Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Star Trek: Cetacean Ops. It's just a bunch of humpback whales in comically-oversized Starfleet uniforms blooooping at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So Worf just got hit by some space magic that made him hop between alternate realities. At the end of the episode it seems like he didn't actually get back to his original reality since his party didn't happen. He got to keep his sweet trophy though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

CharlieWhiskey posted:

stay safe number one ghost

"'saucer, primary hull, some nacelles'"

And you're not? A non-nerd would have said "disc, bottom bit, some engines". You can't just call us nerds and walk away. As penance, go buy and read the Technical Manual cover to cover. We'll wait here and argue about 'nacelle and warp containment theory' theories.

Never claimed I wasn't. I'm arguing over the internet about Star Trek aren't I?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

So Worf just got hit by some space magic that made him hop between alternate realities. At the end of the episode it seems like he didn't actually get back to his original reality since his party didn't happen. He got to keep his sweet trophy though.

I thought the implication was that he was hopping realities as soon as he hit the anomaly in the shuttle, but it was really minor "hey wasn't that painting on the other side of the replicator?" shifts until he got around Geordi's VISOR and things kicked into turbo BORG ARE EVERYWHERE territory.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We are the Vaporinos. Our entire atmosphere is vape smoke and it's all we can breathe. Are you going to the foam party, broheim? Make sure your trucker hat is off kilter or it is an offense to our ancestors.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not too different from the Malon who are apparently all space garbagemen.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Drone posted:

Star Trek: Cetacean Ops. It's just a bunch of humpback whales in comically-oversized Starfleet uniforms blooooping at each other.

I was going to say that sounds awfully familiar, then it occurred to me that book might have been the reason for the someone thinking of Cetacean Decks when TNG was being created.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drone posted:

Weapons fire hits the ship, a mass of coral explodes out of the cetacean computer console.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Fish reserves are at 5% and falling."
"Squeal out to the Klingon ship, we surrender."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Darwin senses *creak* danger!!!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Hey, so I am mid season 3 in Farscape and loving it.
What are good episodes to show people who aren't prone to wait for a show to find it's voice. Preferably something that would play well for a Doctor Who fan?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
"Doctor Who fan" is quite a broad demographic

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sure it is. Doesn't mean it needs an extra hull strapped to the bottom.

Don't you mean the top?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Moriatti posted:

Hey, so I am mid season 3 in Farscape and loving it.
What are good episodes to show people who aren't prone to wait for a show to find it's voice. Preferably something that would play well for a Doctor Who fan?

The answer is always Crackers Don't Matter.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
They should just do another animated series, but get the studio that did Space Battleship Yamato 2199 to do the animation.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They should just do another animated series, but get the studio that did Space Battleship Yamato 2199 to do the animation.

Animated Star Trek or animated Farscape?

Actually, don't answer, now I want both.

(And yeah, SBY2199 looked sweet, except for all the ladies being in catsuits while everything else was so naval old-timey)

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"Doctor Who fan" is quite a broad demographic

David Tennant era fan.

WarLocke posted:

The answer is always Crackers Don't Matter.

Does that work without character context? That seems like it would be similar to having "Naked Now" as your first or second episode.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WarLocke posted:

Animated Star Trek or animated Farscape?

Actually, don't answer, now I want both.

(And yeah, SBY2199 looked sweet, except for all the ladies being in catsuits while everything else was so naval old-timey)

Oh god yes, if I was somehow in charge of working with the studio to produce ST2266 (:v:) my very first directive would be "NO CATSUITS. AT ALL. EVER"

also no skirt uniforms.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

also no skirt uniforms.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Moriatti posted:

Does that work without character context? That seems like it would be similar to having "Naked Now" as your first or second episode.

Good point.

I kind of feel like the pilot pretty much lays Farscape out. John is lost and doesn't know what the gently caress and everyone around him is crazy. That's like the whole show right there.

e: Wasn't 'The Naked Now' the second episode of TNG?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Actually, wait, that reminds me. One exception to the "no skirts" rule: the gown dress uniforms can stay :getin:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

also mandatory skirt uniforms for everyone.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Variety reporting Bryan Fuller is out as show runner of Discovery.

There goes any hope I had...

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-fuller-showrunner-star-trek-discovery-cbs-1201901398/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Actually, wait, that reminds me. One exception to the "no skirts" rule: the gown dress uniforms can stay :getin:

It's not even a nice gown, it's ill-fitting and it looks like the tailor got lazy and just decided on an arbitrary length. This is where I'd usually point to a better example, but Trek has never had a decent dress uniform. The DS9 Admiral's uniform is closest, followed by the TOS dress uniform, provided you toned down the gold trim and removed the goofy rhinestone jumble on the breast.

CaveGrinch posted:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-fuller-showrunner-star-trek-discovery-cbs-1201901398/
:laffo: What a loving disaster.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 26, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Who the gently caress even approved allowing him to do this simultaneous to two other series at once in the first place. :psyduck:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Pretty sure the thread called this

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I know other Trek projects have had troubled starts and productions but seriously, with this thing it's been nothing be excuses for low quality poo poo (that "teaser" trailer awhile back) and delays. Hopefully the other folks involved so far stay involved, but I'm back to 100% giving no fucks about this.

And yeah, I'm sure somebody in this thread called it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

WarLocke posted:

Good point.

I kind of feel like the pilot pretty much lays Farscape out. John is lost and doesn't know what the gently caress and everyone around him is crazy. That's like the whole show right there.

e: Wasn't 'The Naked Now' the second episode of TNG?

Yeah, you are probably right.
Also, it is, I was being a bit cheeky.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This show is going to be smoldering garbage, and CBS All Access is going to end up like this dude:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gonz posted:

This show is going to be smoldering garbage, and CBS All Access is going to end up like this dude:

Early TNG certainly did have some disparities in tone.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CaveGrinch posted:

Variety posted:

The show’s budget is said to be approaching the $6-7 million per episode range.

whhhaaaaaaaa :aaa:

six million dollars an episode?!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

whhhaaaaaaaa :aaa:

six million dollars an episode?!

Ha, that's the number for Game of Thrones.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
drat! I was really excited for him as the showrunner. At least he's not completely axed though. I'm more worried about the apparent total failure of casting, how hard can that actually be? (I mean probably pretty hard, I know next to nothing about it, but it seems weird.)

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Sounds high but Enterprise was a about 5 million. The Expanse is about the same.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Friendly reminder: Publicized budgets are all bullshit.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

dont even fink about it posted:

Ha, that's the number for Game of Thrones.

So what you're saying is the first episode will end with incest and attempted murder of a child. A bold new direction for Trek.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

This is gonna kill any chance we have of a Star Trek tv show for 10-15 years. I'd rather them not have bothered, if they were going to do it half rear end. So disappointed.

I bet it doesn't even get renewed for a second season. :(

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
With the way things are now if they don't nail it right out of the gate they won't have 3 seasons to "find their footing" and starting pumping out quality episodes, there's no time to gently caress around any more

Or maybe they just keep throwing money at it because gently caress rationality who knows

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
With the way things are going there won't be a CBS All Access to air this on with all the other streaming deals CBS is making.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

So what you're saying is the first episode will end with incest and attempted murder of a child. A bold new direction for Trek.

And Sean Bean will be the captain who's killed in the first episode.