Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Again: four of the six titans definitely have shields that regenerate.

I totally missed this, where did you find this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
On the titan page, where the titans have abilities with names like Shield Wall, Gun Shield, Fire Shield, etc.

Like, in case it's not obvious: the designers moved the shields from a universal omni-directional always-on bodyshield with a short cooldown into a more skill-based Titan ability relying on tactics and positioning. I frankly like the idea.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 25, 2016

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Don't see anything there, all the footage I've seen that Frothy has posted playing as Ronin, Tone, Scorch, etc has no recharging shields and all the reviews mention a major change from TF1 being "no recharging shields". :shrug:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You can see the Titans throw up their Vortex Shields and whatnot in every video. I don't know what to tell you.

They removed the omni-directional bodyshields, yes. That's not the same thing as "removing the Titans shields". I'm sorry that I didn't communicate that effectively.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

You can see the Titans throw up their Vortex Shields and whatnot in every video. I don't know what to tell you.

They removed the omni-directional bodyshields, yes. That's not the same thing as "removing the Titans shields". I'm sorry that I didn't communicate that effectively.

:| they removed one thing and added other things, the regenerating shields is obviously what everyone was talking about

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

I can so easily be trolled when Titanfall 2 is just 2 days away.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
How can you say they removed shields when you can shield yourself from enemy fire by hiding behind buildings

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

LMAO if being a pedantic idiot is a troll then I should probably move under a bridge.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
How can you say they removed shields when it's impossible to prove any of us are perceiving an objective reality we are all swimming in an infinite ether of our own subjective experience

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

All good points I hope will be addressed in Titanfall 3: Now the Shields Have Titans

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I am shielded from criticism.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Just a simple misunderstanding, but in reality all the titans were given some form of active defensive measure. Or at least the breakdown seems to be an offensive, defensive, and utilitarian ability.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 25, 2016

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
That's cool they actually changed things from the beta considering most modern shooters use betas as glorified demos and don't actually look at any feedback from the beta.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
the only measure of a good Titan is how many missiles it can fire at once

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

V for Vegans posted:

That's cool they actually changed things from the beta considering most modern shooters use betas as glorified demos and don't actually look at any feedback from the beta.

Ok, I've got to bite here:

Gameplay feedback is available from a multitude of sources (generally whether you want it or not)

True data (full pipeline) on the performance of stressed services is only available from public tests (well, also launch, but that's not a great time to discover things).

Hence the purpose of betas is not primarily to collect gameplay feedback but rather to see how your backend performs when a whole bunch of players hit it at once as well as to collect telemetry on such areas as matchmaking and progression so you can fine tune settings in those areas.

I know people like to think they are special individual snowflakes but honestly they are more useful in bulk :-)

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Exactly, every beta people complain about gameplay but it doesn't get changed by the developers because it's not what they're doing the beta for, the beta build is the final build. That's why is surprising they actually changed things.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Then they shouldn't call it a beta if it's not a beta

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Does that mean that the technical test was an alpha since it wasn't a beta?

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Good point. I guess it's possible there was an internal back and forth going on, so both options were available with relatively little overhead?

Dammit, I'm just thinking about this stuff because I can't play and I want to play.

Let me play :-P

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

V for Vegans posted:

Yeah they changed a lot between the first and second week, although I found both weeks incredibly fun personally the second week was a big improvement.

Personally I think it will be a very good game but if you hated the beta i dunno if I'd recommend it. They definitely listened to complaints though.

I seem to be an outsider in that I never played the first game and don't have any comparisons to make but most of the stuff people have complained about doesn't sound better to me. I also thought 2/3 maps were really good which I seem to be in the minority on.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I seem to be an outsider in that I never played the first game and don't have any comparisons to make but most of the stuff people have complained about doesn't sound better to me. I also thought 2/3 maps were really good which I seem to be in the minority on.

I feel this way and I did play the first game. I'm glad Attrition is officially back but I thought most of the changes people seemed to hate were for the better.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Lemming posted:

Then they shouldn't call it a beta if it's not a beta

It'd be an alpha if they were still looking to change gameplay mechanics.

I'm glad titans don't have standard shields anymore, titans shouldn't be unkillable machines, they should have a lifespan that can end.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

runchild posted:

Combination of both. I think a lot of the negative reaction to the tech test was people instinctively lashing out at anything different. There are still some holdouts who think 3rd person animations or no Titan shields are dealbreakers, but most people have come to accept the changes. On top of that, the changes made after the first weekend (movement adjustments, titan timers) and the reveals of things missing from the tech test (attrition) have rendered a lot of the original concerns obsolete. Plus all the new stuff revealed since then and the date getting closer and closer have naturally increased the hype levels.
Yeah once they announced that Attrition was back I was back on board. I'm still sad that there's no AI in the other modes since I loved playing Hardpoint in the first game and having no AI just makes it look so empty but whatever I'll just stick to 24/7 Attrition. I also really want 1st person animations but that's more an aesthetic thing and lol if it's a dealbreaker that stops you from wanting to play the game.

Psion posted:

the only measure of a good Titan is how many missiles it can fire at once
Sorry but I'm gonna be rocking Legion at all times with his sweet rear end gat and his core that gives it Smart Pistol lockon

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FrostyOmen has said that there is AI in Attrition, Bounty Hunt, and "1 or 2 other modes" but doesn't remember which ones.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

FrostyOmen has said that there is AI in Attrition, Bounty Hunt, and "1 or 2 other modes" but doesn't remember which ones.
I suspect one mode might be Harpoint: in the original Titanfall the grunts could actually capture a control point if they got it, though the capture speed was a lot slower and required one of the grunts in the squad to operate the console.
It's something that some players might have never noticed and one additional small detail that the grunts brought to the game.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Is the console multiplayer 60fps?

I skimmed a couple reviews but couldn't see any mention of it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Insert name here posted:

Sorry but I'm gonna be rocking Legion at all times with his sweet rear end gat and his core that gives it Smart Pistol lockon

the shameful-est way to misspell Tone

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

a real chump posted:

Is the console multiplayer 60fps?

I skimmed a couple reviews but couldn't see any mention of it.

The beta was.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Insert name here posted:

I also really want 1st person animations but that's more an aesthetic thing and lol if it's a dealbreaker that stops you from wanting to play the game.

Oh yeah, I love the aesthetic of the consistent first person camera in TF1, and was sad to see it go. But I also understand that the cosmetic customization would lose a lot of it's oomph without third person, and that's especially important when they're taking a risk with free maps and banking on cosmetic DLC instead. And we would have missed out on the Grand Theft Semi-Auto execution without third person so it's an okay trade-off in my book. I doubt it's really gonna stop anyone from getting the game, but it sure isn't gonna stop them from whining about it on r/Titanfall.

I'm reasonably certain AI only appears in those two modes. Frothy must have been having a brain fart if he said that.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

runchild posted:

I'm reasonably certain AI only appears in those two modes. Frothy must have been having a brain fart if he said that.

Welp, guess I'm playing only those two modes then. :sigh: Has there been any talk of Frontier Defense 2.0?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

runchild posted:

Probably because Frothy didn't actually say that, it was just some other random dude in Frothy's AMA https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/594u3e/hi_rtitanfall_i_am_frothyomen_ama/d95m3v1/

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Insert name here posted:

Probably because Frothy didn't actually say that, it was just some other random dude in Frothy's AMA https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/594u3e/hi_rtitanfall_i_am_frothyomen_ama/d95m3v1/

Wow I am sucking poo poo at the video game posting today.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Psion posted:

the shameful-est way to misspell Tone

I will also kill many people with my friend Tone

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does this game import anything from a TF1 save?

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014
So I watched that polygon gameplay video...and honestly I'm more baffled by the fact that, well, every reviewer seemed to be playing it like it was CoD when they were pilots, except for the one streamer account I saw actually making use of the wallruns when they could.

Like Polygon's 7 I can at least understand from a "I think you were just bad at the game" viewpoint, I'm far more confused by the people who just played it like it was CoD and go "yeah this brings some innovation to the table, 8/9 out of 10!", I mean it seems like you would have to actually make use of those innovations before you can say that unless one just really likes titan play to the point of not caring about how pilots play.

I know the answer to this conundrum is "gaming journalism is a joke"

fake edit: As far as I know the only cross-game thing they're doing is with BF1 and the red baron skin, they haven't announced anything re: TF1 ownership up till now.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did Gamesradar do a gameplay video? That dude was super gung ho about the mobility stuff.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Did Gamesradar do a gameplay video? That dude was super gung ho about the mobility stuff.

Haven't watched it, but yes.

My guess will be that the footage used for the review will still be bad.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Haven't watched it, but yes.

My guess will be that the footage used for the review will still be bad.

AHHHHHH OH MY GOD WALL RUN OR SOMETHING. GO FAST FUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK

I hate that these people get the game early. THESE PEOPLE!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

AHHHHHH OH MY GOD WALL RUN OR SOMETHING. GO FAST FUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK

I hate that these people get the game early. THESE PEOPLE!

If stumbling slowly across the ground is wrong, then I don't want to be right

-that guy, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Bunch of us are getting this on the #pcgaming discord so if anyone is looking for people to play with when it comes out is welcome to join.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794397