Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
You're going to be seriously limited in what you can use on PS4. No external assets (meaning mods have to use assets that ship with the game) and mods have to be under 1 GB. This eliminates most of the popular survival/needs mods, since they all use external assets. I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not aware of any mods that have implemented survival/needs mechanics using only in-game assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
lol modding on consoles.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Maybe somebody can mod in a crying sound for console players. :smug:

Seriously, though, double-gently caress sony on this.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Skyrim PS4 Modding Thread: Just Spent 10 Minutes Modding, Time to Play

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

They hosed console users so that one guy who wanted to write virus mods for console users doesn't have to.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

marktheando posted:

Will hardcore/survival mode mods be possible on PS4? That and being able to dress up my companions properly are the main things I wanted when I heard mods are coming to console.
No on the hardcore/survival mode. At least I'm not aware of any method of implementing that sort of functionality that does not require scripts.
Changing the followers' default outfits to be unequippable is perfectly doable though.

GunnerJ posted:

They hosed console users so that one guy who wanted to write virus mods for console users doesn't have to.
:ohdear: I'm so sorry PS4-players. Honestly, I was just making a stupid PC-master race joke.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 25, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

marktheando posted:

Will hardcore/survival mode mods be possible on PS4? That and being able to dress up my companions properly are the main things I wanted when I heard mods are coming to console.
All of this is possible. The question is whether or not anyone making these things will arbitrarily limit themselves so they will fit in the PS4 'footprint'.

All of them will generally require very complex modifications. Some of it already exists, but think about it. If you were to make one of those modifications personally, you probably have a PC that can already play the game. If you are in that position, why would you self impose the limitation?

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
https://imgur.com/gallery/dUOqa

Whatevs on your consoles....

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Is it at all feasible to implement SPERG without requiring SKSE? I hope this is not a dumb question (but it probably is.)

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

I think we can all agree: gently caress Aerin

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Is it at all feasible to implement SPERG without requiring SKSE? I hope this is not a dumb question (but it probably is.)

Most likely yes. You'd have to make massive edits to everything scripted, lose the configurability of the MCM, basically rebuild the mod from the ground up.

That said, Ordinator's pretty decent and doesn't require SKSE.

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Trustworthy posted:

I think we can all agree: gently caress Aerin

You're doing it wrong: Secretly kill Aerin early on and leave the body in Riften's canals.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm interested in playing Skyrim again in a few weeks when I have time. Looking at the last few pages it looks like if I want to use the current set of mods as we know them, I'm better off just giving classic Skyrim a good visual overhaul(like STEP) and using that, since most of the mods I like will be fundamentally incompatible until if/when SKSESE is released. Is this correct?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Viperix posted:

I'm interested in playing Skyrim again in a few weeks when I have time. Looking at the last few pages it looks like if I want to use the current set of mods as we know them, I'm better off just giving classic Skyrim a good visual overhaul(like STEP) and using that, since most of the mods I like will be fundamentally incompatible until if/when SKSESE is released. Is this correct?

yes, that's the gist of it

asset overwrites like textures will probably work out of the box, .esp mods that wrangle the engine as expected by the creation kit will need a quick processing through the new CK to be compatible and script extension is back to square one and out of action until a lot of work happens

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I realized the other day that I have never played Skyrim without SPERG. Literally never. I have no idea what the vanilla skill trees look like, aside from probably bad.

SE is going to be weird.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Psion posted:

I realized the other day that I have never played Skyrim without SPERG. Literally never. I have no idea what the vanilla skill trees look like, aside from probably bad.

SE is going to be weird.

Ain't no party like a vanilla party, cause a vanilla party never stops crashing.

Seriously, I could maybe live without SKSE mods, but not even being able to use a decent mod manager right out of the gate pretty much means I'm not modding SE at all for a while. Still, Mod Picker is currently on track to public release on November 1, so I might amuse myself by uploading and reviewing mods and watch the mod authors get all indignant.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I still can't believe there are some of those fuckers who want the possibility of people saying stuff about their mods on another website to be opt-in.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

I still can't believe there are some of those fuckers who want the possibility of people saying stuff about their mods on another website to be opt-in.

I liked the guy on the reddit MP Beta thread who kept ineffectually pleading to people to "please, only upload mod info if you have the mod authors' explicit permission? please???".

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Seriously what the hell is wrong with these people.

I would be interested to know who has pre-emptively banned mention of their mods on MP and who does so after it launches. I might find an actual use for that blog I started. :v: (It still exists! And you can write on it if you want to!)

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

Seriously what the hell is wrong with these people.

I would be interested to know who has pre-emptively banned mention of their mods on MP and who does so after it launches. I might find an actual use for that blog I started. :v: (It still exists! And you can write on it if you want to!)

I know at least Arthmoor has. Mator has confirmed that when he answered why the Unofficial Patch(es) weren't in the system.

EDIT: Alright, reddit unfucked itself, so I'm just gonna post the link to thread for when the beta started. Search for the comments by _Robbie for aforementioned passive-aggressive hilarity. Also, re:arthmoor being a petulant pissbaby:

Thallassa posted:

But yeah what mator said. Arthmoor specifically asked that we NOT have any of his mods on the site, so no USLEEP for now

Mator posted:

Also, please hold off on submitting USLEEP. We want Arthmoor's go ahead before putting it on Mod Picker.

Kerning Chameleon fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 25, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The patches are an interesting case though because that's not just Arthmoor. There's a whole team, isn't there?

It seems on the surface of it that not having the patches available for discussion in MP will make a number of things difficult...

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

GunnerJ posted:

The patches are an interesting case though because that's not just Arthmoor. There's a whole team, isn't there?

It seems on the surface of it that not having the patches available for discussion in MP will make a number of things difficult...

Are you perhaps suggesting that Arthmoor would throw his weight around in an attempt to strangle a project he doesn't like in the crib? :monocle:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Why do people not just publicly 'pirate' him left right and centre? He has no legal claim to any of his mods

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

GunnerJ posted:

You mean, like compatibility discussions. "My mod is fully compatible with 'that common patch'." It will be like advertisers avoiding the term "Super Bowl" and referring to it as "The Big Game."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Are you perhaps suggesting that Arthmoor would throw his weight around in an attempt to strangle a project he doesn't like in the crib? :monocle:

Well that's what's interesting about it. That or the possibility that everyone on the team is on board/no convincing or cajoling needed.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ynglaur posted:

You mean, like compatibility discussions. "My mod is fully compatible with 'that common patch'." It will be like advertisers avoiding the term "Super Bowl" and referring to it as "The Big Game."

It's worse than that: many mods have the Unofficial Patch as a master. Mator himself had to write a script so people could update old mods to use USLEEP as a master instead of the old patches. From what I've read, uploading a Mod to MP requires you to also explicitly state which masters the files have, and I think they also need to be in the system for this to work.

So Arthmoor isn't just banning his Unofficial Patches, he's also banning any mod that uses the patch(es) as a master.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

Why do people not just publicly 'pirate' him left right and centre? He has no legal claim to any of his mods

They don't? I was sure that as long as /r/modpiracy exists, they're have his mods and others. What's going on here is that you can't even really mention how the patches work with whatever list of mods you describe on MP. Because that's thing thing, you don't upload anything to it. You're just writing stuff about mods.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lets kill arthmoor

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Seriously, I could maybe live without SKSE mods, but not even being able to use a decent mod manager right out of the gate pretty much means I'm not modding SE at all for a while.

Skyrim Special Edition: released in 2016, modding like it's 1999

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

scamtank posted:

yes, that's the gist of it

asset overwrites like textures will probably work out of the box, .esp mods that wrangle the engine as expected by the creation kit will need a quick processing through the new CK to be compatible and script extension is back to square one and out of action until a lot of work happens

Actually, according to reports it changes texture and model formats somewhat, and while older ones work they add a notable performance hit!

Seriously, I could maybe live without SKSE mods, but not even being able to use a decent mod manager right out of the gate pretty much means I'm not modding SE at all for a while.

Hilariously, for at least a while, your bet bet for SE mod manager will probably be Wrye Bash! Arthmoor is temporarily correct.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh, balls. Yeah custom animations were entirely hosed too, now I remember.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dunno how new and fresh this is but Brodual has a video out about what mods should probably be working at the launch of the SE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqhd375zf1E

eta: lol "due to copyright issues, abandoned mods can't be updated!"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah. :colbert:

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Psion posted:

SE is going to be weird.

Bethesda's philosophy on perk design is that they don't understand how to design perks. In every tree, you will find a mandatory perk tree/stack that does the exact same thing as leveling the skill does.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Psion posted:

SE is going to be weird.

I launched skyrim without using mod organizer the other day.

That non modded UI still haunts my dreams, I won't bother playing SE until SkyUI shows up again.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Ordinator is a pretty good overhaul, and if you're not going to use SPERG, it's probably the best one to use anyways. I do kind of miss that one Speech 20 (Good Listener) perk from SPERG that essentially let you train infinitely per level though, combined with harsh Trade & Barter settings and Honed Metal, it sort of changed the way I played and made me actually spend my money.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Updated!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Colgate posted:

Ordinator is a pretty good overhaul, and if you're not going to use SPERG, it's probably the best one to use anyways. I do kind of miss that one Speech 20 (Good Listener) perk from SPERG that essentially let you train infinitely per level though, combined with harsh Trade & Barter settings and Honed Metal, it sort of changed the way I played and made me actually spend my money.

That's actually really simple to mod in there, you probably could even do it with tht console.

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

Skyrim SE pre-load is up on steam.

:getin:

GunnerJ posted:

eta: lol "due to copyright issues, abandoned mods can't be updated!"

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Where did they get that font