Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nessus posted:

Right, I just mean like, it is hard for me to concieve that the Republicans somehow decide to work with Democrats at this point. They would all be in greater fear of being primaried out of their seats than a Russian invasion or whatever. Do they still follow the rule named after the child molester?

The Hastert Rule will be non-negotiable sacrifice #1 which the democrats will demand in exchange for their support of any speaker candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Plenty of people still have a hateboner for both candidates huh

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/25/american-political-parties-democrats-republicans-representation-survey

Well it's true that a lot of Americans don't feel represented by either party I guess.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

USPOL: FASCINATED BY SEX

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Shifty Pony posted:

The Hastert Rule will be non-negotiable sacrifice #1 which the democrats will demand in exchange for their support of any speaker candidate.

yeah, if they wont give up the Hastert rule, then there's no point. gently caress them, keep the house shut down forever until they give it up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

bewilderment posted:

I don't know if it's come up in this thread yet but here's Deep Drumpf, a twitterbot that tries to autogenerate Trump's tweets.
https://twitter.com/DeepDrumpf/status/788932825751887873

Beautiful.

Oh, so now they are concealing the nightmare dog faces embedded in every image?!

Google is in the tank for someone or other!

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

bewilderment posted:

I don't know if it's come up in this thread yet but here's Deep Drumpf, a twitterbot that tries to autogenerate Trump's tweets.
https://twitter.com/DeepDrumpf/status/788932825751887873

Beautiful.

:staredog:

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

I hate liking Megyn Kelly.

Stop saying sensible things and go back to being your usual horrible self Megyn Kelly.

Same goes for Ana Navarro.

2016 is a terrible year. The worst.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Not sure if

but it's pretty amazing. Posted by a self-proclaimed GOP hitman for Make America Great Again, it's been shared 17,000 times.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

http://bendixenandamandi.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Local-Issues-Poll-Oct-2016-WAVE-12.pdf

murphy is running way behind hillary in miami, rubio's probably gonna win

Miami is Rubio's home turf. Things don't look good for Murphy, but given Hillary's average margin that's a lot of vote splitting for Rubio if it bears out.

Rubio's continued support of Trump is also not doing him any favors with the non-Cuban Latinos in the state.

lozzle posted:

I mean there's no constitutional reason it couldn't work like that, as far as I am aware. :v:

e: assuming they voted him Speaker, not just if no Speaker was chosen

You can't be a member of both the Legislative and Executive Branches. The VP has a special exemption specifically spelled out in the Constitution to break ties in the Senate, but he can't be a Senator/Representative/The Speaker. Cheney famously tried to use the special carve out to justify some evil bullshit, but nobody bought it.

Also, do you not remember when President Walken had to resign as Speaker and a Representative to temporarily take over while President Bartlet invoked the 25th following the kidnapping of his daughter?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

"Fox News... non-partisan?? I don't think so."

Wow thanks Megyn

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/791093843840081920

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

iospace posted:

WE HAVE AN EYEWITNESS OF TRUMP DROPPING THE N-BOMB
Was gonna ask what's happened in the past 23 pages, but uh, is that verifiable?

(Also did I miss anything?)
Huh. Respect for Kelly climbing.

Still covered in leaves and mud in the gutter, but hey, progress is progress.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Nessus posted:

Right, I just mean like, it is hard for me to concieve that the Republicans somehow decide to work with Democrats at this point. They would all be in greater fear of being primaried out of their seats than a Russian invasion or whatever. Do they still follow the rule named after the child molester?

I know it is hard to imagine at this point, but most Republicans in Congress are unremarkable white guys who will go along with most everything their leadership tells them. If word comes down from Ryan to support a moderate D for the speakership, most will go for it.

Some will be afraid of primary challengers and refuse but most members of Congress do, on some level, want to do the right thing for their district and their party. Most have interests beyond re-election.

There's, like, a handful of congressmen who will do anything to get in front of a camera and make a ton of noise but most are virtually anonymous.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

lozzle posted:

Stop saying sensible things and go back to being your usual horrible self Megyn Kelly.

Just remember that she said "Santa is white".

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

You can't be a member of both the Legislative and Executive Branches. The VP has a special exemption specifically spelled out in the Constitution to break ties in the Senate, but he can't be a Senator/Representative/The Speaker. Cheney famously tried to use the special carve out to justify some evil bullshit, but nobody bought it.

Also, do you not remember when President Walken had to resign as Speaker and a Representative to temporarily take over while President Bartlet invoked the 25th following the kidnapping of his daughter?

Great, now I have to break out my special Khizr Khan-approved, ACLU-provided pocket constitution to research this. Thanks a lot. :v:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

awesmoe posted:

wow, this will be huge for trumps african american
e: do you really think anyone voting for him, at this point, will care? maybe he'd lose like 2% if he said it live at a rally on camera but I wouldn't bet on it.

True. At this point, it'd play great with anyone still onboard since he's mad no secret that racism is the core of his campaign.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/791095041838186496

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Was gonna ask what's happened in the past 23 pages, but uh, is that verifiable?

(Also did I miss anything?)

It was his dad and it was an eyewitness report. But donald agreed with "we don't rent to n*****s" according to the eyewitness.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

lozzle posted:

You don't have to like either of them. I'm more weirded out that Newt Gingrich is complaining about a private citizen giving paid speeches to wealthy people in a capitalist nation. Wouldn't that disqualify every single politician, but most especially every Republican politician? Just 4 years ago they touted businessman Mittens. In the past month they've even stopped praising Trump's business skills. This am bizarro.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I would have loved it if she would have come out and said "Did you lose your job because you claimed Bill Clinton was a sexual predator?"

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Gyges posted:

As an aside, my favourite constitutional crisis scenario is: What if the Vice-President, in his capacity as President of the Senate, tries to preside over his own impeachment trial?

Yikes.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Newt Gingrich accusing someone else of being fascinated by sex is like Donald Trump accusing someone else of being fascinated by Donald Trump and violent illegal immigrants.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

lozzle posted:

What we're currently witnessing and will continue to witness is the split of the GOP into the 'horrible monster but at least still tethered to reality' camp and the 'oh my god you're a loving moonbat' camp.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Dear lord that entire video was hosed up... I never thought I'd feel for the position Megyn was in and :newt: lives up to his slimey name

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

This has the "You can take your anger issues & spend some time working on them, Mr. Speaker" parting shot. :allears:

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Gyges posted:

Miami is Rubio's home turf. Things don't look good for Murphy, but given Hillary's average margin that's a lot of vote splitting for Rubio if it bears out.

Rubio's continued support of Trump is also not doing him any favors with the non-Cuban Latinos in the state.

On the East side of the state I think Rubio will depend on how disgusted the newer *big* South Florida counties are with him. Palm Beach, St. Lucie, the West, etc. I hope they don't like him at all. I bet Jacksonville will sure as poo poo vote for his dumbass though.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

Okay you're gonna have to point out to me where in the Constitution it says this, because the best I can come up with is Article 1, Section 6, Clause 2 which prohibits officers of the executive branch from being a member of the House, which the Speaker technically is not.

lozzle fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 26, 2016

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Holy gently caress! Wait until she signs off, it's worth it.

https://twitter.com/CurtisHouck/status/791090355248762880

edit: Dammit, I checked and no one had posted it...but they posted a tweet with a link. poo poo, still great.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh gently caress off Twitter.

It is Washington National Airport. Don't include that jackass's name in there.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Jesus, that childish head movement vs Kelly's calm "excuse me"s. And that's just the composure.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh gently caress off Twitter.

It is Washington National Airport. Don't include that jackass's name in there.

Arguably Dulles is the more offensive name for the DC area airports. And people who live there call them Reagan and Dulles.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/hannity-obama-kenya-birthers-230317

here is another thing that happened in our 14 days of meltdowns.

edit:
https://twitter.com/DanScavino/status/791095922709200897

yes threaten megyn kelly. that will work well.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

lozzle posted:

Okay you're gonna have to point out to me where in the Constitution it says this, because the best I can come up with is Article 1, Section 6, Clause 2 which prohibits members of the executive branch from being a member of the House, which the Speaker technically is not.

Not true. The speaker doesn't HAVE to be a member of the house, but he usually is. And has been for all of modern political history.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Add this to the corncob collection, Ballz.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

torgeaux posted:

Not true. The speaker doesn't HAVE to be a member of the house, but he usually is. And has been for all of modern political history.

That...doesn't contradict what I said at all? :confused:

Unless you were agreeing with me.

Sensible Thursday
Jul 28, 2007
Did Newt learn nothing from the 90s? Is he just nostalgic? Why does the want to die on this hill twice

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Themagicalgoat posted:

Arguably Dulles is the more offensive name for the DC area airports. And people who live there call them Reagan and Dulles.

Nah, I always called it National. If you lived there before the change, you call it national, otherwise, you call it Reagan.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Holy poo poo the comments on that youtube video

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

torgeaux posted:

Nah, I always called it National. If you lived there before the change, you call it national, otherwise, you call it Reagan.

I call it DCA. But our mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm about 30 pages late but I have family in Cincinnati and Columbus and I have always referred to it as the Nothing State. They have nothing going for them since American manufacturing ditched them, and it's basically Florida with fewer minorities. Definitely would not surprise me if they went for Trump.

e: Nevermind someone already said it better

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 26, 2016

• Locked thread