Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tato posted:

Was sad to see Steve Dillon died this weekend, always a huge fan. Didn't realize how he died until I read this thread, it shook me as I've been having abdominal pain the last few days I wrote off to pulling a muscle. Got freaked out by the news and went to the hospital to be sure. Now I'm in a bed scheduled to have my appendix removed after it ruptured last week.

Thanks Steve.

drat

Dillon just saved a life from beyond the grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I'm kinda skeeved that people are openly celebrating Jack Chick's death on social media to the level where he's a Hussein/Osama or even a Phelps or Limbaugh. Dude was a lovely homophobic racist idiot that literally everyone but him regarded as a laughingstock, whose life's work is regarded as ironically "good"/spawned a wave of socially satirical parodies. He was a dumb weird old man who nobody took seriously, and there's this whole contingent of people gleefully celebrating his death as if he caused any real harm whatsoever.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2016/10/24/haw-haw-haw/

quote:

Chick was certainly a crank, but he was anything but harmless. He hurt people. His tracts did and still do real harm to the many people in all the groups he attacked as literally demonic. And his life’s work did real and ongoing harm to all the Christians who read them and believed them. They swallowed Chick’s flattery — you are special, righteous and blessed, everyone else is a servant of Satan deserving of torment — and developed a taste for it. And that stuff is soul-killing poison. There’s a reason pride is considered the cardinal sin, as the gravest threat to the cardinal virtue. Chick’s tracts helped turn his Christian followers into creatures of pride, incapable of love.

Not saying it's a reason to celebrate (I, myself, am just hoping his ideas don't long outlive him), but he was far from harmless.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I won't mourn for Jack Chick and I won't pretend he or his beliefs are due any sort of respect just because he has died (his entire theology boiled down to "My beliefs make me better than you" so there isn't really anything to respect about them), but I certainly wouldn't celebrate his death. It just seems wrong to me. :shrug:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2016/10/24/haw-haw-haw/

Not saying it's a reason to celebrate (I, myself, am just hoping his ideas don't long outlive him), but he was far from harmless.

Fair point. I get the humanistic predilection to celebrate a monstrous human being's death (I was pretty loving glad when Thatcher and Scalia died, for instance, and felt unbelievable relief over Osama's death), I just never really felt like Chick was ever worthy of that level of scorn. I absolutely disagreed, loudly, with everything he ever wrote, but this sense of "ding dong the witch is dead" I'm getting from social media feels kind of ghoulish in this specific case.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
[extremely Sam Jackson voice] Yes he deserved to die and I hope he burns in hell

I actually had never even read one of his cartoons or whatever so I'm kinda ambivalent here if that's not clear

site fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 26, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

[extremely Sam Jackson voice] Yes he deserved to die and I hope he burns in hell

I actually had never even read one of his cartoons or whatever so I'm kinda ambivalent here if that's not clear

You obviously know his stuff well enough to quote them. :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Wheat Loaf posted:

You obviously know his stuff well enough to quote them. :v:

Heyoo! :downsrim:

site fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 26, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Having read many, I only ever found Chick's Christian beliefs notable for how severe his anti-Catholicism was. Everything else was just basic street evangelism that happened to be in a quirky comic book.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

Having read many, I only ever found Chick's Christian beliefs notable for how severe his anti-Catholicism was. Everything else was just basic street evangelism that happened to be in a quirky comic book.

Chick's anti-Catholicism was pretty extreme even by the standards of most varieties of Protestant fundamentalism, which seem to have some sort of theological basis to their sectarianism; Chick's anti-Catholicism was essentially conspiracy theory.

Of course, in America, I think anti-Catholicism was historically tied up with nativism more so than actual religious debate - for one thing, most of the immigrants who arrived in America in the 19th and early 20th centuries tended to be Roman Catholics (Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans), and on top of that, there was the centuries-old view that Catholics are intrinsically disloyal because they owe political allegiance to the head of another temporal government, i.e. the Pope.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think my favorite illustration of how awful Jack Chick's worldview was was this comic where a couple is on a plane and mentions that they've been doing missionary work in Africa, helping the poor, educating them, etc. and the other passenger is horrified that they didn't make converting people their number one priority. Then the plane crashes and the couple goes to hell for not spreading the word of God. And they're like "But didn't we do good?" and God replies "Me saving everyone's souls is the only good that ever needs doing! You presume too much!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

I think my favorite illustration of how awful Jack Chick's worldview was was this comic where a couple is on a plane and mentions that they've been doing missionary work in Africa, helping the poor, educating them, etc. and the other passenger is horrified that they didn't make converting people their number one priority. Then the plane crashes and the couple goes to hell for not spreading the word of God. And they're like "But didn't we do good?" and God replies "Me saving everyone's souls is the only good that ever needs doing! You presume too much!"

Chick did a comic where a serial killer in prison accepts Jesus and dies and goes to heaven, while a bunch of charitable good atheists and Catholics and whatnot go and burn in hell.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm reasonably sure the Bible does say you can't earn salvation through good deeds, but at the same time, I'm also fairly certain that the couple in the strip were actually identified as being evangelists as well, so they presumably have been teaching people about the Bible, spreading the word and so on, but apparently that wasn't good enough for some reason. Presumably because they weren't using Chick tracts to do it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

His Satanism scare stuff is good to use for metal band covers and posters, at least.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The fundamental nature of evangelical faith is that although good works are obviously good, they are also only temporal and therefore the only good work that really matters is saving souls through the Word.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm reasonably sure the Bible does say you can't earn salvation through good deeds, but at the same time, I'm also fairly certain that the couple in the strip were actually identified as being evangelists as well, so they presumably have been teaching people about the Bible, spreading the word and so on, but apparently that wasn't good enough for some reason. Presumably because they weren't using Chick tracts to do it.

Jesus gives exactly 2 explicit instructions for getting to heaven, the first and most important is loving God, the second is loving your neighbors, neither of those involve converting people. Good works doesn't necessarily fall under that, but providing aid to the needy is something that someone who loves everyone would do.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 26, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Skwirl posted:

Jesus gives exactly 2 explicit instructions for getting to heaven, the first and most important is loving God, the second is loving your neighbors, neither of those involve converting people. Good works doesn't necessarily fall under that, but providing aid to the needy is something that someone who loves everyone would do.
I really think we should head this off right now, Faith vs. Works has been debated for literal millenia and is not going to be settled by an internet comic book forum. Let us all come together in brotherhood on the common ground that Jack Chick had lovely, hateful, and self-contradictory beliefs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CapnAndy posted:

I really think we should head this off right now, Faith vs. Works has been debated for literal millenia and is not going to be settled by an internet comic book forum. Let us all come together in brotherhood on the common ground that Jack Chick had lovely, hateful, and self-contradictory beliefs.

Cool av what is it from

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Shut up, nerds

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

Cool av what is it from

You haven't seen it before? If there's an avatar I associate with chat threads, it's probably that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

You haven't seen it before? If there's an avatar I associate with chat threads, it's probably that.

I usually browse on (android) awful app i just happened to accidentally tap the av and suddenly it started moving!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Game of Thrones, BTW.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

Game of Thrones, BTW.

Ty

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

Amen.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
My avatar is special because it's way, way above the file size limit; some mod gave it to me and I don't know which one but I'm very grateful.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I was Christian until I got online and Jack Chick was essentially my first exposure to Bad Christianity. He's gonna have to confront his weird faceless god with the fact that his evangelism score is somewhere in the negatives.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

My avatar is special because it's way, way above the file size limit; some mod gave it to me and I don't know which one but I'm very grateful.

You should be careful not to piss off the gun forum then!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey, I think most of the gun forum likes me. At least right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
About a year ago we discovered somebody was sneaking Chick Tracts into the bagged and boarded comics here in the store. It sure was fun inspecting 6000+ books searching for those things!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How did they react to getting banned from the store for trying to contaminate your product with literal hate speech?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

https://mobile.twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/791356457170051073

BMB needs to be fired...Out of a cannon into the sun.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Generously, I think he was trying to be comforting, ie "the people who told you that you should kill yourself cuz you're gay aren't REAL Christians".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's transparently clear Bendis meant "It's a larger systemic sexism issue that happens to include comics within it, being that it's an industry dominated by 20-to-30-something straight white manbabies who get their every need catered to and throw gigantic loving fits when something isn't marketed solely to them, like movies or video games or TV or basically any form of media ever". Which is, you know, absolutely true. And something he has direct experience with, considering what happened when he created Miles Morales.

Or, you know, pretend that BMB is some All Lives Matter-rear end, gamergate-rear end douchebag despite that running in direct conflict with 1) virtually every single comic he's ever written 2) how he's lived his life 3) everything he's ever openly said and done about increased minority representation in comics.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 26, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's not Brian Michael Bendis.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

It's transparently clear Bendis meant "It's a larger systemic sexism issue that happens to include comics within it, being that it's an industry dominated by 20-to-30-something straight white manbabies who get their every need catered to and throw gigantic loving fits when something isn't marketed solely to them, like movies or video games or TV or basically any form of media ever". Which is, you know, absolutely true. And something he has direct experience with, considering what happened when he created Miles Morales.

drat even Bendis' tweets are decompressed.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

People are for sure misunderstanding if they're taking BMB as attacking her.
He's right to defend against the accusation that the medium is the real problem, but he should have conveyed it in more than three words. Maybe a "Sorry you're going through this. I can't imagine... but don't give up on comics. It's shitheads," and then "It's not comics"
Apparently they talked more on it, but everything's deleted.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 26, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's more like the Internet than comics. And specifically Twitter's completely toothless policies of dealing with that poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

People are for sure misunderstanding if they're taking BMB as attacking her.
He's right to defend against the accusation that the medium is the real problem, but he should have conveyed it in more than three words. Maybe a "Sorry you're going through this. I can't imagine... but don't give up on comics. It's shitheads," and then "It's not comics"
Apparently they talked more on it, but everything's deleted.

To be fair, I thinking Twitter's character limit encourages those kind of brief comments, which is why I don't like using it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

purple death ray posted:

It's more like the Internet than comics. And specifically Twitter's completely toothless policies of dealing with that poo poo.

Which is apparently why Disney decided not to buy them. So yeah, not clamping down on this poo poo is actively hurting them now. Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which is apparently why Disney decided not to buy them. So yeah, not clamping down on this poo poo is actively hurting them now. Good.

If they bought them, couldn't they force it?

• Locked thread