Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, I don't think people really understand how utterly lovely Bretonnia is.

On another note, someone sell me on a fun way of playing Empire. It's the only faction I've yet to enjoy a playthrough of. It feels like I'm supposed to attack my own Elector Counts to grow/get their land, but this of course is a huge rear end in a top hat move. If you don't attack your own Elector Counts, you get to......hang out in Reikland for half the game until Chaos/Greenskins/VC start invading your lands and you can start confederating everyone?

Should I be like.....setting up military access with Stirland and going to attack Sylvania early? Having Karl Franz wander south to fight the Orcs in the Badlands while the Empire does it's thing? Go North and fight the Norscans? I just don't like this faction.

My first full Empire campaign had me going first after Marienburg and then west into Bretonnia and Estalia. I essentially ignored the Elector Counts for the entire game.

Also yeah I'm mostly curious to see how CA plans to make Bretonnia and other GW-neglected factions unshitty (lookin' at you Chaos Dwarfs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, I don't think people really understand how utterly lovely Bretonnia is.

On another note, someone sell me on a fun way of playing Empire. It's the only faction I've yet to enjoy a playthrough of. It feels like I'm supposed to attack my own Elector Counts to grow/get their land, but this of course is a huge rear end in a top hat move. If you don't attack your own Elector Counts, you get to......hang out in Reikland for half the game until Chaos/Greenskins/VC start invading your lands and you can start confederating everyone?

Should I be like.....setting up military access with Stirland and going to attack Sylvania early? Having Karl Franz wander south to fight the Orcs in the Badlands while the Empire does it's thing? Go North and fight the Norscans? I just don't like this faction.

Doing the latter is a good way to build relations with select electors opening up the way for confederations. Basically pick one of the electors bordering you, build up relations to get you at least military access and go fight their enemies (preferably non-human I guess) which will gain you experience, some loots and a pretty substantial relations boost which should allow you to set them up for confederation. It's essentially doing your duty as Emperor and pretty fun. I confederated Wissenland in my most recent game by fighting Beastmen and Greenskin tribes with Karl Franz's army.

Also, take Marienburg. They are rich. And they are horrible bastards.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Randarkman posted:

It's a pretty good book actually. A lot of the 2nd edition WFRP books are, quite fun as well. Liked the kind of random character early modern Call of Cthulhu-thing they had going on in that game. And the Bretonnia book had this quote:

Pretty much all I know about the Warhammer Fantasy setting comes from the RPG books, which, given the quality of the writing in the average Army Book, was probably a good idea.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Yeah gently caress Marienburg. They're the OG secessionists.

Brettonia, like any group, is only as lovely a place as their last army book author felt love they should be. The game got more pointlessly grimdark as time went on, which has been to be kept in mind.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I've taken to ignoring the elector counts and treating that whole side of the map as an agent-based simulation of what-ifs. Ostland confederation Wissenland? Talabecland eliminating Sylvania and Border Princes? Why the hell not?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

ZearothK posted:

Pretty much all I know about the Warhammer Fantasy setting comes from the RPG books, which, given the quality of the writing in the average Army Book, was probably a good idea.

I'm still sad that there was no followup on the implications that there might be a revolution brewing in Bretonnia. :(

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

my dad posted:

I'm still sad that there was no followup on the implications that there might be a revolution brewing in Bretonnia. :(

The Status Quo was sacrosanct to GW, until they went full stupid and blew the setting up entirely. Lots of potential, horribly squandered.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

I'm glad I got in on this, seemingly the only non-frustrating WHFB thing ever made :shobon:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do i have to confederate a faction to get their legendary lords or can my grimgor recruit wurzarg by beating the snot out of him?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A lot of that stuff in the RPG books was meant to be plot-seeds for PCs to get involved in, just like the Glorious People's Revolution (Reformed) mentioned in Shades of Empire. I am actually running a WFRP campaign at the moment and I fully intend to have the players drop in Couronne right when the food riots start once they are done getting drunk in Karak Drak.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Rookersh posted:

The way to do Empire is to get as many of the Elector Counts to like you as possible, and confederate them all when you can. The only ones I reliably go to war with are Marienburg, for that early port seizure and massive economic boost, and then I usually confederate someone shortly after that. Wissenland or Middenland if you can manage it, Stirland or Talabecland if not. Fighting whoever you want is a big part of it - I've done Empire campaigns where I had early wars against the vampires (which did a lot to make Stirland like me and want to confederate), and ones where I sent Karl Franz down on crusade to the Badlands to bail out my Dwarf allies. I've even had ones helping out Bretonnia against a giant Mousillon, or even straight-up invading Bretonnia myself (although this was by far the least entertaining one I did). By the time the main Chaos invasion arrives you should have a large powerbase and by the time you defeat the invasion you should have confederated everyone.

Empire is my favourite campaign, the old friend I return to when the rest of the game isn't doing it for me.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The problem with Bretonnia is despite them being built up as the "honorable" faction for all of WHFB's history, the single time they were ever asked to uphold their honor and fulfill their pledge, they fled the field.

The loving VAMPIRE COUNTS did more for the Empire during the End Times then the loving Bretonnians. Vlad at least chose to turn his army inwards to defend Empire cities against Chaos.

Say what you will about how the End Times stuff was really bad ( it was ), and was largely poorly written ( it was ), but that fact still makes me very antiBretonnian. Most of the Bretonnian/Vlad stuff during the End Times was fairly in character for the End Times bit, they weren't as poorly represented as the High/Dark Elves, Chaos, Skarsnik, or Karl Franz/Empire. And yet despite that they ended up becoming the worst faction.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah but the Brettonians whole thing is that the honorable act is just that, an act.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah but the Brettonians whole thing is that the honorable act is just that, an act.

Exactly. And thats why they own, IMO.

Rygar201 posted:

It's better if you just pretend the End Times never happened.

Amen.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 24, 2016

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Rygar201 posted:

Fortunately CA is thinking along the same lines.

Also screw continuity!!!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Heading south and treating the Bretonnia / Tilea area as a big money pinata works pretty well. The problem with not expanding into other empire lands at all is that, if you're not there by the time Chaos shows up, it'll all get burned down.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mans posted:

I found a kinda decent Kislev reskin:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=741053231

I'd really like one for Estalia and Border Princes too. New units would be cool but just making their army avatars\skins not empire would be enough to make them a much more interesting faction to loot\raze.

Try The Southern Realms by Cataph.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Mans posted:

do i have to confederate a faction to get their legendary lords or can my grimgor recruit wurzarg by beating the snot out of him?

Confederate him. Be careful though, my confederated Skarsnik died forever the turn after I got him.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

madmac posted:

Side note, volley fire actually nerfs Ranger DPS became someone entered the value backwards, so watch out for that if you're going Ranger heavy.

Someone's made a mod that fixes that, i suggest everyone make use of it until CA fixes it themselves:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=785267679&searchtext=ranger

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are the Orc counter for bow guys/skirmisher (namely Rangers and Quarrelers) Boar Boyz/Big 'uns? I imagine with armor piercing and the shield, they'd be a great "No stop doing that right this instant" counter to a bunch of volleying assholes.

Should I keep the normal Boar Boyz for hunting enemy shooter groups, and Big 'Uns for armies which I expect to encounter cavalry?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
For rangers you're fine with even wolf riders, but Boar Boyz, especially the RoR, are great at disrupting Quarreler and Ranger formations. You can just keep going through a lot of them.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Are the Orc counter for bow guys/skirmisher (namely Rangers and Quarrelers) Boar Boyz/Big 'uns? I imagine with armor piercing and the shield, they'd be a great "No stop doing that right this instant" counter to a bunch of volleying assholes.

Should I keep the normal Boar Boyz for hunting enemy shooter groups, and Big 'Uns for armies which I expect to encounter cavalry?

You're not wrong, just keep in mind that Boars are also slow and poorly armored, so they're vulnerable to getting wrecked by archers before even making contact. They do work well, but a bit of finesse is usually required.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fair enough. What are the preferred counters to enemy ranged infantry as Greenskins, if available? I assume for ranged cav, I can just go tit for tat with Wolf Riders if they want to be dicks.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Wolf riders, spider riders, squig herds, nasty skulkaz, and now the hammer of gork.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ZearothK posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that. Essentially Bretonnian lords consider it inelegant to hire mercenaries to defend their lands, but on occasion, and specially on hilly territories prone to Greenskin warbands, they hire groups of heavily armed "shepherds" to take care of a singular sheep.

Someone on the thread once called Bretonnia a nation of polite fictions, and they were right on point.

That feels like it should be a special map type. "Defend the herd/sheep!" You lose/Pyrrhic Victory if the sheep unit is destroyed.

Somehow I can just imagine some rear end in a top hat Lord withholding pay because the sheep died.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The real counter to ranged infantry as greenskins is sufficient numbers of ablative goblins.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fangz posted:

The real counter to ranged infantry as greenskins is sufficient numbers of ablative goblins.

The answer to any problem you face as greenskins is always to bring more boyz.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Is it just me or has the Chaos invasion become incredibly weak since the last couple of updates? I had an Empire game where I never once had to fight Skaelings or Varg, and only fought Chaos a few times to wipe them out. Then as Bellegar, after I'm done whomping on the orks and the goblins, I check on the north and by turn 140 or something there's bugger all going on up there at Chaos are at like 25 in the strength ranking.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Deketh posted:

Is it just me or has the Chaos invasion become incredibly weak since the last couple of updates? I had an Empire game where I never once had to fight Skaelings or Varg, and only fought Chaos a few times to wipe them out. Then as Bellegar, after I'm done whomping on the orks and the goblins, I check on the north and by turn 140 or something there's bugger all going on up there at Chaos are at like 25 in the strength ranking.

The chaos invasion's ultimate strength is always going to be random, because it depends on how strong Kislev, Ostland, Ostermark, and the like are in standing up to it. Some games it's going to destroy the entire empire, some games it's going to get killed by Kislev. I actually think its general strength has gone up recently, since the addition of beastmen and the Brayherd of Chaos means that it has more armies to smash through Kislev with. My Skarsnik campaign had them destroy every empire province.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dandywalken posted:

Fair enough. What are the preferred counters to enemy ranged infantry as Greenskins, if available? I assume for ranged cav, I can just go tit for tat with Wolf Riders if they want to be dicks.

The Night Shrowd spell from Lore of the Little Waaaagh! can be pretty good too, as it dramatically reduces accuracy of units and may even make your army "invisible" as it approaches if the enemy is clumped together.

quote:

That feels like it should be a special map type. "Defend the herd/sheep!" You lose/Pyrrhic Victory if the sheep unit is destroyed.

Somehow I can just imagine some rear end in a top hat Lord withholding pay because the sheep died.

I remember the text mentioning that sometimes the shepherds end up eating the sheep. Actually, let me find it in the book.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

ZearothK posted:

I remember the text mentioning that sometimes the shepherds end up eating the sheep. Actually, let me find it in the book.

Also worth noting from the same book, the sheep are dumb as bricks and assuming their "shepherds" don't eat them they often just walk off cliffs.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I finally took Eight Peaks as the dwarf king and the game didn't recognize that I did, and I still had all the negative effects, so I quit

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/790538418770022400

Those factionwide bonuses will probably make Grombrindal the Dwarf Vlad if they are like what I am thinking.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
+15% to movement range of all characters faction wide is ridiculously good, it will let you catch the AI stacks without having to rely on ambush stance.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

+15% to movement range of all characters faction wide is ridiculously good.

Especially for Dwarfs, since the Badlands are fuckoff huge and are rough to travel.

These bonuses sound insane; I'd totally drop Thorgrim for the OG himself. I gotta sucker an American friend into getting a code from a GW store...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ZearothK posted:

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/790538418770022400

Those factionwide bonuses will probably make Grombrindal the Dwarf Vlad if they are like what I am thinking.

i'm particularly fond of the guy in the twitter comments for that, blaming brexit for him not being able to get a copy of white dwarf.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
Mukip we just played each other in multiplayer quick battle. It took me a minute to realize where I recognized your name from. You were chaos, I was the in-the-forest greenskins. You play chaos a lot better than I do.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Here's an album of Grombrindal's skills, items, and some battle pictures. The White Dwarf is loving nuts and doesn't care who knows it.

MAXIMUM OVERGRUDGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Holy poo poo those ancestor bonuses

• Locked thread