Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone still playing pokemon go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Anyone still playing pokemon go?

I still start it up when I have to walk all the way across campus. It takes the sting out of walking back and forth just because my classes and parking are really far apart. I usually hatch at least one egg per day, just following my normal routine.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
tom clancy rpg

thanks, cool black guy

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

the 3ds is like find a round thing and i tried many actual round things, including a cannonball, but all that worked was my car keys

Why do you have a cannonball

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

GOTY to me means it's the edition of the game with all of the dlc and bonus content.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Why do you have a cannonball

the guy i share an office with has a cannonball on his desk.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Is he a pirate?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

the guy i share an office with has a cannonball on his desk.

That's really cool.

Is is a real cannonball? Like, from history? Like was it shot out of a cannon? or was it at least cast with the intention of being shot out of a cannon?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

he was in the navy, and is doing a thesis on naval history, so he has naval stuff, including a cannonball, in his office, which is also my office

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wanted to get the 1050 ti today but all my money's on amazon and they didnt get any today except for a marked up card from zotac. gently caress

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

bloodychill posted:

Is he a pirate?

K. Rool has had to take a job to make ends meet until he finally gets the call to suit up.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who is modern Donkey Kong's archnemesis?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the history books

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The Great Ape War will be made reality when Retro Studios announces DKCR3 instead of "A New Metroid" and burnt Metroid fans take out their aggression on the simian population.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

the history books

I expect this is a clever joke but I don't get it :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I expect this is a clever joke but I don't get it :(

it's not clever at all but I'm flattered you think so

http://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:BJAODN/April_Fool%27s_2015#Great_Ape_War

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

In Training posted:

Kirby Block Ball is the coolest arkanoid/breakout game I've ever played

Real talk, you need to try BreakQuest.

...You also need to try it on roughly a mid-Windows-XP-era PC because there's a CPU clock issue that makes it run at almost double speed on modern systems. If you can dig up an old laptop or netbook for it, it is fine.

Wamdoodle posted:

The original Killing Floor was zombie horde mode. I haven't played KF2.

KF1 is an immaculately balanced survival horde mode on a seriously old and janky UT2K4-mod-based engine with almost too much content to sift through at this point. KF2 is on a shiny new visceral as hell and well optimized engine, it's got enough content (including a crappy vs mode literally nobody plays) and it is way more fun to RIP AND TEAR stuff in, but the balancing is chaotic at best and it's just not the same tactical experience at all.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 26, 2016

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

quote:

Manky Kong uprising

The Manky Kong tribe initially fought on the side of the Primate Alliance in exchange for the recognition of the sovereignty of Utan Island. However, as early losses piled up, uncertainty over the future of the Primate Alliance, combined with existing racial tensions, lead to the Manky Tribe prioritize the survival of their kind and openly rebel against the Primate Alliance. After an uprising of 20,000 Manky Kongs in the Pineapple ghetto of Donkey Kong Island was successfully put down by Primate Alliance personnel, in a final act of desperation, the Orang-Utan council sent their finest asset: Lanky Kong, an amoral supersoldier and manchurian agent designed to subvert the Primate Alliance from within. However, Lanky somehow deleted his programming and went native.

:stare:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What the gently caress is this poo poo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've changed my mind: video games are bad

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snak posted:

If I only have a ps4, what Yakuza titles are available to me? I feel like it's a franchise I should check out.

ImpAtom posted:

Yakuza 0 is coming out in January. That's the first PS4 one unless they are on PSNow

From a while back but I am also interested in getting Yakuza and want to thank you for posting this.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How's everyone doing this early morning?

I'm not doing too well to be honest, kinda meh because I ended up getting into an argument over facebook with my cousin and she ended up saying some rude things and blocking me so that's been dragging me down, but I know I'll bounce back eventually, and I wish everybody else to have a good day and if you are not, I hope that you are as elastic as I am in bouncing back :D I know even though things can be disappointing and annoying and bad things happen, that eventually things will get better, and I hope everybody's wednesday will go well regardless of what happens.

Good luck everybody and don't get into any major trouble :D

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No matter how bad games are, Facebook is worse.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Could be, not all games need stories.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

GOTY to me means it's the edition of the game with all of the dlc and bonus content.
I like when devs choose a super special snowflake name for the GOTY version like Two Worlds II: Velvet Edition :wtc:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Also :rip: Evolve :rip:

EDIT: Welp, I only now read the previous page, beaten like Trump next month.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 26, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Color me shocked the game that was "designed from the ground up to include tons of DLC" failed miserably.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bloodychill posted:

Could be, not all games need stories.
Miyamoto was right

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Miyamoto was right

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
no the internet was definitely right when they said paper mario proved miyamoto was out of touch and should retire

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if the internet told you to jump off a bridge would you do it!!!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Quest For Glory II posted:

if the internet told you to jump off a bridge would you do it!!!
Depends on how cute the internet was.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Unfunny Poster posted:

Color me shocked the game that was "designed from the ground up to include tons of DLC" failed miserably.
This was the free to play relaunch. It just died again because a lot of people didn't want to give it a second shot and those who did got bored of it pretty fast. It was a lot more fun to play than the general opinion would have you believe but I'm not surprised they couldn't Frankenstein it back to life.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Are there any examples where relaunching the game somehow turned the tide after the initial failure?

It seems to me that there is only one shot at a successful release and any hype about a rerelease turning things around is temporary. But maybe I just don't know about titles proving this wrong.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Evolve was bad in theory and worse in execution, it's no wonder no one gave it a second chance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

Are there any examples where relaunching the game somehow turned the tide after the initial failure?

It seems to me that there is only one shot at a successful release and any hype about a rerelease turning things around is temporary. But maybe I just don't know about titles proving this wrong.

FF 14, although their rerelease involved a bunch of money and remaking the whole game practically from scratch.
A few other failing MMO's got a boost going from subscription to f2p.
Can't think of anything else though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Healbot posted:

Evolve was bad in theory and worse in execution, it's no wonder no one gave it a second chance.

I think asymmetric combat with tech'd out hunters vs giant monsters is a great concept, but you can't make running and hiding core gameplay.

Man, Evolve and No Man's Sky should be the last examples the gaming community should ever need to avoid preorders and DLC heavy games, and yet...

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Man, Evolve and No Man's Sky should be the last examples the gaming community should ever need to avoid preorders and DLC heavy games, and yet...

I apparently still didn't learn my lesson and jumped on the Shadow Warrior 2 bandwagon. Which apparently everybody loves but me. To me it's trying way, way too hard to be both Borderlands and Diablo and the balancing and level design are shot completely to hell because of it.

That and the engine has technical issues out the rear end that they're ignoring in favor of issuing balance changes to player skills, one of the few areas where the balance WASN'T completely broken :geno:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I preordered Shadow Warrior 2 and am extremely glad I did so because it rules and I got it for half price :smug:

edit: By which I mean, whether preorders are good for the consumer or not is up in the air and is something that can't really be qualified by "I preordered this and it was good or many people preordered this and it was good"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The occasional person not liking a game that everyone else does is to be expected and doesn't point to an issue with pre-orders or Kickstarters. That said, it is true that there have been way too many disappointing releases lately and failed Kickstarters. In general you should not be pre-ordering.

Reminder of games to not pre-order: Final Fantasy XV is out in a month, please don't get bit by the hype train with this game. It does look good, but there's also so many things about the gameplay that worry me.

• Locked thread