Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't have quite the visceral hatred of the NX-refit concept, but some of the story concepts I remember hearing about for the fifth season were really groan-worthy.

Yeah, a lot of the pitches were so incredibly fan-wanky. I remember the Reeves-Stevenses were working on a story about the origin of the Borg Queen, who would have been a medical technician on Enterprise who got assimilated. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I like the NX refit because it takes care of some superfluous details I felt were misplaced on the original ship (all the glowing blue poo poo in the engines is a TNG thing, guys) and adds needed mass to the design; on screen the ship just appears too wafer thin and spindly from too many angles without it.

On an unrelated note I think that if maybe ENT had been delayed by a year we would have gotten Star Trek: Romulan War type show because of 9/11.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Tighclops posted:

I like the NX refit because it takes care of some superfluous details I felt were misplaced on the original ship (all the glowing blue poo poo in the engines is a TNG thing, guys) and adds needed mass to the design; on screen the ship just appears too wafer thin and spindly from too many angles without it.

On an unrelated note I think that if maybe ENT had been delayed by a year we would have gotten Star Trek: Romulan War type show because of 9/11.

The NX-01 looks ugly and boxy to me, but something about it feels right both for it being a pre-TOS ship in the timeline, and it being in the aesthetics of early 2000's sci fi. I mean, it sucks in comparison to things like the new Galactica, but it is what it is. :shrug:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Railing Kill posted:

The NX-01 looks ugly and boxy to me, but something about it feels right both for it being a pre-TOS ship in the timeline, and it being in the aesthetics of early 2000's sci fi. I mean, it sucks in comparison to things like the new Galactica, but it is what it is. :shrug:

To be fair, new Galactica had a somewhat easier design space to work in. Aside from keeping the same basic profile as the original show, RDM was clearly leaning heavily on aviation/naval inspired stuff. It's a lot harder to make stuff that looks appropriate for Star Trek without just completely ripping off previous designs or making things that are clearly lazy kitbashes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

showbiz_liz posted:

Yeah but... the people whose ancestors lived in those countries still EXIST...

Yes, but they're not on the front lines of the geopolitical world. The Tellarites are now so safely ensconced in the heart of the Federation that they're not major players anymore.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

For me, the refit is incredibly lazy design in that it's an attempt to go "nuh uh, this is too a Star Trek!" by bolting on a massive additional hull to make the NX feel more like a Connie. Like, it was already being refit in season four; that proposed redesign isn't a refit, it's modifying an existing starframe into an entirely new class of ship based on an existing design. If the NX had gotten absolutely hosed up at the end of season four and they ended with having it turned into a testbed for, say, an experimental Warp 6 engine contained in an external hull so they could ditch it if it malfunctions, I could almost buy that. But as it is, it's just too clearly a lame attempt to attract the kind of grognards who think a pre-Federation Starfleet ship should look like the Constitution.

That's why I don't like the NX redesign. It's blatant pandering. The NX should be allowed to be who she is, which is flat. Y'all want her to get a big ol' set of falsies, but some ships are just... flat. And they should stay that way :v:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
As someone who is currently near the end of Enterprise, the first two seasons are completely skippable (Especially season 2, what a slog) but the show gets interesting in a flawed way in season 3 (and actually almost good by the end) and so far season 4 has been great and makes me sad for what could have been because it clearly found itself. I love the little 2-3 episode mini-arc stories.

The Xindi war takes Archer from a dumbass lovely diplomat to a much morally darker dumbass and makes trip less of a good ol' boy dumbass and gives him some pathos. T'pol goes downhill but she wasn't very good to begin with. It tones down the Plox weirdness a bit too. I thought the whole arc had a solid payoff too. I also enjoyed Malcom's little arc with the Maco leader

Also late season 3 and much of season 4 features copious amounts of Jeffrey Combs, which may be a factor in why it gets good. But if you are stuck on Enteprise (especially late s1- S2), just say gently caress it and skip to the season finale and start there.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 26, 2016

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That's why I don't like the NX redesign. It's blatant pandering. The NX should be allowed to be who she is, which is flat. Y'all want her to get a big ol' set of falsies, but some ships are just... flat. And they should stay that way :v:

Hahah get the gently caress out of here with this, it's still just an Akira with the nacelles flipped up and the decals changed

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sure it is. Doesn't mean it needs an extra hull strapped to the bottom.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Sure it is. Doesn't mean it needs an extra hull strapped to the bottom.

95% of Starfleet designs follow the 'saucer, primary hull, some nacelles' plan.

The exception being Mirandas and Akiras (and the Centaur in that one DS9 episode).

Well, and the no-nacelle designs like the Defiant and Steamrunner and such. But those are deliberately eschewing the standard.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 26, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tighclops posted:

Hahah get the gently caress out of here with this, it's still just an Akira with the nacelles flipped up and the decals changed

It logically follows to awkwardly introduce even more tacked-on retro stylings!

The NX is a Good Design for early human exploration. If it looked like a miniature Connie you'd call it just as much of a ripoff. That "design" isn't tied to any official source anyways. It's total fanwank.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

It logically follows to awkwardly introduce even more tacked-on retro stylings!

The NX is a Good Design for early human exploration. If it looked like a miniature Connie you'd call it just as much of a ripoff. That "design" isn't tied to any official source anyways. It's total fanwank.

I'm pretty sure the refit was designed by the same guy who did the CG model for the show and I think you could even buy it from that officially licensed company that's pumping out those die cast/plastic starships for way too much money so it's about as "official" as one can get, if that even matters anymore. It still sucks that so many of the little details are ripped straight off the Akira and then "excused" because oh look this old WW2 airplane has similar details. They literally look almost exactly the same in many cases on both starships. I think I read somewhere that the producers were straight up going to use the Akira as the hero ship at one point and the design we got was the result of the art guys going "What?!" but I'm not sure how true that is since it's too perfect an explanation.

I don't think the NX refit looks like a Connie any more than say, a Nebula or an Akira looks like a Miranda. They share a lot in common as you would expect of a ship from that era, but in a smaller, less refined and developed way- also what you'd expect. My main complaint is that they didn't bother removing the now superfluous and utterly tacky squished deflector "dish" on the saucer section, which seemed to have been almost an afterthought in the original design. I'll never understand why they didn't just go with an array of smaller, conventional dishes except for the fact that they thought it would have been too radical a departure from existing Starfleet lineage.

I've warmed up a lot to the NX design since 2001 but my main problem with it that I think the refit would have tackled is simply that the ship looks like a paper plate buzzing around unless you get into extreme close ups, and when coupled with how boring ENT's space battles typically were it just leads to the hero ship of the show feeling insubstantial in a way that other smaller ships like Voyager or even the Defiant and the Runabouts never managed. Maybe it has something to do with the ship being the first rendered solely with early 2000's CGI and no physical miniature, I don't know.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I recall correctly, the high-ups originally wanted to use the Akira verbatim and had to be convinced to allow them to make a retro version.

The Franklin kinda shows how the NX concept could be so much better, though.

I still think Enterprise should've given, like, Andorians secondary hulls and Tellarites the white TOS hull plating and Earth saucers and so on.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 26, 2016

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Febreeze posted:

As someone who is currently near the end of Enterprise, the first two seasons are completely skippable (Especially season 2, what a slog) but the show gets interesting in a flawed way in season 3 (and actually almost good by the end) and so far season 4 has been great and makes me sad for what could have been because it clearly found itself. I love the little 2-3 episode mini-arc stories.

The Xindi war takes Archer from a dumbass lovely diplomat to a much morally darker dumbass and makes trip less of a good ol' boy dumbass and gives him some pathos. T'pol goes downhill but she wasn't very good to begin with. It tones down the Plox weirdness a bit too. I thought the whole arc had a solid payoff too. I also enjoyed Malcom's little arc with the Maco leader

Also late season 3 and much of season 4 features copious amounts of Jeffrey Combs, which may be a factor in why it gets good. But if you are stuck on Enteprise (especially late s1- S2), just say gently caress it and skip to the season finale and start there.

I may do just that. I feel like this is a good compromise between "slog through all of it" and "gently caress it all." Knowing season two is worse than season one is saying quite a bit from where I'm standing, so that's particularly helpful. I'll probably finish up season one because I'm pretty much there already, and then check a list for season two. Does anyone have a list of must-watch eps for season two?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

But as it is, it's just too clearly a lame attempt to attract the kind of grognards who think a pre-Federation Starfleet ship should look like the Constitution.
No, us grognards know it should have looked like a Daedalus.

My main problem with the NX-01 is that it seems too spindly for a small early ship. I'm fine with narrow nacelle struts because that's par for the course, but the two bits of ship leading back to the nacelles are what, like one deck high? In a time without shields and presumably weaker materials you'd think you'd want to minimize weak points. If the nacelle struts came right from the saucer or it was just overall chunkier I think it would look better for the time period.

But really it should just be a Daedalus.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tighclops posted:

the ship looks like a paper plate buzzing around unless you get into extreme close ups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6iloWv-ygI&t=80s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Seconding the Franklin being a better execution of the basic NX design.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Knormal posted:

No, us grognards know it should have looked like a Daedalus.

My main problem with the NX-01 is that it seems too spindly for a small early ship. I'm fine with narrow nacelle struts because that's par for the course, but the two bits of ship leading back to the nacelles are what, like one deck high? In a time without shields and presumably weaker materials you'd think you'd want to minimize weak points. If the nacelle struts came right from the saucer or it was just overall chunkier I think it would look better for the time period.

It amazes me that nobody in the entire history of 5 shows and over a dozen movies has had the balls to actually show a Daedalus on screen, in canon (NOT a model). :mad:

Enterprise had a goddamn EPISODE called Daedalus and IT WASN'T loving ABOUT A SHIP. Cockteases!

Maybe Discovery wi---AHAHAHAHAHHAAHA no who am I kidding. :suicide:

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Oh right Star Trek Discovery. Almost forgot its supposed to start filming next month and not one word of a final cast yet.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

WarLocke posted:

95% of Starfleet designs follow the 'saucer, primary hull, some nacelles' plan.

The saucer is the primary hull.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Evek posted:

Oh right Star Trek Discovery. Almost forgot its supposed to start filming next month and not one word of a final cast yet.

It's going to be an anthology series on a new ship each week, showing life on the ships that aren't named Enterprise.

Each week the episode ends with the ship exploding and all hands lost, so they aren't investing into actors, they're just having a bunch of extras.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Astroman posted:

It amazes me that nobody in the entire history of 5 shows and over a dozen movies has had the balls to actually show a Daedalus on screen, in canon (NOT a model). :mad:

Enterprise had a goddamn EPISODE called Daedalus and IT WASN'T loving ABOUT A SHIP. Cockteases!

Maybe Discovery wi---AHAHAHAHAHHAAHA no who am I kidding. :suicide:

Wasn't there one in All Good Things?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

The saucer is the primary hull.

Fine, I typed primary and meant secondary. Nerds.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

It's going to be an anthology series on a new ship each week, showing life on the ships that aren't named Enterprise.

Each week the episode ends with the ship exploding and all hands lost, so they aren't investing into actors, they're just having a bunch of extras.

Or they could go the Aeon Flux route and kill off the same crew and the same ship, every episode. Ideally, we would finally see Harry Kim as a captain in this scenario. (No, I will never stop hating the soulless copy of Harry Kim.)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The NX-01 should totally have been a giant hitachi magic wand.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

The Franklin kinda shows how the NX concept could be so much better, though.

Well it would if we could actually SEE it. I'm still miffed that they didn't include a proper "beauty pass" to let us actually see the drat thing...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WarLocke posted:

The NX-01 should totally have been a giant hitachi magic wand.

IT'S FOR MY BACK, ADMIRAL, JEEZ!

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

man the crystalline entity was such a great addition to the trek universe, what with its two episodes 4 season apart and then being blown up in its second appearance :effort:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Wasn't there one in All Good Things?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

IT'S FOR MY BACK, ADMIRAL, JEEZ!

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Voth_Bulwark_Dreadnought_Cruiser

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If Enterprise were a much better show, or at least a ballsier one, it might have suggested that the Suliban were the allegorical Native Americans standing before the expansion of the pre-enlightened-Federation human colonial hegemony and that's why you never see any in the later series.

Speaking of fixing anachronisms...

The NX should be allowed to be who she is, which is an Akira that the producers literally wanted in a prequel with no modifications whatsoever.

Sorry man, it's lipsticks and pigs all the way down.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The NX-01 should have been a Romulan Bird of Prey with a different paint job.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cat Hatter posted:

The NX-01 should have been a Romulan Bird of Prey with a different paint job.

:agreed:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Knormal posted:

Nah, it should have been the Bonaventure from TAS!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Evek posted:

We haven't even had casting rumors yet. Rumors. I'm expecting another delay announcement any day now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

If you're looking for me
You better check under the sea

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

:gowron: Man, that isn't even subtle.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We haven't even had casting rumors yet. Rumors. I'm expecting another delay announcement any day now.

That, or "Star Trek: Discovery! Featuring: That Guy! With: That Other Guy, and That Girl From That Thing One Time!" Literally everyone in it is unknown. :ohdear:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Whole cast is CGI. Captain is a Gorn. Commander is a poltergeist.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
stay safe number one ghost

WarLocke posted:

Fine, I typed primary and meant secondary. Nerds.

"'saucer, primary hull, some nacelles'"

And you're not? A non-nerd would have said "disc, bottom bit, some engines". You can't just call us nerds and walk away. As penance, go buy and read the Technical Manual cover to cover. We'll wait here and argue about 'nacelle and warp containment theory' theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

The entire crew are those dudes from TNG who can't breathe Oxygen. They are all played by actors with extreme speech pathologies, stuttering violently through Dark Vader masks with fishbowls over their heads.