Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Love Stole the Day posted:

I'm sorry to break y'alls circlejerk but fox and hedgehog are actual jargon for certain types of political people/pundits. It's from that Nate Silver guy's book from 6-ish years ago. It's the reason his blog site, fiveturdyeight, has a fox as its logo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hedgehog_and_the_Fox#Influence ctrl+f "nate silver"

so it's actually not game-related, sadly

Yeah but sonic the hedgehog came out 2 decades s before that

Qe'd bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Maybe having negative opinions about videogames can be okay if you don't spend literal years making the same complaints again and again.

I have a lot of complaints about the new Deus Ex but I still liked it a lot.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm sorry to break y'alls circlejerk but fox and hedgehog are actual jargon for certain types of political people/pundits. It's from that Nate Silver guy's book from 6-ish years ago. It's the reason his blog site, fiveturdyeight, has a fox as its logo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hedgehog_and_the_Fox#Influence ctrl+f "nate silver"

And the link says Silver got it from Isaiah Berlin.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Aw man how did I just find the chat thread

Hi everybody

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Hi everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0kGvgXmmgk

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Hi everybody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G32mq4JdgFo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

SHPEEEEEEH?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
and then i remembered i also own the bad 3ds mystery dungeon

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Metroid Prime Collection :allears:

I forgot how good the first 2 are.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

precision posted:

The Metroid Prime Collection :allears:

I forgot how good the first 2 are.

1 is great. 2 is ok i guess

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

corn in the bible posted:

1 is great. 2 is ok i guess

2 only starts to fall apart when the gimmick becomes more tedious than interesting.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Metroid Prime series got less good with each sequel but the Donkey Kong Country Returns sequel is an improvement so maybe Retro should make another Donkey Kong instead of a Prime...

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Bicyclops posted:

literally everyone knew this already, friend

I guarantee you that Lizard Wizard did not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MP2 is almost as good as 1 and I actually probably prefer its oppressive atmosphere, the only one that is close to 'okay' is 3 and that's still better than 90% of not-Metroid games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

I guarantee you that Lizard Wizard did not.

but lizard wizard IS newt gingrich

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Maybe having negative opinions about videogames can be okay if you don't spend literal years making the same complaints again and again.

Yeh, also people who are obsessed with hating on things rather than trying to find the things they like and having fun with them are lame.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeh, also people who are obsessed with hating on things rather than trying to find the things they like and having fun with them are lame.

On the other hand, being critical about even things you like is good and fun.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

chumbler posted:

On the other hand, being critical about even things you like is good and fun.

Being critical and thoughtful about things u like is a healthy way to live, but we post on a forum where every time like a new Bioware or Bethesda game or console or whatever comes out people will post about how much they hate it and its rear end for a year or more on a daily basis

Its extremely weird, and probably indicative of an unhappy mind

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's extremely weird to express your opinion about something when it comes up in conversation? If you do or don't like something, why wouldn't you say so? Does it really count as being hung up on something "for years" to continue having the same opinion you originally had of it?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

thanks for ruining it for me, i appreciate it

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CJacobs posted:

It's extremely weird to express your opinion about something when it comes up in conversation? If you do or don't like something, why wouldn't you say so? Does it really count as being hung up on something "for years" to continue having the same opinion you originally had of it?

It is if you are expressing the same opinion in the same thread years after the game was released.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why? You keep saying that without explaining why you find it weird.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's not weird. It's the other side of nostalgia. As one can wax nostalgically about their favorite moments when a game is brought up, another person can tap into those feelings they had when they didn't enjoy the game. It's weird to call it weird. :eonwe:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How do I get my PS4 controller to work on my computer please and thank you

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Why? You keep saying that without explaining why you find it weird.

It's weird.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I don't think it's weird but it's annoying every time Bethesda or Bioware games come up and people make the same jokes or just go "the writing is so bad in those games." I don't even like Bethesda but eh it gets boring.

On the other hand, if someone does some even vaguely thoughtful analysis of an old game, I enjoy reading it because I like reading and listening to new view points on old and new games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lizard Wizard posted:

How do I get my PS4 controller to work on my computer please and thank you

InputMapper.

:shrug:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like talking about how bad dragon quest 7 is, and now there's a remake. all this new material to criticize...!!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CJacobs posted:

InputMapper.

It's not being recognized in control panel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's not being recognized in control panel.

Weird. It should show up like this:

I'm on Win 10 now, but it was the same for me on 7. Try going to Device Manager and clicking 'scan for hardware changes' after plugging it in.

edit: On its own it'll be ten kinds of hosed up if you try to play a game with it, but InputMapper should automatically detect it and then it'll work. Some games detect it as a PS3/4 controller properly, but for most it'll act like a 360 controller because the DS4 doesn't have native compatibility with Windows right now.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 25, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CJacobs posted:

I don't care about baseball and I think cigars are gross. Why would I post in the baseball forum or the cigar thread, especially repeatedly over a period of months/years once I voiced my displeasure, instead of engaging in conversations about things that interest me?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Just imagine two years from now there is still a dedicated Donald Trump megathread and people are posting the same small hands jokes from today.

Probably won't happen because it's weird.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

wizard on a water slide posted:

I don't care about baseball and I think cigars are gross. Why would I post in the baseball forum or the cigar thread, especially repeatedly over a period of months/years once I voiced my displeasure, instead of engaging in conversations about things that interest me?

Granted, people who jump into a thread just to say "thing is bad aight see ya" and kickflip away on their hover-round do suck. If you just say it and leave without even reading peoples' responses, then yeah, I can understand that being a weird thing to do. People do that pretty often, especially on SA.

But the discourse caused by groups of people having opposite opinions on something is the entire basis of what an internet forum is for. It's for long-form discussion. You can choose not to participate in that if you want, but imo it's not out of the ordinary at all to want to participate when the opportunity arises, even if it's over a long period of time.

edit: And if the heart of your complaint is that it's the same people making the same points back and forth to each other forever, then there's not much I can say to that other than that when you have lots of time to talk about it the arguments will inevitably repeat :shrug:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 25, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I bought stellaris a day late :negative:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There's nothing wrong with people discussing things they like/don't like for however long they want when they actually make an effort of using arguments. Of course it's annoying when this happens in excess like when somebody just has to post every time a certain subject is mentioned - if it starts going in circles it's useless and it becomes clear it's not about the subject anymore but about the poster's ego.

However the real shitshow starts when people start talking about other people having different opinions than them. How dumb they are, how what their opinion about a game actually reveals their inferiority and how superior the proper opinion person is or whatever. These are mostly attempts at boosting a low self-esteem and have nothing to do with the topic at hand, it's about an ego trip. This happens way too often in games and in this thread as well including the eye-rolling 'goon hivemind is so bad' posts. Discuss things, don't discuss people discussing things.

Basically the problem is not about sharing opinions, it's about how and why people share them.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 25, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
People who post about how people post about how people post are just the worst.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

:justpost:

But also don't be a nerd

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're posting on a video game forum you're a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

On a perfect forum people would just argue about things instead of focusing on who's actually right and using opinions as some sort of psychological leverage designed to make themselves feel better. It's cool to give others space for opinions you don't agree with (as long as they give you yours), you will always get something out of it. Talk about video games, video games are cool.

• Locked thread