Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
You mean these chill guys?

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/the-grand-alliance/images/c/c0/Silicoid.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140117035359

The ones who had a racial mechanic that tanked diplomacy, because their sheer ugliness started wars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I assume we're on for a game in a couple of hours?

My steam is: Errand Boy

If anyone who doesn't already have me on their friends list wants to add me. I assume we're going to discord this poo poo up?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
GenericOctopus on steam, in the steam group as well.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Game is made. Friend request to genericoctopus sent. ALready got the other guy on my friends list. 15 minutes until start time.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

https://discord.gg/cS7AU

Taipeigoons discord.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

spider wisdom posted:

I keep hoping one of the Endless games will incorporate a chill, hermetic race of rock dudes like the Silicoids from MoO. Stellaris has let me down too.

You did play Endless Space 1, right? The Harmony are pretty easygoing as an AI in my experience.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
GG, guys.

Everyone: "Is shared victory on?"
Slander: "Nah, don't think so.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Cthulu- Owned by the UN ending

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
GG guys; thanks to all who were a part of the Drakken alliance against the Morgawr menace.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
mgghhrrll

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Next time put the steam group notification up at the right time so people like me do not only learn about it while you're 2/3 done.

Riso fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 23, 2016

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Avasculous posted:

GG, guys.

Everyone: "Is shared victory on?"
Slander: "Nah, don't think so.

The AI that took over the Allayi for me won. Nice!

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Avasculous posted:

racial mechanic that tanked diplomacy

Hermits! Chill until you gently caress with them! Then they put some 500lb quartz on your face

Cythereal posted:

You did play Endless Space 1, right? The Harmony are pretty easygoing as an AI in my experience.

I'm not sure what I was playing when the first DLC came out, but I never spent a ton of time in ES1.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I have developed an unhealthy obsession with the Forgotten and am finding it somewhat difficult tokeep attention with other cool and fun races.

I want to conquer the seven seas and build beautiful towns and hoard more pearls Auriga has ever seen, but it's stronger than me. :smith:

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The /r/endlesslegend discord channel is pretty active. I've played a couple games from there.
https://discord.gg/B9B8n

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

I'll be down for a game same time next week. Got a hard start this time, but I'll get you all next time.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

I have developed an unhealthy obsession with the Forgotten and am finding it somewhat difficult tokeep attention with other cool and fun races.

I want to conquer the seven seas and build beautiful towns and hoard more pearls Auriga has ever seen, but it's stronger than me. :smith:

Speaking of the Forgotten faction, I HATE THEM WITH PASSION!
Those fuckers it's the 3rd game in a row that they completely ruin my kingdom: do you believe they keep sendin spy heroes (2 or 3 EVERY fuckin turn) and decimate my cities with the "Decrease Population" action?
Then when all my cities are all downgraded to level 1 or 2, other empires come and gang up on me 'till I die (or ragequit throwin away my keyboard....... ) :cry:

MAY GOD drat THEM ALL!!! :sassargh:

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

Knightsoul posted:

decimate my cities with the "Decrease Population" action?

Being on the receiving end of that sucks. There are so few ways of dealing with it in the early game.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Forgotten have weak units so punch them in the face.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Raphus C posted:

Forgotten have weak units so punch them in the face.

Have to find them first! :haw:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Speedball posted:

Have to find them first! :haw:

Their cities don't have stealth.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The facility that reduces influence income for other factions is the worst.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Knightsoul posted:

Speaking of the Forgotten faction, I HATE THEM WITH PASSION!
Those fuckers it's the 3rd game in a row that they completely ruin my kingdom: do you believe they keep sendin spy heroes (2 or 3 EVERY fuckin turn) and decimate my cities with the "Decrease Population" action?
Then when all my cities are all downgraded to level 1 or 2, other empires come and gang up on me 'till I die (or ragequit throwin away my keyboard....... ) :cry:

MAY GOD drat THEM ALL!!! :sassargh:

I think you don't quite understand how the spying system works; those forgotten heroes are allocated to your cities and can perform infiltration actions every couple of turns until you clear them out. Might be worth playing as them one time so you grok the system and can respond better. The forgotten heroes are pretty difficult to get rid of though, most of the time your searches will turn up nothing.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just got endless legend (emperor version) like two weeks ago when it was on sale. Ho boy, they're not kidding about the endless part. I've only finished one game so far. I think the OP is super bad. First of all it doesn't even mention all the races that are in the emperor version. It also doesn't cover the DLC, and what it provides. Finally, there should be some basic tips in there that aren't covered in the tutorial. Leveling up your districts and how trade routes work are a couple things that come to mind.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Safety Scissors posted:

I just got endless legend (emperor version) like two weeks ago when it was on sale. Ho boy, they're not kidding about the endless part. I've only finished one game so far. I think the OP is super bad. First of all it doesn't even mention all the races that are in the emperor version. It also doesn't cover the DLC, and what it provides. Finally, there should be some basic tips in there that aren't covered in the tutorial. Leveling up your districts and how trade routes work are a couple things that come to mind.

The emperor edition doesn't add a new race??? It adds the Ice warg minor faction, and a new drakken hero skin. Unless you're talking about the Mezari, which are identical to Vaulters aside from their heroes.

As for trade routes, they automatically happen when you research Imperial Highways and build the Right of Way improvement in your city. They'll automatically generate as more nearby cities build the Right of Way improvement.

Boroughs level up when there are 4 adjacent city expansion improvements beside them.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 25, 2016

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

berenzen posted:

As for trade routes, they automatically happen when you research Imperial Highways and build the Right of Way improvement in your city. They'll automatically generate as more nearby cities build the Right of Way improvement.

Boroughs level up when there are 4 adjacent city expansion improvements beside them.

To add to this:

Both cities require a Right of Way to form a trade route between them. Trade routes generate an amount of Dust and Science based on the distance and size of cities trading and trade routes are automatically remapped each turn for maximum income. Right of Way gives each city a maximum of one route, which can be increased by other technologies. Domestic trade is automatic, trading with other players requires a Commercial Agreement and adjacent colonized regions.

There's a bunch of technologies and upgrades that improve trade multiplicatively and it can easily become your primary source of income/research in the mid->late game, especially if you're Roving Clans.

Cities can also trade by sea with the Cargo Docks improvement, which the Morgawr get in Era II and everyone else gets in Era IV (?).

Leveling boroughs is very important, because each level 1 borough imposes a negative happiness modifier and it's very easy to tank your happiness by just building districts in every direction. Level 2 boroughs give a positive happiness modifier instead, cushioning the penalty of expanding. The cult alone can upgrade districts to level 3, everyone else caps them at 2.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 25, 2016

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I've been a fan of the 4x genre since Civilization 1, and Civilization holds a dear place in my heart. I've been playing Civilization 6, and think its a very good game, but find myself drawn back to Endless Legend. I think Amplitude may be the new kings of the genre and can't wait to see how Endless Space 2 shapes up.

With that said, one thing I have a hard time with in Endless Legend is maintaining peaceful relations with other factions, even when I play peacefully. Any insight on how AI diplomacy works in general?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The big thing with EL AI is it respects strength. If you want friends you need to carry the biggest stick.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

prometheusbound2 posted:

I've been a fan of the 4x genre since Civilization 1, and Civilization holds a dear place in my heart. I've been playing Civilization 6, and think its a very good game, but find myself drawn back to Endless Legend. I think Amplitude may be the new kings of the genre and can't wait to see how Endless Space 2 shapes up.

Endless Legend manages to have AI that conducts reasonable diplomacy and can semi-competently prosecute a war while at the same time Civ 6 buyers make the argument that better AI is literally impossible so I'd say Amplitude is doing a pretty good job.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

The Deleter posted:

The facility that reduces influence income for other factions is the worst.

Yes it is; except for when you take it and grab all the plans. They have made the facilities difficult to ignore which is good imo.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Chomp8645 posted:

Endless Legend manages to have AI that conducts reasonable diplomacy and can semi-competently prosecute a war while at the same time Civ 6 buyers make the argument that better AI is literally impossible so I'd say Amplitude is doing a pretty good job.

I wanted to echo this.

While I've enjoyed a few precious hours with Civ VI, my time with it really makes me appreciate the game that Endless Legend has become.

I think I'm going to let Civ VI marinate in a few expansions and fan patches before I hop back in with any real heart. I've been playing the series enthusiastically since it's creation but iterative software development seems to be beyond Firaxis.

Amplitude with their smaller size has allowed them to roll the dice in ways that breathe new life into the 4x genre. Which keep us grognards around and interested because really, where can the Civ franchise go after this?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

The big thing with EL AI is it respects strength. If you want friends you need to carry the biggest stick.

This is its only consideration as far as I can tell. Cowering friendship if you're stronger, obnoxious bullying if you're weaker. Which is honestly pretty competent as far as play style goes.

The one thing I envy from another game was the confederation aspect in GalCiv2, which probably had the best 4x AI I've seen. Basically if any empire (AI or human) got too strong, one of the AIs would do a whip around of all the other players to form an alliance against them.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

Agreed, it's really quite sad, Civ has no reason to improve when they get such preposterous white knights claiming that improvements other games in the genre already have are "technologically impossible". They're gonna polish the turd a little with the expansions but it will still have fundamentally broken core mechanics that render much of the game other features pointless.

Hopefully Endless Space 2 shapes up well, I'm skipping the early access/beta part this time just out of fatigue for the convention, but I'm really looking forward to the game itself.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Does anyone have solid advice for playing the Forgotten? They seem like they don't want to go very wide due to escalating spying costs, but maybe I'm overvaluing spying.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So is the best way to level districts is to build equilateral triangles? What happens when You can't do that?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Safety Scissors posted:

So is the best way to level districts is to build equilateral triangles? What happens when You can't do that?

A 2 hex wide Row style is slightly less efficient but not too far off. Sometimes they're much better if you get a long, narrow region.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Equilateral triangles have 3 level 1 districts, 2 hexes wide rows 4 level 1 districts. However, while expanding an equilateral triangle into a bigger one you have 4 level 1 districts as well and rows also get more exploited tiles. If you're only planning on getting 5 districts (10 pop) , stick with the triangle. I find rows better for big cities with a lot of districts, but food cost scaling for city growth is polynomial so you might not want to go bigger than size 10. Necros, Cult and Allayi are exceptions to this, of course.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Does anyone have solid advice for playing the Forgotten? They seem like they don't want to go very wide due to escalating spying costs, but maybe I'm overvaluing spying.

I migt make an effort post if I get the tjme (as I've said, I'm sort of obsessed with the faction). Any particular issues you're struggling with?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Staltran posted:

Equilateral triangles have 3 level 1 districts, 2 hexes wide rows 4 level 1 districts. However, while expanding an equilateral triangle into a bigger one you have 4 level 1 districts as well and rows also get more exploited tiles. If you're only planning on getting 5 districts (10 pop) , stick with the triangle. I find rows better for big cities with a lot of districts, but food cost scaling for city growth is polynomial so you might not want to go bigger than size 10. Necros, Cult and Allayi are exceptions to this, of course.

Just to muddy the waters there are also racial considerations:
Morgawr get huge advantages for hugging the coast, their sea tile exploitation is crazy. Peninsulas are mental.
Ardent Mages benefit from some crazy city designs to take advantage of their pillars, which is another reason why I will never choose them.

Also there is quite a few pop-free districts now (docks, pearl anomaly, pearl luxury/strategic extractors, pearl winter district, legendary buildings, Altar of Auriga) so it's not so black & white anymore. I think the expansions have done a good job of breaking up those rules; the basic principles still apply but I tend to think more about anomalies in the short-term since you can fill in the gaps more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah, in last weekend's MP game, the Morgawr spawned on a 3 tile wide peninsula. He got every wonder building except the Museum because his tiles were so good