Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/791142896590286848

Ahahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Anyone who gets in a Twitter war with the Dilbert guy needs to point out that they are like Dogbert and Dilbert guy is like the lovely boss. I feel like this would get to him more than anything else.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?lang=en

This, except with hats

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

:allears:

There's a dril post for every occasion this election cycle.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Where da fug he living. Rent ain't no drat $800 unless you're living in a meth house.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TheGreyGhost posted:

Dayton/Youngtown/Toledo/Akron are all depressing as gently caress, and you shouldn't live there. Most of my extended family lives in the outskirts of Akron or Youngstown, and it's like stepping into a Stephen King novel everytime I go out there. Don't do it.
1. So where's Kent State? The song that most often pops up in my head is 4 dead in Ohio by Neil Young when thinking about Ohio, followed by that lovely lovely Cincinnati song from Babes in Toyland that I always have repressed.
2. Do you have descriptive opinions of other states you frequent if any? Why is Indiana so conservative compared to Illinois for instance?
3. Is the ARC a hollowed out sack of poo poo excuse of a federal rehab of Appalachia like I'm led to believe?
4. Does anyone here have a drat good summary of Pennsylvania? Last time I was there I was for a model UN conference in Philly...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I went to Philly a year ago for a Model UN conference and thought the place at large looked like abandoned graffiti factory shite, I resided at a huge hotel right next to what has to be the world's largest Albanian Orthodox Church, we had no internet or room service and many, many of my fellow delegates were forced to sleep on the floor because they ran out of beds. I got selected to oversee the UN process over intellectual rights, which was the biggest snooze-fest ever and I had to excuse myself several times. I also forgot to pack more underwear for the five day trip. Everything downtown from coffee to whatever little groceries there were was overpriced compared to back home in Maine, and the nearest restaurant was a chipotle roughly 9 blocks away. We had a dance at the end but it played nothing but poo poo you'd hear on vine compilations with too many seizure-inducing lights and lasers, so it wasn't that enjoyable (except for a couple of lap dances I witnessed seeing). Oh and on the second/third day of the conference the Paris attacks happened, so that was really what I remembered from that trip.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Guys, guys are we still making fun of Ohio?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

O-H

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Grouchio posted:

2. Do you have descriptive opinions of other states you frequent if any? Why is Indiana so conservative compared to Illinois for instance?

It's never because the whole state votes Democratic. It's all confined to major metropolitan areas.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

hai mark

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

That's an alcohol group yes. The two carbon version is drat good.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Illinois minus Chicago is very conservative. That's what Indiana is.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

In a dream world, he goes to one of the jails he helped to propagate, learns the extent of the damage a place like that can do to someone, and spends the rest of his life fighting against the monster he helped to created.

Of course, here in reality, he's not going to get any sort of punishment and thus not learn a drat thing other than "I should be a bit more careful with my discrimination."

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Star Man posted:

It's never because the whole state votes Democratic. It's all confined to major metropolitan areas.

Maps like this always make me wonder: what's to stop a state from electing their electors based on something like a state-level electoral college? Like, whichever candidate wins the most counties in that state is awarded all the electoral votes, for example? If you did this you'd make enough solid-blue states reliably Republican that you'd hand the Presidency to the GOP on a platter regardless of how the demographics play out in the near future. What are the odds that enough Republican state houses try this that it actually tips the balance of power to the GOP to such a degree that is impossible to overcome?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

USC poll is back up to Trump + 1 the end is near!!!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Star Man posted:

So whats going on in this area?:

Its not Chicago, its not the twin cities, its not Milwaukee, its not even really Des Moines, the only thing I can think of in that area at all is Madison and thats along the edge.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kilroy posted:

Maps like this always make me wonder: what's to stop a state from electing their electors based on something like a state-level electoral college? Like, whichever candidate wins the most counties in that state is awarded all the electoral votes, for example? If you did this you'd make enough solid-blue states reliably Republican that you'd hand the Presidency to the GOP on a platter regardless of how the demographics play out in the near future. What are the odds that enough Republican state houses try this that it actually tips the balance of power to the GOP to such a degree that is impossible to overcome?

Nebraska and Maine have electoral votes that aren't bound to the popular vote to the state. I imagine there are Republicans that wold love it if every state was like that.

Tom Guycot posted:

Its not Chicago, its not the twin cities, its not Milwaukee, its not even really Des Moines, the only thing I can think of in that area at all is Madison and thats along the edge.

I have no idea because I know nothing about those places aside from being able to point to them on a map. Teton County in Wyoming went for Obama in 2012 and that's where all of the richest fucks in the state live.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kilroy posted:

Are you suggesting some kind of weird system where each county gets one vote, regardless of population? I have no idea if that's actually illegal or not, but it's blatant enough that I imagine it would cause an unimaginable political shitstorm. You're talking about state legislatures conspiring to disenfranchise the most populous counties in their states.

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know about that area specifically, but keep in mind that the urban/rural divide is a huge simplification. Even a lot of deep red counties will still reliably vote 40-45% Democratic. County maps that only show you which candidate won aren't very useful.

Edit-
this is 2008, but that whole area looks pretty purple to me:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Lutherans are way chiller than other Protestants.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
German midwesterners + college towns are much cooler than the rest of the midwest

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ya the Midwest is nice so long as you stick near college towns (and even then, research) and big cities

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Ah, the Team Fortress 2 strategy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
And before anyone else asks the north shore of Minnesota is blue because of a long history of organized labor in the iron range mining. There's conflict with the environmental interests in the DFL but the coalition has done a good job with the state. Also Duluth has done a decent job of becoming a post-insustrial tourism driven city instead of just a dump.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Epic High Five posted:

Ya the Midwest is nice so long as you stick near college towns (and even then, research) and big cities

Well see, thats what I always wonder whenever I see that map, because it doesn't seem like that area really encompasses areas at least that I know of and would say are college towns or big cities. I guess It's just always seemed like this rather strangely large blob of blue compared to around it. I mean most of the big cities are surrounded by red that then gives way to this massive blue spot.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 26, 2016

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Tom Guycot posted:

Well see, thats what I always wonder whenever I see that map, because it doesn't seem like that area really encompasses areas at least that I know of and would say are college towns or big cities. I guess It's just always seemed like this rather strangely large blob of blue compared to around it. I mean most of the big cities are surrounded by red that then gives way to this massive blue spot.

That blue area is literally all of iowa city (u of i) + the quad cities + des moines

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Also geologically that area corresponds with the driftless region which wasn't glaciated and it means there's more dairy farming and less corn farming.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Indiana's map is basically blue counties where the colleges are, and then Perry down south, which is apparently some very isolated population that works in the auto industry.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

Midwest also has weird ethnic enclaves like Yoopers and towns that only just stopped speaking Dutch-only like a couple decades ago. If that's a heavily Lutheran area that may be why. Basically any religious group that got persecuted by the Klan are solid Democrats now for some weird reason

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

Indiana's map is basically blue counties where the colleges are, and then Perry down south, which is apparently some very isolated population that works in the auto industry.

Colleges haven't saved West Lafayette and Muncie from the encroaching Rurals. I assume South Bend is p bad too because everything to do with Notre Dame is

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Themagicalgoat posted:

Someone try and sell him a rock that keeps tigers away.

"I don't see any ISIS around here do you? PROOF POSITIVE."

"YOU FOOL!"
*Throws rock far away, tackles you*
"Don't you get it? ISIS wants us to have this rock!" :tinfoil:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Epic High Five posted:

Colleges haven't saved West Lafayette and Muncie from the encroaching Rurals. I assume South Bend is p bad too because everything to do with Notre Dame is

Indiana is also a pretty undesirable place to live

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bip Roberts posted:

And before anyone else asks the north shore of Minnesota is blue because of a long history of organized labor in the iron range mining. There's conflict with the environmental interests in the DFL but the coalition has done a good job with the state. Also Duluth has done a decent job of becoming a post-insustrial tourism driven city instead of just a dump.

It helps that Duluth is such a big college town + incredibly beautiful naturally. I think if Hibbing for example had a big population and industry boom that it wouldn't have been able to play off anything instead of just putting detroit to shame.

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

That blue area is literally all of iowa city (u of i) + the quad cities + des moines

Ah, see this is what I was looking for. I don't know the area at all so it looked strange from someone who kinda recognized the general layout of the upper midwest, but not in that much detail. Thanks!

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 26, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Indy is nice, as is Bloomington

Rest is pretty awful tho. Maybe Fort Wayne is okay? I dunno you never hear about it

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Epic High Five posted:

Muncie is blue on the map! But I did mean to include "gently caress Purdue" in my original post.

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Depends on where you live, Epic High Five is down in Indiana's Austin, and my area of Indianapolis has more "Pence must go" signs than Trump signs.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Epic High Five posted:

Indy is nice, as is Bloomington

Rest is pretty awful tho. Maybe Fort Wayne is okay? I dunno you never hear about it

i've definitely heard about fort wayne. Indiana is dependent on Chicago for its "goodness" imo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

i've definitely heard about fort wayne. Indiana is dependent on Chicago for its "goodness" imo

Lol Gary

More like Chicago is dependent on Indiana for its violence

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Eltoasto posted:

Depends on where you live, Epic High Five is down in Indiana's Austin, and my area of Indianapolis has more "Pence must go" signs than Trump signs.

It's still weird to me that a significant chunk of Indiana essentially believes "man this Mike Pence guy sure does suck. Better put him one heartbeat away from the Presidency!"

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Epic High Five posted:

Lol Gary

More like Chicago is dependent on Indiana for its violence

have you heard about
code:
harold's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lozzle posted:

It's still weird to me that a significant chunk of Indiana essentially believes "man this Mike Pence guy sure does suck. Better put him one heartbeat away from the Presidency!"

He got elected by pretending to be a moderate, then went full nutjob and embarassed us for years running. Attaching himself to Trump is better than losing bigly, which is what he was slated to. A lot of the state is blood red and super lovely, but the evangelicals don't control all the levers like they do in Brownbackistan

• Locked thread