Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

Ahahah new lockbox pet is loving rottweilers.

We must get one for every dental. Fleet mascots.

Anyone play Neverwinter? Are these things an enemy mob from there they just copied and pasted?

Aw, they're such pretty little doggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habits
Feb 25, 2008

Assume an accursed shape
cleanse through purity within

Aleth posted:

Aw, they're such pretty little doggies.

Yes they are.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Anyone play Neverwinter?
No.

Well I mean I guess someone does, but it's hilariously sad how badly they botched the game. It had a really strong launch that dropped off dramatically after a month or two after everyone realized how much of a korean-style cash shop screwjob it was. Hell, there's a lot of kMMOs that are less exploitative. It's amazing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Console players are getting their first experience of Mirror Invasion, and if the blog is correct (it probably isn't), the reward is the I.S.S. Stadi Admiralty card. Which console players won't be able to use until _____.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Level 52.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why did Neverwinter even get made? They already had a good D&D MMO that wasn't developed by Cryptic.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Why did Neverwinter even get made? They already had a good D&D MMO that wasn't developed by Cryptic.
I forget the exact details, but I think Atari had the license for D&D 4e video games but they were incompetent and sat on it and that's why we never saw a 4e BG/NWN-style game despite the system basically being perfect for it. But I guess they had Cryptic start some work on an MMO, and Cryptic inherited (or re-bought) the license when they got bought out by PWE who pushed to finish or something? And there it is.

It's a shame too since I think the core gameplay of it is actually really, surprisingly fun, even if the character customization and art direction and such is so horribly generic by Cryptic standards. It's just the cash shop bullshit is so comically blatant and punitive there's no reason to ever actually play it. I'm pretty sure the only goons who played it did so because they scripted the gently caress out of the DOFF-equivalents in the game over NWO's much more robust web portal, but that got nerfed into the ground months back. I mean just the inventory issue alone is so hilariously bad, you get like 20 slots or something but there's a billion different potions and materials and poo poo that drop (to feed into the equally exploitative RNG-heavy item upgrade stuff) and buying inventory space is like fifteen loving dollars and a single character unlock. Then there's poo poo like the companions (the big ticket buy, kinda like STO ships) being way overpriced, having massive cash sinks to make them useble, and also being single character unlocks... :psyduck:

I mean for all we rightly bitch about how poo poo like new ship tiers and the upgrade system ruined STO, it's simple and cheap and generous and welcoming in comparison. NWO is so badly set up it's amazing it's even by the same company, and I imagine PWE hosed around a lot with it during development.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

FuturePastNow posted:

Console players are getting their first experience of Mirror Invasion, and if the blog is correct (it probably isn't), the reward is the I.S.S. Stadi Admiralty card. Which console players won't be able to use until _____.

Nov 15th according to the news post.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Wait, consoles still don't have admiralty? The gently caress are they even doing with that thing?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Failing miserably.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
One of those Dog pets is Mirror Universe Porthos

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Porthos_(mirror)

Mean while

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 24, 2016

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Asimo posted:

I forget the exact details, but I think Atari had the license for D&D 4e video games but they were incompetent and sat on it and that's why we never saw a 4e BG/NWN-style game despite the system basically being perfect for it. But I guess they had Cryptic start some work on an MMO, and Cryptic inherited (or re-bought) the license when they got bought out by PWE who pushed to finish or something? And there it is.

It's a shame too since I think the core gameplay of it is actually really, surprisingly fun, even if the character customization and art direction and such is so horribly generic by Cryptic standards. It's just the cash shop bullshit is so comically blatant and punitive there's no reason to ever actually play it. I'm pretty sure the only goons who played it did so because they scripted the gently caress out of the DOFF-equivalents in the game over NWO's much more robust web portal, but that got nerfed into the ground months back. I mean just the inventory issue alone is so hilariously bad, you get like 20 slots or something but there's a billion different potions and materials and poo poo that drop (to feed into the equally exploitative RNG-heavy item upgrade stuff) and buying inventory space is like fifteen loving dollars and a single character unlock. Then there's poo poo like the companions (the big ticket buy, kinda like STO ships) being way overpriced, having massive cash sinks to make them useble, and also being single character unlocks... :psyduck:

I mean for all we rightly bitch about how poo poo like new ship tiers and the upgrade system ruined STO, it's simple and cheap and generous and welcoming in comparison. NWO is so badly set up it's amazing it's even by the same company, and I imagine PWE hosed around a lot with it during development.

Neverwinter Online was originally a 4 player lobby based co-op game by Cryptic/Atari. When Cryptic got bought by PWE they renegotiated to turn the license from single player/co-op to an MMO. Also the core gameplay in Neverwinter Online was 500% more fun during the pre-alphas, it was even more active with lots of spells and abilities allowing you to move while casting, red zones being not as plentiful but faster to fire off and more deadly and many of the spells and abilities had cross class modifiers (ex. If a cleric buffed the group, some Guardian Fighter skills did many times more damage).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/LaughingTrendy/status/790702445227671553

Trendy finally embraces the light of dear leader

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
They're giving everyone 12 free inventory slots to make up for the kit/module change it looks like.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
pre-loading patch now, looks like ~4-5 GB or so. Just spent some time clearing inventory space & shuffling kits around in anticipation of Kitageddon tomorrow. Some chat in NoPPS seems to indicate that certain things being upgraded to 14k gold results in :fuckoff: / "I Win button" levels of OPness

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 25, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Da Mott Man posted:

Neverwinter Online was originally a 4 player lobby based co-op game by Cryptic/Atari. When Cryptic got bought by PWE they renegotiated to turn the license from single player/co-op to an MMO. Also the core gameplay in Neverwinter Online was 500% more fun during the pre-alphas, it was even more active with lots of spells and abilities allowing you to move while casting, red zones being not as plentiful but faster to fire off and more deadly and many of the spells and abilities had cross class modifiers (ex. If a cleric buffed the group, some Guardian Fighter skills did many times more damage).
Wow, huh. It's just kind of depressing to see the end result there.

MREBoy posted:

pre-loading patch now, looks like ~4-5 GB or so. Just spent some time clearing inventory space & shuffling kits around in anticipation of Kitageddon tomorrow. Some chat in NoPPS seems to indicate that certain things being upgraded to 14k gold results in :fuckoff: / "I Win button" levels of OPness
Yeah I made sure to dump all my many, many loaded kits into my character's inventory yesterday just in case. I haven't even logged in in weeks now, but might as well take some basic measures. Maybe I'll play a bit again when the winter ship grind is there. :effort:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So I guess I should stockpile the poo poo out of ground upgrade kits to flog next upgrade weekend. Or, like, tomorrow.

AotC
May 16, 2010

Da Mott Man posted:

Except then they broke everything in the alpha. Remember when guardian fighter's literally couldn't progress in the story since they couldn't out damage a solo boss's healing?

But seriously, if they left in the fast pace it was originally designed with it would have been a huge success.

Edit: Didn't they have the same fast game play mechanics in creatures? Shame that game got scrapped.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I remember when great weapon fighters dropped at the very end of testing and armor was broken to the point where it didn't work at all, so we couldn't playtest them since even trash mobs were deadly.

They went live completely untested and untuned.

Not that it would matter anyway I guess since they didn't bother to fix any of the enormous game breaking exploits that were reported either. Not until the entire game economy on live was broken beyond any hope of repair and it stayed that way permanently.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I heard at one point the astral diamond(?, the Dil equivalent over there) to Zen ratio is perma-pegged at 500:1. That still the case ?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It was possible to list things at negative prices on the marketplace and create stacks of cash out of nothing

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I did the needful and fixed up the NoP bar after lago failed to do it. Also temporary name for K13 is set:

Edit:

Good doggy!

And the blingiest uniform since the xindi:

Aleth fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 25, 2016

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Cryptic accidentally released the Work in Progress Intel T6 Sovereign in the C-Store. Came with the console and everything. It appears to be gone now.
(not my images)

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 25, 2016

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

According to the reddit, the Lt. Universal got upgrade to a Lt. Com universal/intel.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Where did Fleet Alert go?

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

They fixed the kit module bug that was on tribble (they actually did it a few tribble patches ago)

Just beam up and beam back down.

If that doesn't work, use the chat command /lootcancel

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 25, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MREBoy posted:

I heard at one point the astral diamond(?, the Dil equivalent over there) to Zen ratio is perma-pegged at 500:1. That still the case ?

It was the case permanently after the first few months yeah.

Also the auction house in Neverwinter only uses AD. Imagine the exchange in STO running entirely on Dilithium because that's exactly how it is.

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.

Aleth posted:

Where did Fleet Alert go?

It was the one queue that would pop in a reasonable amount of time, so no doubt it's been taken down so the devs can try and figure out why people were still playing it. Fleet Alert will probably appear again in a few weeks time, 'revamped' with npc voice acting, irritating busywork, a mandatory timer and unskippable cutscene.

Y'know. Like they did with mirror event.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Firing station plasma lance in three

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Two

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

One

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Violent Kitten posted:

a mandatory timer
I'm honestly amazed they haven't added one of these to ISA and CCA yet. :geno:

It's one of the big reasons I finally cooled off and stopped playing this game, I mean beyond all the other numerous reasons. All the new space queues having 10/15-minute timers or whatever makes it blatantly clear that Cryptic wants you to earn marks at their own glacial pace comes hell or high water. And it makes the queues tedious and removes any motivation to actually gear up and play better since it takes the same amount of time for the same reward no matter what.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Tunicate posted:

It was possible to list things at negative prices on the marketplace and create stacks of cash out of nothing

Reported a related issue in STO about a year prior. In STO it actually gave the person selling the items money to the person buying.

AotC
May 16, 2010

Da Mott Man posted:

Reported a related issue in STO about a year prior. In STO it actually gave the person selling the items money to the person buying.

It also caused heap corruption on their transaction/database servers and caused a forced shutdown all of the game servers.

I guess that they have a plan in place for db recovery if it gets corrupted is a good thing?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So what are the good modules to upgrade?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

So what are the good modules to upgrade?

Well not the Vaduwar shield drone, I can tell you that much. Pretty sure the stats didn't change at all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mk 14 kits are invisible in the search; hilarious.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

wait. so what happened to kits? the modules are all sitting in my inventory now and unbound

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Acer Pilot posted:

wait. so what happened to kits? the modules are all sitting in my inventory now and unbound

Kits are now "belts" essentially and all the modules are earrings, you five eared freak.

(the modules have their own character gear slots now, nothing else changed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Welp, the kit I emptied and moved into my inventory vanished.

On the upside, holy poo poo does First City look better.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 26, 2016

• Locked thread