Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

folks, i tell ya, pokémarriage is a three ring circus... bickering, suffering, and ursaring, the hibernator pokemon

i didnt screenshot it but there's an ursaring who tells his kid not to evolve too quick because it's hard being an adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

i feel like gamers are too cynical

thumbs up if u agree

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ostentatious posted:

thumbs up if u agree

It's because they don't own any nintendos

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Ostentatious posted:

thumbs up if u agree

I think a lot of it has to do with the "gamers" that we see on a daily basis are ones that have poured a significant amount of their lives into this hobby. When I was a kid and I got Super Mario All-Stars with my SNES my first thought was, "Awesome, I get four mario games in one", not, "Aw man, they hosed up the sprites and physics". I also think people in general just get more cynical as they age.

On a less bummer note, I just replayed through Bioshock in the Remastered version for PC, and that game is still pretty fun. I 100%ed the game this time, and between having a poo poo ton of Adam, and the research camera, this game was a lot easier the second time around.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like the nes mario 3 aesthetic better idk.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ostentatious posted:

thumbs up if u agree

Counterpoint: however many millions of copies No Man's Sky sold

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think a lot of it has to do with the "gamers" that we see on a daily basis are ones that have poured a significant amount of their lives into this hobby. When I was a kid and I got Super Mario All-Stars with my SNES my first thought was, "Awesome, I get four mario games in one", not, "Aw man, they hosed up the sprites and physics". I also think people in general just get more cynical as they age.

On a less bummer note, I just replayed through Bioshock in the Remastered version for PC, and that game is still pretty fun. I 100%ed the game this time, and between having a poo poo ton of Adam, and the research camera, this game was a lot easier the second time around.

They did kinda gently caress up the physics though, although at the time I didn't realize because All Stars was the first time I played SMB1 - 3

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

Counterpoint: however many millions of copies No Man's Sky sold

Dreams are still alive.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

In Training posted:

They did kinda gently caress up the physics though, although at the time I didn't realize because All Stars was the first time I played SMB1 - 3

That's the point I was trying to make. Looking back on it, it's an objective fact that the physics are messed up, but at the time I was just playing Mario on my own console for the very first time, and that brought me unbridled joy. Nowadays, it's hard for me to look at a game without instinctively breaking it's components down in my head, rather than just accepting the game as it is and basing my opinion on affect. Obviously it's impossible for me to go back to a time before I had expectations and deep knowledge of video gaming as a whole. But that doesn't stop me from wishing I could play certain games without preconceived notions going into it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That has nothing to do with other people, though. Regardless of that though, it's not really cynicism unless you are cynical. Otherwise it's just being analytic.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Excuse me pardon me

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/780144468561432576

This exists

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

those sega twitter guys struck gold again

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
You're too slow, believe me

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gingrich the newt

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm the fastest, the absolute fastest. You can ask anybody, they'll tell you how fastly I run. Shadow doesn't think I'm the fastest but I completely disagree with that. Call up Knuckles, he knows.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

YOUR tax reduction is TOO SLOW

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Well we already know who is playing which character. Have they said what stage and if items will be on?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CJacobs posted:

That has nothing to do with other people, though. Regardless of that though, it's not really cynicism unless you are cynical. Otherwise it's just being analytic.

Yeah, don't let the Internet fool you, being critical is not the same as being cynical. Even my favorite works have elements I dislike or have to struggle with in relation to the whole, but being aware of that doesn't change the fact that I enjoy it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For All Stars in particular, it's also important to remember the context. When All Stars came out, it was an awesome package. Today, if you have the equivalent console, the Wii U, you don't need to repackage a new Mario release because you play emulations of the originals for a few bucks each. So there's really no reason to play All Stars anymore, unless you really like how freaky SMB1 1-2 looks like with the graphical overhaul

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

For All Stars in particular, it's also important to remember the context. When All Stars came out, it was an awesome package. Today, if you have the equivalent console, the Wii U, you don't need to repackage a new Mario release because you play emulations of the originals for a few bucks each. So there's really no reason to play All Stars anymore, unless you really like how freaky SMB1 1-2 looks like with the graphical overhaul

or you can buy the mario all stars wii release, and......

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

corn in the bible posted:

or you can buy the mario all stars wii release, and......

Buy the Kirby collection instead.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The first time I played Mario 3 was through All Stars so when I finally played it on the NES I hated it because it didn't look that good.

Also I didn't know it was remade for the SNES. I just thought SMB3 looked that good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

im glad newt found a game he likes

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The new Division patch comes out tomorrow. Has anyone messed with it yet on the test server?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

im glad newt found a game he likes

He was really into Moonbase Alpha, but he got mad that nobody took it seriously and they kept spamming the drat text to voice

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

Yeah, don't let the Internet fool you, being critical is not the same as being cynical. Even my favorite works have elements I dislike or have to struggle with in relation to the whole, but being aware of that doesn't change the fact that I enjoy it

It's okay to like and, heck, even love things and still laugh at the parts of them that are broken or even downright bad, I think.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

some of it is that all criticism for video games has to be delivered in the "hilarious" style in which minor grievances are described as horrifying garbage fires, coupled with people's general tendency to want a thing to either be All Good or All Bad.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I played Dirt Rally a lot this year and the last, and I loved every minute of it, and I still think it's dumb that they put the most difficult part at the middle.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

shin godzilla is a good movie

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

some of it is that all criticism for video games has to be delivered in the "hilarious" style in which minor grievances are described as horrifying garbage fires, coupled with people's general tendency to want a thing to either be All Good or All Bad.

This is true outside of video games as well, but yeah.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

shin godzilla is a good movie

Shin Godzilla rules so much. Also lmao at the use of Eva music in the movie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

This is true outside of video games as well

yeah, true, but i think video games being reviewed mostly after the era in which the Angry Reviewman became a thing makes it more the de facto thing than with like film or literature.

it can be funny for genuinely bad video games (this one made me laugh: http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/12/12167508/ghostbusters-2016-video-game-review-xbox-one-ps4-pc), but the whole "Fallout 4 is literal garbage and the sub-humans at Bethesda should be tossed into a magma pit" thing gets really tiresome

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bicyclops posted:

Thankfully print reviews are still respectable and serious and sometimes even well written!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Well it's either that or you have to deal with the foulest of basement dwellers harassing you because you didn't hate a popular game enough. Again going to back to No Man's Sky journalists got death threats for writing bad previews of the game, and on most of the internet bitching about how game reviewers are all incompetent paid-off shills because their scores are too high is still the cutting edge of wit.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

despite checking my specs before buying, civ 6 keeps saying my graphics card is incompatible. trying on my laptop.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I turn to stone if I read or hear a video game journalist speak but it has proven to be a blessing

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

I'm sorry to break y'alls circlejerk but fox and hedgehog are actual jargon for certain types of political people/pundits. It's from that Nate Silver guy's book from 6-ish years ago. It's the reason his blog site, fiveturdyeight, has a fox as its logo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hedgehog_and_the_Fox#Influence ctrl+f "nate silver"

so it's actually not game-related, sadly

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Love Stole the Day posted:

I'm sorry to break y'alls circlejerk but fox and hedgehog are actual jargon for certain types of political people/pundits. It's from that Nate Silver guy's book from 6-ish years ago. It's the reason his blog site, fiveturdyeight, has a fox as its logo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hedgehog_and_the_Fox#Influence ctrl+f "nate silver"

newt wants to build a moonbase, just like dr robotnik

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

literally everyone knew this already, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

in my fanfics, newt is a bear

• Locked thread