Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Mr. Robot is great. The plot kinda becomes predictable and boring towards the end, but it's a beautifully shot show with a bunch of decent acting performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
We just finished binge watching The Americans on Prime and loved it. It's not on the level of The Wire Or Mad Men, but it is really solid. Only the first 3 seasons are up. You can imagine our disappointment after finishing the season 3 finale, and realizing we couldn't watch the next episode without buying it. I think season 4 will show up around March on Prime.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Check out Justified if you haven't. Vikings isn't as good as some of the other stuff mentioned, but it's solid enough to help carry you through your time on a treadmill or whatever.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Things I've watched that are on Prime but not Netflix:
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Vvitch
Dr. Who, season 9 (gently caress off Peter Capaldi)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

fliptophead posted:

I'm at home sick and have been getting through Red oaks and mad dogs which are both pretty good. Red oaks is a half hour story about a guy working at a country club in the 80s and is pretty funny, mad dogs is about a bunch of guys who get invited to their friend's mansion in Belize and things go a little crazy when the friend borrows a boat. These should get you through a few workouts.
Mad Dogs was fun, I hope they do a second season.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Nice Guys is so goood

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Freakonomics is on Prime and it's pretty interesting.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

Mad Dogs was fun, I hope they do a second season.

They decided not to do a season 2.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They decided not to do a season 2.

I haven't finished it yet, but I can see why a second season might not work. Great show though.

Also seconding the recommend for Mr Robot, although I didn't see any of the end coming which was cool because it was like this after each episode: :eek:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

precision posted:

Freakonomics is on Prime and it's pretty interesting.
It's also one of the best podcasts out there, and I strongly recommend everyone subscribe to it.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I went through all of the new Black Mirror today. Last two were alright, but the first four were very good. San Junipero episode really stood out as the best.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Recommending the Irish-Cuban co-production Viva (2015). Understated, heartwarming picture.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Slandible posted:

I went through all of the new Black Mirror today. Last two were alright, but the first four were very good. San Junipero episode really stood out as the best.

Yea, San Junipero loving wrecked me. So good, and really liked the change in tone from most of the other Black Mirror stuff.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I really liked the first two seasons of Hannibal on Prime, but I'm halfway through the third season and it's godawful

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Filthy Hans posted:

I really liked the first two seasons of Hannibal on Prime, but I'm halfway through the third season and it's godawful

It gets better towards the end, but season 3 was such a misstep for the show after 2 really good seasons. Although Hannibal has always been about style, that last season was pure style over substance. Still would of loved a season 4.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Filthy Hans posted:

Yes. Bringing back the crowelk was a bad move.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yea, San Junipero loving wrecked me. So good, and really liked the change in tone from most of the other Black Mirror stuff.

that episode came out of NOWHERE and I loved it.

My favorite episode is still White Christmas, though.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nate fisher posted:

It gets better towards the end, but season 3 was such a misstep for the show after 2 really good seasons. Although Hannibal has always been about style, that last season was pure style over substance. Still would of loved a season 4.

The only idea worse than recapping the awful Hannibal movie over half a tv season was adding elements from the even worse Hannibal Rising

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Filthy Hans posted:

The only idea worse than recapping the awful Hannibal movie over half a tv season was adding elements from the even worse Hannibal Rising

The show did itself a disservice at times by moving several elements in the Hannibal timeline. I guess they wanted to keep book readers and people who seen the movies off guard. Curious how they would of handled Clarice in season 4, but I know even if they got renewed there was issues with getting rights to her character.

Just curious I never read Hannibal Rising (I read the first three), were the parts about him going back to his home in that book (or movie)?

Edit: I just read the Wiki on Hannibal Rising. I see what parts you are talking about.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It wasn't a difficulty getting the character for the show. The production company company straight up refused to even talk them about using anything from Silence of the Lambs. The general idea was that Anna Chlumsky's character would fill in for Clarice.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The tagline for the Greek film Chevalier (2015) is "a buddy movie without the buddies," and that's a perfect way to describe it. It's an absurdist melodrama which plays like a bizarre mix of The Hangover, Porcile, and Dogtooth. Streaming on Netflix and highly recommended.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Nice Guys is so goood
Shane Black alert - which service is this on?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Man, I was super hyped for Black Mirror but I couldn't even make it halfway through the first episode because if how ham-fisted it was :sigh:

nate fisher posted:

They could have gotten a fourth season with Amazon but Fuller decided to work on American Gods instead. Just in case season 3 wasn't enough of a hint that he was getting tired of the show.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Watched The Homesman yesterday. I know Hillary Swank playing a spurned but determined woman isn't necessarily new ground for her, but drat does she do it well. Tommy Lee Jones is excellent, and the movie does a good job of showing how much it must have sucked rear end to live on the frontier in the 1800s.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The Homesman is really good. Jones directs the poo poo out of it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah The Homesman is the best Cormac McCarthy tribute movie since The Proposition

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

Man, I was super hyped for Black Mirror but I couldn't even make it halfway through the first episode because if how ham-fisted it was :sigh:

While I won't disagree, I wouldn't say Black Mirror has been exactly subtle before.

At least check out the San Junipero or whatever it's called episode. It's very different.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Guy Mann posted:

The first episode is pretty ham-fisted, but it moderates itself by the end. The second episode got things back on track for me. Although, to be honest, I've only watched two episodes of season 3. :v:

Really though the show previously had some duds along with the gems. So keep at it.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Remulak posted:

Shane Black alert - which service is this on?

Amazon Prime, and they had a $0.99 rental special last weekend for it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

A Proper Uppercut posted:

While I won't disagree, I wouldn't say Black Mirror has been exactly subtle before.

At least check out the San Junipero or whatever it's called episode. It's very different.

Maybe it's because it's been years since the last season but I don't remember anything quite as blatant as the brother standing in the kitchen literally shouting at the camera that "people used to have real conversations before these darn newspapers TVs phones social networks came along! Technology is ruining everything!"

I'll definitely watch the other episodes later.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think subtlety is always what Black Mirror is going for. Some episodes seem to be more to vent frustration at modern society than anything.

I really enjoyed that episode but I agree they could have cut the conversation with the brother. It felt like a bit much.

Overall it was my least favorite season but I really enjoyed it nonetheless.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Thats not even the point of the episode, its like super transparently about class

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Slandible posted:

that episode first had me going "hm, I don't get it, this is kind of stupid," but the relationship between the two girls kept me watching and HOLY poo poo was it a payoff.

My favorite episode will always be white christmas, though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hat Thoughts posted:

Thats not even the point of the episode, its like super transparently about class

Class isn't an issue in modern society?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

Class isn't an issue in modern society?

Pretty sure he was referring to the "social media bad!" part not being the issue.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Black Mirror is Cool and Good.

Still thinking about San Junipero.

However, the first episode is kind of trash, and the season would have been better with it nearer to the end.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 25, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Field Mousepad posted:

Pretty sure he was referring to the "social media bad!" part not being the issue.

Ya, the tech's just the metaphor but if you change Social Media Points or w/e to Money the episode's super transparent.
Lady wants to get apartment outside of her price range but doesn't have the "points", she could get there extremely slowly doing what she is doing (slowly because the people who like her are service industry workers who don't have very many "points" so aren't particularly influential) or she could make it skyrocket when she gets the chance to make connections with a speech at a wedding (on an island!) with people who have a ton of points.
Then as her points go down her options get more limited she has to get shittier things (garbo car) she starts getting trapped because people with higher points don't trust her & the only person who's willing to talk to her is someone with almost no points (a trucker) who tells her she stopped caring about points when after working extremely hard to scrape together enough points to get her husband in a clinical trial he was denied because someone with more points got in

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Guy Mann posted:

It's been 20 years and people still think that red pill/blue pill analogies are groundbreaking

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

coyo7e posted:

It's been 150 years and people still think that red pill/blue pill analogies are groundbreaking

Corrected to satisfy my own pedantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I reviewed it over in the "rate the last movie" thread, but y'all should definitely watch 13th on Netflix. Fantastic documentary on the American prison system and black culture by Ava Duvernay, the director of Selma.