Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Supraluminal posted:

Yes, let's only help the people we like, people who think like us and talk like us. Real Americans. All those undesirable types can get hosed. Classic progressive ideals on display.
If you have to spend twice as much in resources to do the same amount of good in a place as you could somewhere else, because of political considerations, then past a certain point if you insist on trying to do the same amount of good in both places then all you're really doing is loving over the people who live "somewhere else" (where you can do more good). Resources are limited and spending them wisely is a good thing.

Like people who want to live below sea level and insist the government pay a shitload of money on levies and oh also welfare programs because the local economy sucks, oh yeah and also please let me pass laws making gay people illegal and shooting a local cop in self-defense a hate crime...

How about we just voluntarily relocate the sane people who want the hell out of there, and who ever is left can take care of their own levies, until they eventually drown?

boner confessor posted:

please don't air your abusive childhood grievances in this thread masquerading as worthless opinions about the welfare state tia
Well then don't make assumptions about where someone must have grown up, like yeah of course people who grow up in red states all loving love it or something or are at least sympathetic to it, or whatever.

Quite frankly it sounds to me like you're the one with the issues growing up in red America, if you think there is anything there worth saving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Snollygoster posted:

I love my state but I wish the people in charge of it would stop punching it in the face.

Bro. I live in Wisconsin. I feel your pain. :smith:

Re: "my boss demands I take a picture of my Trump ballot or I'm fired," I'd argue that's a function of employers being far too powerful in this country and there not being enough strong union representation and labor protection laws and enforcement, more so than a problem of needing to restrict people from being able or post pictures of their ballots to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Edit: we should 100% utilize resources to help poor people who don't vote for left-wing parties. Them not voting for left-wing parties or taking it into their own hands to organize left-wing parties in their State just makes that harder because of how our government is designed. Nobody should be left behind because they vote for assholes and/or are assholes. It's our job to prevent them from hurting others, not to punish them economically for wrongthink.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 25, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

Well then don't make assumptions about where someone must have grown up, like yeah of course people who grow up in red states all loving love it or something or are at least sympathetic to it, or whatever.

Quite frankly it sounds to me like you're the one with the issues growing up in red America, if you think there is anything there worth saving.

i didn't make any assumptions about where you grew up? and you grew up in a blue state anyway?

you're not making much sense, you're so angry at the existence of republican voters that you've descended into incoherency. i suggest a break from internet

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Nessus posted:

Plus you may get the converse, the equivalent of Republicans pulling a HB2 thing on the national level somehow... though as long as the President is a Democrat they probably wouldn't have the stones to try. But after seeing what's happened in state houses I would in no way be shocked to see them ram-rod some kind of "Repeal Social Security" thing on technicalities the next time there's an R president.

If there's still a Republican party as we know it, of course.
They're going to do that anyway, and any attempts by Democrats to appease them not to would just be interpreted as weakness, and embolden them.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

boner confessor posted:

i didn't make any assumptions about where you grew up? and you grew up in a blue state anyway?

you're not making much sense, you're so angry at the existence of republican voters that you've descended into incoherency. i suggest a break from internet

boner confessor posted:

lmao that you have zero perspective on what red states are actually like

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
go to bed, kilroy

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I've frequently read that this one is bullshit.

I'd certainly hope so.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

On Terra Firma posted:

If he's already done it then there isn't anything we can do about it. I don't hope he did things, but if he did them then I want them to come to light. Wishing for that isn't ghoulish at all, it's actually a very good thing for the country to prevent someone like that from holding public office.

No I agree, if someone's done awful poo poo I would like to see it exposed and prosecuted and for them to face consequences, but I think it's pretty safe to say that even if Donald Trump didn't actually molest kids that he's still not going to be taking office.

On the other hand he's already got one suit for underaged rape being brought against so at this point it seems more like a "when" and not an "if."

SomeMathGuy posted:

You know who I am watching with ghoulish delight? The spineless GOP stoogies who doubled back on condemnations when they thought the heat was off. They deserve to die on this hill.

On that I completely agree.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kilroy posted:

They're going to do that anyway, and any attempts by Democrats to appease them not to would just be interpreted as weakness, and embolden them.
Fortunately, :abuela: probably knows the score on this front. I do wonder how long that's gonna hold, though. If the Republicans do disintegrate and regenerate somehow, they'd have to have at least some period of not being complete screaming assholes, right?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

If the Republicans do disintegrate and regenerate somehow, they'd have to have at least some period of not being complete screaming assholes, right?

What does your heart tell you?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Kilroy posted:

If you have to spend twice as much in resources to do the same amount of good in a place as you could somewhere else, because of political considerations, then past a certain point if you insist on trying to do the same amount of good in both places then all you're really doing is loving over the people who live "somewhere else" (where you can do more good). Resources are limited and spending them wisely is a good thing.

This is a false dilemma. Financial resources are really not the limiting factor for social programs in the US right now. Even though the economy is gradually improving, we could benefit from some profligate deficit spending for a good while yet. Well-designed public assistance programs - like plain ol' cash transfers - are very effective forms of stimulus anyway; we should be ramping them up for everyone who needs them.

I'm not even going to get into the idea that we should evacuate rural areas/red states and abandon the holdouts or whatever. It's ridiculous on its face in my opinion, so I don't know how to have a constructive discussion about it. Probably better to shop it around in the rural poverty thread, though I don't think it'll get a good reception there.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Kilroy where at in eastern Washington?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Nessus posted:

Fortunately, :abuela: probably knows the score on this front. I do wonder how long that's gonna hold, though. If the Republicans do disintegrate and regenerate somehow, they'd have to have at least some period of not being complete screaming assholes, right?
The people in their base aren't going anywhere and they're not going to change their minds. Maybe if they didn't have right-wing media screaming at them eight hours a day about how liberals want to turn their kids queer and bus in terrorists from Syria to live down the street and spend their tax dollars holding wild Hollywood orgies and so on, we'd have a shot. I don't think any kind of national agenda focusing on hate speech is going to get much traction, though.

But, with any luck either a new party will emerge that won't listen to them and they'll have to split their vote between the center-right party and the Constitution Party or the Real America Party or whatever bullshit party is the equivalent of the Greens on the hard right in America. It's also possible that the GOPe will hold onto their party, but they'll have to resign themselves to being in the electoral wilderness for the next decade at least, and I don't think they want to do it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
aside from the casual sociopathy, punishing people who dont vote for you (as well as punishing anyone nearby) is a really, as it turns out, loving awful way to increase your vote share and convince people you're worth voting for

very much a making GBS threads on the floor as you're getting kicked out of the party kind of bad, petty idea

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I've frequently read that this one is bullshit.

It's highly suspect because it was reported that people other than the alleged victim were pushing this story out into the public.

As for this new story about cocaine parties, I'm sure all those here salivating about a witness/victim were also eager to watch Hannity's interview with Rovin about the also totally legitimate stories of Clinton's personal fixer who arranged sex trysts for Hillary with both men and women.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

How reputable is the Daily Beast?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Man that reminds me, whatever happened to that gay prostitute who said he used to have sex and do cocaine with Obama? That was very scandalous as well!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Man that reminds me, whatever happened to that gay prostitute who said he used to have sex and do cocaine with Obama? That was very scandalous as well!

That rentboys name? Merrick Garland

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

boner confessor posted:

aside from the casual sociopathy, punishing people who dont vote for you (as well as punishing anyone nearby) is a really, as it turns out, loving awful way to increase your vote share and convince people you're worth voting for

very much a making GBS threads on the floor as you're getting kicked out of the party kind of bad, petty idea
See you say this, but the Republicans have punished most of the country for over a generation without apparently paying any electoral price of consequence. While I think they are going to be paying that bill in this election and over the next few elections, you can't blame people for getting ideas from the dominant operational group in their lifetimes.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
they say d&d is full of leftists but nobodys mentioned marx & engels communist manifesto yet? been red since i read it back in highschool during the first clinton administration
not sure if i read kerouac's on the road at an impressionable age or its really as great as they say, but its gotta be one or the other if not both
and the classic of changes is the only book i know of thats older than the written word`

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Books

Locke's Second Treastie on Government

Thucydides Peloponnesian Wars

The Battle Cry of Freedom by McPherson

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Supraluminal posted:

This is a false dilemma. Financial resources are really not the limiting factor for social programs in the US right now. Even though the economy is gradually improving, we could benefit from some profligate deficit spending for a good while yet. Well-designed public assistance programs - like plain ol' cash transfers - are very effective forms of stimulus anyway; we should be ramping them up for everyone who needs them.

I'm not even going to get into the idea that we should evacuate rural areas/red states and abandon the holdouts or whatever. It's ridiculous on its face in my opinion, so I don't know how to have a constructive discussion about it. Probably better to shop it around in the rural poverty thread, though I don't think it'll get a good reception there.
If we can muster the political will to do direct cash transfers to individuals without the states loving around with it or having the option to divert it to tax benefits for JOB CREATORS or whatever the gently caress, count me in.

It's easy to say that since it will never happen, but I would support that, and yeah direct payments are generally the most efficient way to help people out.

I wasn't talking about evacuating and my example was not that great, instead just make it really easy for people who don't want to be there, to not be there, and the rest can try to live in whatever conservative Real-America paradise they think would be the result. I would say I don't want to hear them complain when things don't work out, but in fact I really really do want to hear them complain.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Kilroy where at in eastern Washington?
Does that matter? Not Spokane and not in the north.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

boner confessor posted:

well, again maybe we can offer to keep them warm during the winters with all the straw you're blowing out your rear end in a top hat

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tom Guycot posted:

Trick question, theres no reason to like idaho.

Potatoes.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
So Pullman? Are you actually Ryan Leaf?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm that kid who read A People's History and Lies My Teacher Told Me in high school and thought he was woke as gently caress.

Ps. I'm actually the worst.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Themagicalgoat posted:

Discipline and Punish
Taran Wanderer
Invisible Man

Hell yeah Taran Wanderer :hfive: Such an underrated book.

GalacticAcid posted:

I actually would be interested in knowing the three books that most influenced posters' politics, whether ideology or practice.

A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula K. Le Guin
Politics and the English Language, George Orwell
The Truth (with Jokes), Al Franken

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

It's highly suspect because it was reported that people other than the alleged victim were pushing this story out into the public.

As for this new story about cocaine parties, I'm sure all those here salivating about a witness/victim were also eager to watch Hannity's interview with Rovin about the also totally legitimate stories of Clinton's personal fixer who arranged sex trysts for Hillary with both men and women.

You're bad at evaluating sources/evidence. There's enough independent bits of confirmation in that Daily Beast story that it seems plausible based on the fact that there's multiple sources and past reporting connected to the claims. I'm not saying it's 100% confirmed, but that it deserves more investigation.

The claims from the guy who was also responsible for Bill Clinton Endorsed By Alien and Hillary Names Bigfoot as Running Mate I think maybe should be taken a little less seriously.

These are not the same thing at all.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 25, 2016

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

If the townspeople ignore the boy who cries wolf every day for 30 years, that doesn't mean they also have to ignore the little girl who screams that the inn is burning down when the inn is, in fact, visibly on fire and burning down.

So Pullman? Are you actually Ryan Leaf?
I guess if you want to validate my red-America street cred you're out of luck, and there isn't any other reason for asking about this that's germane to this conversation.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

they say d&d is full of leftists but nobodys mentioned marx & engels communist manifesto yet? been red since i read it back in highschool during the first clinton administration
not sure if i read kerouac's on the road at an impressionable age or its really as great as they say, but its gotta be one or the other if not both
and the classic of changes is the only book i know of thats older than the written word`

In terms of Communist thought, though I appreciate Marx greatly, I always thought Lenin's 1917 pamphlet Imperialism, the Highest Stage of Capitalism was the more enjoyable read. He's quite good at summing up the work of Hobson and building on it, and I do so like a parsimonious theory!

It may be that the translations I've read of Marx vs. Lenin had varying levels of competency, but I've always thought Marx was considerably drier. Plus, I do like how Lenin very nicely plugs the holes in Marx's theories.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Kilroy posted:

If we can muster the political will to do direct cash transfers to individuals without the states loving around with it or having the option to divert it to tax benefits for JOB CREATORS or whatever the gently caress, count me in.

It's easy to say that since it will never happen, but I would support that, and yeah direct payments are generally the most efficient way to help people out.

I wasn't talking about evacuating and my example was not that great, instead just make it really easy for people who don't want to be there, to not be there, and the rest can try to live in whatever conservative Real-America paradise they think would be the result. I would say I don't want to hear them complain when things don't work out, but in fact I really really do want to hear them complain.

Does that matter? Not Spokane and not in the north.

Well there's no political will to turn the coastal megalopoli into liberal walled city-states surrounded by 24/7 Hunger Games either. And there are various forms of cash transfer already in effect at the federal level, like the EITC. Pretty sure Clinton has talked about beefing that up, and it actually gets a degree of bipartisan support (or has historically anyway).

I said I didn't want to get into the rural depopulation discussion, but I will pop this NYT article in here. Gives a pretty good overview of why geographic sorting of the type you're describing is actually making matters worse, politically speaking. In the super-long-term maybe we can reform our government to rebalance the way we determine representation in Congress and reform (or get rid of) the Electoral College, but sorting is happening now, with the political systems we have today, not the ones we might aspire to.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I know but it's more entertaining than listening to you blabber on about the liberal version of FYGM.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Supraluminal posted:

Well there's no political will to turn the coastal megalopoli into liberal walled city-states surrounded by 24/7 Hunger Games either. And there are various forms of cash transfer already in effect at the federal level, like the EITC. Pretty sure Clinton has talked about beefing that up, and it actually gets a degree of bipartisan support (or has historically anyway).

I said I didn't want to get into the rural depopulation discussion, but I will pop this NYT article in here. Gives a pretty good overview of why geographic sorting of the type you're describing is actually making matters worse, politically speaking. In the super-long-term maybe we can reform our government to rebalance the way we determine representation in Congress and reform (or get rid of) the Electoral College, but sorting is happening now, with the political systems we have today, not the ones we might aspire to.
The title "Go Midwest, Young Hipster" is dumb and not a little infuriating, as though the current state of things is because of us selfish and liberal millennials who insist on living in a place where we're not actively hated and antagonized. "Oh, these poor rural areas are degrading because they've made it absolutely toxic for anyone who isn't over 55 and white to live there - why don't these selfish youngsters try to make them better by living there anyway?" :qq: gently caress this poo poo.

How about blaming the people doing the hating and the antagonizing for once? Is that too unAmerican?

lol "this town used to be loving garbage BUT LOOK WE THREW ON A FRESH COAT OF PAINT AND MADE SOME CRAFT BEERS" this is a really bad article friend

I know but it's more entertaining than listening to you blabber on about the liberal version of FYGM.
It's really more like "gently caress you I'm giving it to someone else who will put it to better use and not wish death upon me for it", but whatever.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 25, 2016

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Kilroy posted:

The title "Go Midwest, Young Hipster" is dumb and not a little infuriating, as though the current state of things is because of us selfish and liberal millennials who insist on living in a place where we're not actively hated and antagonized. "Oh, these poor rural areas are degrading because they've made it absolutely toxic for anyone who isn't over 55 and white to live there - why don't these selfish youngsters try to make them better by living there anyway?" :qq: gently caress this poo poo.

How about blaming the people doing the hating and the antagonizing for once? Is that too unAmerican?

lol "this town used to be loving garbage BUT LOOK WE THREW ON A FRESH COAT OF PAINT AND MADE SOME CRAFT BEERS" this is a really bad article friend

It's really more like "gently caress you I'm giving it to someone else who will put it to better use and not wish death upon me for it", but whatever.

Consider looking beneath the obnoxious surface/framing of the article to the mechanical point it's making. You don't have to like it, but it has political consequences that are loving up our country's ability to govern itself.

This isn't a question of assigning blame. At least, I find the question of who to blame to be much less interesting than the question of what the hell do we do to fix the problem?

If you just need a shoulder to cry on, yeah, we hear you. It sucks that there are a lot of people with regressive ideas out there, and it's extra-frustrating when they act in ways that we perceive to be self-defeating. I tear my hear out about it sometimes too.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Na saying "these guys don't like liberals so they get no help transitioning into the present" is liberal FYGM.

Guess what? Part of being an American means you don't get to agree with everyone and that's ok. The vast, vast majority of people in this country just want food, a roof, someone to bang, and whatever else supports that. They'll vote the way they think helps that. The GOP has done a mighty fine job convincing people to vote against their interest. You blabbering on about only helping areas that vote your way reeks of the stereotypical liberal urbanite that huffs their own farts. Your mindset offers zero help in fixing problems that arise due to rural poverty. You offer nothing convincing people to vote for themselves and not against.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

ErIog posted:

You're bad at evaluating sources/evidence. There's enough independent bits of confirmation in that Daily Beast story that it seems plausible based on the fact that there's multiple sources and past reporting connected to the claims. I'm not saying it's 100% confirmed, but that it deserves more investigation.

The claims from the guy who was also responsible for Bill Clinton Endorsed By Alien and Hillary Names Bigfoot as Running Mate I think maybe should be taken a little less seriously.

These are not the same thing at all.

The claims in the Daily Beast article come from two men who admit to having sex with underage girls. What's their credibility? Any more or less than a person who admits to being the liaison for Hillary's bisexual affairs?

Kilroy posted:

If the townspeople ignore the boy who cries wolf every day for 30 years, that doesn't mean they also have to ignore the little girl who screams that the inn is burning down when the inn is, in fact, visibly on fire and burning down.

The Daily Beast article offers no evidence other than accounts from two men who admit to having sex with underage girls. There is nothing damning in that article.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Mister Adequate posted:

I feel an incredible amount of anger over people like Chick so violently and disgustingly twisting religion in this sort of way. I'm an atheist, but I have a great belief in the value and importance of redemption and that pretty much everyone should, if they wish to attempt it, have the right to try and redeem themselves if circumstances allow it. It isn't up to me to dictate what that takes for any given individual, but I can surely say it's something that takes a huge amount of reflection, effort, and hard work. It isn't something that everyone gets a chance at, and even if you do it, not everyone will forgive you, and that is part of it all. My dad molested me when I was a kid and I doubt I could have ever forgiven him; but had he not drank himself to death, I could not in good conscience say he shouldn't have been allowed to try to appreciate the depths of what he did, and to try and find some way to redeem himself and make up for it.

And that is a powerful, deeply moving theme in many religions. If it helps a person who truly wants to do good, to be better, then more power to them! That's wonderful and I heartily applaud any work a religious institution or individual does to help people seeking that path, even if I might find a different one myself. But then you get to fuckers like Jack Chick, who act as though you can kneel down, say a prayer, and not only be wholly redeemed but have a switch flipped that turns you from a person who rapes and pimps out your own daughter into a good, decent father. That should be offensive to basically anyone and everyone, the religious most of all. In religion any serious effort at redemption is taken to involve much prayer and contemplation, yes, but it also tends to involve a great deal of temporal matters as well, whether that is good works, seeking forgiveness from your victim, confessing in a court of law and serving your time, etc. etc.. Most people who could reasonably be called redeemed are the sort of guy who has, for example, spent 40 years in prison for a crime committed aged 17, and has spent that time obeying the rules, studying, working to improve the prison library's stock, helping other prisoners, etc. etc., not just falling to his knees and invoking the name of Christ the King to attain immediate absolution. Chick's bullshit demeans religions who work hard to help sinners, he demeans people who have worked sincerely to redeem themselves, and he demeans victims by implying we should forgive as easily and readily as God and that our suffering can be erased with some prayer.

I guess the short version is that redemption, whatever that might be (I realize it's something of a trickier thing to describe it in secular terms but I'm too tired to get into that right now), requires a secular or at least temporal aspect as well as a spiritual one, even if you are religious.

I think this is a good post that should get more attention.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

vorebane posted:

I think this is a good post that should get more attention.

Hey, I'd like to tell you about this thing called sola fide... :viggo:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Na saying "these guys don't like liberals so they get no help transitioning into the present" is liberal FYGM.
It is, but "these guys hate liberals so much they vote to sabotage their programs wherever possible and their state-level offices are filled with politicians who block the help we try to get to them at every turn, so we'll deprioritize it for now" sounds a lot more reasonable doesn't it?

I mean I know I came on pretty strong with the hot takes, but for all the talk of "it's a tough, complex issue" some of you are really trying your hardest to make it sound stupidly easy and simple.

And by the way in light of your later posts it's now really weird to me that you wanted to know where I'm from in WA. Like, was it an attempt to let me know that I'm not from a really deep-red-enough part of the state (I am) and should therefore shut my mouth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
No one else for Robert Tressell's The ragged trousered philanthropists?

• Locked thread