Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Kilroy posted:

I certainly don't consider them poor, but for someone retiring that is not an unreasonable amount of total assets. It makes them upper-middle class, but not fat cats.

So someone made a lifetime of earnings in the USA with all the benefits that entails, then wants to retire and leave because they don't want to help anyone else? Sounds like a group of real gems that we as tax paying americans that aren't leaving should clearly feel bad about. :cry:

quote:

Are you also under the impression that only the US and Eritrea evacuate their citizens when necessary? You're right about working in the US, but that's a function of the US' hosed-up immigration policies, and not a reason to implement idiotic taxation schemes.

The benefits you get overseas from being a US citizen are identical to the ones you get being a citizen of any first-world nation. The US does nothing special or extra here, to justify these dumb laws.

If you don't want to pay income taxes to the USA and believe it gives you absolutely zero benefits now or in the future, then renounce your citizenship. I don't want to do this because I believe the benefits I listed are worth something (also because I love my country you America hater).

Also I want to bring this "idiotic taxation scheme" back up again:

Kilroy posted:

If you have a 401k account in the US but have not yet retired and drawn from it, then the value of that 401k is treated as income the year you renounce and you own income taxes on it. The account itself is untouched and remains as-is, and when you actually go to draw on it you will be subject to whatever taxes you were going to owe from drawing on it anyway.

Go back and read my earlier post, the reason it isn't stupid is that you aren't subject to the second tax you listed. You are misinterpreting the tax law, it isn't dumb, you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Kilroy posted:

okay "Americans living overseas" = "rich people" got it

My wife and I are about to go move to Thailand and Vietnam. She's hooking expatriates there with overseas health insurance and is perhaps the only person alive who understands how the affordable Care act interacts with that and all of the tax stuff mentioned. The folks we're targeting are these mini enclaves of expatriates. They're just regular working joes, writing, coding, translating, doing engineering and QC work, sometimes answering phones...

It's an increasing tend among millennials to realize that their prospects and earning power are much higher overseas, and that their skills will be valued, respected, and make a bigger difference in that environment.

Why poo poo on expatriates? How else will we spread our business culture overseas?

I understand the anger and how lovely these tax laws are.

Martin Random fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 25, 2016

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Ornamented Death posted:

The two sides are talking past each other. People arguing with Kilroy are talking solely about the taxes assessed on someone that renounced their citizenship. Kilroy seems to be bouncing back and forth between that and the taxes expats (that are still citizens) have to pay. Some actual expats are doing drive-bys and supporting Kilroy without realizing he keeps switching arguments.
computer parts wasn't talking "solely about the taxes assessed on someone that renounced their citizenship".

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm so sorry to keep the expat derail going but there's a bunch of expats actually reading this and I wanted to clarify for them that the Foreign Earned Income exclusion DOES NOT apply to income earned through your own business (ie: money you make yourself not through an employer). That is subject to the Self-Employment Tax (15% of your net gains) and if you're a US citizen you need to be filing every year and paying that tax, even if you make less than $90.000 anually.

computer parts posted:

Those poor small business owners.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/status/791022440377782272

This man is a literal sociopath.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Martin Random posted:

My wife and I are about to go move to Thailand and Vietnam. She's hooking expatriates there with overseas health insurance and is perhaps the only person alive who understands how the affordable Care act interacts with that and all of the tax stuff mentioned. The folks we're targeting are these mini enclaves of expatriates. They're just regular working joes, writing, coding, translating, doing engineering and QC work, sometimes answering phones...

I understand the anger and how lovely these tax laws are.

How are they lovely though? You're an American citizen, you have to pay American taxes. We as a country have decided that a USA citizenship is worth something (and people who are trying to immigrate to the USA would probably agree).

It isn't a netflix account that you can cancel and re-subscribe to if you change your mind.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jesus loving Christ.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Does this not also mean that whenever ISIS launches an attack, it is because they favor Trump?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Reminder that Scott Adams is a literal rape apologist.

:barf: at your own risk.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Forgall posted:

computer parts wasn't talking "solely about the taxes assessed on someone that renounced their citizenship".

Yeah I'm being flippant with people who are going into FYGM mode when they get inconvenienced.

Especially funny when they bemoan other people for doing the same thing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Secret Service have to already be planning the conversation they're going to have with this idiot.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

Yeah I'm being flippant with people who are going into FYGM mode when they get inconvenienced.
You are making GBS threads on someone making 30k a year.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
I don't even get the logic of that.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Stereotype posted:

How are they lovely though? You're an American citizen, you have to pay American taxes. We as a country have decided that a USA citizenship is worth something (and people who are trying to immigrate to the USA would probably agree).

It isn't a netflix account that you can cancel and re-subscribe to if you change your mind.

If you're looking to me to argue that the umbrella of protection and services that come with citizenship arent valuable and that expatriates shouldnt pay their fair share for them, you're looking in the wrong place. But the system in place is not producing the kind of incentives that are ideal.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Stereotype posted:

You have to admit, this would own though,

Forgall posted:

30k a year in a country where cost of living is way lower.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Stereotype posted:

An American citizenship is not worth some amount of money that you pay in taxes. People who defraud the IRS don't lose their citizenship over it.

If working abroad as an American means you have to pay taxes in that country as well as in your own, it is essentially a tax on working abroad as an American. It discourages working and living abroad for Americans.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 25, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

member when al-qaeda attacked us so much after we killed bin laden.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 25, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Forgall posted:

They're also really bad at running a small business if they only make $30k/year.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

Coal ash is more radioactive than nuclear power waste
I doubt that sentence as written.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

It seems like a lot of people continue to think the taxation only applies to assets in the US, despite that being absolutely not the case at all and me pointing out that this is not the case at all several times. For the all the bleating about "Kilroy isn't arguing in good faith" going on in this thread it seems that most people aren't actually reading by posts before typing up an angry reply in a huff.

Nah gently caress you because you're rich, don't you see?

Huffing and pouting because your massive holdings were taxed is still ridiculous dude. Stop being such a brat about your wealth.

The average expat will not have a massive amount of assets, period, and getting taxed on the entirety of their assets as income because they threw a hissy fit and tried to give up citizenship would not result in a large tax bill.

PT6A posted:

I suppose that's true, but it's just odd that the US is one of two countries in the entire world where this is the case. I think it's valid to ask why that is if you're personally affected by it.

It's only odd because it makes a ton of sense, so it's odd other countries haven't done it. There's tons of UK celebs dodging taxes by staying in other Anglosphere countries, for instance. And the UK's just leaving money on the table by not being aggressive on things.

Forgall posted:

They're free to give up their citizenship then. Since they're so broke, they won't have much in the way of assets to get taxed. Problem solved.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

Is he saying if there is a terrorist attack he'll vote for Hillary cause isis wants Trump?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Martin Random posted:

If you're looking to me to argue that the umbrella of protection and services that come with citizenship arent valuable and that expatriates shouldnt pay their fair share for them, you're looking in the wrong place. But the system in place is not producing the kind of incentives that are ideal.

What incentives is it supposed to produce? I'm honestly curious as to why the US government would care at all about people who either want to renounce their citizenship, or who don't want to use their talents to improve things in the USA.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

An American citizenship is not worth some amount of money that you pay in taxes. People who defraud the IRS don't lose their citizenship over it.

Yeah they lose their freedom (they go to jail).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how retarded do you have to be to not realize isis would prefer trump. getting bombed is their best recruitment tool.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Cingulate posted:

Coal Ash is More Radioactive Than Nuclear Waste

The crux of the article is that while nuclear waste is more radioactive intrinsically, it is kept contained and handled carefully while coal ash is just sprayed all over everything constantly and is also radioactive.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Groovelord Neato posted:

how retarded do you have to be to not realize isis would prefer trump. getting bombed is their best recruitment tool.

Around Trump level, I'd say

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Stereotype posted:

Yeah they lose their freedom (they go to jail).

* citation needed

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Cingulate posted:

Not on equal weight basis but because a coal power plant produces thousands of times as much waste in terms of volume as a nuclear power plant does

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
Everyone read that Mother Jones article on militia groups. You share a ton of landmass with these dudes and they have been utterly hosed by life and are threatening unrelated non-white child lives because concrete and steel got outsourced to brown countries by their white American bosses.

What a loving mess, what can be done? Universal Income isn't going to fix it - these people hate the very civil fabric that let's them play war in wal-mart parking lots and are super duper into not showing offense or weakness (while being loving offended and weakened by seemingly everything) to the point that they look and act like the made-up straw men they hate. Jesus help us.

Armani fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 25, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Stereotype posted:

Coal Ash is More Radioactive Than Nuclear Waste

The crux of the article is that while nuclear waste is more radioactive intrinsically, it is kept contained and handled carefully while coal ash is just sprayed all over everything constantly and is also radioactive.

Coal ash is also in a form that's a lot easier to end up inside of people. Nobody's going to gnaw on a spent fuel rod, but they can easily breathe in or eat coal ash, which puts it right in the worst place for them.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I'm an American expat. Filing taxes and filling out FATCA every year is a huge loving pain. It doesn't help that most of the tax prep software is not designed at all to deal with us (TurboTax didn't even have the ability to enter foreign addresses until last year).

I also use a bank that isn't particularly good and has much higher fees than other local banks just because I know that it is big enough and has enough American customers that it will comply with whatever nonsense reporting requirements the U.S. cooks up and it won't just suddenly cancel my accounts and tell me to bank somewhere else.

I've also been avoiding mixing my money with my girlfriend's, so that she doesn't get caught up in anything. It would be easier for us to have a joint account, but it would probably get messy with the FATCA reporting requirements.

It's not the worst thing in the world, but it certainly shouldn't be as lovely as it is for someone whose only source of income is a middle-class paycheck.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Love it how the nationalism has come out all of a sudden. If the case for taxing expatriate income is such a slam dunk then why don't D&D social democratic Utopias Sweden, Denmark, or Finland do it? Or is this the same "American exceptionalism" that the right wing brings up when they say it's impossible for America to have universal health care?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armani posted:

Everyone read that Mother Jones article on militia groups. You share a ton of landmass with these dudes and they have been utterly hosed by life and are threatening unrelated non-white child lives because concrete and steel got outsourced to brown countries by their white American bosses.

What a loving mess, what can be done? Universal Income isn't going to fix it - these people hate the very civil fabric that let's them play war in wal-mart parking lots and are super duper into not showing offense or weakness to the point that they look and act like the made-up straw men they hate. Jesus help us.

the us has always had these dudes. except instead of throwing emmett till in a river now they're sullenly stalking around the desert looking for immigrants to hunt

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Furnaceface posted:

* citation needed

Only around 2000 people a year are convicted of tax fraud. It does happen though
http://taxattorneydaily.com/fraud-and-tax-crimes/#if-you-are-caught-cheating

Even famous people!
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/9-celebs-prison-tax-evasion-article-1.2469293

Most people can just claim that they are dumb and didn't understand the taxes then pay the penalty though

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'm not even worried about expat income taxes, just continually twatting kilroy on the insistence that working class people have anything to worry about if they choose to abandon their citizenship and move their money out of the country.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gail Wynand posted:

Love it how the nationalism has come out all of a sudden. If the case for taxing expatriate income is such a slam dunk then why don't D&D social democratic Utopias Sweden, Denmark, or Finland do it?

Probably because they didn't have too many expats (especially outside of the EU) until fairly recently.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

boner confessor posted:

the us has always had these dudes. except instead of throwing emmett till in a river now they're sullenly stalking around the desert looking for immigrants to hunt

fair point and I think my heightened sense of oh gently caress is more or less social media, which is kind of a huge deal in getting ideas and recruitment across for, we'll, anything at this point. The entire article and militia gathering for it was made possible thanks to Facebook.

E: on top of that, it's super personal. I have family that could be indistinguishable from the code-named military dudes in there. I have a relative who fought in bush's wars, worked for subway, and had a sick child and no career prospects in the land he fought for. He could be that dude in the article, as far as I loving know.

Armani fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 25, 2016

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

I would recommend checking his twitter right this second, he is in full meltdown "I'm not owned!" mode and it's amazing. We should have a list of people to watch in the OP or something.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Huffing and pouting because your massive holdings were taxed is still ridiculous dude. Stop being such a brat about your wealth.

The average expat will not have a massive amount of assets, period, and getting taxed on the entirety of their assets as income because they threw a hissy fit and tried to give up citizenship would not result in a large tax bill.

It's only odd because it makes a ton of sense, so it's odd other countries haven't done it. There's tons of UK celebs dodging taxes by staying in other Anglosphere countries, for instance. And the UK's just leaving money on the table by not being aggressive on things.

They're free to give up their citizenship then. Since they're so broke, they won't have much in the way of assets to get taxed. Problem solved.

I don't have a horse in this race. My first post was just trying to warn people that might think they don't have to file/pay US taxes just because they don't earn that much that actually you do.

Yes, I make 30K a year. It's higher than the average income where I live but by no means a luxury living and giving away 15% for no tangible benefit stings.

In my case I pay it because I plan on living in the US at some point and I'd rather not get hosed in the rear end by the IRS down the line.

Otherwise, it's definitely not worth it and I would consider dropping my US citizenship.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
ISIS is currently trying not to lose Mosul, so they're a little busy right now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Crow Jane posted:

Around Trump level, I'd say
Ah yes, that level of "we should do a sneak attack on a city 1.5 million people". That level of retarded.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Armani posted:

fair point and I think my heightened sense of oh gently caress is more or less social media, which is kind of a huge deal in getting ideas and recruitment across for, we'll, anything at this point. The entire article and militia gathering for it was made possible thanks to Facebook.

as much as social media can be used to organize and advertise these kinds of groups, it also serves to attract attention to more dangerous groups and invites mockery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Who is this Schumer guy? And why is he such an unremitting arse hole?

• Locked thread