Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

ManlyGrunting posted:

I would recommend checking his twitter right this second, he is in full meltdown "I'm not owned!" mode and it's amazing. We should have a list of people to watch in the OP or something.

Twitter knows him well...

upload img

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

i am harry posted:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Alright, except that "heretofore" sort of implies you are no longer a citizen.

You're wrong on this buddy. If the intention was for you to renounce citizenship there wouldn't be any "implying" going on; I assure you it would be quite explicit.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Does that mean people have to listen to him, or is he merely someone who has to do the occasional talk?

I thought that NY could still produce some quite "lefty" political leaders.

That... doesn't bode well for people who may be iffy on Clinton. Not that I am saying it'll go poorly, simply that I hope the poo poo head aspect of "give more money to me and my banks" doesn't win out.

There isn't exactly much she can do about Schumer being the leader of the Democrats in the Senate, they make their own rules about how that goes since the position isn't an official one like Speaker of the House is. Honestly I don't know if he would stand in the way of passing crucial legislation like Joe Lieberman did if the president and the majority of the party was in favor of it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Josef bugman posted:

Does that mean people have to listen to him, or is he merely someone who has to do the occasional talk?

I thought that NY could still produce some quite "lefty" political leaders.

That... doesn't bode well for people who may be iffy on Clinton. Not that I am saying it'll go poorly, simply that I hope the poo poo head aspect of "give more money to me and my banks" doesn't win out.

He will basically control the senate the way Harry Reid did. So he'll have power and lord over democrats but not as much as Paul Ryan does with the house and republicans (not including tortilla coasters). Also, there are a bunch of much liberal senators than him to keep him inline like Sanders who will be either #2 or #3 with the other being another big name progressive like Brown.

And actually no, people that are iffy on Clinton (because lets face it, they're iffy on democrats at large) want her as president since she knows where the bodies are buried and will have no problems putting him in a hole in the desert if he doesn't toe the very progressive agenda she and the rest of the party has signed onto.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Nichael posted:

Scott Adams has been crazy for at least twenty years or so, but that Tweet's got to be a new level of awfulness for him.

Someone try and sell him a rock that keeps tigers away.

"I don't see any ISIS around here do you? PROOF POSITIVE."

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

lozzle posted:

You make more money than your neighbors but complain about having to pay taxes. You complain you get no tangible benefits but then immediately say you want to live in the US in the future. And finally you note that you could renounce your citizenship and not have to pay the taxes but you choose not to do so.

Is that correct?

You're insane.

I make more than my neighbors where I live and thus pay relatively higher taxes in the country that I live in, for money I make here, not in the US.

I also pay taxes in the US at a rate that usually applies to people that have much higher incomes than me. I did not "complain" about them. I said that I get no tangible benefit today, which is true, but that I choose to pay them because I foresee a future benefit.

I also said that if I did not have that future benefit as an incentive, I would give up my US citizenship, which is what people have suggested.

You seem to be real mad about an imaginary person that isn't actually me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

rscott posted:

There isn't exactly much she can do about Schumer being the leader of the Democrats in the Senate, they make their own rules about how that goes since the position isn't an official one like Speaker of the House is. Honestly I don't know if he would stand in the way of passing crucial legislation like Joe Lieberman did if the president and the majority of the party was in favor of it.

If he tries to Lieberman us, I presume Dread Abuela will bring down whatever hammer is needed to get him back in line, up to and including the most spectacular ratfucking of the millennium. She is not about to let her own side undo her at this point.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

You're insane.

I make more than my neighbors where I live and thus pay relatively higher taxes in the country that I live in, for money I make here, not in the US.

I also pay taxes in the US at a rate that usually applies to people that have much higher incomes than me. I did not "complain" about them. I said that I get no tangible benefit today, which is true, but that I choose to pay them because I foresee a future benefit.

I also said that if I did not have that future benefit as an incentive, I would give up my US citizenship, which is what people have suggested.

You're the one throwing out "insane" so I don't think I'm the one who's mad.

You've clearly done the min/maxing in your head and decided that paying the tax is worth it. If you didn't you would renounce. That's all I was saying.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Dems crushing Trump in NC. Poll of those who voted have HRC up 63 to 37

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2016/10/democrats-leading-big-in-nc-early-voting.html

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

lozzle posted:

You're wrong on this buddy. If the intention was for you to renounce citizenship there wouldn't be any "implying" going on; I assure you it would be quite explicit.

Yep. The US doesn't have the power to yank citizenship in another country away from you. If Canada/Thailand/Iran says you are still a citizen of their country, you are still a citizen there.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The realist in me says "this could be an outlier, don't pop the champagne yet".

The idealist in me says "Clinton's ground game is dunking on Trump's and she's going to outperform the poo poo out of her polls".

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

:eyepop:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

You're insane.

You aren't paying Medicare and Social Security tax so you aren't actually paying a higher rate than someone who makes that much in the US

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Would you be subject to US withholding taxes if you were employed by a local business? Seems weird that there'd be disparate treatment.

rscott posted:

You aren't paying Medicare and Social Security tax so you aren't actually paying a higher rate than someone who makes that much in the US

Yes, he is paying that. He's paying both the individual and the business side of it, that's what the self employment tax is.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Do expats qualify for Social Security if they haven't renounced citizenship? Because in that case, they definitely should be paying taxes and not complaining.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Furnaceface posted:

I think the Canadian government very quickly and eagerly recognized Ted Cruz as renounced. :v:

I REALLY want someone to leak his essay on why he didn't want to be Canadian anymore.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

A Winner is Jew posted:

He will basically control the senate the way Harry Reid did. So he'll have power and lord over democrats but not as much as Paul Ryan does with the house and republicans (not including tortilla coasters). Also, there are a bunch of much liberal senators than him to keep him inline like Sanders who will be either #2 or #3 with the other being another big name progressive like Brown.

And actually no, people that are iffy on Clinton (because lets face it, they're iffy on democrats at large) want her as president since she knows where the bodies are buried and will have no problems putting him in a hole in the desert if he doesn't toe the very progressive agenda she and the rest of the party has signed onto.

Oh I thought it might be an official position. I hope that he is subjected to that if he starts trying to prevents things from passing through that are good solely because of his campaign donators.

Just a quick query though, how bad a person was Lierberman. I see him mentioned a lot but wikipedia is absolute shite when talking about politicians. That and Lolbertarians as I am finding out by having to read up on people like Sam Harris.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

eviltastic posted:

Would you be subject to US withholding taxes if you were employed by a local business? Seems weird that there'd be disparate treatment.
No. Which is why it's very dumb and easy to work around if you have the money for a good accountant. (Where I lived the local accountants charged 2K for a US tax return.)

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Gail Wynand posted:

No. Which is why it's very dumb and easy to work around if you have the money for a good accountant. (Where I lived the local accountants charged 2K for a US tax return.)

I filed mine while I was in town. Well, the accountant filed it, but you know.

Of course, I wasn't around for a month waiting on a dying relative, so just imagine how much I could have gotten on my return if I'd stuck around.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mister Adequate posted:

If he tries to Lieberman us, I presume Dread Abuela will bring down whatever hammer is needed to get him back in line, up to and including the most spectacular ratfucking of the millennium. She is not about to let her own side undo her at this point.

Also this.

Dread Abuela hasn't really ratfucked anyone this season because she hasn't had to, but :lol: if you don't think literal decades of hatred towards the GOP isn't getting directed at Paul Ryan or anyone that stands in her way the second she is coordinated.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

rscott posted:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/self-employment-tax-social-security-and-medicare-taxes

quote:

What is Self-Employment Tax?
Self-employment tax is a tax consisting of Social Security and Medicare taxes primarily for individuals who work for themselves. It is similar to the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld from the pay of most wage earners.

It would actually be better for me to be a wage earner as I would not have to pay any taxes at all.

Like I said, I'm not complaining about having to pay taxes. I've made my choice and I'd rather pay them than lose my US citizenship but my point is that they can be a significant burden for expats.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Voter fraud!

quote:

A Wisconsin city clerk has been complaining for months that she doesn’t have the money or staff to offer early voting — but a newly released email suggests she’s trying to rig the election against the Democratic Party.

Kris Teske, the city clerk in Green Bay, argued that her office lacks the resources to set up an additional polling location near the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay — but an email released as part of an open-records request found her cooking up a convoluted legal claim to prevent students from voting, reported The Nation.

“I was reading the statutes and read: No site may be designated that affords an advantage to any political party,” Teske wrote. “UWGB is a polling location for students and residents on Election Day but I feel by asking for this to be the site for early voting is encouraging the students to vote more than benefitting the city as a whole.”

That’s when Teske thought she had found a legal loophole to stop students from casting ballots.

“I have heard it said that students lean more toward the democrats and he is a democrat,” she wrote. “I have spoken with our Chief of Staff and others at City Hall and they agree that budget wise this isn’t going to happen.”

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I don't get an "I Voted" sticker :(

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Speaking as a filthy foreigner it still seems weird that you guys need to do your own taxes. We get ours done for us by any job that isn't self-employed.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Supercar Gautier posted:

The realist in me says "this could be an outlier, don't pop the champagne yet".

The idealist in me says "Clinton's ground game is dunking on Trump's and she's going to outperform the poo poo out of her polls".

well if you wanna worry

http://www.oldnorthstatepolitics.com/2016/10/over-750k-absentee-ballots-in-north.html

quote:

While the overall totals of in-person ballots has matched 2012's numbers, there are some significant shifts by party within these numbers: registered Republicans have matched their 2012 same day cumulative totals, while registered Democrats are down 9 percent, and registered unaffiliated voters are up 32 percent from their same day cumulative totals four years ago.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Josef bugman posted:

Speaking as a filthy foreigner it still seems weird that you guys need to do your own taxes. We get ours done for us by any job that isn't self-employed.

Your job keeps track of your personal charitable contributions, etc?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

i am harry posted:

Friend, when you naturalize as a US citizen, part of the ritual is renouncing your former place of citizenship.

Other people have argued the naturalization part, but I lucked into dual citizenship by birth. I don't have to do crap.

Come to think of it, I think you're right though. You can be a dual citizen, but the U.S. government might not recognize your non U.S. citizenship unless they choose to for some reason.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

There are very big tax preparation companies that lobby hard to make sure such a scenario is not possible here.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Scott Adams is basically every retired engineer I know. At some point they just WHOOOOSH right into conspiracy libertarian land. My wife's uncle is a retired EE, a ham radio operator, and believes aliens are actively here and watching us. He's also voting trump. He grounded his entire house because he thinks iran will EMP us, and we talked solar physics once and coronal mass ejections and his opinion was that aliens would prevent one from wrecking us. He has exactly the level of engineer foresight you'd expect, e.g. none whatsoever.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

didn't scott adams have some kind of catastrophic brain injury that caused him to lose his ability to speak for some time.

Yeah. It's called "being a republican"

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm in a situation where the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion does apply to me, so I don't owe any US taxes, but I still need to file a giant stack of tax and treasury forms every year. It's a gigantic pain in the rear end and the only reason I haven't renounced my citizenship already is that I travel to the US a few times a year for conferences, and I really don't feel like getting harassed by border security any more than I already do; I can't imagine that showing up as a "former US citizen" or whatever when they look me up would go over well with those power-tripping assholes.

My parents thought it would be useful for my sister and I to inherit their citizenship back in the 80s. Now they're really apologetic about it. :(

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/self-employment-tax-social-security-and-medicare-taxes

It would actually be better for me to be a wage earner as I would not have to pay any taxes at all.

Like I said, I'm not complaining about having to pay taxes. I've made my choice and I'd rather pay them than lose my US citizenship but my point is that they can be a significant burden for expats.
I am not an accountant, please consult a tax professional.

But you could probably just start a Delaware LLC and have the clients pay the LLC. Then you're no longer self employed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just saw a Hillary ad narrated by Morgan Freeman. That's cool.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Josef bugman posted:

Oh I thought it might be an official position. I hope that he is subjected to that if he starts trying to prevents things from passing through that are good solely because of his campaign donators.

Just a quick query though, how bad a person was Lierberman. I see him mentioned a lot but wikipedia is absolute shite when talking about politicians. That and Lolbertarians as I am finding out by having to read up on people like Sam Harris.

Lierberman is literally the reason why we don't have a public option for Obama care since he was basically bought by the insurance industry that runs Connecticut.

Liberman, Schumer, and Feinstein were basically the three worst Senators back then.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Your job keeps track of your personal charitable contributions, etc?

Nope. But it keeps a track of the taxes we have to pay, just not any we'd get back. Plus I am not sure that charities are tax deductible under a certain amount.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

God confirmed in the tank for Hillary.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Wisconsin County Clerks in R districts are some of the worst people in the world.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Groovelord Neato posted:

didn't scott adams have some kind of catastrophic brain injury that caused him to lose his ability to speak for some time.

Nah, it was just a psychosomatic sort of thing. He basically freaked himself out into being mute, although a proper doctor wouldn't phrase it that way. Usually that thing only happens to people who've been in situations of extreme stress, but that dude was living a pampered life when it happened.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sounds like it was probably cut straight out of her DNC biography video lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

Lierberman is literally the reason why we don't have a public option for Obama care since he was basically bought by the insurance industry that runs Connecticut.

Liberman, Schumer, and Feinstein were basically the three worst Senators back then.

What happened to the three amigos? I know about Schumer a bit now, but they sound like the most (as it were) loving 90's era democrats you could imagine. Very much still in Reagan's shadow.

• Locked thread