Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

in one final hilarious "gently caress you" to consumers, Turtle Rock dropped support of Evolve in the midst of doing the Phase 2 and also cancelled the Phase 2 poo poo for consoles after a sale for it happened weeks ago. jesus christ

https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/our-final-message-to-our-evolve-community/106117

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
2K ended their contract with Turtle Rock so I guess that means the future of Evolve is dead dead now, instead of merely dead.

That's not to say 2K won't ever try to make an Evolve 2 themselves but...that seems a ways off right.

Fake Edit: Ah poo poo beaten.

I'll add that Turtle Rock seem to be placing the blame on 2K here in the comments for being the ones to end the contract and it's not the devs themselves dropping the game like a hot potato. They don't specifically say if the contract was up for renewal and a better outcome would have led to them staying on or something.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 26, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MinibarMatchman posted:

in one final hilarious "gently caress you" to consumers, Turtle Rock dropped support of Evolve in the midst of doing the Phase 2 and also cancelled the Phase 2 poo poo for consoles after a sale for it happened weeks ago. jesus christ

https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/our-final-message-to-our-evolve-community/106117

turns out in a world with multiple free clones of OW there's no reason to play a free version of a game nobody liked.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Real hurthling! posted:

turns out in a world with multiple free clones of OW there's no reason to play a free version of a game nobody liked.

:sad:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like most of the "good" stories in games I've experienced have been of the Earnest B-Movie variety where I enjoy the honest effort put into something that is bad. Y'know, no tongue-in-cheek "oh wow this is bad and we know it ha ha isn't it funny that this is bad *wink wink winkity-winkin' wink*" stuff

Turns out it's hard to effectively weave a story into your gameplay and make everything feel natural.

The best "story" I guess you usually get out of a game is when a certain atmosphere or feeling is created by you actually playing the game.

Like I dunno what precisely the feeling is that I get playing Metroid Prime or Dark Souls but just being really immersed in a game world is a type of storytelling all its own. Kind of the ultimate "show, don't tell". I feel like this is where the true potential for games lies as an interactive medium trying to convey a story or set of ideas to someone

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

Game developers are the best at passive-aggressive pouty goodbye letters. It's always some variation on "Well I guess nobody appreciated our amazing innovative game :mad: "

edit: ahaha the comments

"I feel the same way I felt when my first girlfriend broke up with me, no joke."

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I mean, for me that's true, and that reaction is: "Welp, that was inevitable."

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

precision posted:

Game developers are the best at passive-aggressive pouty goodbye letters. It's always some variation on "Well I guess nobody appreciated our amazing innovative game :mad: "

edit: ahaha the comments

"I feel the same way I felt when my first girlfriend broke up with me, no joke."

I saw that too and thought "what the gently caress"

I mean, it sucks that 2K is pulling the plug, and probably were behind a lot of DLC poo poo, but Turtle Rock still kind of failed to bring the ideas on paper to a satisfying end.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

wow I genuinely thought going F2P would grant it a decent lifespan

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Stanley Parable's humour is mostly from that.

Hell, The Stanley Parable Demonstration has a lot of demo-specific humour (as well as the best button ever).

I really want to play that one of these days, but I keep thinking I'm going to do one of those gaming charity drive things for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and do my first blind playthrough of it then.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

One of game series most guilty of this (Metal Gear Solid) is also one of the most universally beloved franchises in gaming so I'm not sure it's actually a major problem.

Hell, same for Final Fantasy.

Kojima is a huge film buff who knows his way around a (virtual) camera tho. Contrast FFX where nobody on board even knew what cinematography meant.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Metal Gear Solid 1 largely responsible for the popularization of the cutscene?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Looper posted:

Kojima is a huge film buff who knows his way around a (virtual) camera tho. Contrast FFX where nobody on board even knew what cinematography meant.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Metal Gear Solid 1 largely responsible for the popularization of the cutscene?

didn't Ninja Gaiden do it first, though? The NES Ninja Gaiden.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

precision posted:

Was the tutorial in that super long? I remember it being pretty short, like "oh haha it's a tutorial, oh ok it's over now"

It's standard enough length, goes into the same needless detail about how to move and jump and poo poo, but it does it while making jokes about the fact that it's doing that, how refreshing and clever! Then at one point it shoves about 10 messages in your face, constantly making bad jokes about how terrible it is when other games do it. Then it gives you this and i turned off the game because it was so obnoxious:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like I dunno what precisely the feeling is that I get playing Metroid Prime or Dark Souls but just being really immersed in a game world is a type of storytelling all its own. Kind of the ultimate "show, don't tell". I feel like this is where the true potential for games lies as an interactive medium trying to convey a story or set of ideas to someone

I agree with this

Alternatively just have your characters talk over gameplay if you want something more conversational. Kid Icarus Uprising manages to throw a whole lot of words at you without taking away control very often

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It must be kind of cool to be a kid growing up playing video games in 2016 when you have a bunch of actually pretty ok free to play stuff like hearthstone/mobas/evolve/overwatch clones instead of playing the same ps1 demo discs over and over (though I guess in my teens I played a lot of terrible f2p mmos like runescape/maple story)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Buca di Bepis posted:

wow I genuinely thought going F2P would grant it a decent lifespan

Sometimes a bad dead game is just dead.

Even loving Wildstar is still on life support from f2p.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bicyclops posted:

I really want to play that one of these days, but I keep thinking I'm going to do one of those gaming charity drive things for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and do my first blind playthrough of it then.
It's worth noting that if you buy the game it can be hard to play the Stanley Parable Demonstration because of the way Steam works, which is unfortunate.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

It must be kind of cool to be a kid growing up playing video games in 2016 when you have a bunch of actually pretty ok free to play stuff like hearthstone/mobas/evolve/overwatch clones instead of playing the same ps1 demo discs over and over (though I guess in my teens I played a lot of terrible f2p mmos like runescape/maple story)

I remember spending a lot of time signing up for game betas lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like most of the "good" stories in games I've experienced have been of the Earnest B-Movie variety where I enjoy the honest effort put into something that is bad. Y'know, no tongue-in-cheek "oh wow this is bad and we know it ha ha isn't it funny that this is bad *wink wink winkity-winkin' wink*" stuff

Turns out it's hard to effectively weave a story into your gameplay and make everything feel natural.

The best "story" I guess you usually get out of a game is when a certain atmosphere or feeling is created by you actually playing the game.

I really love silent hill for this too because the narrative is extremely bare bones (I'm looking for someone in this town) and then it's just pure mood for the rest of the game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm bored of burgundy after making japan a protectorate and establishing colonial Amelie in beautiful new england. now, i think i will be scotland

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

spudsbuckley posted:

I played about 4 hours of Witcher 3 about 6 months ago and just went away from it to more interesting games.

From a game-play point of view it is utterly mediocre, no better than Ubisofts latest open-world collectaton and i don't really give a poo poo about the story.

The praise it gets is bewildering to me. I presume the people who love it play maybe 2 games every year.

You probably didn't even get to where the story starts to get really good. The Witcher is a franchise that is based on novels. It is story-driven to the core. If you aren't interested in the immersing yourself in the story and role-playing as Geralt of Rivia, then the game is not for you.

That's fine.

But I've never played an RPG, or any game, with as good of a story, or stories. Nothing even comes close.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Buca di Bepis posted:

I remember spending a lot of time signing up for game betas lol

I remember when I ran out of atari or nes games I had to resort to riding my bike and exploring nature lol

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

they should make a game about yen or ciri. can i get a gamer solemn nod

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yen, no. Ciri, yes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
there are games with really good writing that is an appeal i.e. cosmology of kyoto but ive never played a game that gets AWARDS FOR GREAT GAME WRITING that was worth a drat at all. loving bioshock lmao

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
That really isn't just a games thing, i mean walking dead and chew win comics writing awards.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I never understood the outrage people have about awards not 100% lining up with their own personal opinions and considering that some kind of :stoke: about how criticism as a whole is worthless, but then again I was lucky enough to have Crash win Best Picture in my formative years and give me the gift of perspective so I never took them too seriously to begin with.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

I never understood the outrage people have about awards not 100% lining up with their own personal opinions and considering that some kind of :stoke: about how criticism as a whole is worthless, but then again I was lucky enough to have Crash win Best Picture in my formative years and give me the gift of perspective so I never took them too seriously to begin with.

you dont really understand what im talking about, i just mean that its ok for games to have silly fun stories instead of being serious

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

oddium posted:

i'm bored of burgundy after making japan a protectorate and establishing colonial Amelie in beautiful new england. now, i think i will be scotland

jan mayen

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Awards are the most important things in life, as gamers you would think we would had learn this from achievements

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I don't play any games with any less than 2 game of the year noms and 3 comparisons to Citizen Kane

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
GOTY noms? Are there any games that haven't won GOTY?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If a game doesn't win Most Anticipated Game of the Next Year I'm not interested, thanks

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I only play games with the highest number of E3 awards, like Simcity and No Mans Sky

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It turns out Bad Day L.A. has not GOTY edition. I'm honestly surprised.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Snak posted:

lego island probably. i dunno

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Snak posted:

never forget the two worlds goty

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Looper posted:

I agree with this

Alternatively just have your characters talk over gameplay if you want something more conversational. Kid Icarus Uprising manages to throw a whole lot of words at you without taking away control very often

I honestly don't know why more action games don't do this. You can have tons of text about lore and plot development without having to constantly break up the action

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like answering yes or no questions with the dpad in intense action moments in ace combat.

It kinda helps gives a thing a franticness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the 3ds is like find a round thing and i tried many actual round things, including a cannonball, but all that worked was my car keys

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 26, 2016

• Locked thread