Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

n4 posted:

So I'm so late on BoI. It's been in my steam library for years and I just never played it. But I've now mostly completed the original. Should I bother with wrath of the lamb or just move on to Rebirth?

Just play Rebirth. The original is complete trash in comparison, and I say this as someone with 100+ hours in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

n4 posted:

So I'm so late on BoI. It's been in my steam library for years and I just never played it. But I've now mostly completed the original. Should I bother with wrath of the lamb or just move on to Rebirth?

Edmund McMillionDollarScatfetish himself admitted that Rebirth is the "true" version of Isaac, since he never anticipated the scale of the original's success (which was limited by Flash, among other things).
You should definitely start with Rebirth since it has the entire base game, but still, don't buy any DLC until you've nearly maxxed it all out. Isaac suffers from "100% Syndrome" where the DLC assumes you're already dominated the base game and you'll be at a tremendous disadvantage if you haven't already unlocked the best base items before going after the DLC.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Gromit posted:

What was the collision detection like with that? Did everything hit you all the time, or nothing, or what?

Unfortunately it reset after leaving the room, the increase in size was because of the Strenght card. Now, if it had been Placebo + One makes you larger, that would be a whole different story.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Orange Harrison posted:

"100% Syndrome"

Plus with all the new items the item pool will be saturated with crazy new poo poo. The base game does (i think) a good job with its item distribution curve to get new players into the swing of things.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
Brimstone + Soy Milk + Anti-Gravity is actually pretty good.

Normally Brimstone and Soy Milk are bad because it's hard to tap shoot brimstone. But with Anti-Gravity, the beams stick around and do their full damage. So now you can spam Brimstone lasers as fast as you want and fill the room with them (the image doesn't really do it justice since I was trying to move and shoot while taking a screenshot).

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Parasite + Ludovico is remarkably good, because micro tears get spit out every tick the big tear touches a target, and Ludo makes your tears piercing & spectral too. Combine with Holy Light for even more splash damage and pretty much everything dies fast.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
MEGA Blast get!

Never touching The Keeper again.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

TopHatGenius posted:

Never touching The Keeper again.

After spending the last month playing the Keept and the Lost and BRAINS and the fast challenge it was SO loving GREAT to just play the game with normal characters again. I forgot how much fun the game is becasue i'd spent so long smashing my own dick with a hammer over na dover playing lovely challenges and gimmick characters.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Lost is much more fun, you can be so much more aggressive

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Lost is much more fun, you can be so much more aggressive

This. With Holy Mantel, the Lost is insanely fun. Free devil deals and an always-maxed devil room chance? Don't mind if I do!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Even pre-Afterbirth i always found The Lost hard but enjoyable. Same with Solar System.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Drunken Baker posted:

After spending the last month playing the Keept and the Lost and BRAINS and the fast challenge it was SO loving GREAT to just play the game with normal characters again. I forgot how much fun the game is becasue i'd spent so long smashing my own dick with a hammer over na dover playing lovely challenges and gimmick characters.

Ditto to this. The only way to have enjoy life is to not play the challenges, really.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SaviourX posted:

Ditto to this. The only way to have enjoy life is to not play the challenges, really.

I fully endorse anybody burnt out on challenges to start a new save file and drop a 1001% save in it. You can always come back to unlock stuff legit in the future, but I haven't gone back to my old file ever since I made the new one. It's just too much fun to play the drat game instead of grinding it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I eagerly await Afterbirth+'s inevitable Keeper Mega Satan kill with dumpster grade build and no shops/item rooms challenge.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the best thing about Isaac's Heart is that northernlion's fans still get mad at him when he doesn't take it

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Can't blame him really, part of why I watch NL is he's entertaining enough and good enough at the game to be passable but not so good that he is boring to watch. There is some tension when he plays because he is the kind of person who makes mistakes. Isaac's Heart moves your hitbox and while it can vastly break the game wide open with certain items it doesn't change how fucky it makes dodging.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Lost a streak because I picked up 9 Lives on the Chest and went into a triple Polycephalus room where they popped up right underneath me. I thought that was patched out?

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

BJPaskoff posted:

Lost a streak because I picked up 9 Lives on the Chest and went into a triple Polycephalus room where they popped up right underneath me. I thought that was patched out?

I've noticed this as well. Standing still when fighting Stain and Polycephalus has worked consistently in the past, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So I'm guessing it was never patched out and I've just been lucky?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Wugga posted:

I've noticed this as well. Standing still when fighting Stain and Polycephalus has worked consistently in the past, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So I'm guessing it was never patched out and I've just been lucky?

I only notice it on the Chest where there's multiple. One will pop up nearby, and the other will pop up directly under me and hit me with unavoidable damage. I'm guessing the code works in such a way that it pushes one away from you so you don't get insta-gibbed, but if there's multiple in the room the code to avoid that breaks down.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
I only just started to play the Lost after finally unlocking the holy mantle and managed to get incredibly lucky after only a few attempts. Got the hard mode marks for boss rush, Hush, Satan, and The Lamb all in one run.

Getting death's touch and glass cannon early on, in addition to triple shot and assorted damage ups made it a relative cake walk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIzQ4wftY

All I've got left is Mega Satan and Greed mode. Then onto the Keeper..... Ugh

Stockwell fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 16, 2016

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

What's all this racket up here, Barnett? You watchin' your girl cartoons again?
I just got 1001% after slamming my head into the Keeper repeatedly over the weekend. I'm never touching that piece of poo poo ever again.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I'm still convinced they'll fix the keeper as part of the next expansion just like they did with the lost.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Wish I'd gotten further into the run I just had. I got SPUN! on the first floor, and on the second I used Diplopia to get 2 Little Stevens.

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

Atomicated posted:

I'm still convinced they'll fix the keeper as part of the next expansion just like they did with the lost.

I maintain that the only thing the keeper needs to be a fun character to play is swallowed penny as his starting trinket. You can make him work without it but the penny makes the margin for error way wider. My hush kill with him took 8 minutes because I had piss poor dps, but swallowed penny bailed me out. I can't imagine beating the hush without it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I fear what the next guy's gimmick will be if they fix the Hush.

Probably something lovely like old lost and old Keeper and a time limit and also Tyrone comes to your house and punches you in the nuts.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Skunkrocker posted:

I fear what the next guy's gimmick will be if they fix the Hush.

Probably something lovely like old lost and old Keeper and a time limit and also Tyrone comes to your house and punches you in the nuts.

I think they said there is only one new character, and he doesn't seem to be yet another hard mode. He starts out with the Void for one, which assimilates the effects of active items.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
WZTR SRLA

Dr. Fetus 1st item room. IPECAC 2nd item room. I'm a huge sissy and re-rolled the dr. fetus into the mind. :sigh: If you pick up both you should be immune to bomb damage.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I'm like five coins short of unlocking the Holy Mantle as a starting item for The Lost, so I figured I'd try Azazel, since he's still at 0% for the greed machine to jam.

Put two coins in of my 85 + 2 of diamonds card, greed machine jams at 0% somehow. :shepicide:

Presumably it counts decimal places but doesn't show it, but god drat if that isn't frustrating.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

This is one of the dumbest rooms in the game when it spawns without a pushable barrel. Stood too close to the top/bottom barrel when shooting it? Take a heart of damage! Shot any barrel besides the four outermost ones? Take a heart of damage! Stood far enough away from one of the four outermost barrels, but didn't move fast enough towards it after setting off the chain? Take a heart of damage! Stood far enough away, but moved too fast because you got a speed pill/item/misjudged your speed? Take a heart of damage!

Mystery Prize posted:

I'm like five coins short of unlocking the Holy Mantle as a starting item for The Lost, so I figured I'd try Azazel, since he's still at 0% for the greed machine to jam.

Put two coins in of my 85 + 2 of diamonds card, greed machine jams at 0% somehow. :shepicide:

Presumably it counts decimal places but doesn't show it, but god drat if that isn't frustrating.

I can't imagine doing the greed machine legit. Even after being patched to not jam after three coins it's still a huge shitshow that loves to gently caress you over.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Wrist Watch posted:

I can't imagine doing the greed machine legit. Even after being patched to not jam after three coins it's still a huge shitshow that loves to gently caress you over.

MIne's on 900 and something currently and it's been pretty easy going. I've had several runs when I've been able to get 50-70 coins in at the end. Luck of the draw I guess. I've just been grinding one character until their chance of breaking the machine gets too high, and then moving on to the next. Luck of the draw, I guess.

It's worth noting that since the % chance of breaking is (presumably) per coin, it actually mounts up pretty quickly. For instance if you've got 50 coins and your chance of breaking is 3% then your chance of getting all 50 coins in without it breaking is only ~20%.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Had 5 hearts when I started this room. My damage output wasn't high. Maybe I could have bombed out of here. I can't remember if they're sealed in the Chest. Sometimes the game just hates you.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

411 hours later I finally beat MegaSatan with The Lost. Any tips with The Keeper?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Pray for the Swallowed Penny and every +tears item in the game, weep bitch tears IRL after dying for the five hundredth time.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Met posted:

Had 5 hearts when I started this room. My damage output wasn't high. Maybe I could have bombed out of here. I can't remember if they're sealed in the Chest. Sometimes the game just hates you.

:stare:

I've never seen that room before, what the gently caress?

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Darkoni posted:

411 hours later I finally beat MegaSatan with The Lost. Any tips with The Keeper?

Don't take pills (without phd). One accidental health down and you're screwed.

Mannetosen
Aug 22, 2010

Try to get piggy bank/swallowed penny/fanny pack. Make arcades spawn and use demon beggars/blood banks as much as possible. One blood bag is usually a free deal with the devil plus a small speed boost and almost every single demon beggar payout is really great.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
My keeper once had Habit + Car Battery + Sack Head which lets you infinitely spawn coins and batteries until every tile is occupied. That's how I finally beat Hush.
*and the starting Wooden Nickel

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Darkoni posted:

Yeah, don't do it.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Don't take pills (without phd). One accidental health down and you're screwed.
Don't take pills without phd unless there's a health upgrade available. My best Keeper run was seriously improved by knowing the health up and health down pills in rotation combined with 9 lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Darkoni posted:

If your starting item isn't something on the relative power level of Tractor Beam/Holy Mantle/Tech X/Epic Fetus/D6, reroll it. If given a choice between items, prioritize speed, fire rate, and luck. Don't take pills unless you have PHD.

Keeper's triple shot is inherent to him; you don't start with Third Eye. If you don't mind firing once every five minutes, it will stack with Triple Shot/Mutant Spider for six/seven shots.

Know how to improve your chances of Devil/Angel Rooms, because every single point of damage you take is to red hearts, which will torpedo your base chance. Blow up shopkeepers, put 10 coins in the Donation Machine every time, give money to beggars, blow up devil beggars.

Keeper's base luck is -2. If you need a point of comparison, Cain's is 1, non-Bloody Lazarus is -1, and everyone else is zero. Put all of your money into donation machines and destroy every piece of poop and fire that you see in the hopes that you get more luck.

Finally, don't go for Mega Satan immediately: Your first boss target is Isaac in the Cathedral so that you unlock the Wooden Nickel, which will help save your rear end in later runs. Save Boss Rush for last because Sticky Nickels is the biggest troll in the game besides actually trying to play as Keeper.

edit: If you're not going for Hush/Boss Rush, don't be too afraid to take your time and explore pre-Womb levels. Yes, you're more likely to die if you explore more rooms than you need to. No, you're not getting enough keys on Hard Mode with negative luck unless you clear every room. However, if you left Basement 1 with something that would trivialize every other character's run, you shouldn't worry too much.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 26, 2016