Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I can't think of one. Enjoy it!

I've been :f5:ing my tracking all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Oh that's disappointing, what's the point then ?

The point is to keep your texts when you switch phones or reset them.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I need an app so intense it crashes on this thing

I need to push the limit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got my Pixel XL today. Thank you for reading my post, everyone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Another nice feature the Pixel has is Direct Boot. Normally when you enter a pin, the phone halts in the boot process until you enter it. With the Pixel, it boots but keeps user data locked and encrypted until you supply the PIN. That way, things like alarms can still fire off and you can get incoming notifications, even incoming calls. If your phone reboots for some reason when you aren't paying attention to it (or sleeping) you still won't miss calls or your alarm due to it sitting at a PIN screen.

So, that, combined with the full SoC acceleration of encryption and fast fingerprint sensor basically means encryption and pin locking of your phone really adds zero overhead.

FOR FUCKS SAKES FINALLY!

This alone should make it the Android device of choice right now.

Seriously, after a day using this phone, every other single Android device (including all former Nexus or Pixel devices) feel like hobbyist half builds.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

bull3964 posted:

Another nice feature the Pixel has is Direct Boot. Normally when you enter a pin, the phone halts in the boot process until you enter it. With the Pixel, it boots but keeps user data locked and encrypted until you supply the PIN. That way, things like alarms can still fire off and you can get incoming notifications, even incoming calls. If your phone reboots for some reason when you aren't paying attention to it (or sleeping) you still won't miss calls or your alarm due to it sitting at a PIN screen.

So, that, combined with the full SoC acceleration of encryption and fast fingerprint sensor basically means encryption and pin locking of your phone really adds zero overhead.

FOR FUCKS SAKES FINALLY!

This alone should make it the Android device of choice right now.

Seriously, after a day using this phone, every other single Android device (including all former Nexus or Pixel devices) feel like hobbyist half builds.

You really shouldn't use a fingerprint to unlock your phone. Biometrics are not protected against 5th Amendment self incrimination so the police can force you to unlock your encrypted phone. A pin or pattern lock is because it's contained in your mind.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

You really shouldn't use a fingerprint to unlock your phone. Biometrics are not protected against 5th Amendment self incrimination so the police can force you to unlock your encrypted phone. A pin or pattern lock is because it's contained in your mind.
Is there no way to set a timeout, whereby if the device isn't unlocked in that period it then requires the passcode to unlock?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Isn't android already like this on any other phone? I've never has a situation where my phone was on and missed notifications or alarms because I hadn't unlocked it yet. This includes tablets that see very little daily use and often shut down due to being dead. If the device was on, I've never missed alerts that I needed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

That's not really an argument I feel like having right now (nor probably the thread.) One protection against this is just shutting down your phone since fingerprint won't work off boot.

People can decide for themselves what level of security vs privacy they want.

Taffer posted:

Isn't android already like this on any other phone? I've never has a situation where my phone was on and missed notifications or alarms because I hadn't unlocked it yet. This includes tablets that see very little daily use and often shut down due to being dead. If the device was on, I've never missed alerts that I needed.

But were the devices encrypted? That's the key piece. The pin provides the encryption key to unlock the storage upon boot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You can tell a lot of people are activating their phones tonight, Google Play is slow as poo poo.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bull3964 posted:

It's not just Samsung. Same deal with my N5x and MXP.

Hell, it runs circles around my Pixel C.

It's increasingly becoming my favorite device to use at even the exclusion of my tablets.

The 5X and Moto X Pure are running lesser hardware than the S7 Edge, though! Honestly, my Pixel feels significantly faster/smoother than a 6P, which is pretty crazy. I don't actually know, but I'd assume the 821 is a relatively modest jump from the 810 in the 6P.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

I said come in! posted:

You can tell a lot of people are activating their phones tonight, Google Play is slow as poo poo.

Maybe Tuesday is maintenance day like Steam

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Taffer posted:

If you reboot your phone and it's encrypted, it pauses and waits for your passcode before booting. It loads absolutely nothing before then. I guess Pixel will now boot and allow alarms to work, but still keep your data encrypted.

If the the device is on and already booted and running, there's no need to unlock anything.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

bull3964 posted:

But were the devices encrypted? That's the key piece. The pin provides the encryption key to unlock the storage upon boot.

Ah, no. Never felt a need to do that.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is there no way to set a timeout, whereby if the device isn't unlocked in that period it then requires the passcode to unlock?

Yeah I was wondering about that myself. Or just hitting the lock button on the lock screen, which works with Smart Unlock. Forces you to enter your passcode even if a Smart Unlock device/location is connected. Seems kinda silly if you can't do that with fingeprint lock as well.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
I upgraded to the Pixel XL from the 6P and I must say I absolutely love this phone so far. It will definitely need a case but I have zero complaints....if you are on the fence and have the extra money, I'd say go for it. If you need a ~350-400$ phone you can't go wrong with a 6P but this is a much better experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Battery life has been pretty decent for me. Seems to be faring better than my MXP. Right now, I've been off charge for 13 hours and have 3hr 5min of SoT and I'm sitting at 30% battery left.

I mean, it's not super amazing or anything, but it's usable for me and it's a nice small form factory.

The phone charges from flat to 100% in 90 minutes. In 60 minutes it will go from flat to 80%.

I honestly didn't see much difference in total charge time when using a 18w charger vs a 15w one but I didn't time it with a stopwatch or anything. I have a feeling that the total charge time doesn't change much, but it will get to a certain level of charge a bit faster.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
The very first two burst shots I took with the pixel had a nasty lens flare.. so I google it and lo and behold: http://phandroid.com/2016/10/25/google-confirms-pixel-camera-lens-flare-issue-software-fix-incoming/

"best camera ever on a phone!"

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

n.. posted:

The very first two burst shots I took with the pixel had a nasty lens flare.. so I google it and lo and behold: http://phandroid.com/2016/10/25/google-confirms-pixel-camera-lens-flare-issue-software-fix-incoming/

"best camera ever on a phone!"

Payback for all those years photoshopping lens flare into every single digital image.

Bummer. I was excited to get a better camera than on my HTC M8, but I see HTC is still making itself known any way they can.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

effika posted:

Payback for all those years photoshopping lens flare into every single digital image.

Bummer. I was excited to get a better camera than on my HTC M8, but I see HTC is still making itself known any way they can.

That's, uh, a little extreme. Google is addressing the excessive flare in a software update if you read the link, and the Pixel is widely reviewed as one of the best smartphone cameras ever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
To be fair it's only at a specific angle and lighting scenario, but the fact that I was able to get it randomly on my first two shots doesn't bode well. I can see it clearly in the viewfinder though now that I know to look for it, so it's easy enough to avoid by adjusting a little. It's still annoying though.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bull3964 posted:

So your new phone had the same stuff on it your old phone does.

Total storage for any one app is limited to 25mb, so it's not like you can have 10 years of conversations restored anyways.

Taffer posted:

The point is to keep your texts when you switch phones or reset them.

Yeah no poo poo, thanks

but what's the point of having all your texts going back however long if there's no way of searching anything. Even 25mb is a huge amount of them, you just gonna keep scrolling and scrolling back?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

:3: I need burst feature in my life.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mister Macys posted:

No poo poo:

Burst is amazing because the photos assistant will automatically turn them into gifs.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Why is your house all wobbly?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

monster on a stick posted:

Why is your house all wobbly?

Because it's old

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah no poo poo, thanks

but what's the point of having all your texts going back however long if there's no way of searching anything. Even 25mb is a huge amount of them, you just gonna keep scrolling and scrolling back?

You can search in the messaging app?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Any news on google's Daydream VR and what it would mean if you have a pixel?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

uPen posted:

You can search in the messaging app?

That was the question I asked originally and was told you couldn't, I've never used messenger myself so had no reason to doubt that

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

n.. posted:

To be fair it's only at a specific angle and lighting scenario, but the fact that I was able to get it randomly on my first two shots doesn't bode well. I can see it clearly in the viewfinder though now that I know to look for it, so it's easy enough to avoid by adjusting a little. It's still annoying though.

When you sell millions of phones, taking hundreds of pictures, even one-in-a-million happens surprisingly often.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

So, someone wrote a few pages ago that the Pixel definitely wasn't a A9 because some parts are different. And I guess they were technically correct (the best kind of correct). However they probably still took over an HTC phone, just an unfinished one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sereri posted:

So, someone wrote a few pages ago that the Pixel definitely wasn't a A9 because some parts are different. And I guess they were technically correct (the best kind of correct). However they probably still took over an HTC phone, just an unfinished one.

Ooh jesus christ, these sites will grasp at anything for easy clicks. I dunno, the narrative of this article just seems so pointless and stupid. This is a dumb thing to write about. The phone is fantastic and implying it had a rushed development cycle when we live in the year of the Note 7 is laughable. Rushed implies the phone isn't good, period. It's a fantastic phone and so far no one has spotted any serious flaws. How the phone was made doesn't mean anything when it's this good, people are only looking for answers when a product drops the ball in a horrible way.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Ooh jesus christ, these sites will grasp at anything for easy clicks. I dunno, the narrative of this article just seems so pointless and stupid. This is a dumb thing to write about. The phone is fantastic and implying it had a rushed development cycle when we live in the year of the Note 7 is laughable. Rushed implies the phone isn't good, period. It's a fantastic phone and so far no one has spotted any serious flaws. How the phone was made doesn't mean anything when it's this good, people are only looking for answers when a product drops the ball in a horrible way.

I don't know. The tone of the article is definitely weird -- it feels like it's whining that the Pixel isn't some kind of crazy revolutionary completely new thing and is just a really good Android phone -- but I think that the assertion that HTC had more to do with the design of the phone than Google are letting on is probably newsworthy. (For that matter, so is the idea that HTC designed the best-ever Android phone!)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I said come in! posted:

They are saying that because it's so good it couldn't have been made in 9 months like Google says and they it had a much more typical development cycle because it is a rebranded HTC phone that Google actually didn't have all that much to do with.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Hey phone posting from 2015! I just got my 6P to replace my busted rear end N5 and it's pretty cool. Feels like a big upgrade, although I'm noticing something weird with the Google keyboard where it will frequently switch to emojis or hit return when I'm trying to swipe type on the left hand side (right handed). Makes it sometimes very annoying to type.

Is it just due to Mahoosive screen or is there another issue? I feel like it may just be because of the angle when I'm stretching my thumb across.
Fake edit: just realised it's because of the palm of my hand hitting the return button when really stretching. So one handed typing might be out. drat my tiny Trump hands!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Use the one handed keyboard

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

That was the question I asked originally and was told you couldn't, I've never used messenger myself so had no reason to doubt that

Just on whim I tried it and you really can't. I searched for "work", a term that despite my few conversations would almost certainly be plentiful. The only results were the most recent occurrence of the word in each conversation. Searching in GMail though I get 59 historical references to the word throughout all conversations. SMS Backup+ and having your SMS threads auto-delete at like 50 is a way better and way more usable solution than restoring long threads and having a next-to-useless search function.

docbeard posted:

I don't know. The tone of the article is definitely weird -- it feels like it's whining that the Pixel isn't some kind of crazy revolutionary completely new thing and is just a really good Android phone -- but I think that the assertion that HTC had more to do with the design of the phone than Google are letting on is probably newsworthy. (For that matter, so is the idea that HTC designed the best-ever Android phone!)

I don't see what's weird about the tone. In order to get a device ready in the shortened timeline they adapted an early product to fit their needs, nothing really wrong with that. It was obviously early enough in the development phase that Google could ask for and get things like the camera module they wanted. I think if there's disappointment it's coming from the perspective that maybe the Pixel isn't representative of an in-house, home-grown aesthetic and that maybe by Google controlling the process from inception that this will change moving forward. I'm not so sure that will be the case, but under Osterloh Motorola had a clear hardware aesthetic so maybe?

Either way the article is news because knowing the timeline of the Huawei deal falling through and how quickly HTC was able to produce such a refined product (not just a well-built one but one that obviously is in harmony with its software) seems to indicate that as good as it is, a longer gestation period could only be beneficial.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mister Macys posted:

Isn't this native to the Google Camera app? I use it all the time on my 6P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Speaking of phone aesthetics, has anyone posted this bezel-less Xaomi phone? It's...interesting. There's reasons I think minor bezels are a good thing but this does look pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7plA1ALkQw