Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Never thought of the vote buying thing. In that case it makes sense to ban it.

Obviously you weren't alive in New York City circa 1860.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I can see where you're coming from, but then how do you prevent what so many people posted above---- votes getting bought, sold, or coerced?

It's already illegal. There are laws against what you're describing.

I'd be amazed if any law against taking a picture of your own ballot held up to a basic First Amendment challenge.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Why is this even a thing? Is it a threat to the voting process if some dumbass Millenial takes a ballot selfie?

A lot of these laws are holdovers from decades, if not a century, ago

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

The number of people who write about wanting a "duck buddy" on okcupid is incredible.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

I'd be amazed if any law against taking a picture of your own ballot held up to a basic First Amendment challenge.

In a 3-3 FEC ruling, saying 'you only get a break to vote it its for Trump' isn't coercion

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Lightning Knight posted:

I wasn't clear. I know vote buying/selling is massively illegal.

What I'm saying is if you make taking a picture of your completed ballot legal, it becomes very hard to police the illegal activity, and then the Republicans MIGHT actually have a case when they cry voter fraud.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

WrenP-Complete posted:

The number of people who write about wanting a "duck buddy" on okcupid is incredible.

I sleep all day and missed it and probably will regret it: what's a duck buddy?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

A lot of these laws are holdovers from decades, if not a century, ago

Was there a big problem in the 1916 election of people carrying those huge-rear end cameras with the flash powder into the voting booth?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Look at what key is next to the D on your keyboard

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of scary people don't realize why making proof of ballot illegal is pretty essential to a functioning democracy. It's sad that the fact it's so easy to unwittingly commit a felony for pure motives is going to be the downfall of these laws.

Are you the same people who were wondering what the big deal was when Unions were trying to pass laws to strike down secret ballots?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

vyelkin posted:

Damnit internet you disappoint me.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cigar Aficionado posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/10/24/inside-donald-trump-s-one-stop-parties-attendees-recall-cocaine-and-very-young-models.html

Daily Beast is reporting that Trump used to have cocaine parties and bang underage girls.

Not sure this is going to go anywhere without one of the girls coming forward and copping to blowing Donald when she was 14.

If the later happens, he might do worse than Cox in national vote share and the GOP will lose 100 seats in the House.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Was there a big problem in the 1916 election of people carrying those huge-rear end cameras with the flash powder into the voting booth?

No, but in Texas' case (as well as other southern States) I could see there being a problem with people taking photographs of the uppity minorities in line to visit them later.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

They are using a slang term for sex outside of a committed romantic relationship. Also paid duck agitator is my new favorite kind of no-strings-attached relationship.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Trump literally has a race card?

Underrated post.

Ice Phisherman posted:

It costs three colorless mana and three black mana. It's a 7/1 Trample card. Total glass cannon. Does a ton of damage but it can't take a single hit. Also phasing as it seems to disappear from major news outlets. That's in the new edition though.

Also quality.

Chinese Gordon posted:

Trump is down 7 points in Nevada in poll commissioned by the only newspaper that has endorsed him.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/politics/election-2016/rj-poll-shows-clinton-pulling-away-trump-nevada

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

At least in the case of Colorado, it's illegal to reveal the contents of your ballot so that carried over to photos from the original 1891 law

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

vyelkin posted:

I.... I actually thought it had to do with the Donald Duck thing that the Clinton campaign was doing.

I'm dumb.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

WrenP-Complete posted:

They are using a slang term for sex outside of a committed romantic relationship. Also paid duck agitator is my new favorite kind of no-strings-attached relationship.

Back in my day we called that friends with benefits.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

At least in the case of Colorado, it's illegal to reveal the contents of your ballot so that carried over to photos from the original 1891 law

It may be illegal but how enforcable is it?

If two people are walking down the street and cop ovehears one say to the other "Yeah, I voted for Clinton" would he actually arrest them? Would it hold up in court?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I.... I actually thought it had to do with the Donald Duck thing that the Clinton campaign was doing.

I'm dumb.

It did! That's why I brought it up

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Chuu posted:

It's kind of scary people don't realize why making proof of ballot illegal is pretty essential to a functioning democracy. It's sad that the fact it's so easy to unwittingly commit a felony for pure motives is going to be the downfall of these laws.

Are you the same people who were wondering what the big deal was when Unions were trying to pass laws to strike down secret ballots?

No, the ability to photograph your ballot really isn't going to be the downfall of democracy, nor is making it a felony somehow safeguarding its integrity

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

vyelkin posted:

also a lot of autocorrectors really try to make you say motherducker

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

If two people are walking down the street and cop ovehears one say to the other "Yeah, I voted for Clinton" would he actually arrest them? Would it hold up in court?

That is different than you providing a copy/image of your ballot.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Well thats not really the same but either way: It wouldnt, which is why they're rarely enforced and many of them are in the process of being struck down

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

providing the contents of your ballot is different from claiming the contents of your ballot

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

I actually would be interested in knowing the three books that most influenced posters' politics, whether ideology or practice.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Friedrich Nietzsche

A Thousand Plateaus, Giles Deleuze and Félix Guattari

The Forest People, Colin Turnbull

This last one is a classic ethnography of the Mbuti hunter-gatherers of Central Africa and the first I ever read. I think this book made such a great impression on me is that it, and potentially any other ethnography, offered a view of a society with norms and values and material circumstances so utterly different from my own, and yet despite their differences the people within it were still so relatably human. I think a lot of people struggle to empathize with others especially those from different cultures, and reading a work like this or traveling can really break apart some things you always just assumed were inherent about the world.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It would be trivial to alter a photo of a completed ballot to "prove" whatever, so anyone who would accept a selfie as evidence of a ballot being cast a certain way is a moron in addition to a criminal.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Lightning Knight posted:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

My disagreement with you with this is not that you're wrong (yes I think it's silly) but as I've mentioned previously the law in my state is an outright ban of photography within 100 feet of a polling location. Which is different than just snapping a picture of your ballot.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Instant Sunrise posted:

also a lot of autocorrectors really try to make you say motherducker

Autocorrect has won. I no longer care enough to type the word "gently caress," on my phone. I assume my children will grow up saying "motherducker" and "duck you" and "poz my duck hole" because at that point it will just have morphed into an actual swear and Buzzfeed in 2216 will write a clickbait article about the surprising origin of the phrase "duck off."

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Why is this even a thing? Is it a threat to the voting process if some dumbass Millenial takes a ballot selfie?

Your boss tells you to vote Republican and take a picture of it to prove it. Or you're fired.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Train your phone to appreciate gently caress and motherfucker.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Train your phone to appreciate gently caress and motherfucker.

:points to recharger:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Warcabbit posted:

Your boss tells you to vote Republican and take a picture of it to prove it. Or you're fired.

theres definitely laws against this

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

theres definitely laws against this

Lawyers are expensive. Especially when you don't have a job.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kro-Bar posted:

Lawyers are expensive. Especially when you don't have a job.

Ding ding ding.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Lawyer is a job. Two birds with one stone.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Crain posted:

That's my mentality now. It has to happen sooner rather than later. The kind way to describe it is like ripping a bandaid off, but really it's more like forcing someone into rehab.

There's a drat lot of recovery that has to happen along with closing the mines, and we'll just have to try and save anyone who'll let us help.

I think there needs to be a bit more awareness about the issues than that. Coal mining states, like West Virginia for example, deserve federal stimulus as the coal mining and coal fired plants are shut down. What I would envision would be a sort of deal with these areas rather than something top-down. This would be recognition of the inarguable good that those changes would do for society and the environment, as well as the precarious economic situation of coal mining-dependent families.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Republican congressmen now suing TV stations for running ads tying them to Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I mean yeah it's ridiculous but the ad did have a photoshopped dramatization of him shaking Trump's hand.

• Locked thread