rear end beaten last night. RIP Les Miles

'Murica: Herman's all but out the door at H-Town, yes I know he wasn't on the hot seat but still. Tubbs will probably go out the door at Cinci voluntarily as he continues to execute the Frank Haith Coaching and Transition Success Plan.

C-USA: Charlotte's won a couple games so Brad Lambert is fine. Partridge is probably gone at the end of the year since FAU is real bad still, and Sean Kugler might have the same fat at UTEP. RIP Ron Turner.

MAC: NIU fell off this year, so Rod Carey might be gone, or enter 2017 on the hot seat. He's in danger regardless. Chris Creighton has EMU nearly bowling, so he's fine. Paul Haynes hasn't been fired yet but it's coming.

MWC: Craig Bohl turned Wyoming around so he's fine. Nevada is mediocre so Polian is in trouble, and San Jose St/Ron Caragher is in the same simmering pot. RIP Tim DeRuyter.

Fun Belt: Joey Jones is 0-4 in conference but 3-4 overall, if he can get to a bowl I'll be amazed and he'll be safe. Petrino's got Idaho in bowl position but whether he stays with the drop to FCS I dunno, and same with Doug Martin at New Mexico State. Those two have a different set of circumstances obviously.

Indep: Monken had Army looking good for a while, though I don't think they make a bowl. It's enough to buy him another year. Whipple is in the Petrino/Martin boat of who knows what might happen, and if Brian Kelly gets canned it wouldn't surprise me, regardless of what the AD said.

Fired - Les Miles/Darrell Hazell/Ron Turner/Tim DeRuyter (4)

Potential Casualities - Steve Addazio/Dave Doeren/Kevin Wilson/Charlie Strong/Jim Grobe/Gary Andersen/Mark Helfrich/bert/Charlie Partridge/Sean Kugler/Rod Carey/Paul Haynes/Brian Polian/Rod Caragher/Joey Jones/Doug Martin/Brian Kelly (17)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kelly signed a 6-year extension last year and they're still paying Charlie Weis through December 31, he's not being canned this year but yeah he'll be on a far warmer seat next year.

There's some talk going around that Fresno State is looking to bring Jeff Tedford back into the game. I think he's up in the CFL somewhere right now.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
w/r/t Kelly, a 4* DE just de-committed from ND and committed to Michigan and publicly said this

quote:

“He (Harbaugh) doesn’t act like he’s important. He doesn’t act like he’s one of the best coaches in the country,” said Jeter. “He’s real down to earth and humble. He’s easy to talk to. Talking to Brian Kelly wasn’t fun. It wasn’t cool. You have to make an appointment just to go to his office. Coach Harbaugh has an open-door policy. Every one of Michigan’s coaches has an open-door policy.”

"Talking to Brian Kelly wasn't fun. It wasn't cool." - the least surprising news of all time

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

There's some talk going around that Fresno State is looking to bring Jeff Tedford back into the game. I think he's up in the CFL somewhere right now.

Was it Tedford who had some sort of really bad health problems recently?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Kliff's still safe no matter what. TTU can't afford the buyout.

I still think he stays as long as he would like, but that defense has got to get fixed. I don't know how long Gibbs is kept around.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Was it Tedford who had some sort of really bad health problems recently?

Yeah he had some heart surgery a couple years ago I think.

E: Wiki says a coronary angioplasty, had 2 stents put in an artery.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

w/r/t Kelly, a 4* DE just de-committed from ND and committed to Michigan and publicly said this

"Talking to Brian Kelly wasn't fun. It wasn't cool." - the least surprising news of all time

He took it back already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Wanvig posted:

So he's all but out the door already, right? And our LB's are punching each other in the face and the whole team has collapsed in every aspect of the game because they see it coming?

I hope some big name schools that were planning on hiring Herman sees Houston get worse and worse each week and then has second thoughts about hiring him. And then he gets stuck with Houston, which proceeds to become a dumpster fire. And then no one wants Herman anymore, who is doomed to perennial 6-6 seasons at Houston

• Locked thread