Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

There's a new Monster Hunter being announced on Thursday. Fingers crossed it's a Switch title!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

limaCAT posted:

Oh my God, Picross 3D Round 2? For 3DS???
2 dec in Italy... No, why Nintendo?????
I hope it wasn't because I trolled this thread!
:smith:
The first one is on the WiiU VC so I'm playing that.

Oh I bought the new Paper Mario but I haven't had the chance to play it yet.

I still have to finish #FE and a ton of other WiiU games too please help

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Tender Bender posted:

There's a new Monster Hunter being announced on Thursday. Fingers crossed it's a Switch title!

It's not. They specifically said that announcement wouldn't be about Switch or mobile games.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dunban posted:

It's not. They specifically said that announcement wouldn't be about Switch or mobile games.

It's gonna be about a Switch game, not the Switch itself.

Or possibly just a bunch of DLC for Monster Hunter Stories

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's gonna be about a Switch game, not the Switch itself.

Or possibly just a bunch of DLC for Monster Hunter Stories

Again, no. It won't be about Switch games or mobile games.

https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/790489676834414594

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

limaCAT posted:

Oh my God, Picross 3D Round 2? For 3DS???
2 dec in Italy... No, why Nintendo?????
I hope it wasn't because I trolled this thread!
:smith:

Shigeru Claus knows when you've been bad or good.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also, publishers probably won't be bringing the big expensive guns to Switch for at least the first year because they'd want to wait and see if it craters first.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I want to die

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tender Bender posted:

I want to die

no

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Tender Bender posted:

I want to die

Don't despair, friend. The Nintendo Switch will save gaming, and your life.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Pureauthor posted:

Also, publishers probably won't be bringing the big expensive guns to Switch for at least the first year because they'd want to wait and see if it craters first.

We're going to get rereleases from the PS4/XBO that everyone already has, and then when it's not selling they'll be like "Why are our games not selling?" and drop support

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

irlZaphod posted:

The first one is on the WiiU VC so I'm playing that.

Oh I bought the new Paper Mario but I haven't had the chance to play it yet.

I still have to finish #FE and a ton of other WiiU games too please help

I've heard it's basically Sticker Star 2, but significantly improved. I still don't know why Nintendo is so determined to avoid story stuff like the plague these days, even in a series that used to have real stories.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I've heard it's basically Sticker Star 2, but significantly improved. I still don't know why Nintendo is so determined to avoid story stuff like the plague these days, even in a series that used to have real stories.

Miyamoto isn't a fan of Mario having a story.

I think that dates back to the plot stuff for Rosalina in Galaxy essentially being snuck in behind his back.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It has plenty of story. It's more like a series of television episodes than movies, but every single level tells a story, and some chapters weave several of them together into an overarching story for that chapter.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that's paper mario yeah

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

greatn posted:

It has plenty of story. It's more like a series of television episodes than movies, but every single level tells a story, and some chapters weave several of them together into an overarching story for that chapter.

Yeah but there's no blatant exposition or dialog. Any story in Mario is one you make up for yourself from observing the world around Mario.

Basically I'm saying Mario was probably the inspiration for Dark Souls.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The storybook stuff in Mario Galaxy owned.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah but there's no blatant exposition or dialog. Any story in Mario is one you make up for yourself from observing the world around Mario.

Basically I'm saying Mario was probably the inspiration for Dark Souls.

They ripped the star collection mechanic at least

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Nintendo: the please don't get excited for our new system. Please.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Y'know, Polygon, I think we can pretty safely assume it won't do this
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/24/13379434/nintendo-switch-secret-projector

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TheKingofSprings posted:

Miyamoto isn't a fan of Mario having a story.

I think that dates back to the plot stuff for Rosalina in Galaxy essentially being snuck in behind his back.

Did Rosalina skyrocketing to becoming one of the more popular Mario characters not convince him that this might not be quite right?

Okay, how about just including unique characters in Paper Mario instead of just more nameless, identical Toads? They don't have to be really original, just a costume and a name would be a nice change. Hell, there are hundreds of old characters in the series that could be put in somewhere that don't get to do much. Daisy and Waluigi would kill to be in something other than a sports title or Mario Party.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Since the story stuff sounds like me talking out my rear end here's an interview to back it up: https://www.wired.com/2007/12/interview-super/amp/

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There are lots of named, identifiable NPCs in Color Splash, and plenty of non toad dialogue.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Geostomp posted:

Did Rosalina skyrocketing to becoming one of the more popular Mario characters not convince him that this might not be quite right?

Okay, how about just including unique characters in Paper Mario instead of just more nameless, identical Toads? They don't have to be really original, just a costume and a name would be a nice change. Hell, there are hundreds of old characters in the series that could be put in somewhere that don't get to do much. Daisy and Waluigi would kill to be in something other than a sports title or Mario Party.

People don't like Rosalina because of her storyline lol

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's because they want to have sex with an anime girl.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I mean Rosalina being Actually Possibly God is pretty cool and makes her more interesting than just another princess.

greatn posted:

Now tell us about why she's popular with the people that don't want to do that

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because secretly they want to do that

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

greatn posted:

:yikes:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Please can we talk about the frame rate of Zelda footage in a 3 minute video or literally anything other than Rosalina.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Explain why there are people who don't want to have sex with anime girl? That's inexplicable and you know it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Macaluso posted:

I kept asking myself why did her storyline .jpgs kept happening when i wanted to platform. I really need to go back go Galaxy 1 now that I know I can just avoid that poo poo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rosalina has a cool motorcycle

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Wheany posted:

I am very disappointed with the amount of funny Switch pictures itt. I'm sure the internet has produced more than what has been posted here. Please fetch me some "LOLs"

I was expecting way more docking jokes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because they haven't seen Frozen yet, so she's the only kinda tragic blonde with god-like powers in a blue dress that they can think of.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
nintendo's witch

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
also mario switch is gonna be an open world with no hub and rpg elements

take it to the bank

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Some things are simple, some things are not so simple. Steam and half-assed in-game support will gently caress up your custom bindings, XInput has killed the market for pads with more buttons/axes, unsigned driver restrictions also limit the feasibility of non-standard gamepad use. Steam Big Picture is cool except even games with good gamepad support will force you to use mouse/keyboard to gently caress with their launcher and text input, also adding custom links to non-steam games such as emulated games with per-game settings configuration is a drat hassle and impossible to do without m/kbd.

Wireless Internet/inputs is more of a general quality of life improvement compared to 2004, it's not any easier to set up.

I mean I do appreciate the improvements to 10' functionality in Windows but it never goes very deep, you'll never have much couch time before having to reach for your keyboard (with a deep sigh ofc)

i just plug a laptop in to my tv and have a cheap wireless keyboard + trackpad dude drat lol you make it sound like building an airplane from a kit

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Walrus posted:

also mario switch is gonna be an open world with no hub and rpg elements

take it to the bank

It's why Bethesda is featured prominently in the video and also why they've been so cagey about what they're bringing... it checks out, coming on launch.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm Rosalina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Please step on me.

• Locked thread