Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

emdash posted:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/undercover-border-militia-immigration-bauer

Probably already posted but clearly worth a repost since the last several pages have been real bad. Mother Jones' new longform piece by a reporter who joined a border militia undercover.

Wow, this is the same journalist that went undercover working as a prison guard in the for-profit prison industry. He really picks the fun assignments, eh? Mad respect for this dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

foobardog posted:

Seriously. Imagine the timeline where it's Jeb! vs. Hillary.

Turnout at all time low.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Kevyn posted:

Yes but Trump has the endorsements of Chip Chipperson and Paul Hargis.

I mean those characters unintentionally represent different sides of Trump's personality so that makes sense.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Probably I am showing my ignorance but my worry is that a single nuclear disaster would carry really bad consequences. If we multiply the number of reactors and get even a single corrupt company or toothless regulation it increases the chances of a fukushima.

Like, how could we guarantee we would not get a nuclear version of Deepwater horizon.

Like, as others have said, if you let the navy have a monopoly on it, I am OK with that. My worry is a general lack of faith in regulating American enterprise

Even Chernobyl only killed a few thousand people all in over the past 30 years, and frankly all the abandoned land around it is a thriving nature reserve now. Fukushima killed 2 people and both of them were killed as the result of plain old explosions, as you can get at any sort of power facility - and as a reminder that took a major earthquake and a huge tsunami hitting in close succession to even happen - while Chernobyl took a horrible reactor design plus operator error plus the Soviet government trying to cover things up when immediate evacuations would have saved a lot of people. And it's not like we just plop them down right next to city hall anyway.

Like the lagoons we store pig poo poo in from farms currently is more deadly in a wider area to the environment than all nuclear problems in every country since the first nuclear bombs were invented, let alone commercial nuclear power incident. To say nothing of the results of just living next to coal power plants for a while.

Kilroy posted:

I guess everyone in this thread is living in some alt-Earth where only the fabulously wealth would ever bother to move to another country.

Only very wealthy people not only work outside of the country but also renounce their US citizenship because having it causes such high taxes that they can afford to do it.

Kilroy posted:

Again - once you renounce your total assets are counted as income for that year.

And you have to be rather wealthy in order to have so many assets in a country you don't live in, for that to be a serious problem. Fuckin' duh. You can hardly afford to maintain any extensive property back in the US if you work a normal job overseas in France or Romania or whatever.

Kilroy posted:

giving up your US citizenship is not "extreme and ridiculous" you unbelievable rear end in a top hat

Lol yeah it is. There are currently over 310 million American citizens, around 8 million of whom are expatriates of some sort, and there haven't been any years where more than 6000 people gave up that citizenship. Most years have been under 4000.

If that was a full 6000 people every year for the past 30 years (which it isn't) that'd be only 180,000 people. That's extreme and ridiculous. Frankly, a lot of people who don't want to pay US taxes anymore just move their assets out of US domestic banks and move somewhere the local authorities won't care if you don't pay American taxes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meanwhile, two senate hopefuls in NH debate over what really matters:
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/791026787472007168

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Trabisnikof posted:

No I mean, if you had citizenship somewhere and wanted to run for office or avoid as much lingering social stigma of being a foreigner as possible. Ted Cruz pronouncing his Canadian citizenship being a prime example, he doesn't hate Canada he just needs to be "more American" for the job he wants .

Or the other way around for that matter. Doesn't need to be public office either. I was born with dual American-Canadian citizenship, and need(ed) to be more American for various careers/positions/clearances/etc. In some areas it's a requirement to give up your foreign citizenship - though enforcement is spotty, you at minimum need to express willingness to renounce and surrender a foreign passport.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It's hard for me to imagine that Trump is bringing in a significant amount of money to the GOP at this point, anyway

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

DEAR GOD HE HAS A FAMILY

E: oh wait, not anymore, thanks wiki

Armani fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 25, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

blue squares posted:

It's hard for me to imagine that Trump is bringing in a significant amount of money to the GOP at this point, anyway

Don't forget that it's nearly impossible to cancel recurring donations on his site without also canceling your credit card!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm so sorry to keep the expat derail going but there's a bunch of expats actually reading this and I wanted to clarify for them that the Foreign Earned Income exclusion DOES NOT apply to income earned through your own business (ie: money you make yourself not through an employer). That is subject to the Self-Employment Tax (15% of your net gains) and if you're a US citizen you need to be filing every year and paying that tax, even if you make less than $90.000 anually.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Yeah, Singapore makes all citizens renounce their other citizenships and they will gently caress you over hard if they find out you didn't. This applies to dual citizens at birth too, I think you have until age 21.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

blue squares posted:

I think the news is more significant in that it indicates his spite for his own party.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

With 2 weeks to go, I'd have to imagine it was just not necessary anymore. At this point you should have finalized your spending, and how quickly can you deploy money coming in at such a late stage?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Really, if anything, we should be collecting taxes on non-citizens living outside of the united states. Hegemons are expensive, people.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What happens if a US expat just doesn't pay USA taxes? Can the IRS send someone start an extradition process?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

And you have to be rather wealthy in order to have so many assets in a country you don't live in, for that to be a serious problem. Fuckin' duh. You can hardly afford to maintain any extensive property back in the US if you work a normal job overseas in France or Romania or whatever.
It seems like a lot of people continue to think the taxation only applies to assets in the US, despite that being absolutely not the case at all and me pointing out that this is not the case at all several times. For the all the bleating about "Kilroy isn't arguing in good faith" going on in this thread it seems that most people aren't actually reading by posts before typing up an angry reply in a huff.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm so sorry to keep the expat derail going but there's a bunch of expats actually reading this and I wanted to clarify for them that the Foreign Earned Income exclusion DOES NOT apply to income earned through your own business (ie: money you make yourself not through an employer). That is subject to the Self-Employment Tax (15% of your net gains) and if you're a US citizen you need to be filing every year and paying that tax, even if you make less than $90.000 anually.
Nah gently caress you because you're rich, don't you see?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Yes, I posted this above, and have paid it in the past.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Those poor small business owners.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Volcott posted:

Really, if anything, we should be collecting taxes on non-citizens living outside of the united states. Hegemons are expensive, people.

Which is why we should charge protection money to NATO members! Vote Trump!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Crow Jane posted:

Jay Z's doing a GOTV thing in Cleveland November 4th . Don't think I need to mention which candidate it's for

darrell castle?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What happens if a US expat just doesn't pay USA taxes? Can the IRS send someone start an extradition process?

They do send someone.

Agent 47. :getin:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Enforcement is generally pretty lax and you are unlikely to be audited unless you attract attention. I know several expats and former expats who didn't even know they were supposed to file and none of them faced any consequences for it. But, you are still in violation of the tax code and that can still bite you in the rear end in all the ways that normally does. Also, the FATCA requirements for reporting to FinCEN are not directly related to the tax code and enforcement there is not lax.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

computer parts posted:

Ah yes, there's that good-faith posting I've haven't been doing enough of :rolleyes:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

I don't know if you're joking but I run my own business where I live abroad, I make about 30k a year and have to pay an additional 15% in US taxes on top of local taxes.

That's 15% off my sole income of 30k. Granted living costs are lower where I live, but still.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

gohmak posted:

Signs point to yes.

Come the gently caress on, if there was an actual, verifiable case of him raping a minor, don't you think the Hillary campaign would be all over that?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

That's where FATCA comes in, many countries won't extradite for tax offenses but the IRS can now find and lock down your bank accounts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

emdash posted:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/undercover-border-militia-immigration-bauer

Probably already posted but clearly worth a repost since the last several pages have been real bad. Mother Jones' new longform piece by a reporter who joined a border militia undercover.

:psyduck: Jesus, these guys are nuts.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kilroy posted:

Ah yes, there's that good-faith posting I've haven't been doing enough of :rolleyes:

$2 million in retirement assets worth of it?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Feldegast42 posted:

What is with all the people crawling out of the cracks saying that Hitlery will be starting WW3 ANY DAY NOW

pretty sure that was first said by one of Putin's cronies and I guess the GOP picked it up and ran with it?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Liquid Communism posted:

$2 million in retirement assets worth of it?

And 30 days to visit a sick relative.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

My kingdom for a :ryanpop:

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
Hey look guys "The left assumes all women are liberals." - Trump kegger (Talahassee FL)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdLQFPTXBPg

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Oh yeah and those amazing evacuation services the US Embassy allegedly offers are crap compared to what other developed countries have and you usually get billed afterwards. I think in Beirut back in '06 the Americans got evacuated a week after everyone else.

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 25, 2016

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Chinese Gordon posted:

My kingdom for a :ryanpop:

Why would we need a smilie for some rando who won't even be a Congressman come January? :smuggo:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

please stop my boner cant take it anymore

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Complaint Compilation posted:

Hey look guys "The left assumes all women are liberals." - Trump kegger (Talahassee FL)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdLQFPTXBPg

Pretty small/low energy crowd there

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/AP/status/791031177570295808
But it's the democrats who are rigging the election for realsies

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

computer parts posted:

And 30 days to visit a sick relative.

It's a testament to how lovely workers get treated in the US that it is considered a pipe dream that someone would be able to take four weeks off of work without being bankrupted.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

foobardog posted:

Seriously. Imagine the timeline where it's Jeb! vs. Hillary.

Obviously Jeb! would have run a more professional campaign, but judging by his performance in the primaries, I find it unlikely he would have generated a lot of enthusiasm. The media would have eaten up Bush vs Clinton II: Please Clapaloo, but let's not forget that the Bush name is also pretty tarnished and may have fired up the Dem base old enough to remember what an utter disaster the previous Bush presidency was. Really, if you look at the field of Republican contenders in the primaries, I'm sure some of them would have come within striking distance of Clinton due to the sheer hatred many Republicans feel towards Clinton, but look at the hopefuls: amateuristic doofuses who would have fallen sooner or later (e.g. Carson), religious extremists unpalatable to the public at large (e.g. Santorum, Cruz, Huckabee), cardboard cutouts too similar to Romney (e.g. Rubio, Perry), McCain retreads (e.g. Graham, Kasich) or oddballs with 0 personal charm (e.g. Paul the Younger, Fiorina).

In addition, if their strategy against Trump is anything to go by, the Clinton camp is capable of running an extremely professional campaign tailor-made to the weaknesses of their opponents. They have absorbed the lessons learnt of the failures of Gore and Kerry as well as their failure to defeat Obama in the Dem primaries of 2004. What Clinton may lack in personal charm compared to Obama, she makes up for in sheer ruthlessness and preparedness. I don't think any of the Republican hopefuls could have matched that.

As a last point, consider this: Hillary has surrogates campaigning for her such as Bill, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Biden and the Obamas. What do the Republicans have on offer? No one who can match these people's charisma or rhetoric. I mean, can you imagine Dick Cheney going on the stump for Jeb Bush? Or Romney or McCain hitting the campaign trail for Ted Cruz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/791031177570295808
But it's the democrats who are rigging the election for realsies

So she goes to jail now right?

• Locked thread