Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Slio posted:

If he doesn't play Geist, one of those mountain bolts kills the Spirit and he's got nothing that can attack for lethal.

oh duh, you're right, this is why i don't play tournament Magic haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Post that list!

Bant Spirits, and Top 32 overall.

One the one hand it's another drat archetype putting Hierarchs out of my reach, but on the other hand he's running Steel of the Godhead which owns so w/e.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

who plays esper charm

is this 2009 or something

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Woot Caleb.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

It's a pile of good cards that was a good metagame call for the PT. I don't think this is GW tokens 2.0 (in terms of long term dominance) quite yet, but it's obviously powerful and a quite flexible shell, having game against basically everything on the field.

E: I'm not sure how bad the vehicles matchup is.

The deck is so great. The vehicles matchup is great. It's favored against everything. I wish I was as good a player as this deck is a deck. I really punted away a terrific finish at 6-1 up in Prov...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/bens8528/status/790294334864261120

My spirit animal.

I have the complete 75 of this spirits deck. I might sleeve it up.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I got to kill a guy with his own Aetherworks Marvel. I think I should just dump my collection and get out of Standard, it can only be downhill from there.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Bant Spirits, and Top 32 overall.

One the one hand it's another drat archetype putting Hierarchs out of my reach, but on the other hand he's running Steel of the Godhead which owns so w/e.

I recently played the u/w version of this deck to pretty decent results, and looking at this the only cards I'm missing are 2x steel of the godhead.

Downside: now more people are going to be prepared for this deck.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

how is it wrong to punish bribery

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ZeroCount posted:

It's not, it's basically cheating. If WotC focused more on card cheats and cracked down on clear bribery instead of trying to stop people using proxies or people who want to enjoy playing on MTGO I certainly would be happier.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

ZeroCount posted:

Because the tournament guidelines are incredibly arbitrary and tend to punish people who don't know how to game the system.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

Because the tournament guidelines are incredibly arbitrary and tend to punish people who don't know how to game the system.

Only because those guidelines are too lenient. A match where just happens to concede to the other, and the winning player just happening to give ~75% of their prize to the player that conceded in plain view of the tournament organizer, should throw up some red flags. The fact is, though, that that's fine right now, as long as both players have their stories straight and neither player admits and nobody overhears either player establishing that the prize split is contingent on one player conceding to the other.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Remember folks, RIP has a trigger when it comes into play. Kent just sharked his opponent on camera when he moved a card that was in his graveyard to exile and moved it back stating that his opponent forgot to verbally say the trigger. One could argue he was going through the moves of exiling his card in effort to get his opponent to make a mistake. Always say it in comp rel.

Looking forward to an [O] acknowledgement of the unwritten shortcut policy this falls under. I mean: I play RiP. I see my opponent resolve the trigger because we both know why I played this card. I don't say anything because my opponent is already doing what the card says. Moments later, he says nevermind, and the card's back in his yard. Seems pretty clear what I'd rule if I were walking up to this table, and whether or not the opponent has been an above-board fine upstanding moral Magic citizen his entire career (as people are arguing for Kent on social media) has nothing to do with it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BJPaskoff posted:

Looking forward to an [O] acknowledgement of the unwritten shortcut policy this falls under. I mean: I play RiP. I see my opponent resolve the trigger because we both know why I played this card. I don't say anything because my opponent is already doing what the card says. Moments later, he says nevermind, and the card's back in his yard. Seems pretty clear what I'd rule if I were walking up to this table, and whether or not the opponent has been an above-board fine upstanding moral Magic citizen his entire career (as people are arguing for Kent on social media) has nothing to do with it.

Did his opponent move his graveyard? Because if he did then the ruling was 100% wrong. You can't resolve half of a trigger. Is there a video of this anywhere?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

Did his opponent move his graveyard? Because if he did then the ruling was 100% wrong. You can't resolve half of a trigger. Is there a video of this anywhere?

The judge asked the rip player to repeat his last turn. He verbally repeated the turn without mentioning the trigger confused why he was being asked. The judge then ruled against him. The justification being that the player didn't protest his opponent exiling his card or mentioning a trigger. I imagine because believed it was obvious game state (just like everyone watching).

It's basically the dumb pithing needle issue all over again. They need to change the ruling of the card to not be missable. Common sense judging would also help.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/scglive/RelievedStinkbugMrDestructoid Kent moved his graveyard. That's fact, here's some assumptions based on body language: Frank turns as if he's looking at the graveyard being moved, but as soon as Kent's arm is extended all the way, Frank goes and fiddles with his lands because that's what Magic players do. Kent takes that opportunity to move the card back into his yard, and Frank notices something's amiss. Kent gives the half-hearted thumbs up I've seen Magic players give a thousand times where they want to let their opponent make a misplay. Frank goes "What?" and Kent points out that he "missed" the Rest in Peace trigger.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

https://twitter.com/bens8528/status/790294334864261120

My spirit animal.

I have the complete 75 of this spirits deck. I might sleeve it up.

Gonna be interesting to see if Tiu gets a long suspension.

BJPaskoff posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/scglive/RelievedStinkbugMrDestructoid Kent moved his graveyard. That's fact, here's some assumptions based on body language: Frank turns as if he's looking at the graveyard being moved, but as soon as Kent's arm is extended all the way, Frank goes and fiddles with his lands because that's what Magic players do. Kent takes that opportunity to move the card back into his yard, and Frank notices something's amiss. Kent gives the half-hearted thumbs up I've seen Magic players give a thousand times where they want to let their opponent make a misplay. Frank goes "What?" and Kent points out that he "missed" the Rest in Peace trigger.

Speaking of suspensions, I hope Ketter gets one for this nickel and dime poo poo.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 24, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

What the gently caress? It was still the RiP player's turn, he couldn't possibly have missed that trigger because nothing loving happened!

That's some bullshit.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

BJPaskoff posted:

That's fjucked up

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lottery of Babylon posted:

By Devotion do you mean the RTR-Theros standard, starring Sphinx's Revelation, or the Theros-KTK standard, starring Siege Rhino and GW Devotion?

g/w devotion wasnt even the third best devotion deck

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

oooookay that's a super obvious cheat and it's dumb that the judge ruled the way he did anyway since RIP is the easiest missed trigger to resolve since the graveyard state doesn't change from after casting

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

g/w devotion wasnt even the third best devotion deck

by the time GW and GR Devotion were good monoblack and monoblue devotion were out of commission

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Remember to read every card you play out loud like a yugioh character so this doesn't happen to you

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

This is sorta maddening in part because competitive courtesy seems to involve expediting as much of your turn as possible, ie not wasting time declaring a trigger when your opponent is already responding to it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
See, I play out everything in competitive rules level events because I try to avoid any confrontations or confusion about things. Because some fucker's going to call me out on it if I don't spell every loving thing out to them and try to get a judge call against me for it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/Boss_MTG/status/790410154089021440

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

:woof:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

u no gotta be honest not super in love with mtg drama altho i understand it has a place in the thread

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
why can't more people be like LSV and Caleb Durward and just love life and each other

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Only because those guidelines are too lenient. A match where just happens to concede to the other, and the winning player just happening to give ~75% of their prize to the player that conceded in plain view of the tournament organizer, should throw up some red flags. The fact is, though, that that's fine right now, as long as both players have their stories straight and neither player admits and nobody overhears either player establishing that the prize split is contingent on one player conceding to the other.

No, it has nothing to do with being too lenient and everything to do with being unenforceable nonsense.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

why can't more people be like LSV and Caleb Durward and just love life and each other

because 99% of nerds are the loving worst

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

mandatory lesbian posted:

oooookay that's a super obvious cheat and it's dumb that the judge ruled the way he did anyway since RIP is the easiest missed trigger to resolve since the graveyard state doesn't change from after casting

quote:

I asked the table judge [Ken Bearl] about the ruling as I thought that Kent moving the graveyard meant the trigger would resolve. The judge told me that neither player had mentioned that the graveyard had been touched. If that information was given he would have ruled the other way.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Ross insulted Hoogland's receding hairline and Hoogland dissed Ross's leather jacket. They're gonna meet in the Octagon next SCG Open. I hope they get paired up against each other in a feature match next SCG event.

Whole thing is kinda weird because Ross seems much more laid back than his twitter activity tonight. I wonder if some words were exchanged at the Open this weekend

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/Boss_MTG/status/790415045926674433

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am okay with Tom Ross making fun of Jeff Hoogland.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Ross insulted Hoogland's receding hairline and Hoogland dissed Ross's leather jacket. They're gonna meet in the Octagon next SCG Open. I hope they get paired up against each other in a feature match next SCG event.

Whole thing is kinda weird because Ross seems much more laid back than his twitter activity tonight. I wonder if some words were exchanged at the Open this weekend

The dude is well known as "Boo Hoo-gland" so you should just assume Tom Ross is a boss and that Hoogland was being a hooligan.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

is it a mtg pro community thing to all have twitter pictures of cartoon versions of themselves? I don't follow any of them and only enjoy the drama flareups. Please tell me it's a thing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

is it a mtg pro community thing to all have twitter pictures of cartoon versions of themselves? I don't follow any of them and only enjoy the drama flareups. Please tell me it's a thing.

Tom Ross's is his token card art, because he's actually won something. Hooglands is a cartoon.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Chill la Chill posted:

Several of them are their representations on SCG tokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

am i supposed to think the judge's reasoning isn't dumb, cuz i do and still will no matter what he says

• Locked thread