Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

DrPop posted:

I'm getting a lot of Beyond Earth vibes from this and it's a bummer. Lots of potential, but it seems really disconnected and stale. Lots of "Next turn."

Play on the "Online" speed if you find this an issue. Much more happens on a given turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There are definitely some questionable (or straight up bad) design decisions here but bringing an end to Wonder Factory Capitals is not one of them.

It is a good thing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I kinda feel like the wonder tile yields should be much higher. +2 culture for the Pyramids is highly underwhelming.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DrPop posted:

I'm getting a lot of Beyond Earth vibes from this and it's a bummer. Lots of potential, but it seems really disconnected and stale. Lots of "Next turn."

Hey now, for all of its issues, Beyond Earth's UI wasn't even half this bad! Despite it having a lot of grey text on black and an almost unreadable corner map, BE at least showed off all the data and mechanics right there in front of the player, and with a far more helpful Civolopedia.

And BE had some good ideas in its sea of mediocrity. Mainly the wonders on tiles outside cities and more in-depth spy options, that I'm glad to see were ported over. And many of the more lousy ones were dropped.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I would say that every major gameplay change is a good idea, if not currently well-executed. We're not anywhere near the broken mess that CIV BE was with completely obviously broken central gameplay features.

I would say the most pressing issues are, in order:
1. UI problems. (undocumented features, loading the leader screen everytime someone doesn't like that you've built/done something, AUTO-FOCUS, etc.)
2. unbalanced civ powers (only a problem for multiplayer really, but that's a big problem.)
3.exploits (deforesting a continent to boost production in the capital, scythian money making off of horses.)
4. unintended consequences of new mechanics. (It's weird and unintuitive that people not focusing on tech are getting to mars inthe 1800s due to the way boosts work. I think a cap on the amount of active boosts you can have per research era might keep micromanaging players from absolutely stomping the tech race.)
5. New Tech Quotes DLC.
6. better AI. (I don't expect firaxis to ever actually do this, but hopefully mod support will change this in the coming years.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Really hate rebellion in cities. I am trying to take Kongo out because they are super advance but have poo poo units (outside of AT Infantry), but London wants to rebel. And unlike Kongo poo poo units, they spawn infantry that I don't have time to deal with right now. Would just make peace for a while, but Kongo for some reason wants all his cities back first, which isn't happening.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Impermanent posted:

5. New Tech Quotes DLC.

I'd be happy if they released a tiny patch, not even a single KB, who's line of text simply said "Replaced Kilamanjaro Discovery line."

Because holy poo poo that line isn't inspiring, funny or even "funny".

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of wonders, I'm a bit annoyed that pretty much all the late-game ones are focused on culture. Early on you have a really nice selection to boost your military, economy, faith, or to just improve your cities all around. But past the modern age you're down to, what? Cristo Redentor, Sidney Opera House, Eiffel Tower, and the Broadway, all of which are only relevant if you're shooting for a culture victory.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hello I am peter please come to glorious tundra

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

H13 posted:

New bug :(

The game sometimes won't load into the main menu. If I'm lucky and it does that, it won't load\create any new games. It does the whole speechy thing at the start, but then just sits there. I can't alt-tab out of the game or do anything and the only option is to restart.

It was working fine yesterday? Was there a patch last night or something?

No one replied to this but if you haven't figured it out yet you need to exclude your Civ 6 (or Steam) folder in Windows Defender.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of wonders, I'm a bit annoyed that pretty much all the late-game ones are focused on culture. Early on you have a really nice selection to boost your military, economy, faith, or to just improve your cities all around. But past the modern age you're down to, what? Cristo Redentor, Sidney Opera House, Eiffel Tower, and the Broadway, all of which are only relevant if you're shooting for a culture victory.

There's no other victory type where you would be focused on building wonders at that phase of the game, though. For domination obviously you would want to be building units / nukes. For science you're putting spaceport districts up and making GBS threads satellites. If you haven't won via religion at this point you've transitioned to a different victory condition. By the time you're in the late-game any time spent building a wonder for a non-cultural victory is completely wasted, and would be unless that wonder were game-changingly powerful, at which point that wonder winds up being mandatory for that victory, which shuts out players from pursuing those other tactics. Culture has so many wonders for it because it's a given that cultural victory focused players will be competing for them / sniping each other for them. For the other victories they would be distractions.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

One more minor quibble I have. Once you've researched all Techs, it really should just automatically select Future Tech. Like, why do I have to go into the tech selection screen when I have literally no choice. Similarly with Culture, except there isn't even a Future Tech equivalent (why isn't there one like, Search for Utopia or something like that?). I just want to finish my turns so my Mars parts can launch.

Edit: Lat game Wonder chat, I do think there should be at least one late game Domination wonder, like the Pentagon or something similar. Maybe another faster experience boost for all units, or all newly trained units get 1 promotion to start.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Alkydere posted:

After a while you lose the ability to build walls beyond the Ancient ones to enable attacks. You seem to get bonus defense for free though.

I do wonder if this makes the Monarchy bonus, the one that slowly builds as you keep the government type, useless. Since it relies on having Medieval walls.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Gully Foyle posted:

One more minor quibble I have. Once you've researched all Techs, it really should just automatically select Future Tech. Like, why do I have to go into the tech selection screen when I have literally no choice. Similarly with Culture, except there isn't even a Future Tech equivalent (why isn't there one like, Search for Utopia or something like that?). I just want to finish my turns so my Mars parts can launch.

Edit: Lat game Wonder chat, I do think there should be at least one late game Domination wonder, like the Pentagon or something similar. Maybe another faster experience boost for all units, or all newly trained units get 1 promotion to start.

Actually, for Culture, you get to repeat development on the last two things on the tree- Social Media and (IIRC) Globalization.

Yes, the future of culture is just endless iterations on Snapchat and McDonalds. I guess that explains some of the tech quotes.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Is there a way to make spies just permanently stationed in a city without having to reselect them every loving turn?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Taear posted:

I do wonder if this makes the Monarchy bonus, the one that slowly builds as you keep the government type, useless. Since it relies on having Medieval walls.
Monarchy's Legacy bonus that accumulates is bonus Influence per turn (for earning Envoys).
The Medieval Walls +2 Housing isn't rendered useless per se; as long as you have them built in a city, they still count regardless of whether you can build any more (you'll see that you have +2 Housing from Civics in a city with Medieval Walls in Monarchy).
Does mean that you'll want to get them all up before getting Civil Engineering, though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Alkydere posted:

I'd be happy if they released a tiny patch, not even a single KB, who's line of text simply said "Replaced Kilamanjaro Discovery line."

I hope for this too but when you load up the game you find every quote has been replaced with the Kilamajaro quote.

Also, for modders, I wonder how much Sean Bean's time for quote recording costs?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zomborgon posted:

Yes, the future of culture is just endless iterations on Snapchat and McDonalds.

:stonk:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Watching a Crossbowman being gunned down by a chopper is suitably brutal. Though one thing that needs serious work is the spy interface. It's so drat clunky and terrible to use, and it takes way to long to assign a spy. Plus you need to do it every so often!

Normally I spam wonders, but in this game I'm avoiding them unless they give a specific bonus that's actually useful.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I like that you have to keep making and personally managing builders to build your tile improvements.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Holy poo poo it takes so long to play a game as the Aztecs

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Holy poo poo it takes so long to play a game as the Aztecs

My first game was with Montezuma and took ~18 Hours. Prince, 8-player standard, domination, intentionally holding out to the information age, and going wide with about 30 cities by the end means a LOT of construction micromanagement.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

On Terra Firma posted:

Is there a way to make spies just permanently stationed in a city without having to reselect them every loving turn?

No. This is possibly my biggest peeve with the game right now because if you don't counter-spy your production districts WILL get sabotaged to poo poo. At least it's not quite as bad as Trade Route Hell in BE.

Both trade and spy screens need a "repeat last route until I decide otherwise" button and an overview window that shows you what your other traders and spies are doing.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Gort posted:

I kinda feel like the wonder tile yields should be much higher. +2 culture for the Pyramids is highly underwhelming.

I would agree with this. They take a very long time to build, you're at risk of getting no compensation if someone just about beats you to it, and the rewards seem pretty low for many of them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zomborgon posted:

Actually, for Culture, you get to repeat development on the last two things on the tree- Social Media and (IIRC) Globalization.

Yes, the future of culture is just endless iterations on Snapchat and McDonalds. I guess that explains some of the tech quotes.

I really wish I didn't have to keep selecting it every four turns

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I think I had a lot more fun playing release Civ V than I am with VI because even though it was a technical mess and a bad game, it had a lot more "newness" to it with the switch to a hex grid and the cool aesthetics. In addition, I feel like just the act of playing Civ V was more fun, it was crisper, and it didn't ship with broken basic functionality like edge scrolling, or a really laggy, bad-feeling auto switch functionality that you can't even turn off from the menu, or all the other weird UI implementations. I'm really regretting buying the game on release, I'm finding I have no desire to play more right now. The AI is also as unbelievably push-over awful as usual. :-\

I'm sure it will get better but for me it's a bummer right now.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This is basically BE with a worse UI. I think in the last 6 years there's been a few releases that moved this genre forward and a game with almost all of Civ 5s flaws is just so disappointing in 2016.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

This is basically BE with a worse UI. I think in the last 6 years there's been a few releases that moved this genre forward and a game with almost all of Civ 5s flaws is just so disappointing in 2016.

source your quotes please

also since it's come up a few times on this page you have to enable edge scrolling in the options which is i know, a difficult mental exercise for us all

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So as Brazil this is a pretty good start, right? That banana right next to my settler has a one hex river underneath it so I even have fresh water. :getin:

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Efexeye posted:

also since it's come up a few times on this page you have to enable edge scrolling in the options which is i know, a difficult mental exercise for us all

hey. dumbass. turn it on. then try to scroll up. now try to scroll southeast. ok, now you actually understand.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Efexeye posted:

I don't even edge pan, so thanks for fixing the UI for me you bizarre whiteknight.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Periodiko posted:

hey. dumbass. turn it on. then try to scroll up. now try to scroll southeast. ok, now you actually understand.

I've had it on since day one since I like to page through the options when I get a new game

saying this game is as objectively broken as BE was is a stupid thing to say, it's not white knighting to point that out

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"This game is good so saying it is bad is OBJECTIVELY wrong"

- A real person

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Periodiko posted:

I think I had a lot more fun playing release Civ V than I am with VI because even though it was a technical mess and a bad game, it had a lot more "newness" to it with the switch to a hex grid and the cool aesthetics. In addition, I feel like just the act of playing Civ V was more fun, it was crisper, and it didn't ship with broken basic functionality like edge scrolling, or a really laggy, bad-feeling auto switch functionality that you can't even turn off from the menu, or all the other weird UI implementations. I'm really regretting buying the game on release, I'm finding I have no desire to play more right now. The AI is also as unbelievably push-over awful as usual. :-\

I'm sure it will get better but for me it's a bummer right now.

Meanwhile in my first real game, a friend and I got savagely owned by a runaway Kongo who had like 110~ Science on turn 80 on Prince. We ended up making a last ditch effort to stop him but...yeah he was fielding tanks to our musketmen. It was bad.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
After a few days with the game (and one Prince/Standard speed game to completion) I like this Civ. But it's not exactly what I play Civ for.

Some dudes play Civ to min/max and treat it like a super Euro board game. And I get that and sometimes I play like that. But the reason I have several hundred hours Civ games over the past 20 years is because I want to play it like it's an emperor RPG. Civ IV was the apex game for that. Lots of things were abstracted but it was a game about managing an empire.

Civ VI is badly in need of a fat patch and an expansion pack like all new Civs but even if the game gets really tight I'm not sure it'll drag me away from Civ IV. There's so much dead time and empty turns, and the meaningful decisions are so few and far between. It's like a giant game of Agricola or something. It's the game-iest Civ game.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

"This game is good so saying it is bad is OBJECTIVELY wrong"

- A real person

that's what you took away from that exchange? wow

the dude said 'this is BE with a worse interface'

I said 'no it isn't, BE was objectively much more broken'

no one even mentioned 'good' or 'bad'

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

PirateBob posted:

I would agree with this. They take a very long time to build, you're at risk of getting no compensation if someone just about beats you to it, and the rewards seem pretty low for many of them.

The no-compensation part of wonders is easily the worst part of the game for me. I love building wonders and now it's "start game again" time if you fail an early one. Maybe on faster gametimes it's fine but losing 30 turns is just absolutely awful.

There's so many I have no ability to build though, or that are random. Like Stonehenge requiring stone nearby or Pyramids requiring desert means I've not yet even had chance to try the latter!

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Honestly I haven't even noticed the panning business. I've been using click-drag to pan around since Civ V because it's both easier and tighter after a very brief acclimation period. I think it was five minutes.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

Honestly I haven't even noticed the panning business. I've been using click-drag to pan around since Civ V because it's both easier and tighter after a very brief acclimation period. I think it was five minutes.

i mean, the guy is not wrong, the panning is lovely and fiddly as gently caress but it is you know, there

trying to snipe the button to check victory progress is frustrating as poo poo, or hit the government button. there is no doubt the UI is bad. i can't believe there's no scaling for 1920*1080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Efexeye posted:

that's what you took away from that exchange? wow

the dude said 'this is BE with a worse interface'

I said 'no it isn't, BE was objectively much more broken'

no one even mentioned 'good' or 'bad'

I took it that way because you are constantly and fervently white knighting the game against anyone who criticizes it.

Maybe stop doing that. Different opinions are ok.