Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
DPS that needs to get in there pair well with Zarya. Genji, Reaper and Tracer are good options to put your barrier on when they dive in to kill someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
^^^^^ Winston is really good with a Zarya who's on the ball with the barriers.

I think the biggest issue I've seen these past few days (I solo queued comp for a bit because I'm a masochist) is people not switching heroes.

Ran into a Pharah/Winston combo on 66 defence that was destroying us, and my team was running Genji/Tracer the whole time. When I suggested one of them switch to Reaper to deal with the monkey, they just said "but Reaper is a flanker". Had the same thing happen in that Genji massacre match I mentioned: Genji/Pharah kept wrecking us and noone was picking a hitscan character or Winston.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Thor-Stryker posted:

You need good dps players for Zarya though. You can't carry the team if the enemy has six living players all focusing you because your dps is Hanjo+Widowmaker.

You need someone to go out in front of you. Sometimes you get a team that all huddles behind you like you're Reinhardt, and the only shield you put out is on Lucio who's skating all over the place.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If anyone really is interested in matchups, ranking, etc., there is a tryhard thread that talks about that in detail fairly often - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777487

I'm by no means an amazing Overwatch player and I don't play a ton of comp, but I have been leaning towards Zenyatta in comp. His discord and his left-click are really powerful, his ult is great, his heals are fine... but most importantly, you can say something like "hey another healer would be cool" without pissing people off.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I bought five loot boxes and got a Halloween skin!

It was Hanzo's. :saddowns:

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Efexeye posted:

no, i fully admit that im terrible. but when you're in the 1500s and every game involves a useless slampicking genji or hanzo or widow or offensive torb, it makes it harder- i shouldn't be getting gold elims as lucio 4/5 games as I am now

i also disagree about ignoring the team. team comp is more important than individual skill, in poo poo tier, anyway
At the beginning of this season, I threw my placement matches by playing with Bacontotem (~i hanjo~) and was at 1500 SR. I pulled myself (through boredom mostly) up to 2300 with a group of people and further up to 2700 by myself.

One player can make the difference.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Internet Explorer posted:

If anyone really is interested in matchups, ranking, etc., there is a tryhard thread that talks about that in detail fairly often - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777487

I'm by no means an amazing Overwatch player and I don't play a ton of comp, but I have been leaning towards Zenyatta in comp. His discord and his left-click are really powerful, his ult is great, his heals are fine... but most importantly, you can say something like "hey another healer would be cool" without pissing people off.

Zenyatta is probably my third most played Comp pick. My approach to competitive is, "Welp, I'm solo queuing anyhow. I have to pick a character that covers for my teammates". I'll often find people will slam pick offense/defense/tank and then.... not damage things, and Zen is a really good character for actually killing the bad guys while also being a healer. I do a lot of Roadhog lately because I hate Reinhardt and the hog sort of shits all over that Hun bastard. Are Zen and Roadhog (and D.Va, my generic "Well, I should probably just murder everyone" pick) my favorite characters? Or my best characters? Probably not. But I do better when I pick them because they cover an immediately needed niche.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Hey all, is there a separate thread where Xbox One users coordinate playing together? I've added my name to the spreadsheet, but was curious if there was a separate thread or Discord server for Xbox One goons. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've made it up to level 60 solo queuing and It is getting very, very old.

e: fixed some grammer

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

intangible posted:

Hey all, is there a separate thread where Xbox One users coordinate playing together? I've added my name to the spreadsheet, but was curious if there was a separate thread or Discord server for Xbox One goons. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've made it up to level 60 solo queuing and It is getting very, very old.

I don't think anybody uses any of that stuff on console, I haven't seen others on in a while. My GT is "Hackan Slash" if you want to add me for some occasional games.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

Hackan Slash posted:

I don't think anybody uses any of that stuff on console, I haven't seen others on in a while. My GT is "Hackan Slash" if you want to add me for some occasional games.

ok, I will definitely add you. Thanks for the response. My GT is OldNorthBridge. If there are any other Xbox One goons that want to add me for some hot group action, please do.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

terrified of my bathroom posted:

The best heroes to carry your team right now are probably Mcree, Reaper, Zarya and Ana. A Mcree that can click heads is probably the best dps in the game, Reaper brings a huge amount to your team with his teamfight ult, flanking ability and tankbusting damage, Zarya can pump out enormous damage for a tank while saving your idiot team and has a very strong ult, and Ana is incredibly versatile and has a huge amount of tools for any situation

I can see that on the PC, although I find Ana pretty rough on the PS4. I don't know why, but her projectiles seem slower on top of aiming being more of a challenge and it feels like a lot of work for roughly the same elims I get with Mercy with half or less the healing. Ana'a a lot of fun on PC for me so I could see her carrying there.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

intangible posted:

there is no separate console thread. every thread is for every platform, tho obviously pc is gonna dominate the conversation in the blizzard subforum

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend
Give symmetra a quake-style jump pad that she can place down, make her mouse 2 channel a speed boost for her and whoever is targeted (for a few seconds on a 10/15 sec cd).

What I'm saying I want her to be a mobility support. Getting people places they need to be at and out of places they really don't want to be in.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Efexeye posted:

no solo queue is awful

you cannot carry a team in this game, 1 player who isn't trying or loving around might as well be everyone on your team losing their left mouse button

I bet I could solo queue on your account to 2500+ by the end of the week.
Conversely, you could solo queue on my diamond account and be less than 2500 by the end of the week.

Any interest in experimenting? If you are on PC

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yes, actually, that'd be interesting, but im not sure im willing to risk my blizz account to try it

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blinky2099 already did that in the Tryhard thread with someone else's account.

vvvv nice vvvv

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I will literally paypal you $40 dollars, and you can mail the e-bucks back after if you don't feel comfortable. I have references as well from the retro games thread as well as pinball thread. I collect pinball machines as a casual hobby, so I'm not too interested in stealing your rank 1500 overwatch account, but I understand why you'd be wary of a stranger on the internet. If I gave a poo poo about my $40 account, I'd be wary too.

I'm the person that provided Blinky with an account to go from SR 496 to diamond as symmetra.

Internet Explorer posted:

Blinky2099 already did that in the Tryhard thread with someone else's account.

vvvv nice vvvv

Yeah this is pretty much the same thing, only it would be first hand verification for him.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 24, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Oh, poo poo, well, now I trust you but if it's already been done what's the point?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The idea you can't solo carry in this game is laughable

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kashuno posted:

a lot of games yes but this isnt a game where you solo it all everytime no matter what

unless you play Roadhog :getin:

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Efexeye posted:

Oh, poo poo, well, now I trust you but if it's already been done what's the point?

Confirmation for you, and fun for me. But if you trust us now, then it's no big deal. The main thing was just to clearly illustrate it to you, and open your eyes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kashuno posted:

You can solo carry in any team game given a large enough skill gap, but at the same time skill will make more or less of a difference in some games than it would in others, based on the amount of randomness, team size, and the existence of "leveling" effects -- things that give you a great deal of control over the match without requiring difficult execution, i.e. most ultimates.

"You can't solo carry in Overwatch" is obviously incorrect, but someone who could solo carry in, I dunno, Counter-Strike or TF2 or something might be much less effective at carrying in Overwatch even with a similar time investment, MMR, and aptitude.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
99% of the time someone solo carries in OW is when the opposing team proceeds to do dick all to combat that one person

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

verbal enema posted:

99% of the time someone solo carries in OW is when the opposing team proceeds to do dick all to combat that one person

That is probably true, but even down where I am in gold, if I get unlucky and drop one or two hundred SR, then it's almost like I can't lose. I go from having hard fought games where I'm doing everything in my power to keep my team alive and we can lose off one missed earthshatter, to being immortal and hammering everyone to death.

The secret to carrying your team is that if you are for some reason placed in a game where you are significantly better, then you don't have to do anything special to have an absurd and game warping effect.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Hackan Slash posted:

You should play this on ps4 with me sometime you jerk.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i am now double prestige

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So, I got into comp with some goons. Won one, lost one.

Got Witch Mercy and proceeded to pull this off:

We won the last one. :boom:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Bumper Stickup posted:

You should play this on ps4 with me sometime you jerk.

Play with me on the ps4 you jerk

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I got matched with two five-stacks. First match I win handily and get POTG. Second match it puts me on the other five-stack's team. I win handily and get POTG.

I would have loved to see what both stacks were thinking :grin:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Some people playing games on the online are very rude actually

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

I got matched with two five-stacks. First match I win handily and get POTG. Second match it puts me on the other five-stack's team. I win handily and get POTG.

I would have loved to see what both stacks were thinking :grin:

Uh they know that they carried you.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Duck and Cover posted:

Uh they know that they carried you.

They were playing against each other in both matches

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

It's simple you were the odd man out thus you were the one being carried.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I know it's a common opinion to say that POTG should be less heavily weighted toward ults, but I don't get why it isn't inversely weighted, as in it should be skewed toward plays that don't involve ults at all? I always think it's way cooler to watch some dude do some skillful maneuvering and popping heads than just looking at the enemy and pressing Q.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Brannock posted:

you just happened to be better than their pub is all

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tender Bender posted:

I know it's a common opinion to say that POTG should be less heavily weighted toward ults, but I don't get why it isn't inversely weighted, as in it should be skewed toward plays that don't involve ults at all? I always think it's way cooler to watch some dude do some skillful maneuvering and popping heads than just looking at the enemy and pressing Q.

This is a good way to get many Reaper/McCree POTGs where they blow away one unaware player then finish off two more low-health players

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The funniest PotG I've ever seen (even though I'm just a babby) was a Pharah that killed four people on Lijiang Tower Garden with a single Concussive Blast.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I really feel like you get way too much bonus time for capturing the first point on any given map. King's Row gives you 2:30, Hanamura gives you five minutes...

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Brannock posted:

I really feel like you get way too much bonus time for capturing the first point on any given map. King's Row gives you 2:30, Hanamura gives you five minutes...

On one hand, 5 minutes to bash your face into Hanamura B could be seen as reasonable.

On the other hand, gently caress HANAMURA and gently caress every minute spent playing on horribly designed 2CP maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Unoriginal Name posted:

On one hand, 5 minutes to bash your face into Hanamura B could be seen as reasonable.

On the other hand, gently caress HANAMURA and gently caress every minute spent playing on horribly designed 2CP maps.

Of the three Assault maps Hanamura is probably the easiest to conquer