Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

SRM posts pictures of his pretty man dolls and I am mad he has man dolls for all his special mans. At least the new direction they are taking is consistent and looks good.

That won't cure us, it's rooted too deep to remove now. Bitter within, Bitter without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
So I'm just looking at the new Word Bearers rite in boom 6 - the one that lets you take Gal Vorbak as troops and give drop pods to everyone - and noticed there's nothing restricting it to Traitors like the new Night Lord or Emperor's Children rites.

So, that's interesting. Most likely an oversight, but handy if you want to run a drop pod oriented loyalist Word Bearers force. Probably not an awful lot of loyalist Gal Vorbak hanging around, though.

Shazaminator fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 24, 2016

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

There ain't no such thing as loyalist Word Bearers.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

I made the same mistake once when looking through the rules and seeing that none of the named characters or special units for Word Bearers had the "Traitors only" special rules. Then my friend pointed out that the Word Bearers themselves have the traitors only special rule applied to everything.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

DJ Dizzy posted:

Are you a fan of scythes?

This is an important question.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

Yeah, this thing's dead sexy.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I've been waiting for custodes since 30k was announced, before we even know custodes were coming, so this is extremely my poo poo

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those guass rifle things would look great on a dodo dread

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
You can take my Anvillus battery from my cold dead hands

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm thinking a replacement for the lascannon things

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

This is an important question.

Scythes are a thing of beauty, I love the Grim Reaper look.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

SRM posts pictures of his pretty man dolls and I am mad he has man dolls for all his special mans. At least the new direction they are taking is consistent and looks good.
What can I say, they wanted to get the best legion out of the way first :agesilaus:

Speaking of, I forgot to post pictures of them from Armies on Parade:

I got silver; I think I would have gotten gold but the Necron guy brought a way nicer display board than me that I think really cinched it:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Shazaminator posted:

So I'm just looking at the new Word Bearers rite in boom 6 - the one that lets you take Gal Vorbak as troops and give drop pods to everyone - and noticed there's nothing restricting it to Traitors like the new Night Lord or Emperor's Children rites.

So, that's interesting. Most likely an oversight, but handy if you want to run a drop pod oriented loyalist Word Bearers force. Probably not an awful lot of loyalist Gal Vorbak hanging around, though.

They're pretty much the only traitor Legion not able to really be loyalist as they get none of their special rules. They had too long in the Eye and on the Pilgrimage to have any loyalist elements left.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I was going to get back into 40k but my group has talked me into doing 30k instead, I'm torn between redoing my imperial fists from scratch or going death guard. I know fists will be bolters and more bolters. And I know death guard are rad and phosphex weapons all over. Is that it or are thier more toys worth taking for each one?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This was covered in the last page or so. Some good posts.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I was going to get back into 40k but my group has talked me into doing 30k instead, I'm torn between redoing my imperial fists from scratch or going death guard. I know fists will be bolters and more bolters. And I know death guard are rad and phosphex weapons all over. Is that it or are thier more toys worth taking for each one?

The Fists are pretty much vanilla space marines+. Phosphex is a fun way to mess with objectives but I'm not sure how much better Death Guard's Phosphex is.

I really like the Sons of Horus and their aggressive close combat focus (both shooting and brawling). I've set aside some MKIV marines and drop pods to paint green once I finish my main Fist force.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

DG don't really have "better" phosphex. If anything, they've got better flame weapons with Chem-munitions. They're a bit more resistant to phosphex and other poison/fleshbane weapons as they get a 4+ FNP against them.

They do, however, have some of the best termi weapons in the form of the power scythes. The -1 I penalty isn't that bad considering their AP2 will hit before most other AP2 weapons.

They also have easier access to rad grenades with The Reaping ROW.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know their focus is on getting Book VII out but have they said anything about similar delays in Book VIII? I'm hoping that would have the final BA/DA rules in it and I'm kind of up in the air about which one to go with.

I mean I kind of lean towards Blood Angels now and then but then I remember the cost of 30k jump packs.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 25, 2016

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Blood Angels get +1 to Wound in CC across the board. While assault marines are pretty drat good for the cost tactical squads with the extra CCW would still kick all kinds of arse with that bonus.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Besides, assault marines are good now

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know their focus is on getting Book VII out but have they said anything about similar delays in Book VIII? I'm hoping that would have the final BA/DA rules in it and I'm kind of up in the air about which one to go with.

They havent even begun to work on VIII. They said it's definitely not coming out in 2017.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

DJ Dizzy posted:

They havent even begun to work on VIII. They said it's definitely not coming out in 2017.

Oh, really? Honestly that could be a really good thing--lets them catch up with production, have a good long experimental rules test period, do an Imperial Armour, etc. And it gives me time to catch up on my purchases, including the books themselves.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

And make some more Iron Warriors kits

lol

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Would I be considered insane for wanting to make a zone mortalis board that's the outside hull of a ship. Can break up the LoS with gun ports, the statuary, ripped up armor plates from ordinance or a impassible hole from a lance strike.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 26, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I, on the other hand, want my legion's actual rules. Keep the books rolling. :argh:

Seriously though, Forge World seems overwhelmed right now. They could use some downtime to catch up. I think the Custodes tank is the one of the first new sculpts we've seen in a long time, right? I mean, how long were the Mastodon and Stormbird teased? Maybe with some of those huge models out of the way we'll see some infantry again. Those weapon upgrades probably should've been out a while ago too. I seem to recall some mention that they lost a couple of their mold makers in a car accident (?) earlier this year and that that has been leading to a lot of delays which is totally understandable. I know I heard that on some 30k podcast.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Is anyone going to the open day? I'm going with a friend on the Sunday. I'm tempted to pickup the custodes deodetank for a small allied detachment for my fists. Maybe.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Sulecrist posted:

Oh, really? Honestly that could be a really good thing--lets them catch up with production, have a good long experimental rules test period, do an Imperial Armour, etc. And it gives me time to catch up on my purchases, including the books themselves.

They pushed back IA 14 for book VII. They lost a couple of their sculptors/mold-makers in a car accident. So yeah.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

They pushed back IA 14 for book VII. They lost a couple of their sculptors/mold-makers in a car accident. So yeah.

Holy poo poo really?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
They were responsible for the Iron Warrior upgrade kit

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

Holy poo poo really?
Two goons have mentioned it this page so it must be true.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Hencoe posted:

Would I be considered insane for wanting to make a zone mortalis board that's the outside hull of a ship. Can break up the LoS with gun ports, the statuary, ripped up armor plates from ordinance or a impassible hole from a lance strike.

Sounds awesome and there used to be rules specifically for this. For that kind of board I would use the Cold Void optional ZM rules and the old zero gravity rule or something similar. The 0G rules where something like all running moves, assault moves or 7"+ moves count as moving through dangerous terrain without saves of any kind (representing flying off into space), if you really want to have some fun with it allow void capable flyers in the game but remove the ability to Jink (too much space debris around or something).

krursk fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 26, 2016

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Hencoe posted:

Technically speaking ZM rules specifically represent narrow spaces like the inside of a spaceship, fighting on the outside of a spaceship's hull would be 'just' a themed regular battlefield (Having a ceiling makes a big difference for jump troops and the like). However the idea is cool as poo poo and you should totally do it - or what you could do is make it hybrid; say that you have about half total of the board's area as 'open' void on the outside of the ship and half are ZM space, as in, protrusions of the hull that've been breached into and use ZM rules.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
One of the HH books has specific rules for playing in and on spaceships. Unique stratagems too. I don't remember the exact details but there's definitely an outer hull battle setting and mission(s).

I made a "quick start" document to properly learn and play ZM since the books are pretty horrible. Once I'm back home I'll drop it here.

e: I need to ask, is anyone here in London? How's the HH scene there? Against my better judgement I may or may not be accepting a job there. Hail Britannia.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 26, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

While I don't play myself, I think Lord Twisted and at least one other goon play at Dark Sphere near Waterloo. Store is okay, nothing special, staff just about tolerable.

God help your senses if you go during a MTG day in winter, the humidity and body odour physically manifest into some sort of champion of nurgle.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

I'm based in East London, I'm part of an informal heresy fb group with 8 or so people, we know at least half a dozen more who play heresy.

HATE (Hackney Area tabletop enthusiasts) are a nice bunch but weds eve doesn't work for me. Quite loud tho, takes getting used to.

I play a lot at Dark Sphere as it's convenient. Decent place, some weirdos but it's a hobby shop you don't expect smooth talkers.

If you take a job there hit me up in PMs I promise I won't be weird.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

No wonder we've never run into each other, I'm in West London and hardly ever around that area.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

Technically speaking ZM rules specifically represent narrow spaces like the inside of a spaceship, fighting on the outside of a spaceship's hull would be 'just' a themed regular battlefield (Having a ceiling makes a big difference for jump troops and the like). However the idea is cool as poo poo and you should totally do it - or what you could do is make it hybrid; say that you have about half total of the board's area as 'open' void on the outside of the ship and half are ZM space, as in, protrusions of the hull that've been breached into and use ZM rules.

Well I'm thinking it's going to be the side of the ship, instead of the top. So everything will be turned 90 degrees, with imperial ships being cathedrals in space I'm pretty sure I can make it dense enough to be a good ZM board with the "ceiling" being flying off into the void. I know there's "Blood in the void" rule but I've never seen them used. I'm pretty sure there's a chapter of "Know no Fear" that is this exact scenario.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

loving do it mate. Use the existing rules and maybe some modifiers. Would flamers work the same? Shrapnel?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Let's pretend prometheum can burn without oxygen, and then imagine a cloud of burning death flying off forever into space until it burns itself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
One of the plot points in Know No Fear actually is that Imperial ships can fill a thin 'skin' around them with breathable air, kept in by force fields - this makes things like repainting the hull easier when you don't need specialized void gear for it. (If you end up boosting yourself outside of the bubble without a voidsuit, though, you're proper hosed).

I also wouldn't put it past the Imperium to figure out self-oxygenated fuels (like thermite, in real life - the compound contains its own oxygen so it'll actually happily burn underwater or in a vacuum!)