Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Lazrins Awsome isn't he . Never fails to get a laugh.
Don't be too harsh though he just doesn't understand, hand crafted procedurally generated planet development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

orcinus posted:

We interrupt this programme for a commercial break...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2127681933/skyfloat/description

gently caress that just get a goose neck mount

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Risks and challenges

We are aiming for a AAA game experience. But depending on the funding levels reached, we may have to limit the experience for the initially released game version. Nonetheless, Chris Roberts and his teams have shown consistently that they are able to develop epic story-based games. Even with our very limited self-funding we have been able to do already a lot of work which is why we can show you not just concept art and a cinematic trailer, but an extensive demo of actual game play. So, we are confident that even with limited means we will be able to deliver an amazing experience.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Risks and challenges

We are aiming for a AAA game experience. But depending on the funding levels reached, we may have to limit the experience for the initially released game version. Nonetheless, Chris Roberts and his teams have shown consistently that they are able to develop epic story-based games. Even with our very limited self-funding we have been able to do already a lot of work which is why we can show you not just concept art and a cinematic trailer, but an extensive demo of actual game play. So, we are confident that even with limited means we will be able to deliver an amazing experience.

nonsense, stop spreading FUD goonie

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Unfortunately, Elite Dangerous was actually released and Star Citizen is stuck in development hell with no end in sight.

Also Elite was released nearly 2 years ago, and had lots of people actually playing it during its beta phase. The beta was also pretty representative of the final product.

Can someone please alert these guys that the race to be developed was already won by Elite Dangerous? They need to go up against other games this year/next year.

Like Cod:IW and Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'd like to see some healthy Star Citizen's fighting the good fight against those two games. They are made by nasty publishers too, so I'm sure Star Citizen will have it in the bag, hands down. The vision of Chris Roberts is that of the Lord, procedurally hand crafting our planets, universe, and all the animals on them. Praise be. :colbert:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tippis posted:

I think he may have confused PG in multiplayer games with the kind you see in roguelikes. I mean, they're very similar so I can understand why even someone who's very into games would mistake one for the other…

Which is a great sign that he knows what he's talking about and PG planets should be out any day now.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5952vu/on_transparency_communication_and_expectations/

It's interesting to see citizens actively oppose these concepts, because "open development" apparently only means announcing future things CIG/RSI may or may not deliver, or (barring that) only announcing their triumphs.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

gently caress that just get a goose neck mount

But it's not endorsed by Jamie Lee and TAZ!
And it's not magnetic!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm the best player. Top score.

It's a $ a point.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

orcinus posted:

But it's not endorsed by Jamie Lee and TAZ!
And it's not magnetic!

It doesn't draw in metal but it does draw in attention.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Eldragon posted:

Fixed that for you. Development has only been ongoing for a year. If it was any longer CIG would actually have some content to show. It cannot possibly be the case that CIG hosed up and squandered time and money, so therefore the goalposts just keep needing to be moved. In 2020 CIG will be able to boast that they finished the game in just 4 2 years.

FTFY.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: Completely Discretionary

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

trucutru posted:

You dumb gently caress. Can you even imagine the amount of data that would be needed to stream a complete huge-rear end planet in Elite?

CIG is planning to use a hybrid approach where they use some procedural stuff to generate areas on the planet, and then add custom stuff on top of those that will have to be saved as a map file and stored in the clients hard drive.

Using the Outerra engine that got mentioned a while back as an example, it uses real world heightmap data (at 60m or 90m resolution) then uses fractal based algorithms to generate the finer details down to the centimetre scale. It's able to stream the heightmap data on an ad hoc basis as you fly around and once it has that it really is 'generating' the finer detail on the fly. But it's really procedural refinement rather than generation, if you aren't generating it from scratch you'd be crushed by data immediately - last I checked the 90m resolution dataset for planet earth came out at something like 13 GB. Multiply that by 100 star systems :lol: multiplied by however many planets per system.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

I'm posting that because this is what was sold as planetary landings, this is where they set the expectation, then Chris set the date at Citizencon (3.0 by the end of the year)

shittest page snype ever, also please someone pay my tax thankyouverymuch

lovely smipe gets you a catte with the shittiest day ever.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MeLKoR posted:

Which is a great sign that he knows what he's talking about and PG planets should be out any day now.

Hey wait. Now that I think about it…

That whole nonsense was very similar to what those German schmucks wrote in their magazine a while back. I think there might be a shared source between the two, not just connected by the recipients being completely unfamiliar with the topic

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Lets be fair, their process as they have described (probably a lie) is the following:

1) They create a planet with the desired basic characteristics: Size, type, distance from the sun, rotation speed etc.
2) Then an artist marks different regions of the planet. This area is an ocean, this area is a desert, this other area a forest and so on.
3) A procedural algorithm is used to fill those areas with the appropriate biome stuff and poo poo like that. Multiple seeds are used for each region until the artist finds the ones that look fine. Now, the seeds and the info on the areas they create can be stored in a very small amount of space and can be used to recreate this step at the client's PC. This is indeed procedural generation. Not complete zero-to-planet stuff but procedural generation nonetheless.
4) The artists add more fine-grained stuff to the different areas on the planet, plop buildings and crabs and poo poo. All this is then saved as a map file giga or terabytes in size and given to the client once. The client can then drop all this poo poo on top of what was generated on step 3.

From a production standpoint, could there be an argument for this sort of procedure? You have some sort of world generator which you let handle the terrain and such, then you have a team of artists go in and populate? I don't really understand why the hell you'd really need to have artists place biomes, but you could have them just start going through and saying "let's put a town here" "how about a dungeon there" "this mountain needs a bit more snow..." and so on. It seems to me that that sort of tech could be very valuable to companies that wanted to make games covering a large amount of terrain, but wanted to make sure they could populate the world so as not to let it seem empty.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Tane

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

When you link your post url in goonlulz in about a month its gonna get at least 5 empty quotes.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pilz posted:

From a production standpoint, could there be an argument for this sort of procedure? You have some sort of world generator which you let handle the terrain and such, then you have a team of artists go in and populate? I don't really understand why the hell you'd really need to have artists place biomes, but you could have them just start going through and saying "let's put a town here" "how about a dungeon there" "this mountain needs a bit more snow..." and so on. It seems to me that that sort of tech could be very valuable to companies that wanted to make games covering a large amount of terrain, but wanted to make sure they could populate the world so as not to let it seem empty.

The problem is, what town?

Even if an artist goes hey this valley would make a nice place for a town and plops it down. If you have the same town in a thousand other places then you may as well have let the computer do it for you.
If you have each town being "hand-crafted" then there is no way you are going to have 100 "playable" planets done before the actual CitCon-2496 .

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

My understanding is Procedural Generation is basically a buzz word. It's how you implement it that's important. I still laugh about the word persistence convincing people that something actually happened this year.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Lazrin posted:

that's not the definition of procedural generation. has nothing to do if it's on the fly or not.

You still missed the mark by a huuuuuge mile. For CIG, procedural generation is a tool used to create a blank planet, that they then modify to add landing pads etc. It comes to the client as just another asset, nothing gets "streamed" to the client.

Seriously, if you're going to shill, at least try staying with the same crap info CIG have released themselves.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

thatguy posted:

Occasionally quote said dumb poo poo

But I am doing an artist-enhanced procedural post by enhancing your post with artistry.

:shepface:

(Original - DO NOT STEAL!)

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Serious question: what is the difference between Squadron 42 and Star Marine? Which one is part of Star Citizen? What components are shared across these? Are they different games completely?

Like even in earnest there are so many unanswered questions about this project. The information coming out is not clear at all.

One is a movie you can't click thru fast enough, the other is part of a "game" which most likely will never come out, and if it does, will be a fraction of what was promised.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Serious question: what is the difference between Squadron 42 and Star Marine? Which one is part of Star Citizen? What components are shared across these? Are they different games completely?

Like even in earnest there are so many unanswered questions about this project. The information coming out is not clear at all.

If you're a backer:

Star Marine is the FPS portion of Star Citizen and Squadron 42. It represents a vertical slice of first person gameplay including combat, equipment, weapons, armor, and the associated mechanics like cover and movement. The "Star Marine" module itself is intended to be a form of standalone gameplay that acts as an independent element similar to Arena Commander. Players are supposed to play it and provide feedback, report bugs, and assist in maturing gameplay through a series of scenarios designed to replicate the kind of experiences players will encounter in the actual game (like boarding or combat in a player controllable station). The gameplay from Star Marine will then be directly applied to Squadron 42 and ultimately Star Citizen.

If you're CIG:

Star Marine is a throwaway tech demo designed to silence critics and open up backers to paying for FPS content like armor, weapons, and equipment.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Lazrin posted:

they are matter-of-factly using procedural tech to generate the planets... yes, the terrain... and stream it to the client as needed. just like elite, just like nms.

Thanks for confirming that Citizen's have no idea how game development works.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MilesK posted:

My understanding is Procedural Generation is basically a buzz word. It's how you implement it that's important. I still laugh about the word persistence convincing people that something actually happened this year.

Not just how, but why. There are tons of things you can make procedurally, but why would you other than as a technical exercise? .kkrieger is something like 98% procedural generation, but that doesn't mean it does anything better than Quake (other than being procgen:ed). It's a content creation process that solves a couple of specific problems, but if you don't have those problems, then it's a very dumb choice to use it no matter what implementation you pick.

The other fun thing is when it's being portrayed as something new and fancy, as if — as mentioned — roguelikes haven't been using it for, oh, closing in on forty loving years now (and of course, there's the 1984 Elite…). Hell, my standard SC-put-down example of UnrealEngine 1 had procedural generation in '98… of textures, granted, but procgen nevertheless. So yes, it's a buzz word, and even then, it's more one for the indie kickstarter crowd, rather than the wannabe-AAA dinosaurs.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Dementropy posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5952vu/on_transparency_communication_and_expectations/

It's interesting to see citizens actively oppose these concepts, because "open development" apparently only means announcing future things CIG/RSI may or may not deliver, or (barring that) only announcing their triumphs.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pilz posted:

Yes, it is about as sensible an approach as you can have for the kind and amount of planets they want to have and the level of detail they have promised. It is basically impossible to fill whole planets by hand and it would be insane amounts of work for poo poo rewards to create multiple algorithms for highly detailed planet creation from single seeds when you only have 400 planets or so.

Tools like these already exist in smaller scales and are used in some games to create forests and the like. Star citizen would need to create algorithms for large scale stuff (mountains, continental shorelines, and the like) but this is not cuting edge stuff.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 24, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
How can pledging be a risk if you are paying a company whos job it is to make games? It's like accepting good odds that your windows will be dirty after paying a window cleaner and you're all like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ah well, that's the risk you take!

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

good afernoon thread, I hope you are enjoying the flee fright week or whatever!!!

Call your moms and pops, pette your dags/cattes.

And keep givin money to this dumpster fire because it burns pretty colors.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I think Strict Commander is a goon

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: Please don't make Ben cry

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Tippis posted:

The other fun thing is when it's being portrayed as something new and fancy, as if — as mentioned — roguelikes haven't been using it for, oh, closing in on forty loving years now (and of course, there's the 1984 Elite…). Hell, my standard SC-put-down example of UnrealEngine 1 had procedural generation in '98… of textures, granted, but procgen nevertheless. So yes, it's a buzz word, and even then, it's more one for the indie kickstarter crowd, rather than the wannabe-AAA dinosaurs.

Someone here put it better than me, but you can look back over SC's "development" history and see what games were coming out at that point in time.

Like in the last 12 months the development story has gone from "oh yeah, we got a full procedural generation system going on that will generate the terrain on the fly" when NMS's procedural generation was all the buzz, then now post NMS release when everyone's being critical of it's procedural generation, it's all about hand crafted levels and procedural generation just being a tool to speed that process up (which was probably closer to the actual truth the whole time, but whatever)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

UnrealEngine 1 had procedural generation in '98… of textures, granted, but procgen nevertheless. So yes, it's a buzz word, and even then, it's more one for the indie kickstarter crowd, rather than the wannabe-AAA dinosaurs.

Procedural textures go back a few more years; polyray could handle animated and keyframed procedurals that still managed to look like rear end. In fact, one of those procedures, perlin noise, is what you'll see being used to produce heightmaps;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perlin_noise

it was around this time that I came into contact with cubic spline interpolation and was never quite the same.

trucutru posted:

Tools like these already exist in smaller scales and are used in some games to create forests and the like. Star citizen would need to create algorithms for large scale stuff (mountains, continental shorelines, and the like) but this is not cuting edge stuff.

The fun thing is that Dwarf Fortress has an entire procedural generation set along with decay and aging to provide you with little more than an ascii choice of starting location. It's insane and impressive all at the same time.

Edit: http://aigamedev.com/open/teaser/living-worlds-dwarf-fortress/ - This is a decent read.

Edit2: Better read - http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/23/5926447/dwarf-fortress-will-crush-your-cpu-because-creating-history-is-hard

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 24, 2016

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Rudager posted:

Someone here put it better than me, but you can look back over SC's "development" history and see what games were coming out at that point in time.

Like in the last 12 months the development story has gone from "oh yeah, we got a full procedural generation system going on that will generate the terrain on the fly" when NMS's procedural generation was all the buzz, then now post NMS release when everyone's being critical of it's procedural generation, it's all about hand crafted levels and procedural generation just being a tool to speed that process up (which was probably closer to the actual truth the whole time, but whatever)

The kickstarter pitch video promised SC would be as good or better than all other space games out there. It's proved to be one of the harder goals to stay on top of.

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks

MeLKoR posted:

I think Strict Commander is a goon

:ninja: well someone has to defend the game against those ungrateful content locusts

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

Here is a transcript showing Sean Tracy and Forrest Stephan bumbling and LYING their way through a question about procedural generation:

We've since been shown that planets are NOT generated from a seed, that there is NO procedural generation happening on the fly, and Chris Roberts himself is now on the record saying they use "artist driven procedural tools"

So the question comes up in May, and Sean Tracy and Forrest Stephan categorically lied in the answer. Pay close attention to Forrest Stephan, he hasn't got a loving clue, NOT ONE CLUE what he's talking about. Mumbling about seeds and multiple seeds, and when they kick in.

Of course the reason they talked up the procedural generation is because of the NMS hype.

There is NO procedural generation, it's a big loving Cry level, and it isn't anywhere near the client nor imo is it ever likely to be. It's just another tool to raise money, like Ben.

I know this was 5 pages back, but after reading this I have to ask, did these guys actually work on a video game before joining CIG or are they robert bowling/ben lesnick equivalent devs.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Propagandist posted:

good afernoon thread, I hope you are enjoying the flee fright week or whatever!!!

I will be streaming my honest attempt to play the free week later today.

Based on my initial checks to get things running, it is NOT going to go well

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hav posted:

Procedural textures go back a few more years; polyray could handle animated and keyframed procedurals that still managed to look like rear end. In fact, one of those procedures, perlin noise, is what you'll see being used to produce heightmaps;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perlin_noise

it was around this time that I came into contact with cubic spline interpolation and was never quite the same.
Doesn't surprise me. It's more that I like to use UE1 because it did so many things so early, and people have just… I don't know… forgotten, or something. And suddenly, everything old is new again.

But sooner or later, my repeatedly saying “oh yeah, Unreal did that in '98” will push some poor faithful over the edge, and it will be glorious. :D

• Locked thread