Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Is there such a shounen or action show where women aren't either patronized at or sexualized? I've been binge watching One Piece lately and got through Dressrosa and it reminded me why I started to get a bit turned off the series - Oda just comes off as someone who thinks women are dainty delicate flowers should be locked away from the world lest a cloud block out the sun for a moment causing them to wilt and die instantly. Men are heroic and strong while women cry or are wacky. Only women who are aggressive are his standard "big lady" types so no one feels bad that the tits and rear end got beaten up badly by the bad guy.

It's a shame he's been moving in this direction for a while since he wasn't like this in the beginning. I still like the series but his conservative views on gender are starting to show in his art which is getting distracting.

Durarara maybe? There's at least lots of different types of characters of both genders in it.

Also, Bodacious Space Pirates believe it or not.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's bit heavier on drama than action, but akatsuki no yona is about a princess who starts out mentally broken by the betrayal of her loved one and then slowly develops into a total badass

pretty much every precure show is a super action-oriented magical girl show about beating up bad guys, and i mean, like, punching and kicking the poo poo out of them

symphogear has some weird fanservice in the first season but after a rough start it becomes one of the most ridiculously over-the-top action shows ever, with an almost entirely female cast. also features a scene where the main character, in the middle of combat, yells "THESE ARE GETTING IN THE WAY" and snaps her high heels off of her boots

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 26, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Is there such a shounen or action show where women aren't either patronized at or sexualized? I've been binge watching One Piece lately and got through Dressrosa and it reminded me why I started to get a bit turned off the series - Oda just comes off as someone who thinks women are dainty delicate flowers should be locked away from the world lest a cloud block out the sun for a moment causing them to wilt and die instantly. Men are heroic and strong while women cry or are wacky. Only women who are aggressive are his standard "big lady" types so no one feels bad that the tits and rear end got beaten up badly by the bad guy.

It's a shame he's been moving in this direction for a while since he wasn't like this in the beginning. I still like the series but his conservative views on gender are starting to show in his art which is getting distracting.

Izetta, The Last Witch is off to a good enough start - the latest episode (4 of an eventual 12) has some really out of place fanservice, but outside of that it's been a WWII drama with two pretty badass, intelligent, and proactive women in the lead roles. Though, like I said, we're only a third of the way in and the writer's had some real busts in the past, so buyer beware.

Flip Flappers is another good candidate from the current season.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Busou Renkin has a pretty good female main character in that regard.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

A Monstrous Crow posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Blue Exorcist, D.Grayman and Magi are all based on manga written by women, but I'm not familiar enough with them to say how they handle things.

FMA owns on that front, it's got women who are heroes, villains, experts, teachers, warriors, it's never sexist or condescending and doesn't fall into a lot of the common pitfalls of dumb shonen humor.

D. Gray Man does well enough. It's got some jokes about how the commander is overprotective of his sister and kind of plays it off like he's being harmlessly silly even when he's being a huge creep, but that's pretty minor in the greater scheme of things.

I haven't watched or read the others.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if older stuff is fine, there's also dirty pair and gunsmith cats, both of which are about an action duo shooting up bad guys

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try to look into them.

I think I'm just getting to the point with this stuff that I just notice it more than I used to. Action anime is the only anime I really watch and really enjoy - I like the over-to-top silliness of battles and yelling out special attacks. I'm all for a good laugh but certain patterns start to emerge and certain genders fall into archetypes that seem to rarely be broken. Even the clothes they wear (men wear pants, women wear skirts, always). Like, outside of Air Master, I don't think I've seen a lead lady protagonist outright say they loving love to fight. Those that do are either villains or are stylistically different from the "pretty" women that it's almost commentary that this is an ugly trait to match a physically ugly person so it's very undesirable or improper for women to have.

I've seen FMA:Brotherhood and Magi and the former is really good with its portrayal of women and the latter is decent. I haven't seen the two seasons on netflix in a while but I do remember there being a few boob jokes in there. I do like the world of that anime, though. It's neat.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try to look into them.

I think I'm just getting to the point with this stuff that I just notice it more than I used to. Action anime is the only anime I really watch and really enjoy - I like the over-to-top silliness of battles and yelling out special attacks. I'm all for a good laugh but certain patterns start to emerge and certain genders fall into archetypes that seem to rarely be broken. Even the clothes they wear (men wear pants, women wear skirts, always). Like, outside of Air Master, I don't think I've seen a lead lady protagonist outright say they loving love to fight. Those that do are either villains or are stylistically different from the "pretty" women that it's almost commentary that this is an ugly trait to match a physically ugly person so it's very undesirable or improper for women to have.

I've seen FMA:Brotherhood and Magi and the former is really good with its portrayal of women and the latter is decent. I haven't seen the two seasons on netflix in a while but I do remember there being a few boob jokes in there. I do like the world of that anime, though. It's neat.

Oh! I don't know how I forgot until now, but Symphogear might be right up your alley. It's a music-themed Magical Girl show so it does have all the skirts and clothing transformations that come up with that genre, but the lead character is a sweet, friendly, reasonably well-written 15 year old girl whose hobbies include singing, cuddling with the gf, and performing rocket-powered kung-fu on giant monsters from another dimension. It's bombastic as hell (which I love, but might not be your thing) and it stumbles in a few places, but I really like it, and that's primarily on the strength of its character writing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
symphogear is a story about a 15-year-old girl communicating her feelings and understanding the feelings of others through the language of music and punching

everyone in symphogear has special attacks with unique names that are flashed on screen every time they are used

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 26, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kuno posted:

I'm not really an anime man but I've been watching the JoJos and enjoying them. I'm kind of considering subbing to Crunchyroll because it sucks to always be a week behind, and I guess abstractly it would be good to support the show/site since I don't watch the ads... but I kind of don't want to sub just for something that gives me like a half hour of entertainment a week and is also ending in a few months maybe? I don't actually know how much is left of the series.

So, what shows should I watch to justify the subscription? I would like things with a generally upbeat tone (doesn't have to be looney tunes 24/7 but I'm not really in the mood for depressing poo poo atm.) With some sort of fantastical setting, be that fantasy, sci-fi or real world with a twist. Preferably with some level of action/adventure, I'm not so much interested in watching a show about the mundane life of Japanese schoolkids unless the schoolkids also have punch-ghosts.
Keep in mind you also get Crunchyroll Manga alongside an anime subscription, and there's quite a few very good series available there as well. Here's a list of good upbeat ones and then others separated that are good but not really upbeat or VERY MUCH not upbeat, so that you can keep them in mind for when you're in a better mood for some darker or more serious stuff.

Fun/upbeat/absurd:
ReLife(shockingly great given the premise)
Donyatsu(hasn't updated in a while, may never finish)
Fort of Apocalypse(completely ridiculous zombie outbreak series)
Spirit Circle(completed, very good)
Sweetness and Lightning(haven't read yet, but have heard great things)
Princess Jellyfish(bunch of shut-ins team up with a crossdresser to save their home, really good)
Joshi Kausei(fantastic largely wordless slice of life following an airheaded schoolgirl in her day-to-day)
Hoshi no Samidare: The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer(slow start but around chapter 17ish it gets going and never stops)
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru(amazing and genuinely hilarious slice of life, one of the best)

More serious/less upbeat:
A Silent Voice(bullying and redemption)
Attack on Titan(goes to some wild and wooly places)
Orange(deals with crippling depression and trauma, extremely good)
Inside Mari(by the Flowers of Evil person)

Do Not Read This poo poo Under Any Circumstance I Am 100% Serious:
Fuuka(more like fuuka you)

There's some others that I hear might be good but haven't read yet so I left them off.

Cake Attack posted:

attack on titan is OK but I wouldn't super recommend it since it basically just keeps getting worse as time goes on
I would argue that aside from the filler bits about halfway through, the anime's pretty drat good overall. But yeah it's anything but upbeat.

God, I can't wait for the second season though. I CAN'T WAIT. There's at least half a dozen loving huge things in the stuff they will likely cover, compared to...2 or 3 in the original season. And hopefully this time they'll give the studio more than a week's time to make each episode ahahaha nevermind, it's Japan

Jimbot posted:

I won't disagree with you, but lately female characters have had at least some time to fight. One of the yet-to-be-revealed characters from Zou is great, Nami gets her time in the spotlight recently, and during Dressrosa Robin did that pretty metal defensive move to protect Rebecca and got super hosed up by it. And it seems like we may actually get a real Robin fight during the current manga arc, as well, which she hasn't had since fuckin' SKYPIEA. Though that one was one of my favorites in the entire series.

The Colonel posted:

if older stuff is fine, there's also dirty pair and gunsmith cats, both of which are about an action duo shooting up bad guys
please do not recommend gunsmith cats to people

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 26, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's nothing objectionable in the three-part OAV Gunsmith Cats anime.
The manga, eh

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you only watch the Gunsmith Cats OVA and also Riding Bean, then it's a p fun time

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh well yes, sure. The manga is quite a bit dicier and minnie may is the worst character

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jimbot posted:

My Hero Academia has some fanservice (being a shonen superhero story), but the female characters are treated with respect and get to do cool things. In particular, the sweet, kind female lead discovered that what she really wanted was to learn superpowered Krav Maga and do :black101: poo poo all day every day, and both the story and the rest of the cast entirely support her in this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

HxH isn't Jojo's and is more overtly "anime" in some respects but it's a good followup if you enjoy the combination of good character writing and fights based on elaborate logic. There are four protagonists who range from 13-year-old kids to adults, the main two are the kids but it sets aside time for each of them. It's set in a sort of vaguely-defined fantastic setting that's kinda modern in some respects and less so in others.
I knew I was going to forget some shows in my mad dash through the CR catalog, but yeah Kuno Hunter x Hunter is probably another safe bet for you. I'm not the biggest fan of HxH in general but I think there'd be a decent amount of crossover between it and JoJo fans.

Also Yona of the Dawn to the general list I had, that's a great fantasy action adventure story if you want something more on the romance/shoujo side.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Srice posted:

If you only watch the Gunsmith Cats OVA and also Riding Bean, then it's a p fun time

Riding bean is neat but it def has a prototype of the weird uncomfortable bullshit that litters the manga.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
No idea if you can watch it on Crunchyroll but Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit / Seirei no Moribito gets rolled out a lot in this thread for having a great female lead who is both hypercompetent and has a realistic personality for a woman her age. It's v good although if you're explicitly looking for action it's probably a bit slow paced.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

Akatsuki no Yona (Yona of the Dawn) is pretty great. The female MC does start off weak, but as a sheltered princess that's the point. Her growth from there is pretty awesome, however.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
by, like, episode 6 of the anime, yona immediately starts being an absolute badass who doesn't let other people order her how to live her life or hurt people close to her, even when she hasn't learned any sort of self-defense or offensive techniques yet

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I've seen several really good romance/love-triangle anime series like SNAFU and Toradora (and currently working on White Album 2), and am curious if anyone can recommend some comparable series with a female lead, rather than the typical anime scenario of one guy with multiple girls wanting his bone?

I tried watching Ouran (and didn't like it), and am enjoying Kiss Him Not Me from this season, but neither of those are really even the same sort of show. Now that I'm thinking about it, I remember that I saw Bokura ga Ita, too, which was alright but not great - there was a lot of forced soap-opera drama and I didn't like the leads very much. Is there anything more on par with SNAFU or Toradora's character writing?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kimi no Todoke and Lovely Complex would be the first things that come to mind, though they're more romantic comedies than the shows you mentioned.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

chihayafuru isn't that romantic, but it has the triangle going on. great series anyway

my lovely monster isn't quite as good in writing, but it definitely has the triangle. awful first episode tho

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Thanks, I'll look into those! I'm not finding My Lovely Monster or Kimi no Todoke on MAL, are there other names they're known by?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ah, its my little monster sorry

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Thanks!

(Also found Kimi ni Todoke, so nvm there!)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

If you're up for reading manga I'd recommend Bonnouji.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Bonnouji doesn't really have a love triangle, though? Not that it isn't wonderful of course. Also if you're willing to open the manga Pandora's Box then the sky's the limit for shoujo/josei romances really since a lot will feature a female lead.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Bonnouji doesn't really have a love triangle, though? Not that it isn't wonderful of course. Also if you're willing to open the manga Pandora's Box then the sky's the limit for shoujo/josei romances really since a lot will feature a female lead.

He said romance/love triangle, so having a love triangle isn't necessary.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Unfortunately FMA isn't available in the UK but I've started Durara which is pretty good.

Also thanks for the manga recommendations Invictus. The thread you did in BSS got me to start reading a few manga which led to me watching JoJo.

Yona of the dead sounds pretty interesting too. I'll probably try that next.

Thank god for temporary unemployment I guess. At least now I have some stuff to watch while my new employers drag their heels on setting a start date.

Kuno fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 27, 2016

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Kuno posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Unfortunately FMA isn't available in the UK but I've started Durara which is pretty good.

Should you happen to have it, FMAB's on Netflix in the UK, I think.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kuno posted:

Yona of the dead sounds pretty interesting too. I'll probably try that next.
Yona of the dead would be a very, very different series :v:

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I think in particular you should give FMA, Durarara!!, Re:Zero, and Bodacious Space Pirates a look

Spoilers http://imgur.com/a/vCK05

You motherfucker.

I'm sure it will roll back round but jfc what a goddamn dark episode. Enjoying it though.

I finished the first season of Durarara which was good, but I was kind of screaming at the characters in the second half. Just talk to each other. You'd solve literally all your problems if you just talked to each other. I'm imagining the second season will focus on an external threat again which I'm looking forward to but I didn't want to burn out too hard on a single series so I took a break and tried some other shows.

I also watched Yona of the Dawn which I really loved but it ended just as it was really getting going. There is gonna be a second series right? Right!? Yona is gonna get to smooch Hak right? (The show would definitely have been improved if Yona was a necromancer though.)

I'll not jam the thread up with anymore of my dumb opinions but I just wanted to say thanks for being real rad and giving me lots of cool stuff to watch duders. :sun:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

read the yona manga

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kuno posted:

I'll not jam the thread up with anymore of my dumb opinions but I just wanted to say thanks for being real rad and giving me lots of cool stuff to watch duders. :sun:

We love opinions, they're fun!

And yeah, that Re:zero episode was a hell of a thing.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008

a kitten posted:

We love opinions, they're fun!

And yeah, that Re:zero episode was a hell of a thing.

I took that screen-cap because its a pretty loving powerful scene but the evil bad guy stuff isn't actually what stuck with me in the episode. Like the main character is gonna beat the bad guys. Whatever. Sucks to be him and have to live through that trauma over and over but I'm pretty confident that eventually he'll fix things. He is gonna have the worst PTSD in history by the end of it though. What's actually loving me up is that Rem's love ain't ever gonna be reciprocated is it :smith:

I did some googling about Yona, it seems like there was a rumoured second season in 2016 but it never materialized? And they are doing a movie or something that takes place way further into the manga, which seems like an insane thing to do. Does that mean the anime is definitely dead? :(

Is the manga significantly different to the anime? Would I have to start reading it from the beginning or could I jump in at the point where the anime ended; wherever that is?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Kuno posted:

I took that screen-cap because its a pretty loving powerful scene but the evil bad guy stuff isn't actually what stuck with me in the episode. Like the main character is gonna beat the bad guys. Whatever. Sucks to be him and have to live through that trauma over and over but I'm pretty confident that eventually he'll fix things. He is gonna have the worst PTSD in history by the end of it though. What's actually loving me up is that Rem's love ain't ever gonna be reciprocated is it :smith:

I did some googling about Yona, it seems like there was a rumoured second season in 2016 but it never materialized? And they are doing a movie or something that takes place way further into the manga, which seems like an insane thing to do. Does that mean the anime is definitely dead? :(

Is the manga significantly different to the anime? Would I have to start reading it from the beginning or could I jump in at the point where the anime ended; wherever that is?

Naw, the anime was an almost direct adaption, if I recall, but it wouldn't hurt to skim through it up to where the show left off. The manga is just as fantastic as the show, rest assured.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I actually just started Re:Zero, myself and am up to episode 5.

Please tell me the twin maids actually become good characters.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AlternateNu posted:

uh, when they start being characters, which is very very soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

They develop in very different directions, and Rem has an absolutely fantastic arc.