Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

canepazzo posted:

Brexit polls did NOT say it wouldn't pass, far from it:

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/790638388554661888

Yeah, people really doubled down on the idea that Remain had ~momentum~ since the polls stopped shifting so hard in Leave's favor towards the end. The close spread and huge number of undecided voters in a lot of the end game polls should have been a huge red flag, but nobody wanted to believe that a whole country was about to shoot itself in the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

And those are the "major" minor cities of Ohio, not even considering the smaller municipalities like Sharonville, Union, the inexplicable number of Portsmouths, etc which are on an entirely different plane of "lovely places to live." I think I'd rather live in a backwards village in Siberia than live in SE Ohio (minus Athens, very important distinction to make here!), and Dante would need Virgil's help to make it through these Midwestern Circles of Hell.

Now I'm curious: what could be considered the shittiest of the shithole Rust Belt small towns in Ohio? I'm voting Portsmouth B.

Oh man, there's so many different ways I could take this. Portsmouth B is up there, but here's the ones I would note.

- Batavia and Union are like the absolute worst in terms of small towns in the SW part of the state. When we go to pick apples to berries, I am always floored at the sheer number of confederate flags despite this being a firmly union state, and I've watched people roll coal in front of a police car with impunity. Legitimately I can't describe a single industry in the area, although there are like 5 Edward Jones advisors within 3 blocks of each other in the town square which is always funny to me.
- Piketon has that same lack of charm on top of being firmly in the no-man's land between Columbus and Cincinnati as well as suddenly having a cartel presence for both Heroin and Marijuana trafficking.

quote:

1. So where's Kent State? The song that most often pops up in my head is 4 dead in Ohio by Neil Young when thinking about Ohio, followed by that lovely lovely Cincinnati song from Babes in Toyland that I always have repressed.
2. Do you have descriptive opinions of other states you frequent if any? Why is Indiana so conservative compared to Illinois for instance?
3. Is the ARC a hollowed out sack of poo poo excuse of a federal rehab of Appalachia like I'm led to believe?
4. Does anyone here have a drat good summary of Pennsylvania? Last time I was there I was for a model UN conference in Philly...

1. It's out on the northeast edges of the state. Triangulate from Cleveland, Akron, and Erie PA and you'll get drat close. It's also got the sickest HS burn about it with the "Kent read, Kent write, Kent state" joke.
2. Indiana suffered from a lot of Southern migration up to them, kind of like Cincinnati on a grand scale. The other issue is that it just doesn't have a city equipped for heavy economic growth in terms of industries. Say what you will about Ohio, there are 3 major cities and some underlying small ones, and that creates a lot of variety in terms of who comes here and all the industries we're able to keep in state from the university system here being good. Indiana has Indianapolis which is really good at insurance and not much else (maybe like some Ag businesses).
3. Yes
4. Here, let me try. There's Pittsburgh which like to pretend it's better than it is and is really just another Cleveland that got its financial services, tech, and medical boon slightly quicker and got better growth out of it. Philadelphia desperately wants to describe itself as "coastal" or Atlantic in culture but is basically Jersey without the self-confidence. Everything between those two cities is like if you transplanted Arkansas into the North.Think Ohio with one large and one medium city instead of three small ones

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nucleic Acids posted:

And of course this is what my local news chose to focus on this morning so far.
Yeah the Orlando Sentinel tweeted this out earlier. It's an outlier among FL polling, which as Nate Silver pointed out in that one tweet, FL polling has been very very consistent overall.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that's exactly it: Brexit was within the margin of error, and Leave was ahead of Remain in some polls. Trumpsters like to pretend the polls were hilariously wrong because the latest polls before the vote showed Remain winning, but they were within the margin of error.

The previous British parliamentary election is a much better example. Aside from one or two outliers just before polling was cut off pretty much every poll was predicting a very close race. What we actually got was a conservative landslide that only the widely-ignored outliers predicted. The response from pollsters was basically a lot of humming and hawing and a promise to do better next time.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
:qq: We just don't know what their background was and what about their environment led them to this action. Who are we to judge :qq:

:nms::nms:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I really worry about y'all's inability to have a base level empathy for people because you disagree with their political views.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/LGamGam/status/791279504522174464

I'm sure Jill Stein will have something to say about thi-- hahahahahah

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Megyn Kelly occasionally has good opinions when she benefits from them.

Pretty typical for conservatives. They are usually very liberal on the one or two left-wing issues that actually affect them. So a gay conservative is pro gay marriage, a woman conservative is pro maternity leave, a disabled conservative is passionate about compulsory disability adaptions for buildings. Of course, none of them could give a poo poo about the other two issues. It apparently takes superpowers of empathy to be, say, a nondisabled person with no disabled relatives who says "Hey, lets leave some space for wheelchair ramps here."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jill Stein is, thankfully, totally irrelevant.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Reminder
http://www.theonion.com/article/south-postpones-rising-again-for-yet-another-year-377

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Still looking for a list of PPP comedy options she's lost to this year. I can only thing of Harambe and Giant Meteor.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

WampaLord posted:

No, gently caress Megan Kelly, she doesn't get brownie points now because the enemy of my enemy.

Yeah, gotta agree here. Kelly has been up front in the "they were no angels" camp of police shootings, played identity outrage like a champ with her White Santa remarks and such, not to mention the whole Black Panther revival crap.

The fact that she has some connection with reality, unlike, say, Hannity or Alex Jones, arguably makes it worse. She doesn't believe in this crap, but spouts it to climb the corporate/media ladder. And hitting back in the instances where it personally harms her (post-pregnancy support, horrid treatment of women), however adeptly, just highlights her lack of ethics.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

"Yes, sir. The South will rise again, and when it does, I'll be right up front waving the Stars and Bars," said Dock Mullins of Decatur, GA. "But first, I gotta get my truck fixed and get that rusty old stove out of my yard."

Either Decatur has changed a lot since The Onion wrote this article in 2000, or someone is WRONG ON THE INTERNET

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I really worry about y'all's inability to have a base level empathy for people because you disagree with their political views.

I worry about your defense of noted terrible person Megan Kelly, who works for noted terrible organization Fox News.

Like, if I had to save her from a burning building, I would, is that enough empathy? I would give her water if I found her dying of thirst, I do not actively wish harm on her, but I certainly don't empathize with her.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Goatman Sacks posted:

Still looking for a list of PPP comedy options she's lost to this year. I can only thing of Harambe and Giant Meteor.

Ken Bone

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

WampaLord posted:

I worry about your defense of noted terrible person Megan Kelly, who works for noted terrible organization Fox News.

Like, if I had to save her from a burning building, I would, is that enough empathy? I would give her water if I found her dying of thirst, I do not actively wish harm on her, but I certainly don't empathize with her.

"I am perfectly willing to cheerlead a bunch of disgustingly vile misogynistic attacks because I don't like her political views" is uh, pretty bad duder.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BarbarianElephant posted:

a woman conservative is pro maternity leave

Megyn Kelly specifically was anti-maternity leave until she had a child, then she was pro.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"I am perfectly willing to cheerlead a bunch of disgustingly vile misogynistic attacks because I don't like her political views" is uh, pretty bad duder.

Excuse me, when did I do this?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goatman Sacks posted:

DEEZ NUTZ

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Goatman Sacks, and you kind of.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Secret Governments!!!

Actually it's a really good article on how national security policy is made and implemented by people that are unelected

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2014/10/18/vote-all-you-want-the-secret-government-won-change/jVSkXrENQlu8vNcBfMn9sL/story.html

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

When BNGL decided he wanted to get all smugly sanctimonious over the thread

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

Megyn Kelly specifically was anti-maternity leave until she had a child, then she was pro.

A lot of people don't understand things until they've experienced them. That's not uncommon.

Bushiz posted:

When BNGL decided he wanted to get all smugly sanctimonious over the thread

Oh, careful with those stones in the glass house honey.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

A lot of people don't understand things until they've experienced them. That's not uncommon.

No. Conservatives who work actively to gently caress other people over only to find empathy once that specific thing affects their life do not get credit for that. It just shows how morally bankrupt their ideology is.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

the horseshoe theory of politics is right and this thread (and LF's entire existence) are proof that leftists can get just as circle-jerky and unwilling to engage with outside ideas as the people we mock on Freep and Breitbart.

I mean poo poo, people in this thread were getting mad at Nate Silver for WrongThink because he was saying there's not a 0% chance that Trump will win the election. It's insane.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mcmagic posted:

No. Conservatives who work actively to gently caress other people over only to find empathy once that specific thing affects their life do not get credit for that. It just shows how morally bankrupt their ideology is.

I see you've never been wrong about anything ever? Like the point isn't that you get "credit" or "don't get credit." It's that people can evolve on issues and you should at least acknowledge that, and accept it. You don't or shouldn't hold someone as an other because they once held a position you disagreed with.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

axeil posted:

the horseshoe theory of politics is right and this thread (and LF's entire existence) are proof that leftists can get just as circle-jerky and unwilling to engage with outside ideas as the people we mock on Freep and Breitbart.

I mean poo poo, people in this thread were getting mad at Nate Silver for WrongThink because he was saying there's not a 0% chance that Trump will win the election. It's insane.

That's not why people were mad at Nate Silver, stop creating that strawman.

And please, tell me what amazing outside ideas Megan Kelly has that I should be engaging with. Go on, I'll wait. :allears:

Also, horseshoe theory is bullshit to make centrists feel superior about themselves, no wonder you love it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

NRVNQSR posted:

The previous British parliamentary election is a much better example. Aside from one or two outliers just before polling was cut off pretty much every poll was predicting a very close race. What we actually got was a conservative landslide that only the widely-ignored outliers predicted. The response from pollsters was basically a lot of humming and hawing and a promise to do better next time.

Yeah the previous general election was a really bad polling fuckup that kind of led to Brexit happening, because the Tory Prime Minister promised a referendum on EU membership if his party won, but he never expected to actually win because all the polls were pointing toward another coalition government.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

megyn kelly is an idiot but she does not deserve to get rape threats from the alt. right, especially in retaliation for being right for two seconds.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

axeil posted:

Horseshoe Theory is discredit bullshit that is only believed by people who get their political opinions from South Park.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Endorph posted:

megyn kelly is an idiot but she does not deserve to get rape threats from the alt. right, especially in retaliation for being right for two seconds.

more or less my contention

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Goatman Sacks, and you kind of.

Concern trolling over Megyn Kelly is a losing proposition. She's a stopped clock with some sort of frequency, but the driver is always some sort of FYGM event like having a kid. She's an opportunistic rear end in a top hat who shows human decency once every 3 months and is de facto more relatable than her coworkers because she's only 90% terrible versus 105%.

The horror.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, gotta agree here. Kelly has been up front in the "they were no angels" camp of police shootings, played identity outrage like a champ with her White Santa remarks and such, not to mention the whole Black Panther revival crap.

The fact that she has some connection with reality, unlike, say, Hannity or Alex Jones, arguably makes it worse. She doesn't believe in this crap, but spouts it to climb the corporate/media ladder. And hitting back in the instances where it personally harms her (post-pregnancy support, horrid treatment of women), however adeptly, just highlights her lack of ethics.

"The only women's rights that matter are the rights of women who agree with me" - a progressive champion of equality and fairness

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phone posted:

Concern trolling over Megyn Kelly is a losing proposition. She's a stopped clock with some sort of frequency, but the driver is always some sort of FYGM event like having a kid. She's an opportunistic rear end in a top hat who shows human decency once every 3 months and is de facto more relatable than her coworkers because she's only 90% terrible versus 105%.

The horror.
i dont think it's really concern trolling to say that

https://twitter.com/SportsPlusShow/status/791146064699125761

https://twitter.com/MommyKitcat/status/791154351846858752

tweets like these are bad, and shouldn't happen to anyone, regardless of their political opinions

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Phone posted:

The horror.

No one deserves death and rape threats, bub.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

HannibalBarca posted:

"Yes, sir. The South will rise again, and when it does, I'll be right up front waving the Stars and Bars," said Dock Mullins of Decatur, GA. "But first, I gotta get my truck fixed and get that rusty old stove out of my yard."

Either Decatur has changed a lot since The Onion wrote this article in 2000, or someone is WRONG ON THE INTERNET

As someone who's only experience with Georgia are Atlanteans with no accents (and Vince Gilligan, writer of Breaking Bad) please explain

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

Agreed, but when you work with wolves you're going to get bit.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No one deserves death and rape threats, bub.

What if they're non-persons?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kelly (like every human being) doesn't deserve to get rape threats or whatever gendered harassment she is getting from the alt-right. She is also directly responsible for propagating right wing views specifically designed to gently caress over people that aren't her. She deserves no kudos for being "right" on stuff that directly affects her. Maybe if having a kid and realizing her previous views on maternity leave were bad led her to question the other lovely beliefs she had I'd give her some credit for changing (we have all had bad opinions in our lives based on either ignorance or prejudice) but she stopped right there because she's just out for herself so gently caress that. She's a highly educated person working in media, she understands what she is doing so let's not pretend she's uninformed and just doesn't know better.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Goatman Sacks posted:

What if they're non-persons?
'women i disagree with aren't people' is the same logic people use to harass such controversial figures as 'women who make video games'

• Locked thread