Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-highlights-idUSKCN12P2S1?mod=related&channelName=politicsNews

Trump now saying Obama should be investigated for what he knew about E-MAILS

also says HRC will start WW3 in Syria :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ocrumsprug posted:

Then in the last few years the US decides that they are going to start cracking down on people evading taxes in foreign jurisdictions. (lmao, how is that going anyways?)

Apparently pretty well since we're getting the same old "think of the small business average joe who visits his family for 30 days in the US" concern trolling.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

computer parts posted:

Yeah, the rich ones should be barred.
And yet somehow the legislation we actually have does nothing of the sort, and yet again people with modest retirement savings are the ones who get hit the hardest. On top of all the other bullshit an expat of the US has to deal with. Which you're fine with because in your zeal to gently caress over rich people - something I can more or less get behind - you don't care if what actually happens is middle class people get hosed instead and rich people are barely affected. I mean that's usually the thing that happens whenever Congress passes any law, and I'm struggling to figure out why everyone ITT is so convinced it must be otherwise in this one instance, and I guess it's just because you all have this image in your head of the only people who would ever renounce their citizenship, or live overseas at all, being John Galt types.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
You get one cross-party endorsement that matters. Joe Liberman endorsing McCain made news, but nobody cared that he backed Romney.

Powell made news when he endorsed Obama, but nobody cares now.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Ha, remember that video from this morning where he was asked about voter fraud, and he said 'ask Obama about his video from eight years ago'. He just went off about how Obama is also a phony because he saw a video from 2008 on Hannity where Obama says American politics is rigged and he knows it because he's from Chicago. I guess that's what he was talking about?

Oh good, now he's doing a dramatic reading of an email from Cheryl Mills and saying it proves Obama knew beforehand about Hillary's 'illegal server' and is part of the cover-up. I think he's gonna call for Obama to be locked up as well before we get to election day. He's been speaking for nearly half an hour now and the whole thing has been the Conspiracy against him and the evils of Crooked Hillary. Nothing else.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Since you're the one who's totally fine with ridiculous legislation that provably does not do what it's supposed to do in targeting actually rich people who actually do avoid taxes by renouncing, and for which the consequences for people who fall in the "ordinary people with ordinary retirement plans" range will be pretty bad - no I think you're the one who should outline what is the goddamn point of these taxes and what, since it was brought up, what exactly the US government (and, maybe, Eritrea) is doing for its citizens that justifies it.

I mean you literally said that you agree that US citizens should be barred from opening overseas bank accounts. At first blush it seemed like hyperbole but maybe not.

boner confessor posted:

it's incredible that you're getting upset that people don't find sympathy for your extremely unlikely scenario when you were completely willing to write off millions of us citizens who live in parts of the us you don't like

what is wrong with your brain

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

emdash posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-highlights-idUSKCN12P2S1?mod=related&channelName=politicsNews

Trump now saying Obama should be investigated for what he knew about E-MAILS

also says HRC will start WW3 in Syria :shobon:

Trump probably had some nice bait in that Syria angle of attack, but he waited until two weeks before the election to bring it up (Clinton herself is not going to respond to his poo poo anymore as she stated), and couldn't keep his mouth shut about anything else enough to appear competent.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

My Linux Rig posted:

I'm starting to see some ridiculous poo poo on my facebook feed as the election day gets closer, but not from the side I expected:

Did he really rape a 13 year old?

Signs point to yes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

And yet somehow the legislation we actually have does nothing of the sort, and yet again people with modest retirement savings are the ones who get hit the hardest. On top of all the other bullshit an expat of the US has to deal with. Which you're fine with because in your zeal to gently caress over rich people - something I can more or less get behind - you don't care if what actually happens is middle class people get hosed instead and rich people are barely affected. I mean that's usually the thing that happens whenever Congress passes any law, and I'm struggling to figure out why everyone ITT is so convinced it must be otherwise in this one instance, and I guess it's just because you all have this image in your head of the only people who would ever renounce their citizenship, or live overseas at all, being John Galt types.

Why should congress give a flying gently caress about making things easier for people who are renouncing America and our Democracy? gently caress um.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

The difference between a foreign national opening a bank account in the US and the reverse is that the US bank personnel don't have to submit paperwork to a foreign government that carry very serious consequences for their business if they make a mistake.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nonsense posted:

Clinton will probably change this. If she doesn't then it's worth it to keep the "Born here, You Are American" thing.

"Born here, You Are American, and You Will Pay Until You Aren't".
Whether or not she changes taxation, there's no way we'll get rid of jus soli. Also, check out that map - I wasn't aware that literally zero European countries had it unconditionally anymore :eyepop:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also, check out that map - I wasn't aware that literally zero European countries had it unconditionally anymore :eyepop:

That's how you get 4th generation "immigrants" who still aren't citizens.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

eviltastic posted:

On that note, I think that Bill Kristol may have escaped the curse by dunking on Scott Adams and forcing him to take his place.

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/790920262203998208

He also remains convinced that Trump will win because Trump is so masterfully persuasive.

It's a ways back, but what exactly does this idiot think made "something change"?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Themagicalgoat posted:

De facto, they already are except in tax havens.
Uh no most banks will open retail accounts for any resident of that country and you don't know what you're talking about. Unless that resident is also a US citizen and then it can get problematic because of FATCA reporting requirements.

But for a citizen of e.g. the U.K., yeah they can move overseas and establish residency and open a foreign bank about. Obviously.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kilroy posted:

And yet somehow the legislation we actually have does nothing of the sort, and yet again people with modest retirement savings are the ones who get hit the hardest.

And you still haven't shown how many of those people actually exist.

Again: saying Google Ron Paul the IRS doesn't count.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

computer parts posted:

That's how you get 4th generation "immigrants" who still aren't citizens.
Thank God for the Fourteenth Amendment.

Again.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
14 days out from the election, insurmountably behind Clinton in the polls, Trump chooses to start attacking Obama.

Bold strategy Cotton.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

i just want to point out again that you're whining about ridiculous legislation ensuring that thousands of middle class expats aregetting hosed here, and this morning you were calling for ridiculous legislation to deliberately gently caress millions of middle class american citizens for living in red states

go eat poo poo you elitist prick. gently caress your family and i hope the us government bankrupts you

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 25, 2016

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

PhazonLink posted:

Weaksauce. Take Project Pluto and make nuclear ramjet hoover cars.

Make
F-Zero
Real

Not good enough. We need to make Macross real.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/boeing-laser-powered-nuclear-fusion-engine/

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Kilroy posted:

Uh no most banks will open retail accounts for any resident of that country and you don't know what you're talking about. Unless that resident is also a US citizen and then it can get problematic because of FATCA reporting requirements.

But for a citizen of e.g. the U.K., yeah they can move overseas and establish residency and open a foreign bank about. Obviously.

You are wrong. My personal experience proves this wrong. You need a local address and a local phone number to open an bank account in Europe. You cannot get a phone without a large amount of money or a bank account. This paradox of needing a phone to get an account or an account to get a phone is only resolved by having a large store of cash or using a foreign national account as I have explained.

Just to be clear, this is an example for someone "not wealthy." You also need quite a bit of other corroborating papers to open an account. Including a UK Visa (which requires a job).

Themagicalgoat fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 25, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kilroy posted:

If you have renounced your citizenship, you are by definition not an expat. The rules are different for ex-pats and renouncing.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Instant Sunrise posted:

there hasn't been a new f-zero game since bush's first term

Globally, we are all losers with our lack of sick zero-g drifts. May we all come together in Mute City, friends.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

It's a ways back, but what exactly does this idiot think made "something change"?

He was an idiot before, he is an idiot now. Nothing has changed.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Now Trump's taking time out from explaining his economic plans to call fact-checkers, as a class, 'crooked as hell' and 'a group of dishonest scum'.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

14 days out from the election, insurmountably behind Clinton in the polls, Trump chooses to start attacking Obama.

Bold strategy Cotton.

This has to be related to Obama's televised tweet own. Trump cannot allow any insult to pass, no matter how minor.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Renouncing your citizenship is considered the same as liquidating all of your assets and is specifically designed to be harsh to make sure that people aren't using it to avoid taxes. It sucks for edge cases, but they are mostly edge cases.
The limits you get before you pay income tax on assets fall well outside of "mere edge case" territory and are will within "ordinary retirement" territory.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The requirements were specifically made harsh, because people like to live in the U.S. but do not like to pay taxes. Previously, you had people renounce their citizenship, but then spend 5 months in Manhattan a year and avoid taxes.
This is the actual edge case, and again the laws we have, and which you say are justifiably onerous, the actual rich are much better equipped to deal with and work around. I will again point out that the Facebook co-founder who moved to Singapore is exactly the type that these laws are supposed to deal with, yet he made out fine and is much better off for renouncing anyway. So yeah.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

The limits you get before you pay income tax on assets fall well outside of "mere edge case" territory and are will within "ordinary retirement" territory.

This is the actual edge case, and again the laws we have, and which you say are justifiably onerous, the actual rich are much better equipped to deal with and work around. I will again point out that the Facebook co-founder who moved to Singapore is exactly the type that these laws are supposed to deal with, yet he made out fine and is much better off for renouncing anyway. So yeah.

Wait so in your mind $2 Million is now "ordinary retirement?"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Kilroy posted:

The Facebook co-founder paid a significant upfront tax bill to renounce. The 700 million figure he saved is from future taxes, not from the tax year he renounced.

That is the way it is supposed to work.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

computer parts posted:

Apparently pretty well since we're getting the same old "think of the small business average joe who visits his family for 30 days in the US" concern trolling.
Yeah I can't think of a reason anyone would want to visit a dying relative in the US for an extended period of time.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

there hasn't been a new f-zero game since bush's first term

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8HcF2St9uQ&t=35s

also this game may as well be an f zero:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiqRE2E-ChM

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

Yeah I can't think of a reason anyone would want to visit a dying relative in the US for an extended period of time.

wow gee it's almost like giving up your american citizenship to avoid paying taxes has negative consequences

who ever could have foreseen this possibility

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hint: the average family retirement savings is $94,000. So anyone pretending that $2,000,000 is an "ordinary" retirement puts Romney to shame.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/RobertMackey/status/791009012057837569

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Kilroy posted:

When people say they want examples it means they want actual specific examples not Conservapedia-style '[1] This actually happened' repeated assertions.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Hint: the average family retirement savings is $94,000. So anyone pretending that $2,000,000 is an "ordinary" retirement puts Romney to shame.

I'm hoping that's because the people contributing to the retirement are like 40ish? At max? Good Lord!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kilroy posted:

If you can give up a whole month of pay to go sit by someone's bed you're pretty well off.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Kilroy are the majority of people that want to renounce to avoid taxes more likely to vote red or blue while they're still citizens I need to know whether I should give a gently caress about them or not.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

The thing that kills me is that the candidates both knew, as did the rest of us, what the debate subjects would be, if not the actual questions. He's basically making excuses for not doing his homework

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/790992445202915328

That he's bending the knee after getting dunked on about his involvement in urging Hillary to set up :derp: THE EMAIL SERVER :derp: is :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

What a shocker, the same conservative that wants to force the rural poor to bootstrap themselves doesn't want to tax multimillionaires who renounce America.

• Locked thread