Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

lozzle posted:

Well, I guess Clinton is gonna assassinate Scott Adams now just like he feared. :jerkbag:

Some things are worth the risk. These mean Salon articles cannot stand unchallenged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

I can understand it from a perspective that many countries have restrictions on what foreigners can do. Heck, even in America, foreigners aren't allowed to visit our coolest fusion lasers.

But I don't have much sympathy for complaints about the tax process for millionaires who do so.

But how will renouncing your US citizenship help you get a citizenship in the new country? I mean I guess if you're living in a place hostile to the US it'd make sense, forgot about that I'll admit.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

PhilippAchtel posted:

I am a US citizen living abroad who has had to file a 1040 (in addition to local income taxes) every year since they left. I've been able to deduct the whole of my income due to the foreign earned income exclusion each year, but it's still a pain in the butt and gets a chuckle out of my friends and spouse every year. I certainly don't look forward to handling this when my income situation gets more complicated, but I'll probably hire an accountant to do it for me by then.

Reasons someone might want to renounce their US citizenship other than being a scumbag tax dodger? Maybe they've lived in their adoptive country for multiple decades, have raised a family in their new home, and just don't identify as a citizen of the US any longer. It's not that complicated.

AMA

Edit: Oh, you also have to declare all accounts that have contained more than $10,000 every year. It's intended to go after money launderers, but it means you have to declare all your savings and retirement accounts every year or risk something like a six-figure fine. Not a huge paperwork burden, but just another of those things US citizens abroad have to do every year.

That's fair. I usually think of people doing it for shortsighted political reasons or as a tax dodge. I mostly think of it as a potentially catastrophic bridge to burn if you don't choose wisely. Realistically I probably won't ever live outside North America though.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kilroy posted:

Well here is a list provided by USPOL of the services provided by the US government to its citizens living abroad, which most countries do not provide and which justify having an onerous expat taxation scheme matched only by Eritrea and an expatriation tax matched by nobody and which doesn't even do what everyone says it's supposed to do (i.e. gently caress over rich tax-dodgers). Anyway here's the list:

Thanks to my American citizenship I can easily get a visa to most places on the planet when traveling, that's a pretty big plus. And I pay no taxes to the US because I'm not rich.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Kilroy posted:

Well here is a list provided by USPOL of the services provided by the US government to its citizens living abroad, which most countries do not provide and which justify having an onerous expat taxation scheme matched only by Eritrea and an expatriation tax matched by nobody and which doesn't even do what everyone says it's supposed to do (i.e. gently caress over rich tax-dodgers). Anyway here's the list:

you are insanely obnoxious (and i don't have any opinion on the point you're trying to make), and "WELL THE PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH ME WON'T ANSWER MY QUESTIONS" is not an argument in your favor, or a sweet rhetorical jab, or really anything at all. If you can't answer questions in good faith there's no reason for them to either

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

PT6A posted:

Also, why do Americans seem to agree that American citizens should be taxed on foreign income while living in a foreign country? Even if there's a substantial deduction available, it still makes no sense beyond "they have money, we want money" which is a pretty stupid reason to do anything.

Because Americans living abroad still enjoy the protections of being an American citizen

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

But how will renouncing your US citizenship help you get a citizenship in the new country? I mean I guess if you're living in a place hostile to the US it'd make sense, forgot about that I'll admit.

No I mean, if you had citizenship somewhere and wanted to run for office or avoid as much lingering social stigma of being a foreigner as possible. Ted Cruz pronouncing his Canadian citizenship being a prime example, he doesn't hate Canada he just needs to be "more American" for the job he wants .

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

emdash posted:

you are insanely obnoxious (and i don't have any opinion on the point you're trying to make), and "WELL THE PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH ME WON'T ANSWER MY QUESTIONS" is not an argument in your favor, or a sweet rhetorical jab, or really anything at all. If you can't answer questions in good faith there's no reason for them to either
I'll in good faith answer questions asked in good faith. There were none. What there was instead was a bunch of poo poo posters complaining about and mischaracterizing a completely different discussion from last night, along with a slew of "why do you care so much about millionaires" bullshit.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

super funny that this is the argument you're retreating into when you are on the exact opposite side of this argument when it comes to us citizens who live in red states and have politics you disapprove of. you are sure as poo poo in favor of taxing them for no benefit then you hypocrite crybaby

Kilroy posted:

I'll in good faith answer questions asked in good faith. There were none. What there was instead was a bunch of poo poo posters complaining about and mischaracterizing a completely different discussion from last night, along with a slew of "why do you care so much about millionaires" bullshit.

yeah sorry that you're a whiny retard, i am so sympathetic to your complaints about international tax law

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 25, 2016

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know that if my country goes even more to the right, enough to actually offend the west and maybe start getting sanctioned and such, I can easily escape thanks to my US citizenship. That means a few less things to stress about which helps as I suffer from anxieties anyway.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/Carrasquillo/status/791018193443749888
:smith:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

No I mean, if you had citizenship somewhere and wanted to run for office or avoid as much lingering social stigma of being a foreigner as possible. Ted Cruz pronouncing his Canadian citizenship being a prime example, he doesn't hate Canada he just needs to be "more American" for the job he wants .

Oh, I didn't consider that... Yeah, I can see that.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

:siren: CLINTON SO FRAGILE SHE NEEDS A LITTLE PERSON TO GET DOWN STEPS :siren:

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

SubponticatePoster posted:

Hmm, average Trump rally-attendee will understand about half of the words in that sentence, but not when they are put together in that order. Who wrote that poo poo?

He just canceled out of a KSC tour (that was to go to more locations then was physically possible in one day) before dropping the whole area because they wouldn't let him hold a rally anywhere nearby.

Maybe this is him trying to replace that with pandering a little bit to get some of those conservative space engineers for whom the Democrats can do no good.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

i've seen people compare trump to proposition 187 but on a national scale and it's a really apt analogy.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Feldegast42 posted:

What is with all the people crawling out of the cracks saying that Hitlery will be starting WW3 ANY DAY NOW

You misunderstand me, I support Clinton. I'm merely saying that there will likely be a more obvious organized war in Syria, and that it will be treated like WW3 in that we will ally with either Iran or Russia as well as an international coalition to end the Syrian Civil War. It will have few disadvantages beyond, you know, war. If somehow Obama was going to have a 3rd term, he'd do it too. Forming an international coalition to handle a major problem is one of the better uses of interventionism.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

emdash posted:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/undercover-border-militia-immigration-bauer

Probably already posted but clearly worth a repost since the last several pages have been real bad. Mother Jones' new longform piece by a reporter who joined a border militia undercover.

This is amazing, it's the same Shane Bauer who went undercover as a corrections officer.

There are multiple categories for Pulitzer, right? So both Bauer and David Fahrenthold can get one?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The baddest of Hombres.

:smith:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Okan170 posted:

He just canceled out of a KSC tour (that was to go to more locations then was physically possible in one day) before dropping the whole area because they wouldn't let him hold a rally anywhere nearby.

Maybe this is him trying to replace that with pandering a little bit to get some of those conservative space engineers for whom the Democrats can do no good.

well obama did kill the deathtrap that was the constellation program.

also there's probably a few greybeards in the space industry who remember mondale.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

foobardog posted:

You misunderstand me, I support Clinton. I'm merely saying that there will likely be a more obvious organized war in Syria, and that it will be treated like WW3 in that we will ally with either Iran or Russia as well as an international coalition to end the Syrian Civil War. It will have few disadvantages beyond, you know, war. If somehow Obama was going to have a 3rd term, he'd do it too. Forming an international coalition to handle a major problem is one of the better uses of interventionism.

Russia has no interest in ending the war unless it results in an Assad victory. We won't be allying with them any time soon (they're dicks anyway).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/Carrasquillo/status/791020830583037952
:3::beerpal:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

lozzle posted:

Russia has no interest in ending the war unless it results in an Assad victory. We won't be allying with them any time soon (they're dicks anyway).

Yeah, Russia is a stretch, definitely. It would require them getting some invite back into the good graces of the West, but I could possibly see them becoming desperate if their economy crashes or something.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

What's the thread's opinion on author Thomas Frank? I greatly enjoyed "What's the Matter with Kansas?" and "Pity the Billionaire", and I wanted to double check that there wasn't anything bizarre about him that would disqualify his work (like Michael Moore obnoxiousness).

If he is in good standing, are there similar authors that are recommended? The book list in the OP is great but I've read most of those.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/danmericaCNN/status/791020525497843713

2016 is amazing

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kilroy posted:

:psyduck: you're an expat before you renounce in 99% of cases, obviously

I think I'm just going to have to step back as it's clear almost no one in this thread has the first loving idea what they're talking about. I didn't expect USPOL would also harbor the same attitudes toward loving over US citizens overseas that the general population does, but I set my expectations too high in this case.

Defend your own statements, you greasy gently caress-weasel.

$2m in net worth is in the 95th percentile for all Americans.

It is not middle class, much less remotely loving poor.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

She's just so ridiculously better than he is at every aspect of campaigning

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Like, what's the joke here from the radio station's end? Did "Kiki" say something totally outrageous not in that transcript or something, because "Haha, we invented a fake Hispanic who pretended to be inspired by a woman president loving OWNED" seems lame as gently caress.

Then again, it's a radio stunt, so it probably just is lame as gently caress.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Broken Box posted:

Teaching absolutely, I feel like most of us here have read articles and testimony from posters about their experiences. I don't think I've seen many other social workers on the forums though.

I'm a social worker a few months away from receiving my masters, a degree that is drat near a necessity in this field, and I've taken on a load of debt for my education and have worked four internships in my educational career that were worse than unpaid, because I was* paying* tuition in my program to take them on. I've worked unarmed in the depths of poverty, decrepit homes and unsafe neighborhoods police officers wouldn't imagine stepping into without a gun. Many, if not most of my clients with personality disorders and PTSD are armed. I'm in a red state with some of the most underfunded and perversely targeted social safety programs in the country, and depending on the funding mechanisms that your agency depends on there's no guarantee your job will even exist in a few months, let alone dare to dream of seeing regular pay raises to make token recognition of the insane, often on-call hours required of many of the jobs I've done. I always see people in crisis where the resources available are sparse and their experiences unthinkable in a country as wealthy as ours. I once broke down when a little girl complained when I gave her a yellow crayon to draw a banana, because she had lived on donated/hunted food her whole life and never saw any banana peels that weren't dark brown. I've cheered when the thankless clients, such as paranoid schizophrenic klansmen, would get a new job or moved into stable housing even as they decried the help they received-- the government, my career and my values, for simply existing. Many of my coworkers came from other fields to do this kind of work, knowing that they were taking a significant cut in income and lifestyle to do it. They wanted a career where they could keep their soul, and I commend them for it. The jobs exist, but we're all praying we can get the ones we've been interning and working so hard for all along. There's a lot of horizontal movement in social work, but moving up is difficult. Most of us take on multiple jobs instead.

That's not to say it's all dire economic straits and tragedy-- LCSWs get paid very well and are among the most in-demand jobs in the country right now, and my particular career path is among the most competitive in pay and benefits. But it has taken much to get where I am now and it will take years more to get to where I want to be, and without passion to do this work there are absolutely not enough incentives for someone to do it. Even with passion, the level of burnout doing social work is unreal. The lows are so low, the highs are often bittersweet. Other professionals often totally misunderstand what we do, and interdisciplinary education is a necessary part of even being able to do the job. The demand for social work in this country is rapidly growing, but without compensation for the level of education and dedication required for someone to work these jobs it'll never attract the workforce numbers we need. And without the support of effective social services, we'll continue failing generation after generation of our most vulnerable citizens.
Broken Box! I think you must be in my MSW program. Seems I can't PM you.. so just wanted to give you a digital high five. Time to start asking in class if people have stairs in their house.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
+1 for Abuela in Dallas county. :getin:

Got to my polling place about 2:30-3:00 and the line was a solid 50-60 people.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Bless you. Scott Adams' douchery being revealed to the world is one of Abuela's greatest gifts.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

Kilroy posted:

:psyduck: you're an expat before you renounce in 99% of cases, obviously

I think I'm just going to have to step back as it's clear almost no one in this thread has the first loving idea what they're talking about. I didn't expect USPOL would also harbor the same attitudes toward loving over US citizens overseas that the general population does, but I set my expectations too high in this case.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

News alert I just got from WaPo: "Donald Trump halts big-money fundraising, an unusual move that cuts off cash to the GOP"

L o loving l, sink the ship Donald!

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/791023924792455169

quote:

Trump halts big-money fundraising, cutting off cash to the party — a scoop from @mateagold
http://wapo.st/2ePoklo

Democrat plant CONFIRMED.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Yes but Trump has the endorsements of Chip Chipperson and Paul Hargis.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Donald Trump really is making America great again

By destroying the Republican Party :getin:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think it's really impressive how effectively Trump solved Clinton's "enthusiasm gap" problem for her.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

PT6A posted:

I think it's really impressive how effectively Trump solved Clinton's "enthusiasm gap" problem for her.

Seriously. Imagine the timeline where it's Jeb! vs. Hillary.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Trump is like the only opponent lovely enough to break through 30 years of propaganda against Clinton and make many people realize she's not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Jay Z's doing a GOTV thing in Cleveland November 4th . Don't think I need to mention which candidate it's for

• Locked thread