Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

BigRed0427 posted:

At the risk of someone clubbing me with a crowbar. The 2020 election. Who the gently caress do the GOP run for that? How do you go backwards from someone like Trump?

Trump again. Four years older, and even more unhinged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

lozzle posted:

Ted Nugent

edit in case you've never been fully exposed to Ted Nugent's horrible political opinions:

Wow, so he's always been a rear end in a top hat. Good to know.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Squeegy posted:

I'm about 30 pages late but I have family in Cincinnati and Columbus and I have always referred to it as the Nothing State. They have nothing going for them since American manufacturing ditched them, and it's basically Florida with fewer minorities. Definitely would not surprise me if they went for Trump.

e: Nevermind someone already said it better

Anecdotal: I live in Ohio, and rural Ohio - based on my sales trips for my new job - seems to have a fair number of Trump supporters still active in the area.

While the raw number of houses with GOP yard signs/election decorations seems lower than usual anywhere in Ohio for an election year this time around, the houses that still publicly endorse Trump are loving LOADED down with Trump paraphernalia.

One house I drove past today was literally top-to-bottom covered in Trump signs and American flags, from the front lawn to the top of the roof. This is in the strip mall-laden wasteland that is Union, OH.

I wish I would have thought to take a picture to show you guys after I passed through. :sigh:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm hoping they employ a Super delegate analog that screws the deplorable choice blatantly, for the sake of maximum gently caress you, thus resulting in a strong deplorable 3rd party eating the Republicans lunch and allowing Democrats to take sizable wins in otherwise hard to win areas..

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

In other words: forwards, always. Never backwards.

Upwards, not forwards!

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Anecdotal: I live in Ohio, and rural Ohio - based on my sales trips for my new job - seems to have a fair number of Trump supporters still active in the area.

While the raw number of houses with GOP yard signs/election decorations seems lower than usual anywhere in Ohio for an election year this time around, the houses that still publicly endorse Trump are loving LOADED down with Trump paraphernalia.

One house I drove past today was literally top-to-bottom covered in Trump signs and American flags, from the front lawn to the top of the roof. This is in the strip mall-laden wasteland that is Union, OH.

I wish I would have thought to take a picture to show you guys after I passed through. :sigh:

Was it this house?

Muggsy
Mar 30, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I see they're really putting effort into their Halloween decorations this year.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
That house is remarkable in it's lack of rusted vehicles.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Trumps words of condolences to a greiving family. :staredog:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/trump-files-kelly-preston
https://web.archive.org/web/20100217210521/http:/www.trumpuniversity.com/blog/post/2009/01/loyalty-and-kelly-preston.cfm

quote:

I have always respected people who were loyal and faithful--which brings to mind Kelly Preston. A long time ago, before I was married, I met Kelly Preston at a club and worked like hell to try and pick her up. She was beautiful, personable, and definitely had allure. At the time I had no idea she was married to John Travolta.

In any event, my track record on this subject has always been outstanding, but Kelly wouldn’t give me the time of day. She was very nice, very elegant, but I didn’t have a chance with her, and that was that.

When I later found out she was married to John, I liked and respected her even more. Some people have values that matter to them, and she is one of them. Her loyalty was unwavering and I have always remembered that about her.

Being true to someone is very close to being true to yourself. That’s a valuable attribute in today’s world. I’m sure she was a wonderful mother to Jett and my thoughts are with her and her family after their terrible loss.

Donald J. Trump is Chairman of Trump University.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Athens reporting in:

If I ever drive anywhere outside of Athens, it's Trump-topia. It's literally everywhere. In town is mostly Clinton signs/no signs, but there's a few lawns/cars with trump paraphernalia. (Wow is that how you spell that?)

Edit: athens, that southeastern blue spot ohio might wanna get checked out.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 26, 2016

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

At the risk of someone clubbing me with a crowbar. The 2020 election. Who the gently caress do the GOP run for that? How do you go backwards from someone like Trump?
Nikki Haley? Assuming she survived the primary thunderdome. Cruz and Rubio are done, too much loser-stank on them now.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Holy poo poo did trump just say "she wouldn't gently caress me, and that's an admirable quality"?

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Tricky D posted:

That house is remarkable in it's lack of rusted vehicles.

I know it seems I'm trafficking in stereotypes with you, and that's because I am.

I'm surprised there's not a school-bus in the yard. I'm surprised the person taking the picture wasn't shot. I'm surprised the car from the X-files episode "Home" isn't parked on the lawn.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, isn't 2020 yet another crucial and dire election that has to be won decisively by the Dems to take control of gerrymandering due to the census redrawing?

It kind of sucks that every four years feels like a perpetually ever-escalating apocalyptic crisis where we put the gun to our heads for a brief moment then set it back down only to pick it up again later. :(

e: Can confirm that Hillary PACs are carpet-bombing Spotify ads.

I ain't even mad, though; just proud of the Nasty Woman who's going to crush the gently caress out of Orange Mussolini and the GOP soon and show them how nasty she really is. :unsmith::hf::abuela:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 26, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rangpur posted:

Nikki Haley? Assuming she survived the primary thunderdome. Cruz and Rubio are done, too much loser-stank on them now.

I severely doubt we're going to see a woman on the top of the ticket in the near future.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PT6A posted:

Also, Malik Obama's tweet has some really unhinged people replying to it. Seriously, did half the people in the US decide to just drop acid one morning and never stop? For example: how did Obama set back race relations that makes no loving sense how do people come to this conclusion I think I'm having a stroke trying to figure it out...

Like, I get that racists are gonna be racists, but then you should just come out and say, "I don't like being led by a black guy because I think they're inherently inferior" instead of making up some nonsense about how his election has damaged race relations.

Look, everything was fine with race relations until that damned Obama went and got all uppity on the TV and made me so mad I just started yelling racial epitaphs at my TV so loud the cops came and then the black cop thought he was better than me too so I ended up in jail. And it's all because that black Kenyan usurper made me get mad. Wasn't no problems before I was reminded what an inadequate dumbfuck I was. Just like how my bitch ex-wife tried to make it look like it wasn't her fault the cops kept getting called to the house and arresting me.

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh, the Republicans are going to run a whole bunch of interesting people next time. Only 1 or 2 "establishment" guys though.

Crow Jane posted:

I mean, that's true for everyone. If you don't have that sibling, it probably just means that you are that sibling

One of my brothers is cool, but I can only imagine what the other one would do if either of us became famous for some reason.

Look, some of us were raised right with just a single sibling and neither one of us are the gently caress up.

We leave that to my Mom's side of the family, Thank You.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Athens reporting in:

If I ever drive anywhere outside of Athens, it's Trump-topia. It's literally everywhere. In town is mostly Clinton signs/no signs, but there's a few lawns/cars with trump paraphernalia. (Wow is that how you spell that?)

Dayton here.

Yeah. There is weird quantities of Trump here, in one of the four or five solidly blue areas of the state.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Houston:
https://twitter.com/DylanBaddour/status/791106847503548416
:getin:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Did anyone watch the Tallahassee trump stumping today?

Any crazy anecdotes?

I am working on a science project and can't find tape.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Athens reporting in:

Why would you ever leave beautiful Athens, though? I had an ex once who attended OU, and the "locavore" organic food culture and objectively leftist worker co-op company culture there are both loving fantastic. They also have the best hot dog shop in all of Ohio, bar none.

What I'm trying to say is that Athens/OU is a really fun and great little college town and I probably would have been a lot happier going there compared to my preppy/right-leaning alma mater. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 26, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

emdash posted:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/undercover-border-militia-immigration-bauer

Probably already posted but clearly worth a repost since the last several pages have been real bad. Mother Jones' new longform piece by a reporter who joined a border militia undercover.
From many pages back, but I just had time to read it.

And they're basically racist, paramilitary LARPers.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

dwarf74 posted:

From many pages back, but I just had time to read it.

And they're basically racist, paramilitary LARPers.

The bit where one of the members threatens to rape the journalist while laughing about it was reaaaaalllyyy something else.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Harris County had 1,185,478 votes in 2012. 49.4% for Obama and 49.3% for Romney

So, 140,000 votes in just two days of early voting does seem to herald much higher turnout, presumably due to Hispanic participation.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Why would you ever leave beautiful Athens, though? I had an ex once who attended OU, and the "locavore" organic food culture is loving fantastic. They also have the best hot dog shop in all of Ohio, bar none.

What I'm trying to say is that Athens/OU is a really fun and great little college town and I probably would have been a lot happier going there compared to my preppy/right-leaning alma mater. :v:

OU derail before bed: it's a great place for grad school, but is a total party school for undergrad. I like seeing places, going stargazing, hiking, finding pumpkin patches, etc. Saw an absolutely beautiful log-style (can never tell if fascia or not) house with a giant trump banner obscuring 1/3 of the front of it this past weekend. (Which is funny because you could barely see it from the road)

And yes, O'betty's is amazing.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
FYI never travel to SE Ohio (except for Athens! :respek:) if you can help it. It's got some of the most gutted and economically-ravaged Rust Belt territory outside of, like, Detroit, and it's super loving depressing to witness in person.

The Front Wheel Drive street name and five different Portsmouths that look like living time capsules from the 1950s were kind of amusing, though.

e: More Ohio quick tips while I'm on this derail:

*Cincinnati is what I'd consider "Just OK" for an American city. Nothing really spectacular like you'd find in a more cosmopolitan city like Seattle or San Francisco or Boston but not that bad either. Non-natives are confused and horrified by the Cincinnati take on chili. I'm biased though since I'm originally from Cincy. :v:

*Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH, is in the very northernest-rear end end of Ohio, literally jutting into Lake Erie, but it's an awesome, magical place if you're a theme park (and ESPECIALLY roller coaster) enthusiast. Literally an All-Star ensemble of some of the best roller coasters in the world.

*Columbus is a little more liberal than Cincinnati, but really loving spread-out like Chicago is and is still pretty much "just average" for an American city. I've lobbied the State capitol building though, which is pretty modest if you're used to being in DC with their Capitol building

*Cleveland is the most liberal major city in Ohio (the conservative/liberal line tends to progress from Cincinnati diagonally through Columbus ending in Cleveland, Columbus being the main divider between Ohio conservatives and liberals), but it's cold whenever I've been there and always seemed really depressing to go visit.

*Every time I see a non-native spell Cincinnati as "Cincinatti," my blood pressure goes up just a tiny bit. Just a little pet peeve of mine. :v:

Uh, nothing really to add, I guess? I'm just from Ohio and I feel the urge to defend it whenever someone else not from here shits on it and dismisses literally the entire state as flyover country, even though I like to poo poo on Ohio a lot too and think most of the state is a wasteland myself. :shobon:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 26, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:derp: PEC IS DOWN TO 98% :derp:

But the senate is up to 84% :getin: (and 51/49 to boot!)

House is likely to remain GOP :smith:

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

FYI never travel to Ohio if you can help it. It's got some of the most gutted and economically-ravaged Rust Belt territory outside of, like, Detroit, and it's super loving depressing to witness in person.

Fixed that for 'ya.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brian Williams asked Mike Pence about the results, and he said he had a "fire wall of the american people" :ughh:

Also:
https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/791115019182309376

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

i've been working on a similar list although it also includes the bitter and exasperated #nevertrump faction

as for the actual trumpcobs you might want to also consider:
laura ingraham
mike huckabee
todd starnes
john nolte (CNN Is Hitler)
steven crowder
sean spicer
roger stone
joe walsh
and of course anyone else who routinely appears on tv shilling for trump (corey, kellyanne, jeff lord, kayleigh mcenany, katrina pierson, etc.)

Thanks, these are all great. I added everyone but Todd Starnes because he's got his tweets protected.

What's the bot account that only RTs Tweets made from Donald's "real" phone? I'm still debating on adding the ultimate corncob for fear he'd dominate the feed, so maybe just the filtered tweets would suffice.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

iospace posted:

:derp: PEC IS DOWN TO 98% :derp:

Any particular reason why?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Meta-Margin dropped due to all the Rasmussens and LA Times and stuff that came out. It's nothing to worry about.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

no drat clue, probably some weak polls for Clinton that may have dropped her average ever so slightly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He even has an article about how the senate is moving a bit more dem but the presidential is probably just gonna hover around metamargin 4 and that it doesn't mean Trump has any chance.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

PT6A posted:

Why does Obama's half brother think the President owes "the Kenyan side of his family" jack poo poo? It'd be one thing if they were actually a significant part of his life at any time (he still wouldn't owe them anything, mind you, nor should he treat them specially as a result) but they evidently were not.

gently caress him, I guess we know who got all the brains in that family.

It's a cultural thing, extended family loyalty is much, much, much more important than it is in anglo culture. Loyalty to self/immediate family is seen as extremely narcissistic. Similarly, success is meant to be shared with the entire extended family (and even larger social groupings, as well).

Calling the expectation of loyalty to extended family idiotic is some profoundly culturally relativistic ignorance. All the Africans from that region I've met would get insane amounts of poo poo if they were that succesful yet largely didn't concern themselves with the greater extended family, tribe, and village. Of course, he'd also be getting a ton of poo poo for only having two kids and depending on the background of his family, for only having a single wife.

tabris posted:

"Taken care of me? You're my kid brother and you take care of me? Did you ever think about that? Hah? Did you ever once that about that?"

See above, obligation for care is with the most succesful, not the eldest.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 26, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Armani posted:

The bit where one of the members threatens to rape the journalist while laughing about it was reaaaaalllyyy something else.
I was more shocked at how the border patrol was like, "hey we love you guys!"

But I stand by it - most of it really felt like they were a bunch of awful LARPers. Sure, with a lot more racism, Infowars, and real weapons, but those "operations"? Pure LARP. Adults pretending to be at war.

SOURCE: I used to do a medieval LARP and some of the people were ex-military crazy people, some people were crazy right-wingers, and a lot of that overlapped.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 26, 2016

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

To understand Malik Obama, please read this thread. It's very good.

https://twitter.com/christiana1987/status/788810676512882688

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's a cultural thing, extended family loyalty is much, much, much more important than it is in anglo culture. Loyalty to self/immediate family is seen as extremely narcissistic. Similarly, success is meant to be shared with the entire extended family (and even larger social groupings, as well).

Calling the expectation of loyalty to extended family idiotic is some profoundly culturally relativistic ignorance. All the Africans from that region I've met would get insane amounts of poo poo if they were that succesful yet largely didn't concern themselves with the greater extended family, tribe, and village. Of course, he'd also be getting a ton of poo poo for only having two kids.

Is it really fair for Malik to have that expectation of him when Barack was raised in the West with a totally different set of cultural values?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Calling the expectation of loyalty to extended family idiotic is some profoundly culturally relativistic ignorance. All the Africans from that region I've met would get insane amounts of poo poo if they were that succesful yet largely didn't concern themselves with the greater extended family, tribe, and village. Of course, he'd also be getting a ton of poo poo for only having two kids and depending on the background of his family, for only having a single wife.

See above, obligation for care is with the most succesful, not the eldest.

You are right. He has an understandable reason for possessing those values. He is, however, still foolish for projecting to those values on someone with essentially none of the same cultural background.

Cultural relativism is about understanding why, not never making value judgements.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pakled posted:

Is it really fair for Malik to have that expectation of him when Barack was raised in the West with a totally different set of cultural values?

No but on the other hand what even is culturally 'fair'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Why would you ever leave beautiful Athens, though? I had an ex once who attended OU, and the "locavore" organic food culture and objectively leftist worker co-op company culture there are both loving fantastic. They also have the best hot dog shop in all of Ohio, bar none.

Athens! I lived there for too long after college because it was hard to leave. It definitely skewed my perspective on how Ohio is.

I worked at O'betty's for a bit. Great food but the bar rush was pretty terrible. Way worse than the buggy.

• Locked thread