Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

so after playing endless legend, stellaris, and eu4 this month i can confirm that i do not like customizable units and i very much like eu4's Grand Strategy of "there are only three kinds of units and they upgrade instantly"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

oddium posted:

so after playing endless legend, stellaris, and eu4 this month i can confirm that i do not like customizable units and i very much like eu4's Grand Strategy of "there are only three kinds of units and they upgrade instantly"

:agreed:

Designing units in strategy games is neither cool nor good and more often than not just serves to muck up the intended difficulty of the game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:same:

Lots of classic space strategy games have deeply-customizable space ships with different base models and power supplies and laser intensities and missile ranges and thruster capacities, and it's very tedious, but if you don't get into it then you won't be able to use the latest gizmos you've been researching

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm pretty okay with Endless Legend's take on it since it's pretty minimal other than deciding on which strategic resources to use for what units and what roles/boosters to throw on which units/heroes. But as such I'd be totally fine with them streamlining it all down to just picking which bonuses you want to assign to units at the cost of the resources, instead of bothering with the templates at all.

The only time I feel like Ship design makes any sense is when you've got an interesting combat system to actually make use of it. Unfortunately the closest I think we've gotten to that is SotS which has a trainwreck of an interface. Not counting stuff like Starsector which is more like Mount&Blade in space. Stellaris it just doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me.

I think HOI4's system would make sense and be pretty fun if there was more reason to not just beeline for the same templates every time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I said come in! posted:

I bought Gears of War 4 this morning. The PC download is 73GB, biggest download i've ever done. :eyepop:

I feel like software bloat's getting a bit silly lately. The install time on Doom 4 was like an entire work day for me.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like software bloat's getting a bit silly lately. The install time on Doom 4 was like an entire work day for me.

Is there anyone on this forum that works in AAA game development enough to know whether things are going to increase or are these games the biggest we're likely to see at least for this console generation?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon looks incredibly cute

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

FanaticalMilk posted:

Is there anyone on this forum that works in AAA game development enough to know whether things are going to increase or are these games the biggest we're likely to see at least for this console generation?

According to Carmack's Law, AAA games double in size every 4 years

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

FanaticalMilk posted:

Size on disk for AAA games is only going to get bigger. How download transfer sizes go will depend on if consumers are vocal about it or not. Big companies will continue as is until it becomes compelling to change. For now, players are most vocal about high res textures and facial motion capture rigs and sprawling detailed open worlds so that's gonna be the focus, especially as optical media size limits and ssd capacities keep growing.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No Man's Sky is only two gigabytes!! :derp:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jay Rust posted:

No Man's Sky is only two gigabytes!! :derp:

Actually for most of the game's owners it isn't taking up any hard drive space at all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's not the size of the game that matters, it's what you do with it.

edit: unless it's 73 loving gigabytes, that is ridiculous

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Comcast just rolled out their 1 tb caps nationwide in the US and with so many major releases coming out so close to each other it's not so hard to imagine a lot of people hitting them just by buying a few games on top of their Netflix/streaming video usage.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

"James... after all this time...?"
"Always."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In the sun and moon demo there's a lady who's dating a Machamp. Things are starting to get too crazy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon looks incredibly cute

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Buca di Bepis posted:

Comcast just rolled out their 1 tb caps nationwide in the US and with so many major releases coming out so close to each other it's not so hard to imagine a lot of people hitting them just by buying a few games on top of their Netflix/streaming video usage.

I can't believe they were allowed to roll out data caps. I guess if you do data caps you don't have to update your infrastructure and can pressure people away from online media and back towards your cable networks.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

In Training posted:

In the sun and moon demo there's a lady who's dating a Machamp. Things are starting to get too crazy

Mach girls were already canon, now its showing up in the games

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dragon Quest Builders is like a gig and is bound to be the best game I played this month.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I realize they're not considered AAA games but I appreciate Nintendo actually taking the time to compress their poo poo

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

In Training posted:

Please respect the cultural practices of the Alola Islands!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So how stolen is my identity if my psn authentication text message came from the same number as my last steam password reset authentication code...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've tried several mystery dungeon games and always get frustrated that they're a little too "lite" rogue lites.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I got a phone call today indicating that I got the new job, and I bought Civilization 6 to celebrate. I am listening to Baba Yetu right now to get in the mood.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Snak posted:

So how stolen is my identity if my psn authentication text message came from the same number as my last steam password reset authentication code...

Security status: Proud owner of every FIFA DLC and microtransaction product available.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like I think it's probably just that they use the same code generating service, but it's still kind of sketchy.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

jack chick died, post your favorite tracts about gaming

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Moon god.jpg

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think you mean raptured. As in he was literally the only one to get raptured the rest of us are all hosed and get to watch Armageddon play out live.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
He's with his Moon God now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Junpei Hyde posted:

Moon god.jpg

Oh my god, is there a Bloodborne themed photoshop of this one? Because if not, I'm going to have to make one...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Junpei Hyde posted:

Moon god.jpg

...Goon mod?!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Quest For Glory II posted:

somewhere someone on the internet believes hillary clinton did him in and that owns

his website appears to be dying under the presumptive load of people downloading the tracts to repost right now :/

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I really liked Pokemon Mystery Dungeon but Gates to Infinity was a solid step backwards, is the new game good and fun?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

I really liked Pokemon Mystery Dungeon but Gates to Infinity was a solid step backwards, is the new game good and fun?

it is much better than gates, but still not as good as explorers of time

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

it is much better than gates, but still not as good as explorers of time

What I'm learning from your playthrough of PMD is that Pokémon trainers are literally breaking up families.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

folks, i tell ya, pokémarriage is a three ring circus... bickering, suffering, and ursaring, the hibernator pokemon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i'm glad the jogging doduo is a recurring character

also someone made a randomizer for the ds PMD. that sounds cool https://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?47337-mdrngzer-A-Pokemon-Mystery-Dungeon-Randomizer

• Locked thread