Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Rick posted:

Except he never actually really got a shot to play minutes and develop. He's been the third or fourth SG on a team that didn't even really play shooting guards under Hornacek, and the second he got a chance under Earl, he had a much younger player emerge and take his spot (deservedly so, but it really stopped the whole development train in him). He basically had like a two week stretch where someone said "all right kid go out there and learn and it's OK if you make some mistakes."

He's played in 150 games and played over 2000 NBA minutes. Even if 100% of that is short bursts of garbage time that's a lot more time than most picks who don't pan out do get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

humpthewind posted:

It does and I agree. Metta is a known quantity who could be made a special assistant or something if they want to keep him around for training purposes or whatever.

Players I would have on the roster before Metta that were released lately:

Alonzo Gee
Archie Goodwin
Cleanthony Early
Mitch McGary

Yeah I can't argue with that list.

I guess the argument is that they like being able to throw Metta in a game every month or so to show the kids that you can be old and slow and still be effective on defense just by beating the poo poo out of your opponents, which, I can respect.

Libertine posted:

He's played in 150 games and played over 2000 NBA minutes. Even if 100% of that is short bursts of garbage time that's a lot more time than most picks who don't pan out do get.

Oh, how many minutes do picks who don't pan out typically get?

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 24, 2016

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Pistons claimed Beno Udrih off waivers from Miami and here's Aron Baynes'-branded concessions
https://twitter.com/DetroitPistons/status/790641967839514624

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Also the fear that Walton releases Metta and Metta lives in the same city and one day enacts vengeance just by beating the poo poo out of his new enemy, which, I can also respect.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Rick posted:

Oh, how many minutes do picks who don't pan out typically get?

He's played considerably more minutes and games than Bennett who's from the same draft class.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

People exaggerate how much parity there is but it's far from a myth.

Where are you seeing parity?

Lessail posted:

Since y'all get to dumb it down massively, to root for any team other than gsw to win it all is to root for injuries

That's the NBA you're defending

The NBA playoffs are more predictable than the NFL/MLB/NHL/MLS playoffs.

But the Warriors could win 76 games and still lose a title due to the nature of 7 game series and the ability of the league to suspend players and dictate referee strategies and tactics.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Parity sounds slightly believable up through the start of the first round. Then the second round starts and things return to normal

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
LeBron can't play for every team so there's no way to enact parity. Look, GSW had to add Durant to have a shot!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Pacers signed Ben Bentil today....

And then waived him 5 hours later. I hope the dude got some pay or benefits out of it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Eltoasto posted:

And then waived him 5 hours later. I hope the dude got some pay or benefits out of it.

Usually these guys get a small amount of guaranteed money (like 5 digits) and the team gets their d-league rights

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zogo posted:

Where are you seeing parity?
The Panthers went 15-1 and swept through the NFC but now have the 2nd worst record in the league, and the NFC itself hasn't had a lot of continuity as far as the front runners. The best odds any team got before the season was 8:1. The best odds for any NHL team this year were 9:1. Going into last year's playoffs, the best odds any team got were 7:1. The best teams in MLB flip frequently and the playoffs are always a total crapshoot. The best odds any team got before the season were 10:1.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

euphronius posted:

I love Tony Wroten.

tony "wreckin ball" wroten

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I'm way behind but this fucker putting CURRY in caps as though warmups will ever be fun to watch is freaking ridiculous. The only good warmup thing ever was LeBron making progressively further underhand shots

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The Warriors literally added one player. This isn't about them going out and spending a billion dollars buying out the league talent. They literally just hit the lottery at the right time with Durant becoming a free agent right when the cap jumped. I can see why you have issues with it, hell I'm on the side that it's a bitchmade move, but saying that the NBA should do something about it is a mix of laughable and impossible. It wasn't an unfair trade and GS did nothing sketchy. As long as there exist single players in basketball that affect the game in such dramatic ways (your durants, lebrons, currys, etc.) poo poo like this is gonna happen once in a while.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Eltoasto posted:

Don't teams do this to claim D-League rights?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

wow hosed up world

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The Panthers went 15-1 and swept through the NFC but now have the 2nd worst record in the league, and the NFC itself hasn't had a lot of continuity as far as the front runners. The best odds any team got before the season was 8:1. The best odds for any NHL team this year were 9:1. Going into last year's playoffs, the best odds any team got were 7:1. The best teams in MLB flip frequently and the playoffs are always a total crapshoot. The best odds any team got before the season were 10:1.

yeah but those sports SUCK basketball rules NBA forever

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Stevie Lee posted:

tony "wreckin ball" wroten

"that's all she" or "angela lansbury stars in: murder she"

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

attackmole posted:

The Warriors literally added one player. This isn't about them going out and spending a billion dollars buying out the league talent. They literally just hit the lottery at the right time with Durant becoming a free agent right when the cap jumped. I can see why you have issues with it, hell I'm on the side that it's a bitchmade move, but saying that the NBA should do something about it is a mix of laughable and impossible. It wasn't an unfair trade and GS did nothing sketchy. As long as there exist single players in basketball that affect the game in such dramatic ways (your durants, lebrons, currys, etc.) poo poo like this is gonna happen once in a while.

the dubs will not win the chip this season, I will gladly :toxx: myself

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Shaq is gonna die of a heart attack and no lockouts until the mid-2020s.

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/790569045837787136

I'm picturing every time Shaq eats a donut, he slams it, makes it rattle and submit. Just spitballin here.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

when I go to Krispy Kreme I like to start off by givin my pancreas a little suplex, maybe a flying elbow. you know, put em in their place

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

attackmole posted:

The Warriors literally added one player.

They also signed zaza who was a fringe all star center last year (fell apart during 2nd half though) and David West. Their only significant loss was bogut who can never be counted on to be healthy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm perfectly fine with the league revoking Durant's signing if we wipe of Lebron's Heat wins

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

humpthewind posted:

It does and I agree. Metta is a known quantity who could be made a special assistant or something if they want to keep him around for training purposes or whatever.

Alonzo Gee
Archie Goodwin
Cleanthony Early
Mitch McGary

McGary just needs to work for a concrete contractor for about a year, learn what real work is all about.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
The Bulls are the only team in the league with a 14 man roster. There's a non-zero chance the team forgets to sign anyone to their D-League squad

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Emanuel Collective posted:

The Bulls are the only team in the league with a 14 man roster. There's a non-zero chance the team forgets to sign anyone to their D-League squad

It's not crazy for teams to go into the season with a 14 man roster so they can have more trade flexibility

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Who's making the new thread tomorrow?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

personally, I think that the 2010s having not one, but two all-time great superteams is cool and good. this decade will be remembered as the best one, I think

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There are arguments for having a fourteen man roster but with all the potential injuries on the Bulls they seem like a bad roster to try it out on.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Papes posted:

zaza who was a fringe all star center last year

Yo what

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

dokmo posted:

Yo what

http://www.nba-allstar.com/ballot/

Zaza had the highest vote total in the league of any player who didn't go. Higher than 15 of the all-stars who did go.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Jesus loving Christ

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I don't get it. Is Zaza secretly Chinese or something?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

tanglewood1420 posted:

I don't get it. Is Zaza secretly Chinese or something?

He is the one thing that unifies the Caucasus.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

humpthewind posted:

Alonzo Gee
Archie Goodwin
Cleanthony Early
Mitch McGary

Having Metta on your roster is wise when you play the Warriors 4 times. I'd bet Draymond's involuntary leg kicks mysteriously go away for all of those games.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Zaza got as many votes as Cousins and Anthony Davis put together.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

he was a screen settin son of a bitch alright.

PremiumBlend
Jun 12, 2002

We did it little buddy...

Libertine posted:

http://www.nba-allstar.com/ballot/

Zaza had the highest vote total in the league of any player who didn't go. Higher than 15 of the all-stars who did go.

The nation of Georgia really got out the vote for Zaza, as did a Vine "star." This is literally why he got so many votes.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/1/21/10811442/zaza-pachulia-2016-nba-all-star-voting-nash-grier-KOBE-ROBBED-HIM

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

dokmo posted:

Jesus loving Christ

There was an internet campaign iirc.

edit: efb should have scrolled down before posting.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

ChickenMedium posted:

Having Metta on your roster is wise when you play the Warriors 4 times. I'd bet Draymond's involuntary leg kicks mysteriously go away for all of those games.

The warriors and Lakers do play 3 times early on the year...:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess zaza is closer to being an all star than most people. True.

• Locked thread