Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Goatman Sacks posted:

gently caress West Virginia and everyone that lives there.

Hey gently caress you buddy!! West Virginia is a legitimately beautiful and unique state, and tons of awesome people live there. I've never done so and I wouldn't, but it's really a pretty neat place and when I was there last there actually was quite a bit of awareness that something needs to be done about the coal industry. The problem is that there has to be something to replace it, whether it is new industries or new welfare. Coal workers vote for their immediate interest and that of their family, in other words they vote to keep food on the table. It's hard to blame someone for rejecting something that might be good for the world but bad for their families.

Tim Kaine made a pretty good point similar to this one at one of his recent rallies I attended. If coal is to go, then there must be alternatives for employment and the economic survival of places like West Virginia. Many people (not all, obviously) know that the coal companies have been loving them real dirty for a long time, but there have to be alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

GalacticAcid posted:

I actually would be interested in knowing the three books that most influenced posters' politics, whether ideology or practice.

The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
Lord of the Flies
Six By Seuss

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

citybeatnik posted:

My disagreement with you with this is not that you're wrong (yes I think it's silly) but as I've mentioned previously the law in my state is an outright ban of photography within 100 feet of a polling location. Which is different than just snapping a picture of your ballot.

I am 99% if someone bothered to challenge that it wouldn't hold up.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

eviltastic posted:

A lot of people whose parents paid for their expenses through college? The reason there are so many weirdly prevalent prejudices people have about that area is because so many haven't ever had to do it. I mean, maybe there is somebody out there who has waited tables and can still be a complete poo poo to their server, but I doubt there are many.

i dont think there's necessarily a dichotomy between "pampered rich kid" and "my first job was working the fry vat at wendy's". young men with toxic masculine fathers who live in rural or suburban areas might be encouraged to go into real man jobs like farming, construction, forestry, mechanic... there's tons of blue collar entry level jobs that don't involve working in the service sector. you could even go into the army, wash out or do a short term, and come out thinking you've gotten into real work without ever getting that perspective that the service sector provides

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Goatman Sacks posted:

gently caress West Virginia and everyone that lives there.

This is really stupid.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Kro-Bar posted:

Lawyers are expensive. Especially when you don't have a job.

It is an incredibly stupid plan, especially with how much attention is paid to elections

also if they were determined to get their employees to vote R or be fired, why wouldn't they just order them to take a photo anyhow? Literally nothing about those laws protects employees from awful employers.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

I actually would be interested in knowing the three books that most influenced posters' politics, whether ideology or practice.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money by Keynes
A Theory of Justice by John Rawls (if you've never read Rawls, seriously seriously check him out)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

eviltastic posted:

Life experience, particularly interacting with people from dramatically different backgrounds, had such a huge impact that books are kind of a rounding error. Getting out into the real world pulled me way left.

Not all people have such positive responses to the kinds of life experience you're talking about, and lots of people actively avoid them!

There's also tons of lovely people I went to HS with who I worked service sector poo poo jobs with who post memes making GBS threads on fast food workers.

Life experience without examination or education is just as likely to entrench people in regressive viewpoints.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Where I live (Denmark) you can leave the booth and exchange your ballot in case you fill it out incorrectly or similar. Does that not exist in the us? That seems to solve the problem of photographing the filled out ballot.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

Not all people have such positive responses to the kinds of life experience you're talking about, and lots of people actively avoid them!

There's also tons of lovely people I went to HS with who I worked service sector poo poo jobs with who post memes making GBS threads on fast food workers.

Life experience without examination or education is just as likely to entrench people in regressive viewpoints.

yeah - working in service won't necessarily lead to social understanding. a lot of people are just loving dumb and lack introspection or curiosity altogether

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

NFX posted:

Where I live (Denmark) you can leave the booth and exchange your ballot in case you fill it out incorrectly or similar. Does that not exist in the us? That seems to solve the problem of photographing the filled out ballot.

I think it comes down to the individual state in the USA for stuff like this.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

Does the Illuminatus! Trilogy count as one book?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

NFX posted:

In Ohio you're allowed to get up to two new ballots if you make an error. I think other states aren't as lenient.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

uPen posted:

I mean yeah it's ridiculous but the ad did have a photoshopped dramatization of him shaking Trump's hand.

I love that being fictionally associated with Trump is grounds for someone to sue for defamation.

Play posted:

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
A Theory of Justice by John Rawls (if you've never read Rawls, seriously seriously check him out)

I liked Catch-22 until I joined the military and then it stopped being loving funny. :unsmith:

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

It is an incredibly stupid plan, especially with how much attention is paid to elections

also if they were determined to get their employees to vote R or be fired, why wouldn't they just order them to take a photo anyhow? Literally nothing about those laws protects employees from awful employers.

Or just fire them for not quite fitting into the workplace culture or for whatever if its an at will state.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I have never read an overtly political book.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Play posted:

If you're going to bother to read Keynes then you should also probably read Smith's Wealth of Nations or Theory of Moral Sentiments.

The way regressive economists like Russ Roberts twist Adam Smith is absolutely astounding. Similar to how Jesus would be called a hippie liberal by the right wing if there ever were a second coming, the same would happen to Adam Smith.

Right wing economic ideas trace their roots back Darwin moreso than any of the economic greats.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 25, 2016

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

GalacticAcid posted:

I more stumbled into it, but the following stand out:

Take This Job and Ship It
Breakfast of Champions
The Mars trilogy

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

ErIog posted:

If you're going to bother to read Keynes then you should also probably read Smith's Wealth of Nations or Theory of Moral Sentiments.

The way regressive economists like Russ Roberts twist Adam Smith is absolutely astounding. Similar to how Jesus would be called a hippie liberal by the right wing if there ever were a second coming, the same would happen to Adam Smith.

Right wing economic ideas trace their roots back Darwin moreso than any of the early economists.

You're a champ if you can get through those though. Like his buddy Hume Adam Smith was brilliant, verbose, and desperately in need of an editor. Those books would never be published without changes today and for good reason.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ErIog posted:

Right wing economic ideas trace their roots back Darwin moreso than any of the early economists.

Though much like the Bible, Wealth of Nations is very...cumbersome to read.

As for me, I can't really trace my philosophy to a single collection of books. Maybe Where the Wild Things Are as an illustration of the failures of Libertarianism (no man is an island, even if he is a god king to a race of monsters).

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ErIog posted:

Right wing economic ideas trace their roots back Darwin moreso than any of the economic greats.

I was listing the three books that have had an enduring effect on my political and social opinions, not the only three books I've ever read. But of course Adam Smith was one-of-a-kind, a genius who explained something that seems glaringly obvious today but that's primarily because of him. And it is a real shame the lessons that people have taken from him and the way his words have been distorted. He was actually a reasonable and compassionate fellow, and had quite a few radical (for his time) social and economic views.

edit: also everyone is correct about the writing, it is drat hard to read. A single sentence can take the same amount of time to read and understand as a whole page of someone else's writing.

Play fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 25, 2016

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Ogmius815 posted:

You're a champ if you can get through those though. Like his buddy Hume Adam Smith was brilliant, verbose, and desperately in need of an editor. Those books would never be published without changes today and for good reason.

I'm with you on Theory of Moral Sentiments, but I feel like Wealth of Nations isn't too bad and it's popular enough to where there's lots of annotated versions and companions.

Also, like I said, if they're down for reading Keynes then they'd probably be also down for reading Wealth of Nations despite it not being modern verbiage.

Play posted:

I was listing the three books that have had an enduring effect on my political and social opinions, not the only three books I've ever read. But of course Adam Smith was one-of-a-kind, a genius who explained something that seems glaringly obvious today but that's primarily because of him. And it is a real shame the lessons that people have taken from him and the way his words have been distorted. He was actually a reasonable and compassionate fellow, and had quite a few radical (for his time) social and economic views.

I wasn't making GBS threads on your recommendations. I was just adding to them, and I agree with your post here.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 25, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GalacticAcid posted:

I don't know, I read for pleasure mainly. Dune probably had a big impact, and oddly enough, the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series, more commonly known for the HBO show Game of Thrones, or perhaps Vonnegut or Hemingway. I've of course read overtly political and economic books, the latest being 'Between the World and Me' or 'What's the Matter with Kansas' but I'd say I was well down the road by that point so it'd be hard to say that they influenced me since I sought them out.

A very healthy dose of cynicism for religion and government in those books and in general human constructs. A quote that always sticks out in my mind from God Emperor of Dune is

quote:

“Scratch a conservative and you find someone who prefers the past over any future. Scratch a liberal and find a closet aristocrat. It’s true! Liberal governments always develop into aristocracies. The bureaucracies betray the true intent of people who form such governments. Right from the first, the little people who formed the governments which promised to equalize the social burdens found themselves suddenly in the hands of bureaucratic aristocracies. Of course, all bureaucracies follow this pattern, but what a hypocrisy to find this even under a communized banner.

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 25, 2016

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

GalacticAcid posted:

Combat in the Erogenous Zone by Ingrid Bengis
Finding Darwin's God by Kenneth Miller
The Drunkard's Walk by Leonard Mlodinow

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

I've been reading about it elsewhere and it's royally hosed up. The Feds know it is too. Someone started a class action lawsuit in California and the government immediately forgave his outstanding debt and are asking for the class action to be dismissed. since that specific person no longer has reason to sue. Another person was being told to repay because the government couldn't find its copy of their signing papers with the bonus. Honestly, reading about it is a good way to ruin your day because it's just so insanely hosed up. :smith:

It'd be nice to have Clinton call attention to it and state that she's going to do everything in her power to stop it and just have the government eat the cost instead of loving up the lives of thousands of vets.

She did.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

GalacticAcid posted:

New Jim Crow/Slavery by Another Name/Medical Apartheid
Liberty and Justice for Some / The Divide
and I guess Rawls/Singer/Marx, although those are mostly second hand.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

GalacticAcid posted:

Tribal Nation: The Making of Soviet Turkmenistan by Adrienne Edgar
Unholy Trinity: The IMF, World Bank and WTO by Richard Peet
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Kafka's The Trial, I think, was marginally more important to me

I'd recommend the Edgar to anyone in who is interested in race, ethnic politics, Central Asia, the USSR or nation-building. I think it's a remarkable piece of scholarship.
e:changed my mind on the last book

stone cold fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 25, 2016

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

I liked Catch-22 until I joined the military and then it stopped being loving funny. :unsmith:

This makes me wonder about how military service affects people's perception of The Good Soldier Švejk

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

War and Peace is cool and good. It also counts for at least 3 books.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rated PG-34 posted:

War and Peace is cool and good. It also counts for at least 3 books.

Do the English versions keep the French?

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

stone cold posted:

Tribal Nation: The Making of Soviet Turkmenistan by Adrienne Edgar
Unholy Trinity: The IMF, World Bank and WTO by Richard Peet
Beloved by Toni Morrison
Kafka's The Trial, I think, was marginally more important to me

I'd recommend the Edgar to anyone in who is interested in race, ethnic politics, Central Asia, the USSR or nation-building. I think it's a remarkable piece of scholarship.
e:changed my mind on the last book

Read The Castle if you liked The trial, holy hell.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

OddObserver posted:

The translation I read did; luckily, my French isn't that bad.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

OddObserver posted:

Depends entirely on the translation (and sometimes the editor if a classic translation has the French re-inserted). It's apparently a whole to-do in the Russian literature translation scene.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Mr. Pool posted:

Read The Castle if you liked The trial, holy hell.

Oh, I have, I think they're both quite brilliant. I like his short works too-In the Penal Colony is just amazing-but I deeply regret not knowing German. Having to rely on translation is always so off-putting when you just know you're losing the nuance of the original language.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

GalacticAcid posted:

I'll credit 'Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them' with turning me into a solid liberal in high school.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

Play posted:

Hey gently caress you buddy!! West Virginia is a legitimately beautiful and unique state, and tons of awesome people live there. I've never done so and I wouldn't, but it's really a pretty neat place and when I was there last there actually was quite a bit of awareness that something needs to be done about the coal industry. The problem is that there has to be something to replace it, whether it is new industries or new welfare. Coal workers vote for their immediate interest and that of their family, in other words they vote to keep food on the table. It's hard to blame someone for rejecting something that might be good for the world but bad for their families.

Another West Virginia native here, and it breaks my heart to see how WV's politicians have either been asleep at the wheel or actively looting the state for so long. It isn't just old gunfuckers watching mines wind down; there is a strain of libertarian idiocy in the younger, politically active population who believe if they yell "jobs" loud enough and cut enough regulations that the state's infrastructure will magically heal itself. When Republicans finally got control of the state after decades, they looted the education budget and passed conceal carry laws... and legalized raw milk, and immediately got sick after chugging it in celebration.

WV's politicos are so lovely that the Democrats have not conjured anyone as liberal as Robert C. Byrd, who was an actual loving klansman. The democratic nominee and likely future governor, Jim Justice, is another huckster businessman who is a climate change skeptic. And not a one of them have come up with a plan for the state's industry more robust than "let more carpetbaggers frack our water tables to hell" or "hope Chinese businessmen want to invest in sundown towns with guttering schools and 19th-century infrastructure."

I love my state but I wish the people in charge of it would stop punching it in the face.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

stone cold posted:

Oh, I have, I think they're both quite brilliant. I like his short works too-In the Penal Colony is just amazing-but I deeply regret not knowing German. Having to rely on translation is always so off-putting when you just know you're losing the nuance of the original language.

Yeah I took a whole course that was just a study and comparison of The Castle and Thus Spoke Zarathustra, and our Prof tried to fill us in on as much of the German wordplay as he could for us non-speakers. Although he repeatedly begged us to learn German if only to read Kafka's works in the original German, because according to him thats enough of a reason =D

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

I'll credit 'Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them' with turning me into a solid liberal in high school.

I read "Why Not Me?" a satirical book about comedian and social gadfly Al Franken's fictional run for president. And yet now he is a respected senator and for all I know might actually run one day.... sugoi....

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
If this is true, I really want this to be exposed in a big way to the nation before the 8th.

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/790736275355557888
https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/790737025972391936

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 25, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Did anyone mention The Prince yet? It's still a great primer on realpolitik, and additionally the history of it is quite telling. It had virtually no influence during Machiavelli's time but later on it was condemned by the Catholic church. The argument was the book was evil because Machiavelli spoke poorly of the church, but I think the real reason was that the Church would look very poorly within the framework of realpolitik. Additionally, Machiavelli backed up all his arguments with detailed historical examples. Feel free to ignore anyone who claims The Prince is satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Play posted:

Tim Kaine made a pretty good point similar to this one at one of his recent rallies I attended. If coal is to go, then there must be alternatives for employment and the economic survival of places like West Virginia. Many people (not all, obviously) know that the coal companies have been loving them real dirty for a long time, but there have to be alternatives.
Why should richer and predominantly-Democratic states transfer (even more) wealth to places like West Virginia, who generally turn right around and elect politicians to national office who promise to do everything they can to gently caress over poor people, minorities, gays, women, etc etc basically anyone white men with lovely opinions don't like? What's in it for us, because it sure as hell isn't national unity? Red states hate America with the fury of one million suns and subsidizing some industrial development for West Virginia isn't going to change that. It will probably make it worse like when we tried to fix healthcare - red states refused the funding anyway and tried to repeal the law for everyone instead. At this point I think blue states and the Democratic politicians they elect are starting to realize they just have to govern as best they can in spite of you. You should probably expect policy to favor Democratic states as a consequence of this - that's only natural.

I'm tired of being told I'm a latte-sipping, ivory tower elitist liberal rear end in a top hat by the same people who turn right around and say trite poo poo like "yeah there's quite a lot of awareness something needs to be done about the coal industry :jerkbag:

How about we do this about the coal industry: we stop buying your coal, and leave you to twist in the wind?

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 25, 2016

• Locked thread