Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

MF_James posted:

Yes monkee is right (he's always right btw), do not waste A gems as a heim nation, A will get you angry thunder and air elementals and quills oh my. If you add some S gems you can get yourself some ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

A nation that uses a lot of A, but it is OK to make corpse constructs? Caelum.

A to corpse man as Caelum is cool and good as you have a shitton of tstrike and a distinct lack of passable line troops to keep your mages from getting poked to death with sharp sticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

A to corpse man as Caelum is cool and good as you have a shitton of tstrike and a distinct lack of passable line troops to keep your mages from getting poked to death with sharp sticks.

that's why I said it, drat it monkee!!!!!!

Also yeah, the reason is because eagle kings can natively cast storm (with appropriate gem) which then allows all your other 2A guys to cast storm power and then t-strike without using gems. You can also recruit the 2D guys (well they are like 1A/1D/1?ADW) and do some skelly spam, but that's somewhat dependent on luck.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
If anyone knows how to contact Griffen please tell him bad nations 4 started and he needs to take his dang turn

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Thanks for the advice I started making quills instead with my excess gems and brought my research way up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
New LP-episode!

Not much happening. This is one of these turns...

ereror
Mar 12, 2013
After buying this game, reading up a bit, then dicking around a bit with the AI, this game seems like great fun. My layperson observations playing Shinuyama are that Bakemono Sorcerers seem really good because of how many different spells they have access to. At the same time, it's kind of annoying when you can't cast certain spells (banefiiiree) because none of your dudes rolled the correct paths, despite having a 1/4 chance of doing so. Oh well. I also ran into some awful luck since I went with that recommended erfsnek E6 pretender, only to have my starting position coincidentally spawn right next to the throne of winter. Which, as it turns out, makes everything so much colder my poor snake doesn't really want to move anymore.

One problem I kept running into is I would just straight up forget commanders or mages running around site searching/whatever for turns at a time, and this was without even taking days between turns like in multiplayer. Do you guys tend to keep notes on turns of any sort, or do you just kind of get better at keeping track of stuff? Actually, after asking that, I assume a lot of people probably still just forget lots of crap despite having played a lot. I think part of it is since it's a turn based game I thought playing on my laptop's lovely trackpad would be good enough, but Jesus, navigating this game's UI with a trackpad gets tedious fast, and I found myself hitting end turn probably prematurely a lot out of impatience. I guess learning the hotkeys and getting a mouse would probably help with that.

Oh, also I signed up for Goon Game Service with the same name.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ereror posted:

After buying this game, reading up a bit, then dicking around a bit with the AI, this game seems like great fun. My layperson observations playing Shinuyama are that Bakemono Sorcerers seem really good because of how many different spells they have access to. At the same time, it's kind of annoying when you can't cast certain spells (banefiiiree) because none of your dudes rolled the correct paths, despite having a 1/4 chance of doing so. Oh well. I also ran into some awful luck since I went with that recommended erfsnek E6 pretender, only to have my starting position coincidentally spawn right next to the throne of winter. Which, as it turns out, makes everything so much colder my poor snake doesn't really want to move anymore.

One problem I kept running into is I would just straight up forget commanders or mages running around site searching/whatever for turns at a time, and this was without even taking days between turns like in multiplayer. Do you guys tend to keep notes on turns of any sort, or do you just kind of get better at keeping track of stuff? Actually, after asking that, I assume a lot of people probably still just forget lots of crap despite having played a lot. I think part of it is since it's a turn based game I thought playing on my laptop's lovely trackpad would be good enough, but Jesus, navigating this game's UI with a trackpad gets tedious fast, and I found myself hitting end turn probably prematurely a lot out of impatience. I guess learning the hotkeys and getting a mouse would probably help with that.

Mash "n" to cycle through all of the commanders without orders.

Also Shinuyama is one of the worst nations in the entire game so if you can do well with them (or even just manage to not die) that's pretty good.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Mash "n" to cycle through all of the commanders without orders.
Speaking of "n": is there a way to mark commanders as some sort of busy so I don't have to cycle through a bunch of scouts that needn't move?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

frankenfreak posted:

Speaking of "n": is there a way to mark commanders as some sort of busy so I don't have to cycle through a bunch of scouts that needn't move?
w

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
:tipshat:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

ereror posted:

i'm pretty sure there's an option to warn you if you have commanders without orders when you end turn

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Oh god this.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i'm pretty sure there's an option to warn you if you have commanders without orders when you end turn
There's!

There's also a command that makes your mages auto-research, which is sometimes handy and sometimes annoying.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

i don't use it because i have brain damage (BUT WHAT IF I GET THAT 1-in-a-100 RANDOM???) but yeah it's a good option to have

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Next turn I'm going to get sieged by a force from Ur paying as EA Pangaea (I know, I know). Can I seduce commanders from inside my castle? I don't think he's guarding his commanders, so I can just Howl them to death, hopefully. I'm at Alt 5 and Conj 2

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Fat Samurai posted:

Next turn I'm going to get sieged by a force from Ur paying as EA Pangaea (I know, I know). Can I seduce commanders from inside my castle? I don't think he's guarding his commanders, so I can just Howl them to death, hopefully. I'm at Alt 5 and Conj 2

yes and actually don't use howl in assassinations, just use swarm it's faster. also why don't you just kill the ur mans with centaur?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

yes and actually don't use howl in assassinations, just use swarm it's faster. also why don't you just kill the ur mans with centaur?

Swarm, I meant, sorry. The Centaurs are on the other side of the continent punching other dudes.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 25, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

well yeah you can seduce from inside a fort, it's rough as hell. be aware that actual ur mans have more hp than normal humans

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks. So with N1 mages, 4 nature gems to get off a couple of swarms should be enough?

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing
I updated my indy randomizer tool( https://github.com/culka/randominions4 ), it can now read nation mod files and create independents from them.

There's also a MA game in the private games thread if someone wants to test it out!

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Culka posted:

I updated my indy randomizer tool( https://github.com/culka/randominions4 ), it can now read nation mod files and create independents from them.

There's also a MA game in the private games thread if someone wants to test it out!

This is really cool - I like the dom4 nation gen a whole lot, and it sounds like this will go great with it!

Which reminds me: How did the awful nations mod game(s?) play out? I've been curious to hear about that particular brand of crazy, but forgot all about it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Another thing: stuff that is patrolling and retreats from a Castle battle will move into the castle, right? And stuff that I recruit that turn will join the PD before the attacking army moves into the province and thus will join the battle. I'm thinking about using my pretender to buff the army and then retreat, but I don't want to lose it in a retreat because I don't understand the mechanics involved.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Azram Legion posted:

This is really cool - I like the dom4 nation gen a whole lot, and it sounds like this will go great with it!

Which reminds me: How did the awful nations mod game(s?) play out? I've been curious to hear about that particular brand of crazy, but forgot all about it.

As expected, very awfully, I think badnationsv1 is still going (maybe?) but it used moo's mod thrones and decrepus got a throne that allows him to recruit a thing for 300gp that is basically a BFG and will wipe out armies solo because it regens 50hp+ a turn and poops gas, also it has mm3 or something dumb.

Fat Samurai posted:

Another thing: stuff that is patrolling and retreats from a Castle battle will move into the castle, right? And stuff that I recruit that turn will join the PD before the attacking army moves into the province and thus will join the battle. I'm thinking about using my pretender to buff the army and then retreat, but I don't want to lose it in a retreat because I don't understand the mechanics involved.

I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure if your unit is defending the castle province (i.e. you put them on patrol), and retreats, it will NOT retreat into the castle, it will retreat to an adjacent province you own, or die if you own none. Someone with more knowledge may know for sure either way, but I THINK that's how it works.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 25, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

units that you recruit the same turn an enemy attacks are not on a Patrol order and will stay inside the castle as you shrink into a corncob.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks.

I'm starting to think this siege is not going to work as I want. :(

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
units can retreat into friendly castles

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

MF_James posted:

As expected, very awfully, I think badnationsv1 is still going (maybe?) but it used moo's mod thrones and decrepus got a throne that allows him to recruit a thing for 300gp that is basically a BFG and will wipe out armies solo because it regens 50hp+ a turn and poops gas, also it has mm3 or something dumb.

That sounds like the perfect outcome, all things considered.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Azram Legion posted:

The badgame.net Awful Nations game I played as Iram, got to turn 60 before realising the futility of existence and going AI

http://badgame.net/index.php?topic=41196.0

Final map

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Enjoy posted:

The badgame.net Awful Nations game I played as Iram, got to turn 60 before realising the futility of existence and going AI

http://badgame.net/index.php?topic=41196.0

Final map

The guy who won had an old version of one of my mod nations where the res values were bad and some of the units weren't adjusted to be priced properly.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks.

I'm starting to think this siege is not going to work as I want. :(

Highlights from last turn:

Had 2 one on one seduction/assassination attempts where both participants cast Swarm 3 times.
Killed a Shedu using only ants.
My castle was assaulted by 6 mages because I killed all his real commanders. I still managed to lose 40 troops due to Swarm spam and having summoned lovely poison troops that killed all my dudes :cripes:

At this point he has no commanders on the army sieging my castle (in fact, I'm repairing the walls with basically no one inside). He has a commander in the next province, which I'm assuming he's moving to my castle so I don't melt all his troops by breaking siege. What would happen exactly if:

- I order a seduce attempt in my castle
- I order to break siege
- He moves his commander to my cap.

Ideally, I want to seduce his only commander and then rout his commander-less army with a single dude. I'm hopefully encircling my castle this turn, so his army should disappear completely, but I'm not sure of the timing.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Highlights from last turn:

Had 2 one on one seduction/assassination attempts where both participants cast Swarm 3 times.
Killed a Shedu using only ants.
My castle was assaulted by 6 mages because I killed all his real commanders. I still managed to lose 40 troops due to Swarm spam and having summoned lovely poison troops that killed all my dudes :cripes:

At this point he has no commanders on the army sieging my castle (in fact, I'm repairing the walls with basically no one inside). He has a commander in the next province, which I'm assuming he's moving to my castle so I don't melt all his troops by breaking siege. What would happen exactly if:

- I order a seduce attempt in my castle
- I order to break siege
- He moves his commander to my cap.

Ideally, I want to seduce his only commander and then rout his commander-less army with a single dude. I'm hopefully encircling my castle this turn, so his army should disappear completely, but I'm not sure of the timing.

If you seduce in the fort province, that will take effect before movement, so your seducer will find no targets and then the commander will arrive to lead the shamecube of troops besieging you. You will then sortie into the field and destroy the enemy with your superior spirit.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Enjoy posted:

destroy the enemy with your superior spirit.
Oh, one of those "moral victories" I keep hearing about. Not going to happen.

I'll take one more turn of sieging, I guess. Either he moves his commander to my fort or I mulch him in the province he's in.

Thanks.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 27, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Newest Video LP-episode: 6 minutes and a couple seconds

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The Saturday-episode: Mo Money, Mo Problems II Part 31

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannndddddd Sunday: Mo Money, Mo Problems II Part 32

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

Great Gray Shrike posted:

It used to be possible to register your Desura purchase on Steam and get your Dom4 downloads + patches on Steam - it's what I did, I bought Dominions 4 on Desura initially but haven't really interacted with Desura other than to use the Dominions 4 forum ever since.

The instructions on Desura for doing so were the following:

If Desura is really, truly, finally dead, I would personally try the key in the file 'dom4key' file in your present Dom4 install.
Sorry to necro this, but what if I don't currently have Dom4 installed on any of my devices in the first place? Could I download the Dom3 demo and patch that up to 4.27? :ohdear: I know, it sounds stupid, but I can't think what else to try at this point. Desura seems to be well and truly dead.

For reference, here are the instructions Great Gray Shrike dug up:

The instructions on Desura for doing so were the following: posted:

Google's cache of a Desura thread posted:

Here are instructions on how to activate your Illwinter Desura keys on Steam.

Go to your Desura Collection
Check the keys for your Illwinter games (Dominions 3, Dominions 4, Conquest of Elysium 3)
Write them down
Open Steam (download, install, register an account etc if you don't already have it)
Open the Games menu (from the very top, in tiny print, not the large print)
Select the Activate Product on Steam option
Enter your Illwinter keys and activate
Done

For Illwinter games that are not on Steam (Dominions - Priests, Prophets & Pretenders and Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars), download the standalone installers for those and write down your serial keys, then make sure you have as many copies as you need backed up so you don't lose them.If you have any questions NOT related to Steam activation, please post them in the Desura Shutting Down? thread.
Would installing the Desura client (if it's even available anymore) allow me to find the CD key somehow?

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013
Cataclysm has ended. As everyone else went AI, I have won by default. Here is a battle that took place on the last turn against AI how are u. Sadly all the vampires are outside of friendly dominion because the AI doesn't care about immortality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_-_nS-ZLBQ

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Do the various Dome spells, like Dome of Solid Air, prevent your own spells from entering a province you've cast it in? Like if you tried casting Trade Wind or Cloud Trapeze on it...

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

Fauxbot posted:

Do the various Dome spells, like Dome of Solid Air, prevent your own spells from entering a province you've cast it in? Like if you tried casting Trade Wind or Cloud Trapeze on it...
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Nice.

• Locked thread