Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

il serpente cosmico posted:

My answer is "kinda."

The first part of the DLC is absolutely tough, but the Farron Followers are easy to run past if you're banging your head against this part and want to just make it to the next checkpoint. As for the wolves, the hugeass one doesn't respawn after you kill it once. And the pack of wolves won't attack you so long as you stay away from them and don't attack them. They won't gang up on you unless you attack one of them, so just move through the area quickly an don't bother engaging them. I suppose I could have gone for backstabs but I'm a little rusty and they turn and move pretty quickly.

The part that I struggled with was against the viking bros. They hit really hard and my washing pole couldn't stagger them for poo poo. Once you collect everything in the area, though, it's pretty easy to run past it to the next bonfire.

So it's basically pointless then?

I took a left after the falling ice in the first area, through the million living trees and got to the second bonfire (rope bridge) before even engaging any vikings :v: I'm just trying to clear everything to see if there's something I'm missing and it's frustrating when there's so much (and difficult) stuff in a row with no bonfire. I've picked up all items and stuff, just haven't killed the big wolf for the second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
What seems like the most interesting new weapon in the DLC? I wanna respec because I got pretty bored of my build by the end of DS3.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crummelhorn posted:

What seems like the most interesting new weapon in the DLC? I wanna respec because I got pretty bored of my build by the end of DS3.

All of them :swoon: Seriously, the weapons are incredible.

I'm rocking the BATTLE TORCH for maximum swag right now :getin:. I went in with a high level quality build and so far I've been able to use almost all the weapons, and there seems to be a healthy mix of super dex heavy and super strength heavy weapons.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Your Computer posted:

I took a left after the falling ice in the first area, through the million living trees and got to the second bonfire (rope bridge) before even engaging any vikings :v: I'm just trying to clear everything to see if there's something I'm missing and it's frustrating when there's so much (and difficult) stuff in a row with no bonfire. I've picked up all items and stuff, just haven't killed the big wolf for the second time.

Yeah, that area just leads to the second bonfire that you already hit through the living trees. Once you clear all the items out, there's nothing else of note. The wolves just drop large titanite, so you aren't missing any good drops if you forgo one of them.

The large wolves are very week to bleed, btw. Triggering it once with a katana combo killed them. More BB callback?

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 25, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So the new pyromancy is completely worthless. It sounds cool until you realize the fireballs it fires have zero tracking so they never hit anything :geno:

Soral
May 30, 2009

Crummelhorn posted:

none of them are going to really blow your mind like bloodborne's dlc weapons would but the new rapier that comes with the offhand claw is pretty cool and the heavy str weapons all have cool skills.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

theres a lot of good stuff in the millwood encampment

Crummelhorn posted:

60 dex sharp crow quill + hornet ring = one shot riposte kills in the arena or 1 riposte + 1 hit if they have SP/good armor (every1 should be using the best sp ring they can get its so good)
the scythe is really fun and so is valorheart but valorheart you gotta be on your a game managing stamina

or get the other boss weapon whip yourself then use steady chant to hurl hyper armor sunlight spears into people for mmassive overkill while wearing a gimp mask and rear end less chaps

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i beat the dlc and im not really sure what happened or who anybody i met was besides the boss

where the gently caress did that kid go and what do they have to do with anything

i dont understand anything about the painted world, not even a little based on the descriptions of items because they make it sounds like the painted world is literally an entire universe with its own kingdoms and poo poo and not just a tiny slice of home for weirdos

edit:
i thought about it and they hosed up with the 2nd/optional boss. that should've been giantdad and not some random shithead

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 25, 2016

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
^^^absolutely should have been giantdad or a havelflipper

I've killed (bosses)friede and the pvp bro/wolfman; the gently caress am I supposed to go now? I've exhausted all dialogue, and the painter girl just keeps harping on about waiting for gael to find the dark soul

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

buildmorefarms posted:

^^^absolutely should have been giantdad or a havelflipper

I've killed (bosses)friede and the pvp bro/wolfman; the gently caress am I supposed to go now? I've exhausted all dialogue, and the painter girl just keeps harping on about waiting for gael to find the dark soul

I think you're done. I checked the wiki myself when I finished, and the DLC really is that short.

Very very good, but extremely short. Not really worth the money honestly.

Though the final boss' weapon is incredibly cool, someone please tell me it's actually good and respeccing into the right stats for it for when the second DLC comes out isn't a terrible idea.

e: what the gently caress the player version of the weapon is the lamest poo poo ever. From Software will be getting an extremely stern letter from me

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 25, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've barely even started the DLC but I was having a blast going through the wolves near the start when BIG OL' WOLF OUTTA NOWHERE! :neckbeard:

He doesn't come back when you go back through that way though :(

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Had my first real summon story with the DLC tonight. Got stuck pretty early on, at the first vikings. Summoned a guy who had his sign up at the first bonfire, and we got, I would guess, drat near the end. He led me through the whole thing, pointing to items, we survived 3 invasions, and were doing pretty well. Went through a town, and were climbing up a mountain. Then we got knocked off the mountain. I landed on a piece of geometry I don't think you're even supposed to be able to land on, but he went right off the side, right in front of my face.

I...think I'm done with this for the night.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So now that the DLC is up, I decided to reinstall this and play. But now my dual shock 4 won't work. It worked when I last played, none of the fixes I find online work anymore. Anyone have any solutions on what I can do to play this loving game again without having to resort to the god awful keyboard controls?

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
I decided to go through the DLC for the first time on NG+5 because I hate myself and holy poo poo the last boss was tough. Finally won with no estus left and about 1/4 health thanks to a timely backstab and wake-up R2 to seal the deal.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Nuebot posted:

So now that the DLC is up, I decided to reinstall this and play. But now my dual shock 4 won't work. It worked when I last played, none of the fixes I find online work anymore. Anyone have any solutions on what I can do to play this loving game again without having to resort to the god awful keyboard controls?

Have you somehow uninstalled\ not tried DS4windows?

This DLC is really reminding my of a recurring nightmare I'd have as a child were I'd be hunted by wolves in the forest at night. The atmosphere is great so far

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Give me permadeath, something else than ritual materials to discover and more variety in enemies and environments and I would play that game/mode.

I think it's a thing that doesn't belong in a Souls game. Both Bloodborne's main game and the Chalices suffered for the fact that they existed in the same product instead of each being their own thing. The main game felt a little too sparse compared to Dark Souls 1-3 (which would've been helped by having a couple more real areas with the Chalice bosses and loot in them), and the Chalices were underdeveloped and boring because they were an afterthought rather than the focus of the gameplay.

They would've both been individually stronger games.

Also grabbing the DLC later this week but I'm loving psyched that the Crow Quills are apparently great. Dex rules, rapiers rule, die in obscurity Estoc-haters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shoehead posted:

Have you somehow uninstalled\ not tried DS4windows?

This DLC is really reminding my of a recurring nightmare I'd have as a child were I'd be hunted by wolves in the forest at night. The atmosphere is great so far

I've been using DS4 windows. Turns out I have to have DS4windows actually running for the game to pick it up. :shrug:

Anyway all my saves are gone, so I had to start fresh. I guess this time I'll finally get around to doing my wizard playthrough and bumrush ocieros or whatever for my moonlight great sword.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 25, 2016

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
That was... pretty short. It felt a lot like the second DaS2 DLC only without the level design. The whole thing feels like a single area in the original game and even grabbing every item it was super short.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

cheetah7071 posted:

I think you're done. I checked the wiki myself when I finished, and the DLC really is that short.

Very very good, but extremely short. Not really worth the money honestly.

Though the final boss' weapon is incredibly cool, someone please tell me it's actually good and respeccing into the right stats for it for when the second DLC comes out isn't a terrible idea.

e: what the gently caress the player version of the weapon is the lamest poo poo ever. From Software will be getting an extremely stern letter from me

Argh, just did the same re: wiki and you're right.
I did miss the illusory wall, but apart from that I had already done all there was to do.

That really was short!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait is there only two bosses?

Fereydun posted:

i beat the dlc and im not really sure what happened or who anybody i met was besides the boss

where the gently caress did that kid go and what do they have to do with anything

i dont understand anything about the painted world, not even a little based on the descriptions of items because they make it sounds like the painted world is literally an entire universe with its own kingdoms and poo poo and not just a tiny slice of home for weirdos

I like that they're tying the Forlorn to it though I'm not sure that makes any sense from how DS2 described them. So far what I've got is that the painted world was a home for the weary and outcasts, and that it actually avoided the rot and hollowing (unless you came in like that) of the world, until recently. They elected to kill themselves in fire but someone stopped them (the first ashen one there I guess) and now a second ashen one (you) is there to help finish things.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Definitely really short, but I think its justified considering the pvp stuff added. Its just that not everyone is gonna care about pvp.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I'm pissed that there was no forlorn set.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
DLC was great however I am not convinced the arena was worth it because its fun right now but, as soon as the population drops its going to take forever to get matches.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So can someone walk me through what I missed? Here's my order of progression:

Wolf forest -> Viking ruins w/tower -> chased by wolves from there to the snowbank that collapses before the second bonfire -> Ariandel Chapel -> backtrack to Birdman Township -> kill whathisface and find painter girl -> confusing cliffs full of Followers -> gross fly basement -> illusory wall and grosser fly basement -> illusory wall and Priscilla's old pad -> pull lever in fly basement to unlock Friede & Ariandel

I hear you say there's a second boss? If it's before the boss I got to at the end of the above spoilers I have no idea where.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Deified Data posted:

Wolf forest -> Viking ruins w/tower -> chased by wolves from there to the snowbank that collapses before the second bonfire -> Ariandel Chapel -> backtrack to Birdman Township -> kill whathisface and find painter girl -> confusing cliffs full of Followers -> gross fly basement -> illusory wall and grosser fly basement -> illusory wall and Priscilla's old pad -> pull lever in fly basement to unlock Friede & Ariandel

I hear you say there's a second boss? If it's before the boss I got to at the end of the above spoilers I have no idea where.

Cut the rope bridge in front of the chapel and climb down it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Deified Data posted:

Boss location spoilers:

From the Depths of the Painting bonfire you go to the right until there's a short drop and the second boss is in that little arena like area

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I would not have found that, thanks.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
oh my god valorheart is loving incredible

it has so much range, it has so many blocking frames, you can TRADE WITH BIG WEAPONS because YOU'RE ALWAYS BLOCKING

AAAAAAAA

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its the sickest dlc weapon for sure.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Sakurazuka posted:

Not locking on helped me with the wolves, I usually always do with small fast enemies but you end up whiffing as they jump away when you attack, and just whack whichever one is closest to you.

Oh, the wolves were easy, they were just tedious. Incredibly, obnoxiously tedious. They'll chase you forever too.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
There any Titanite slabs in the new DLC area? I kinda exhausted all slab locations on this +2 NG, and this new weapon sounds like it's worth levelling.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

There any Titanite slabs in the new DLC area? I kinda exhausted all slab locations on this +2 NG, and this new weapon sounds like it's worth levelling.

There are three slabs in the DLC

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Can I have B team back? B team never sicked infinite wolves on me, they never had a weird quasi-boss fight turn into a giant dog biting me through a wall four times as I tried to run away. The no fall damage leap of faith on the jagged rocks was neat and all but again undershadowed by Sif 2.0 eating me down every step. I get it they are super proud of Bloodborne but if they keep throwing enemies from it at me is it too much to ask for a bloody shotgun to even the odds a smidge?

Fun times, this dlc, it is a culmination of every bad enemy from every zone you hate doing then liberally sprinkled with hulked out Nords fellows who took a wrong turn at High Hrothgar. Rolling with 1950 health and having a dude straight up remove 3/4's of it when a giant axe came through the wall was kind of the exclamation point.

The only upside is invaders are having an equally miserable time thanks to the giant seeds. Spawn at bonfire, pop fingers and seed, sit at bonfire, 45 minutes and 20 some odd invaders later and I had yet to see even one.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So there's an elevated rise of land with an item on top in the gross swamp full of dying Corvians. I see there's a wooden platform in the tower from the opposite end you're supposed to jump from but I don't know how to get up there.

Feonir posted:

Can I have B team back? B team never sicked infinite wolves on me, they never had a weird quasi-boss fight turn into a giant dog biting me through a wall four times as I tried to run away. The no fall damage leap of faith on the jagged rocks was neat and all but again undershadowed by Sif 2.0 eating me down every step. I get it they are super proud of Bloodborne but if they keep throwing enemies from it at me is it too much to ask for a bloody shotgun to even the odds a smidge?

Fun times, this dlc, it is a culmination of every bad enemy from every zone you hate doing then liberally sprinkled with hulked out Nords fellows who took a wrong turn at High Hrothgar. Rolling with 1950 health and having a dude straight up remove 3/4's of it when a giant axe came through the wall was kind of the exclamation point.

The only upside is invaders are having an equally miserable time thanks to the giant seeds. Spawn at bonfire, pop fingers and seed, sit at bonfire, 45 minutes and 20 some odd invaders later and I had yet to see even one.

Sorry you're having a bad time. Ariandel is probably From's best level design work outside of Bloodborne.

B-team got a lot of things right mechanically but I wouldn't include level design or enemy placement as one of their strengths.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 25, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I only got to the zone with like 20 wolves and tree ladies that Itano-circus you with fireballs because I rushed the DLC at like +3 weapon and level 30 and also it was 1 AM, but I'm loving it so far. The enemies are a serious threat but I feel sure I can take them when I have a stronger weapon, they don't have buttloads of health (at least so far) just plenty of damage and teamwork. The painted world looks great, beautiful and menacing. The way the wolves stalk you, howl, and fan out to pincer-attack you gives me the creeps. Couldn't help but laugh the first time a javelin came flying out of the mist and nailed me in the forehead.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Feonir posted:

is it too much to ask for a bloody shotgun to even the odds a smidge?

you just made me realize the one thing I never knew I wanted out of a souls game

I want to cosplay ash from evildead

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Why are all the DLC weapons so amazing. Making it too hard to choose!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Freaking Crumbum posted:

you just made me realize the one thing I never knew I wanted out of a souls game

I want to cosplay ash from evildead

Whirligig Saw + Blunderbus in Bloodborne.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fereydun posted:

edit:
i thought about it and they hosed up with the 2nd/optional boss. that should've been giantdad and not some random shithead

The Painted Worlds are microcosms of the main world. In time they begin to rot and decay (Ariandel being the mere scrap Gael shows you when you enter it), but unlike the outside world the denizens do not true and futilely prolong it's existence but instead commit self-immolation. By burning their world away utterly they create the inspiration needed for one among them to paint another world which will go on to house new life. This time, however, it's interrupted by Sister Friede who probably seems the act of self-immolation as akin the the linking of the fire, and so fights against it by convincing/probably tricking Ariandel from doing that, and instead just having them rot away slowly. At the end of the DLC it's implied that the young painter girl goes on to paint the world of Ariamis from DS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think I've made a grave tactical error: